PDA

View Full Version : Contains Spoilers! TWD 10x08 "The World Before" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

MinionZombie
23-Nov-2019, 10:51 AM
Please keep all talk of episode 10x08 "The World Before" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: John Dahl
Written by: Julia Ruchman

In the mid-season finale, a fight causes tensions in Oceanside while the Alexandrians set out on a high-stakes mission.

MinionZombie
25-Nov-2019, 10:02 AM
I could have used a bit more 'oomph' for a mid-season finale, although there's a good cliffhanger to leave us on for a couple of months. Hopefully the mid-season premiere will pay off in terms of spectacle.

On the other hand there was a fair bit of business dealt with in this episode, particularly with Dante/Rosita/Gabriel - and nice to have a clear confirmation up top that Dante was a new recruit after Lydia had left the group, so she didn't know him at all, just to answer that hanging question. It was also good to see a little montage of all his nefarious deeds ... what a bastard.

With Michonne heading off to that military base to get weapons for the looming war with The Whisperers, I wonder if there'll be some sort of 'she intends to come back, but events conspire against her' type of story that'll see her exit the show, but then be able to join the movies.

Moon Knight
25-Nov-2019, 02:21 PM
Loved the Rosita/Gabriel/Dante stuff. Obviously.

The ending was pretty underwhelming, though. Fist half was great, loved the cold open.

Overall a good episode with a flat cliffhanger. Dammit, Carol.

Zombie Snack
27-Nov-2019, 01:05 AM
I really enjoyed the opening showing what Dante had been up to, and then Father Gabe going all Rick Grimes on Dante was great, it looks like Carol and her merry band of followers have gotten there self's in quite a pickle.

facestabber
27-Nov-2019, 03:55 AM
That open had my heart racing. Can’t stand the thought of kids/babies suffering. Rositas knee and punches had a lot of emotion in each strike and I could feel each one.

Moon Knight
27-Nov-2019, 02:54 PM
That open had my heart racing. Can’t stand the thought of kids/babies suffering. Rositas knee and punches had a lot of emotion in each strike and I could feel each one.

The only two things I hate seeing suffering/hurt in movies are children and animals. This season is testing my patience, haha.

I also loved how Rosita and Dante threw in a bit of Spanish during their intense exchange.

Neil
27-Nov-2019, 09:02 PM
Loved the Rosita/Gabriel/Dante stuff. Obviously.

The ending was pretty underwhelming, though. Fist half was great, loved the cold open.

Overall a good episode with a flat cliffhanger. Dammit, Carol.

Agreed, although running into a clear trap :rockbrow: And no noise from a huge herd coming up from 20ft below somehow? :rockbrow:

Moon Knight
06-Dec-2019, 04:50 AM
Agreed, although running into a clear trap :rockbrow: And no noise from a huge herd coming up from 20ft below somehow? :rockbrow:

I'm sure my boy MZ could make sense of that one.

Hard to believe Michonne is practically done in this ongoing story of survival horror.

MinionZombie
06-Dec-2019, 10:08 AM
I'm sure my boy MZ could make sense of that one.

Hard to believe Michonne is practically done in this ongoing story of survival horror.

1) Something to do with acoustics? :D It's not a straight shot down there, and everyone's in a rush so their own footsteps, breathing, and other noise would be somewhat of a distraction. It's really more leaping into action, because Carol falls for Alpha's trap, and not having even a second to think. In terms of falling in the hole, you're in unfamiliar territory and it's very dark.

That good enough? ;)

2) Aye. :( But hopefully she'll go on to be in the movies and reunite with Rick.

Moon Knight
06-Dec-2019, 03:45 PM
I think at the time I was watching, I assumed since it was dark and there wasn’t really anything that could rile up the Walkers down there in the depths, that they really kinda shut down until our survivors crashed the party.

MinionZombie
06-Dec-2019, 04:17 PM
I think at the time I was watching, I assumed since it was dark and there wasn’t really anything that could rile up the Walkers down there in the depths, that they really kinda shut down until our survivors crashed the party.

That too and good point - we've seen them be quite docile and quiet when there's nothing to attract their attention.

Rideout
16-Dec-2019, 11:32 AM
Right. They're not always in a feeding frenzy. Makes sense.

Zombie Snack
22-Dec-2019, 12:49 PM
Sounds plausible too me.