PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars IX (film)

Neil
17-Dec-2019, 08:57 PM
Well reviews are not hating it... Can but hope...

shootemindehead
18-Dec-2019, 03:09 AM
Very mixed, as far as I can see.

Beyond caring at this point though.

Neil
18-Dec-2019, 05:40 PM
Very mixed, as far as I can see.

Beyond caring at this point though.

Indeed... Some are slating it... Bizarre! I suspect a couple of good, visually spectacular, but contrived scenes... and a lot of mediocre hokum.

Seeing it on Monday at the Pinewood Studio's theater ;)

shootemindehead
18-Dec-2019, 07:44 PM
Enjoy.

I might download it some time. But I am certainly not handing over money for it.

Neil
20-Dec-2019, 05:39 PM
The reviews are generally crucifying it now!

shootemindehead
20-Dec-2019, 07:44 PM
A mate of mine went last night. Said it was worse than 'The Last Jedi'.

That doesn't sound well.

What an absolute mess this whole thing has been. Am absolute mess.

Neil
20-Dec-2019, 09:25 PM
A mate of mine went last night. Said it was worse than 'The Last Jedi'.

That doesn't sound well.

What an absolute mess this whole thing has been. Am absolute mess.

It's looking that way isn't it... Looks like they've utterly dropped the ball with it all. About the only quality Star Wars film recently I would say is Rogue One, and that's about it :(

ProfessorChaos
21-Dec-2019, 06:08 AM
the very day that disney bought star wars from lucas, i knew that the series was fucked and i pretty much disengaged myself that day from whatever would happen from then on out with the story. it didn't take a clairvoyant to see this shit-show coming from a mile away.

nostalgia and hype got the best of me, though, and i went to see the force awakens on opening day, and it was a decent time i suppose. i ended up going back to see it with my brothers and nephew a week or so later and the shine had already worn off and i saw past the bullshit.

i didn't even bother going to see the last jedi, the reviews and what i heard about it were enough to justify my decision. still haven't seen it, and don't plan to. after the train wreck it turned out to be, i knew there was no way that this one would be able to redeem or salvage what once was a great franchise. episodes 1-6 is where the story starts and stops for me, no thanks mickey, you monopolizing little bastard.

and i don't give a damn how many people circle-jerk about the mandolorian and how awesome the whole baby yoda deal is, the fact they've got an obi-wan series in the works, another series of films on the horizon, etc....i'm not wasting a minute or a dime on anything star wars related that comes from disney. the ignorant cunts had no plan for the property other than to just milk it for every penny they could get their greedy fucking hands on. all they want is to do is sell toys and merchandise (which all the baby yoda bullshit is a perfect example of, if you ask me).

i don't really enjoy being this bitter these days, but the reviews trashing this abortion of a film really bring joy to the dark parts of my heart. fuck disney with a rusty lightsaber.

Moon Knight
22-Dec-2019, 10:56 AM
The prequels were better.

Neil
23-Dec-2019, 09:15 PM
Wow! What a very flat confused whimper of a way to end it all :(

Complete with even an unnecessary woke injection of a pointless/unnecessary lesbian kiss.

blind2d
24-Dec-2019, 04:56 PM
Wow! What a very flat confused whimper of a way to end it all :(

Complete with even an unnecessary woke injection of a pointless/unnecessary lesbian kiss.

Alright then Neil, what's this about... Let me read your post again... Okay. You're complaining about seeing a lesbian kiss on screen? ...Are you feeling okay?

(It's not "woke". There have been lesbian kisses in movies for decades.)

But yes, I've read a couple reviews. Will see with the fam in a few days, but... Mrr. Disney can go to hell.

Neil
27-Dec-2019, 06:35 PM
Alright then Neil, what's this about... Let me read your post again... Okay. You're complaining about seeing a lesbian kiss on screen? ...Are you feeling okay?

(It's not "woke". There have been lesbian kisses in movies for decades.)

My issue is it was there only for the sake of it being there. It had no plot/character reason to exist other than to be woke... And the other significant kiss, between the two significant lead characters (being vague incase people haven't seen it), was so bad and contrived it almost made me homosexual. It's akin to the woke madness of Harry Potter retrospectively turning gay or black for Rowling just to virtue signal a bit...

Anyway the film, TBH like most of them, was a shallow mess.

MinionZombie
28-Dec-2019, 10:18 AM
I enjoyed it. Fuck y'all. :D

It's certainly got its flaws, but there's a whiff of "cool to hate it" encircling this now. The sequel series has certainly faltered at times and suffered from, seemingly, not having a proper trilogy-long story plotted out in advance ... and while there's an air of "bringing it in for a safe landing" (ironic considering how many unsafe landings are depicted in the film :p ), it doesn't deserve to be slammed either, far from it.

They did the best they could, considering the circumstances, with Leia and trying to tie up her story - but it's an impossible task to pull of perfectly when your actress has sadly passed away and you're (wisely) not doing the CGI recreation route.

I liked that a large chunk of the movie featured Rey, Finn, and Poe on-screen together after everyone was split apart in the last movie, and C3-PO got much more to do this time around, which was nice - and Chewie, still kind of underused, at least got some powerful moments:

When he discovers that Leia has died - meaning that he has lost Han, Luke, and Leia - his break down tugged at my heart strings.

There's the odd thing that really didn't work for me, e.g.:

The Chewie's dead fake-out and the reason for it - oh it was another transporter? Eh, how many transporters were there? We only saw one, didn't we? That seemed a bit silly in how it was orchestrated and it felt like there was more room for Rey to regret her mistake that wasn't taken advantage of.

I generally felt that the film did a solid enough job navigating around some of the developments in The Last Jedi:

Rey's parents, for instance - I enjoyed the return of Palpatine and for Rey to be his granddaughter - and the 'obscured truth' thing worked well enough.

It was good that they didn't try to resurrect Luke as a living being and kept him as a 'force ghost', but it was nice to see him back for a little bit - and Han Solo, too! That was a nice surprise.

I enjoyed the sense of redemption that the film offered up, and the scale was impressive - and visually it was spectacular.

The main annoyance? The wee bastard kicking my seat from behind. A Dad with his three boys - do some parenting, ya numpty, you're right there and can see he's fussing his feet about on the back of my seat FIVE damn times, tell him to pack it in. Naturally, I was too polite to say anything because I'm British, so just passive aggressively shunted my reclining seat back and forth to nudge the little prick's legs off my seat. :lol:

Then, on the way out of the retail park afterwards, I had the most polite car shunt ever. Fortunately there was no damage (a car reversed into me on a congested roundabout), and the driver apologised fully and profusely straight away and accepted full responsibility. I was seeing red as I got out of the car, but I've always been of the opinion that if I'm treated with respect I shall return that in-kind (and likewise if I'm treated disrespectfully then no respect shall be given), and he was very apologetic and apologised to my passenger and we shook hands one decent bloke to another.

So a bit of a palava on the way out (the retail park was fucking heaving, and you basically have to drive through the heart of it to reach the cinema, but the roads are so thin and poxy everything just ground to a near halt), but it was nice to close out the trilogy - and nice to see that the cinema (which I hadn't been to in two years - for SW:TLJ) had been completely refurbished throughout (lobby, toilets, cinema - the lot).

Anyway - back to the film - there's certainly flaws, no doubt about it, with the sequel trilogy ... but billy bollocks is the prequel trilogy better. :lol: Come on, Moon. :lol::lol::lol: I thought this one did a better job again with Rey (after improvements for her character in #8) - she generally had to fight hard, didn't always succeed, and had been doing a lot of training - and while Finn has never really had an awful lot to do he was better employed in this movie that in TLJ (the Finn/Rose subplot was ultimately totally pointless in TLJ). Similarly, Poe felt more important to proceedings.

There's no doubt that the stewardship of this sequel trilogy has been uneven, but it's also just as true that the fans have been just as all over the bloody shop with their reactions (some of them quite horrendous and unfair - and it's particularly unfair to expect these new films to make you react to them as you did to the original trilogy when your were a child!!!), but at the same time 7 through 9 are totally deserving of some criticisms (why on earth, for instance, would you bring back Star Wars and never have Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie on screen together?)

The movies have faltered most when it comes to story (that feeling of not having a clear trilogy-long roadmap drawn out in advance), but they've also been great spectacle events. Now, The Mandalorian on the other hand, has really brought me into the story and the characters and I'm eagerly awaiting a second season.

EvilNed
29-Dec-2019, 08:38 AM
What a fucking trainwreck of a movie. It's not necessarily horrible or terrible. But it's certainly bad.

I don't know where to begin with it, because there's just so much going on and it's all going so fast. Incredibly fast. Part of the reason I guess is that they totally ignore The Last Jedi, and The Last Jedi in turn ingored The Force Awakens... So we end up with a film that's supposed to tie up an epic trilogy that isn't there. There's nothing to tie up. So it has to establish everything in this one single film, and every new scene is a new idea that's thrown your way.

I have so many questions tho. The film throws stuff at you but doesn't care to explain half of it - or it does so poorly.

But as I said, it's not terrible or horrible. It's just bad. It's bad in a way that an AAA+ movie title shouldn't be, because a film of this magnitude should at least be throught through. This isn't.

shootemindehead
29-Dec-2019, 07:50 PM
What a fucking trainwreck of a movie. It's not necessarily horrible or terrible. But it's certainly bad.

I don't know where to begin with it, because there's just so much going on and it's all going so fast. Incredibly fast. Part of the reason I guess is that they totally ignore The Last Jedi, and The Last Jedi in turn ingored The Force Awakens... So we end up with a film that's supposed to tie up an epic trilogy that isn't there. There's nothing to tie up. So it has to establish everything in this one single film, and every new scene is a new idea that's thrown your way.

I have so many questions tho. The film throws stuff at you but doesn't care to explain half of it - or it does so poorly.

But as I said, it's not terrible or horrible. It's just bad. It's bad in a way that an AAA+ movie title shouldn't be, because a film of this magnitude should at least be throught through. This isn't.

The entire trilogy wasn't thought through Ned.

Neil
29-Dec-2019, 08:02 PM
oh it was another transporter?That was chicken feed - Somehow they landed one small dune away from the huge festival, and didn't see it as they came down? :)

BTW can you explain why Kylo flew his tie fighter at Rey, not firing, seemingly just so she could do the cut? Huh?

Anyway, most of this trilogy for me has been fairly contrived shallow affair. In fact the only Star Wars film that I though raised the bar was Rogue One. Just my opinion...

EvilNed
29-Dec-2019, 08:42 PM
Agreed, Rogue One was good. I enjoyed it alot.

As for this film, it's so cheap. There are no less than five times when the audience is tricked into thinking a character is dead, with dramatic pompous, and then ends up alive and well.

Chewie's transport getting destroyed, that was so god damn cheap. C3PO's memory getting wiped, then restored again. Zorii(?)'s planet getting blown up, and we KNOW she's still there because she gave her passport to Poe - then she suddenly turns up at the end alive and well in the final fight because of "reasons". Kylo Ren getting blasted into the abyss by Palpatine, then returning to... You guessed it, bring back Rey from the dead. Rey being the fifth, in case you missed it.

This contrasted with Rogue One where it's the absolute opposite...

Neil
30-Dec-2019, 09:46 AM
I must admit as Jedi's have got more and more super duper with their powers, I've got more and more uninterested. ie: If the rules get that vague then they can ultimately do anything at anytime, so what's to concern yourself about. eg: Kylo's tie figher crashing, with not a moment's concern he would survive the following massive crash... Or entire space ships being pulled back and forth by uber powers...

shootemindehead
30-Dec-2019, 05:04 PM
That was chicken feed - Somehow they landed one small dune away from the huge festival, and didn't see it as they came down? :)

BTW can you explain why Kylo flew his tie fighter at Rey, not firing, seemingly just so she could do the cut? Huh?

Anyway, most of this trilogy for me has been fairly contrived shallow affair. In fact the only Star Wars film that I though raised the bar was Rogue One. Just my opinion...

An opinion that's shared by many. 'Rogue One' added to the over all Star Wars story. These rubbish sequels have just taken away from it and in too many cases negated it and what the characters of the originals achieved.

They've been bloody awful.

blind2d
31-Dec-2019, 08:38 PM
An opinion that's shared by many. 'Rogue One' added to the over all Star Wars story. These rubbish sequels have just taken away from it and in too many cases negated it and what the characters of the originals achieved.

They've been bloody awful.

I agree, having finally actually seen the damn thing. Sorry Neil. I was too hostile. Overall I think Episode Nine deserves a 4/10. (But I still thought the kiss was nice. Not the big one though. Kill that with fire). Actually, can we do a re-edit of this film where only the good parts are left in? It'd be like an hour, but still.

Moon Knight
02-Jan-2020, 03:11 PM
Rogue One was dope.

These last three movies just don’t feel like Star Wars with characters that are pretty uninteresting and flat.

bassman
28-Mar-2020, 11:59 AM
Only now seeing this. I have to agree with MZ, I enjoyed it! It’s got it’s issues, quite a few, but considering all of the complications before cameras even started rolling, it’s quite remarkable that it came out as coherent as it did!

It’s not the “ending”(c’mon, we all know a few years down the road, they’ll bring the new crew back) we’d hoped for, but it’s acceptable. Even before Force Awakens was released, I primed myself to temper expectations because I knew they’d never live up to the originals, so that mindset of “just give it a chance for fun” probably helped. Plus, as I get older it becomes more and more silly to get bent out of shape over a movie. I go in expecting fun, I’m not looking to be overly negative and whine, I just want to be entertained and this film at least delivered on that.

Neil
28-Mar-2020, 12:28 PM
Only now seeing this. I have to agree with MZ, I enjoyed it! It’s got it’s issues, quite a few, but considering all of the complications before cameras even started rolling, it’s quite remarkable that it came out as coherent as it did!

It’s not the “ending”(c’mon, we all know a few years down the road, they’ll bring the new crew back) we’d hoped for, but it’s acceptable. Even before Force Awakens was released, I primed myself to temper expectations because I knew they’d never live up to the originals, so that mindset of “just give it a chance for fun” probably helped. Plus, as I get older it becomes more and more silly to get bent out of shape over a movie. I go in expecting fun, I’m not looking to be overly negative and whine, I just want to be entertained and this film at least delivered on that.

If the final three films had been akin to Rogue One in quality, I'd have been happy. But IMHO they were generally just weak, and at times a "politically correct" compromise :(

I doubt I'll ever watch them again TBH...

bassman
04-Apr-2020, 10:44 AM
If the final three films had been akin to Rogue One in quality, I'd have been happy. But IMHO they were generally just weak, and at times a "politically correct" compromise :(

I doubt I'll ever watch them again TBH...

That’s fair. I enjoyed Rogue One, it was a good movie, but it just wasn’t FUN like a Star Wars flick. Of course the nature of the story calls for it to be a bit more serious, but it’s just lacking that sense of adventure that I personally associate with the franchise.

The Sequel Trilogy and Solo no doubt have their problems, but I’ve given them more repeat viewings simply because of that sense of fun. Rogue One(again, I liked it!) was just so dour and gloomy, that it barely fit the title of “a Star Wars movie”, IMO.

MinionZombie
04-Apr-2020, 04:25 PM
That’s fair. I enjoyed Rogue One, it was a good movie, but it just wasn’t FUN like a Star Wars flick. Of course the nature of the story calls for it to be a bit more serious, but it’s just lacking that sense of adventure that I personally associate with the franchise.

The Sequel Trilogy and Solo no doubt have their problems, but I’ve given them more repeat viewings simply because of that sense of fun. Rogue One(again, I liked it!) was just so dour and gloomy, that it barely fit the title of “a Star Wars movie”, IMO.

I suppose Rogue One is more of a war movie in a more gritty, current day sense - whereas Star Wars, in general, is birthed more of a combination of serials, WWII comic books, and Samurai films.

One of the writers of Rise of Skywalker was interviewed recently and they said that they've never written on a project that had this many drafts and changes. No wonder the final film has its variety of issues. Again, I still enjoyed it, although of that sequel trilogy RoS is the one I like least. TFA and TLJ on the other hand I pretty much like evenly between the two with each doing certain things I liked more than the other and vice versa.

bassman
05-Apr-2020, 12:12 PM
^ yeah, ROS is definitely a patch job. So much so that the infamous “Palpatine has returned, I don’t know how, but he returned”(featured in trailers) scene is so obviously a reshoot because of the horrible wig on Oscar Isaac. Then of course they also had to craft scenes around Carrie Fisher’s existing footage, Lando is just forced in as the only remaining OT crew, etc.

Quite a few bug issues, yet somehow it still came together. It’s a wonder they were able to make a passable film at all.

EvilNed
05-Apr-2020, 12:59 PM
After all these years.. Star Wars didn't go out with a bang, but with a whimper.

Exatreides
27-Apr-2020, 04:00 PM
I enjoyed the force awakens. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't horrid. I've been a fan of the old expanded Star Wars universe and was really looking forward to a Yuhzhon Vong sorta war going on. When Disney bought the series and shelved the EU, I knew things would be bad. The new trilogy is almost a bad copy of a copy of the original series. Complete with evil fascist human empire, storm troopers, super weapons, and desert planets.

It's just been lazy safe writing. I've read much more inspiring zombie fan fiction on here compared to the Fan fiction that the Last Jedi was.

Luckily the Mandalorian and Rogue one show that good original stories can still be told in the Star Wars universe.

Neil
15-Jul-2020, 11:32 AM
Interesting rumours...

AFWXyiQqQ6s

EvilNed
16-Jul-2020, 11:35 AM
I don't buy it.
There is such a vast amount of CGI in these films that it'd be impossible for there to be such extensive amount of work be done on an "alternate cut" without prior go-ahead from powers-that-be. This sort of stuff may have worked back in the days when all that required for a different cut was just more time in the editing suite, but that's a long gone phenomena.

Any supposed "alternate cut" would be so filled with poor workprint CGI that it'd be impossible for it to receive such a marked increase in audience score at a supposed screening.

shootemindehead
16-Jul-2020, 01:11 PM
George Lucas can't do anything to save this awful trilogy, never mind just ep. IX.

It's a fat disaster from beginning to end.

Moon Knight
16-Jul-2020, 03:21 PM
George Lucas can't do anything to save this awful trilogy, never mind just ep. IX.

It's a fat disaster from beginning to end.

Aye. It’s amazing just how disappointing those films turned out to be.

Neil
17-Jul-2020, 08:32 AM
I don't buy it.
There is such a vast amount of CGI in these films that it'd be impossible for there to be such extensive amount of work be done on an "alternate cut" without prior go-ahead from powers-that-be. This sort of stuff may have worked back in the days when all that required for a different cut was just more time in the editing suite, but that's a long gone phenomena.

Any supposed "alternate cut" would be so filled with poor workprint CGI that it'd be impossible for it to receive such a marked increase in audience score at a supposed screening.

I wonder why Lucas would even had access to the studio/film? He's no longer "Star Wars". Unless he was brought in as the film was having issues?

shootemindehead
17-Jul-2020, 04:42 PM
Aye. It’s amazing just how disappointing those films turned out to be.

Mmmm..Disney bought something that they overlooked in 1976 and put the wrong people in charge of it. It's truly spectacular just how badly they fucked it up. But then again, letting JJ Abrams at the helm of Episode VII should have been a wake up call to everyone.

In years to come it'll be a bench mark on what not to do.

Astonishing.

EvilNed
18-Jul-2020, 09:13 AM
I wonder why Lucas would even had access to the studio/film? He's no longer "Star Wars". Unless he was brought in as the film was having issues?

He probably doesn't. This wreaks of just wishful thinking.

MinionZombie
18-Jul-2020, 09:21 AM
He probably doesn't. This wreaks of just wishful thinking.

Maybe somebody caught a whiff of "Release The Snyder Cut" and thought they'd have a go?

Neil
18-Jul-2020, 11:32 AM
Maybe somebody caught a whiff of "Release The Snyder Cut" and thought they'd have a go?

A Lucas cut of IX would sell like hot cakes!

bassman
19-Jul-2020, 11:08 AM
As others have said, I don’t see how this could even be possible. Lucas isn’t directly attached to the franchise anymore.

The upcoming Justice League Snyder Cut is probably the cause of this. However, that’s an entirely different set of circumstances. Lucas on Star Wars would be like bringing Richard Donner to reconfigure JL. Just doesn’t make sense.