PDA

View Full Version : Picard (Star Trek TV Series)

Neil
03-Feb-2020, 05:57 PM
Not overly impressed with it so far. With try a few more episodes though...

- - - Updated - - -

After two episodes here were my comments to some friends...

Pros
Nice to have some sort of Trek back on the TV (well Amazon)
Nice to have an older "hero", as the core character
Visually good
Cons Not truly family friendly, with it being more adult orientated for seemingly no real reason. eg: F-bombs and the like?
Picard seems to have no respect due from Star Fleet even though he's like saved the human race a couple of times?
Stupid MacGuffin devices that are totally face palm in believability
Daft characters like Romulans with Irish accents and mannerisms
Stupid Abrams over blown lens flare type lighting
Contemporary political message(s) seemingly buried in there no doubt about Brexit bad, Orange man bad, racism bad, white supremacy bad, diversity is our stength... woke woke etc
Hopes
The story finally gets going soon. It seems to be going around in circles with no real "Treking" thus far. I've seen more than enough of Picards vineyard now!
More character come in that are actually interesting. I believe 7 of 9 is coming into the series? Hopefully with the same impressive buffers!

ps: Why are space yards (building space ships) since Abrams on the ground? Why not in space like in the original films?

blind2d
03-Feb-2020, 09:30 PM
Pfffh... I see what you're saying, but, why do you "woke shame" all the time, Neil? I too get annoyed by mass media/corporations profiteering off of actual social injustice and civil concerns, but surely it's better than if they went full-in for the right wing, yeah? (Conservatives, I mean. It's switched in the UK, yeah?) Does there even need to be more Star Trek? I don't think so. But here we are. LMK when there's a Farscape reboot, or more Firefly. But yeah, this seems like the showrunners paid too much attention to the Abrams films, and not the "true soul" (if a piece of serialized television can be said to have such a thing) of the original Roddenberry creation. Weird how liberals/centrists can have diversity messaging, and then still use racial/ethnic stereotypes in the same narrative, isn't it? Kinda paradoxical.

shootemindehead
04-Feb-2020, 11:38 AM
Not overly impressed with it so far. ...

Re: modern politics (and as someone who thinks that 'Star Trek' hasn't been good since the 90's), doesn't the whole "white supremacy" thing go against Rodenberry's vision? Since 60's Trek, hasn't the galaxy been rid of differences like that? If they are trying to bring this type of stuff into Star Trek now, it sounds like the new writers of this have things wrong just about as much as the new writers of Star Wars had things wrong.

It sounds like they haven't seen an episode of 'Star Trek' before.

On a side note, I absolutely loathe JJ fucking Abrams.

EvilNed
05-Feb-2020, 08:29 AM
Re: modern politics (and as someone who thinks that 'Star Trek' hasn't been good since the 90's), doesn't the whole "white supremacy" thing go against Rodenberry's vision? Since 60's Trek, hasn't the galaxy been rid of differences like that? If they are trying to bring this type of stuff into Star Trek now, it sounds like the new writers of this have things wrong just about as much as the new writers of Star Wars had things wrong.

It sounds like they haven't seen an episode of 'Star Trek' before.

On a side note, I absolutely loathe JJ fucking Abrams.

No, the Federation has been rid of issues like that, the galaxy sure hasn't. And even so the Federation can still be xenophobic toward other races. That's what The Undiscovered Country was about, as well as the Ferengi subplots of Deep Space 9.

Overall I'm not super impressed, but that can be chalked up to high expectations. It's certainly much better, and very different, from the send off Discovery got. I love the setting, the characters and the timeline - but the mystery itself is not very interesting. Synthetic sleeper agents... I don't know.
There are some minor nitpicks as well in the details. Why not use the Tal Shiar as the main antagonist rather than inventing a subsidiary of the Tal Shiar? Why complicate things? Most viewers are probably more familiar with the Tal Shiar - if at all. Stuff like that...

As for "modern politics"... Well, uh.... I don't know what you were expecting but if it did not feature any of that then it wouldn't be Star Trek to begin with. We're talking about the first franchise to ever feature an interracial kiss, or (one of?) the first lesbian kiss on american television.

Neil
21-Jun-2021, 10:46 AM
Series 2 is on the way... I didn't make it through the first...

UDNAdudbg1g

^ spoilers of sorts...

Rottedfreak
14-Jul-2021, 07:42 PM
Orville is my Star Trek.

Neil
22-Mar-2022, 09:25 AM
Series 2 is on the way... I didn't make it through the first...

UDNAdudbg1g

^ spoilers of sorts...

Anyone watched it? Having given up during S1, should I bother with S2?

JDP
22-Mar-2022, 10:47 AM
Disengage!

shootemindehead
22-Mar-2022, 09:29 PM
Is that Q in the thumbnail?

I know that age will hit everyone at some point, including DeLancey, but why would an alien being that resides in infinity age?

:confused:

Neil
23-Mar-2022, 09:06 AM
Is that Q in the thumbnail?

I know that age will hit everyone at some point, including DeLancey, but why would an alien being that resides in infinity age?

:confused:

Indeed... Why does an immortal super entity look 30yrs older?

paranoid101
23-Mar-2022, 05:55 PM
Anyone watched it? Having given up during S1, should I bother with S2?

If you gave up on season 1, then I'm sorry to say but season 2 is pretty much more of the same apart for maybe they have a lower budget seeing how our heroes are now in 2024.

Neil
24-Mar-2022, 08:40 AM
If you gave up on season 1, then I'm sorry to say but season 2 is pretty much more of the same apart for maybe they have a lower budget seeing how our heroes are now in 2024.

Back in 2024? So a time travel affair? Please don't tell me to sort out some event to do with the climate catastrophe or some evil right wing politics?

paranoid101
31-Mar-2022, 08:33 PM
Back in 2024? So a time travel affair? Please don't tell me to sort out some event to do with the climate catastrophe or some evil right wing politics?

New episode isn't out till tomorrow, but yes it looks that way with climate catastrophe and some evil right wing politics.

Neil
10-Feb-2023, 09:02 AM
Gave up with season 1 & 2... But Season 3 seems to be getting some good reports so I'll give it another go...

KMyQkazS1hA

Neil
31-Mar-2023, 11:07 AM
Well, four episodes in and I'm enjoying it... Feels far more like a conventional Star Trek again...

EvilNed
23-Apr-2023, 05:21 PM
Season 3 was by far the best of the bunch. I really liked it and it managed to give all recurring characters something new to both work with, but also struggle with.
Also quite a few characters return from all over Trek.
Regarding Season 1 and 2 being sub-par, this should be inescuseable in today's TV-climate but it IS however in line with more or less all of the Star Trek-shows since TNG onwards. None of the Season 1 are good, and most of them find their footing from Season 2, or more often 3, onwards.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is great too.

Mike70
26-Apr-2023, 09:46 PM
Picard is......decent but the tie-ins with Star Trek Online (perhaps not apparent to the casual viewer/non-player) disturb me. I play STO and am a Trek fan. Trek is allowing STO is paint it into a corner...in a lot of ways, not the least in the constant creation of classes of ships, Federation, Klingon,Romulan, etc. you name it, they got it. The problem? A lot of the stuff from STO, particularly the ships, are showing up in shows and being pushed as being "canon". It's become like an almost never ending feeding frenzy for Cryptic and Paramount: The shows being used to shill the creation of new ships, equipment, races, story lines, etc in STO. All of that is being created to do nothing more than keep gamers buying stuff on STO...and since everything that happens in STO is canon to Trek's main storyline? you can do the rest of the story for yourself...particularly if you are a gamer.