PDA

View Full Version : Day Of The Dead: TV Series

MagicMoonMonkey
28-Feb-2020, 04:51 PM
A wee bit of pee came out of me when I logged onto Daily Dead and saw that SyFy have ordered a 10 part TV remake.

I thought... THE ORIGINAL SCRIPT! That would be amazing!!! I then read the synopsis and it doesn't even look like it will be anything like the Romero classic. I think it looks like it will be very similar to Netflix's Black Summer. (which is ok, but nowhere near the class of the first season of Fear the Walking Dead)

Anyway. I thought I would share as I don't see why it should only be my little black heart that weeps at the thought of another murdering of Day of the Dead.

https://dailydead.com/syfy-orders-day-of-the-dead-tv-series-kardiacs-daydreams-of-crime-scenes-a-bad-place-premiere-details/

MinionZombie
28-Feb-2020, 05:06 PM
Ugh, another butchering of the name - just steal the name and shit out anything at all.

Who knows, it could be amazing, but it could just as easily be garbage like everything else (other than the original 1985 film) that has that title attached to it.

JDP
28-Feb-2020, 06:39 PM
SyFy channel is not the most ideal place to pick up something like this. Also, from the synopsis it looks like the producers don't really know what Romero's Day is actually about. "First 24 hours of an undead invasion"??? LOL! Yeah, methinks you folks are confusing Day with Night (pun 101% fully intended!)

Oh, and just a "wild guess": they will run and jump like athletes in a decathlon. Right? PFFFFF!....

MagicMoonMonkey
28-Feb-2020, 07:19 PM
SyFy channel is not the most ideal place to pick up something like this. Also, from the synopsis it looks like the producers don't really know what Romero's Day is actually about. "First 24 hours of an undead invasion"??? LOL! Yeah, methinks you folks are confusing Day with Night (pun 101% fully intended!)

Oh, and just a "wild guess": they will run and jump like athletes in a decathlon. Right? PFFFFF!....

You know that the visionaries responsible for the reimagining's of Day of the Dead always try to outdo each other.

We had talking mutant zombies in DotD: Contagium. We had spiderman and vegetarian zombies in DotD 08 and we had the panty sniffing half zombie ninja version of Bub in DotD: Bloodline. You can bet your soul that these will be runners with some "new twist to ramp up the terror" to break the collective hearts of the fans of Day.

So many chances to do the original script. Make a proper horror movie and time and time again they just rape the name of a true classic to make whatever drug fuelled nonsense that they come up with in a crackhouse brain-storming session.

They are not fans of the original masterpiece despite what they say.

Moon Knight
05-Mar-2020, 02:50 PM
It’s really not hard. I don’t get it.

MinionZombie
05-Mar-2020, 04:40 PM
It’s really not hard. I don’t get it.

I know.

Now, there could be a rights issue with the original script - but assuming that was all a-okay, you could take Romero's original Day script and adapt that (flesh it out further, tweak the odd thing that doesn't quite work etc). Zombie content these days doesn't really explore the idea of innate behaviour or 'training' zombies (as if they were animals), which was an underlying theme of Romero's zombie films, which was particularly clear in Dawn/Day/Land, but also quite explicitly in Survival.

To see a polished up version of Romero's original script would have been a golden opportunity.

But no. Instead...

Adj7bGqWvXM

paranoid101
16-Aug-2022, 06:58 PM
It's out now in the UK on the SciFi channel

Ign gave the premire a 4/10 and say its bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq05CsCBnnw&ab_channel=IGN

MinionZombie
16-Aug-2022, 09:54 PM
Blimey, sounds like absolute shite ... mind you, being that the poster is literlly flipping the middle finger, that about says it all.

Any clips I've seen it's stunning that anybody had the balls to make any connection whatsoever to Romero's film.

It's insulting that people get paid to write that garbage and crap like that actually gets made. Perhaps if "SyFy" actually bothered to get some talent involved in their shows they'd make a hit. Perhaps they've got managers from the same brain trust that thinks making CW shows even cheaper will be a good idea. :lol:

shootemindehead
17-Aug-2022, 03:12 AM
I wish they would stop using that name for shite.

Neil
17-Aug-2022, 08:27 AM
Like so much these days, it's just 'skin appropriation' to slide something else in using a famous skin. eg: The new Robin Hood series using all the canon of the name "Robin Hood" to instead sneak in a black female character.

Here we have all the fame and canon of Romero's "Day of the Dead" being used to sneak in a modern generic zombie production.

JDP
17-Aug-2022, 10:57 AM
Like so much these days, it's just 'skin appropriation' to slide something else in using a famous skin. eg: The new Robin Hood series using all the canon of the name "Robin Hood" to isntead sneak in a black female character.

Wokin Hood?

MinionZombie
17-Aug-2022, 12:25 PM
Like so much these days, it's just 'skin appropriation' to slide something else in using a famous skin. eg: The new Robin Hood series using all the canon of the name "Robin Hood" to isntead sneak in a black female character.

Here we have all the fame and canon of Romero's "Day of the Dead" being used to sneak in a modern generic zombie production.

I think this is less a "bait and switch" and more just slapping the most basic of basic 'elements' to piggy back on name brand recognition. "Day of the Dead" + "zombies" = money ... or so they think.

The way that Taurus et al have abused the Day of the Dead IP and Romero's name is vile.

paranoid101
17-Aug-2022, 04:40 PM
I've watched the first episode, pretty much the only tie in to the Movie is some of the characters are named the same like Rhodes now works in fracking, my first thought after watching the episode is its like if you bought Z Nation from Wish.com, it trying to be a bit tongue in cheek and fails, some of the make up and gore aren't awful, but the story, actors, reason for zombies coming back to life and over all feel is it's dogshit and not just dogshit but white dogshit.

2/10 and it only gets a 2 due to sum gore effects.

Its on Sky SyFy not the SyFy channel in the uk.

JDP
18-Aug-2022, 01:04 AM
LOL @ the "Inspired by George A. Romero" caption:

https://media.comicbook.com/2021/08/day-of-the-dead-poster-syfy-2021-1279936.jpeg?auto=webp&width=1080&height=1080&crop=1080:1080,smart

MinionZombie
18-Aug-2022, 09:50 AM

And right next to the aforementioned flipped middle finger. :rockbrow:

Neil
18-Aug-2022, 12:31 PM
Criminal!

- - - Updated - - -

https://media.comicbook.com/2021/08/day-of-the-dead-poster-syfy-2021-1279936.jpeg

They've even appropriated the font style of the original's too!

And, "They're coming for you?" Referencing Night?

https://i0.wp.com/bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Screen-Shot-2017-07-03-at-2.35.18-PM.jpg

paranoid101
18-Aug-2022, 04:52 PM
Ok I'm two episodes deep and I can't look away, its just so bad, I gave it a 2 out 10 yesterday, well after episode 2 I've really have to give it 1/10 because I watched a zombies disembodied arm crawl across the floor and up a wall to open a door.

It's such a shame because this does have budget and the practical effects are not bad, but good lord its a bad show, they have also added their version of Bud into it now by a character picking up a jacket with the name on.

I just cant look away, pray for me guys pray for me.

beat_truck
18-Aug-2022, 08:05 PM
LOL @ the "Inspired by George A. Romero"

And right next to the aforementioned flipped middle finger. :rockbrow:

To make that poster even more accurate, they should have turned the hand the other other direction so it's giving the finger to Romero's name, because that's exactly what they're doing with this POS anyhow.:mad:

Neil
19-Aug-2022, 09:18 AM
Ok I'm two episodes deep and I can't look away, its just so bad, I gave it a 2 out 10 yesterday, well after episode 2 I've really have to give it 1/10 because I watched a zombies disembodied arm crawl across the floor and up a wall to open a door.

It's such a shame because this does have budget and the practical effects are not bad, but good lord its a bad show, they have also added their version of Bud into it now by a character picking up a jacket with the name on.

I just cant look away, pray for me guys pray for me.

Thanks! You've saved me from wasting a single minute on it...

Neil
28-Aug-2022, 11:36 AM
Caught about ten minutes of it... Felt like Z Nation...

paranoid101
29-Aug-2022, 05:07 PM
Caught about ten minutes of it... Felt like Z Nation...

Z Nation is Game of Thrones season one, when put against Day of the Dead.

I did watch all episodes of this rubbish and they even used Salem's Lot and headphones on their version of Bud and to fuck with it all they killed off their Rhodes Character by having him ripped in half shouting "choke on em" ffs, they desecrated the Movie using the Characters names and lines and then using nothing from the movie setting at all.

Also there was so much talking between characters, it was like 1 minute of action and then 20 minutes of them talking, guess its cheaper doing dialogue then effects which makes me wish they even had a good script.

I've watched some really bad Zombie stuff over the years and this with a reasonable budget, the fucking name of a classic Romero movie and they fuck it up this bad, easily one of the worse things I've ever watched, it wasn't even funny bad.

Watch at your peril.

0/10

Skinrash
30-Aug-2022, 03:26 PM
The lore and rules were really inconsistent in this show. They have a lengthy embalming scene showing in lingering detail how blood is drained from corpses before burial, but the zombies who were chopped up by the lawnmower were buried and had loads of blood in them. The corpse at the funeral gets it's head bashed in and stays dead, but one of the lawnmower victims gets it's head cut to bits and keeps on going.

MinionZombie
30-Aug-2022, 03:47 PM
The lore and rules were really inconsistent in this show. They have a lengthy embalming scene showing in lingering detail how blood is drained from corpses before burial, but the zombies who were chopped up by the lawnmower were buried and had loads of blood in them. The corpse at the funeral gets it's head bashed in and stays dead, but one of the lawnmower victims gets it's head cut to bits and keeps on going.

A distinct lack of thought being put into it, by the sounds of it.

This is what comes of the 'content' mindset. They're not trying to make a quality creative piece of storytelling ... they're trying to fill an order by a corporation for media content. About as much thought goes into this as the average Disney+ show, it seems ... in other words, not much. :(