PDA

View Full Version : The Stand (TV Series) - 2020

Neil
01-Jun-2020, 06:19 PM
Not sure about Whoopi Goldberg being in it, but hopefully she'll pull a good performance out of the bag - https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/everything-we-know-about-stephen-kings-new-the-stand-miniseries/

Neil
03-Jun-2020, 08:56 AM
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/05/stephen-kings-the-stand-exclusive-first-look

Note the traffic lights are on! Nice to know the power is still working after everyone is dead!
https://media.vanityfair.com/photos/5ec405109207b7558d69710d/master/w_1600%2Cc_limit/VF0620_The_Stand_Embed01.JPG

JDP
03-Jun-2020, 10:33 AM
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/05/stephen-kings-the-stand-exclusive-first-look

Note the traffic lights are on! Nice to know the power is still working after everyone is dead!
https://media.vanityfair.com/photos/5ec405109207b7558d69710d/master/w_1600%2Cc_limit/VF0620_The_Stand_Embed01.JPG

"Guess the power's not off in this area. Could be nuclear."

Either that or my project for building a perpetual motion machine actually works at some point in the future.

MinionZombie
03-Jun-2020, 10:45 AM
If it's a screenshot from a finished episode then it's a mistake, but if it's just an on-set production still (which are regularly used for promotional purposes) then that's another thing.

EvilNed
03-Jun-2020, 01:05 PM
Dropped!

bassman
21-Jun-2020, 12:23 PM
I would imagine it’s just a production still. Reminiscent of our first photo from TWD back in 2010, which was just Rick walking down a Georgia road with a fuel can. A shot that never really appeared in the show, as he never had the gas can on that particular stretch of road(where he’s shot).

Rottedfreak
24-Dec-2020, 03:35 PM
I don't like the way it's been edited and very disappointed by a certain change in the second episode but will keep rolling with it.

shootemindehead
24-Dec-2020, 05:51 PM
Watched the first episode. It was OK (ish). Not mad about the structure either.

I was never a fan of the book and all that Mother Abigale/walking dude stuff didn't grab me at all. I'll give the next couple of episodes a watch, but I can't see myself sticking with it unless it gets better real fast.

EvilNed
24-Dec-2020, 07:36 PM
Saw the first episode and didn't really fall for the chronological gymnastics it tries to perform. I'm guessing each episode showcases one, or two characters and the first one was Harold Lauder and to a lesser extent Stu Redman.

Rottedfreak
24-Dec-2020, 07:38 PM
Yeah, the second one was Larry and Lloyd.

EvilNed
24-Dec-2020, 07:51 PM
Yeah, the second one was Larry and Lloyd.

Then I'm gonna go one further and say each episode showcases one bad and one good...

Guessing Nick and Nadine in the next one.

Neil
06-Jan-2021, 08:24 PM
Well, just signed up to StarzPlay for 99p a month which is featuring this series... So I'll give some feedback as I watch it...

shootemindehead
06-Jan-2021, 11:31 PM
It's ok?

Just ok. The very definition of "nothing special".

Mike70
10-Jan-2021, 04:54 PM
I wish CBS All Access was 99p a month. PFFT.

I haven't watched this yet. The "ok" reviews on here haven't inspired me to rush to watch it.

Neil
12-Jan-2021, 04:45 PM
EP2

Finding the time jumps back and forward don't work very well, and the characters generally quite flat.

And the Lincoln Tunnel scene being replaced with going through a 'haunted' sewer? What a waste!

shootemindehead
13-Jan-2021, 12:37 AM
^
I suppose they just didn't have the budget.

Neil
13-Jan-2021, 08:28 AM
^
I suppose they just didn't have the budget.

Hmmm... A dark tunnel, with not much to see? Doesn't sound budget bursting? :)

Rottedfreak
14-Jan-2021, 08:46 PM
Well the latest episode featured Las Vegas, I felt it topped the nineties adaptations depiction at least.
I did enjoy the nineties Las Vegas scenes but there was very little material there, just a few minutes in the second and third parts, and about forty minutes of the final part.
The rest of the episode was a boring cliche.

shootemindehead
16-Jan-2021, 09:29 PM
I'm 4 episodes into 'The Stand' and I still don't know whether I like it or not. I want to watch Ep 5, so that's something I suppose.

Neil
20-Jan-2021, 11:30 AM
Found episode 3 was generally pretty flat IMHO. I just don't see this series working now...

And the jumping back and forwards is just contrived and clunky...

Kaos
21-Jan-2021, 07:02 PM
And the jumping back and forwards is just contrived and clunky...

Agreed. This approach can alienate people who are not already familiar with either the novel or the prior series.

Neil
03-Feb-2021, 08:31 AM
EP5 - Another mixed bag IMHO.

For some reason too much of it is falling flat for me, which I think is a cross between just the adaptation of it and the acting/actors. For example, this version's Lloyd (Flag's right hand man) is seemingly spineless and camp? Not a patch on Miguel Ferrer's 1994 version IMHO.

I'll soldier on... Interested to see what King's new ending is like...

ps: At least there were less time jumps...

shootemindehead
03-Feb-2021, 05:26 PM
It's a queer old show, isn't it? It's oddly compelling, yet completely unsatisfying.

Neil
04-Feb-2021, 08:16 AM
I've spotted two King cameos so far...

Neil
19-Feb-2021, 01:08 PM
It's a queer old show, isn't it? It's oddly compelling, yet completely unsatisfying.

This turns out to be more and more the case. It's just not firing on all cylinders and feels very flat a lot of the time...

Basically just counting the episodes now to see what King's new (hopefully improved) ending brings...

shootemindehead
20-Feb-2021, 01:33 AM
Don't hold your breath.

Neil
23-Feb-2021, 09:14 AM
So... Episode 8...

***SPOILERS***

So we reach the end of Vegas, basically the same as the original book, but with more visual effects, cos!

And these new visual effects makes even more of a mockery of the premise. The hand of god (blob of ball lightening energy) is sitting there zapping people left right and center, and indeed even then fries Flagg.

Why didn't God just do that months earlier thus saving lots of lives and suffering?

shootemindehead
23-Feb-2021, 11:21 AM
Mmmm...

This was always the problem I had with 'The Stand'. The whole god/devil thing is just awful. The idea of Capt. Tripps and the end of the world is well done. But once that old dear appears and Flagg, it just gets too dumb.

Neil
01-Mar-2021, 08:33 PM
Well, the series overall? Flat!

And the additional bolted on episode on the end? Contrived...

Overall, 6/10.