View Full Version : Das Boot (TV series)

Neil
29-Jun-2020, 04:11 PM
Just gone through season 1 & 2 of this and generally quite enjoyed it! (Not seen the 1980s film)

UiUw4V-CIho

MinionZombie
29-Jun-2020, 05:30 PM
I've not seen the TV show (had totally forgotten about it, and was surprised to see a second season was suddenly on telly!) ... I have seen the film, though. You should watch the film.

shootemindehead
29-Jun-2020, 07:54 PM
Watch the first series and it was bloody awful. Complete and utter rubbish. So, that's where that will end for me.

As for the original, I consider it one of the finest, if not the finest example of a series set during the war. There's no bullshit...it just tries to stick as much to reality as it can. Had it on DVD for years and recently bought the Blu-ray.

I can count the amount of good war movies on the fingers of one hand, but 'Das Boot' is one of the very few efforts that can be counted as genuinely worthwhile for its effort at realism. It's an absolute must for anyone interested in the war in the Atlantic, or WWII in general.

Neil
29-Jun-2020, 08:12 PM
Watch the first series and it was bloody awful. Complete and utter rubbish. So, that's where that will end for me.
Oh! I quite enjoyed it :)

shootemindehead
29-Jun-2020, 09:21 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/ac7MA7r5IMYda/giphy.gif

EvilNed
30-Jun-2020, 07:59 AM
I'd probably be more inclined to watch it if it didn't carry the title "Das boot". As it stands I'm just confused as to why they want to make the connection.

shootemindehead
30-Jun-2020, 07:24 PM
Because it guarantees at least a passing interest from people who liked the original. It's a bit of name rape really. Especially considering that we don't even see much of the U-Boat in question for a lot of S1. It's too wrapped up in it's bullshit French Resistance nonsense in Lorient, so Vicky Kreips can be the star.

Should have been called 'Was Boot?'

Neil
30-Jun-2020, 07:36 PM
Because it guarantees at least a passing interest from people who liked the original. It's a bit of name rape really. Especially considering that we don't even see much of the U-Boat in question for a lot of S1. It's too wrapped up in it's bullshit French Resistance nonsense in Lorient, so Vicky Kreips can be the star.

Should have been called 'Was Boot?'

Well, I've not seen the original, so maybe that helped...