PDA

View Full Version : I hope I never have to live off of my own tips.

Tied2thetracks
27-Jul-2006, 09:52 PM
I think I am an awful customer. Its not a consious effort, just seems to end up that way. Today I took the kids out for breakfast and they wanted pancakes, pancakes are great as long as you have syrup...guess what they forgot. I sent the kids to go ask for some(mom and pop style place) they sat at the counter ignored for 5 minutes or so. My twins are only 4 so it is kinda easy to miss them. I got the syrup and tragedy was avoided. the bill was $21 and change, I tipped $2 and change. No syrup and one coffee refill, I expect a little bit more. I like to pride myself in being a good tipper(I've done the dirty work) Lack of common sense irritates me. Pancakes, you need syrup, check on your customers, fill the damn coffe cups. $2 and change, is that as bad as I think?

Wow, I get worked up over the littlest things. I dare you to throw immigration out there,lol.

Marie
27-Jul-2006, 10:01 PM
I think I am an awful customer. <Snip> I like to pride myself in being a good tipper(I've done the dirty work) Lack of common sense irritates me. Pancakes, you need syrup, check on your customers, fill the damn coffe cups. $2 and change, is that as bad as I think?

Wow, I get worked up over the littlest things. I dare you to throw immigration out there,lol.

I too have done scutwork, and for the most part I tend to overtip... BUT I have left a penny when the service sucked too, but only if it was pretty obvious that I was being ignored and the staff wasn't just overworked. So I'd feel worse about sending the kids to get syrup, because they're more likely to be ignored, especially if the place is busy.

I think for the service you got two dollars may have been overtipping though.

I'm of two minds about the immigration thing. I think if they're going to work here they should habla englis. But that's just me.

M_

coma
27-Jul-2006, 10:13 PM
Yeah, its a sh*tty tip. Less than 10%.
You didn't say how busy it was,
but it can be annoying.
Problem is, its not the busboy or the chefs fault she gave you less than adequate service.

I was a good waiter, but we all make mistakes. She did give you a refill.

if it was slow, there isnt any good excuse. Some people aren't that good at it.

however

It takes a lot to make me stiff someone.
lkie screwing my order and insisting its my fault.really, whats the diff? That happened to me the other day. She sucked, but I left only 15% because the other waite picked up her slack and the food was great. I usally tip 20% plus.

And to the europeans (and other tourists) who pretend to not know about tipping. You aint fooling anybody and you look like an ass. You dont have to agree. Do it anyway and at the proper rate.

AcesandEights
27-Jul-2006, 11:07 PM
Getting syrrup is man's work (unless you're at home); you shouldn't have sent the kids. Once kids get brought into an equation that has anything to do with efficiency you can pretty much flush the whole calculation down the toilet.

A lot of people discount kids when they are working, as they are a big time sink and who would think they would have been sent over to ask for something at such a tender age? Plus, you feel bad for your little girls that are sitting there for a few minutes and not getting their service, so your Paternal instinct kicks in and that makes everything go a little wacky (i.e. "How dare someone make my little princesses wait. Why I oughta...").

In summation, I hope you'll be docking their allowances :p