PDA

View Full Version : Second Sight Dawn of the Dead 4k Ultra HD Limited Edition Set

kidgloves
13-Nov-2020, 04:52 PM
Received today. A thing of beauty

Why is it sideways

Moon Knight
13-Nov-2020, 05:15 PM
Still my all time personal favorite.

kidgloves
13-Nov-2020, 06:27 PM
The picture quality on this astonishing

MinionZombie
14-Nov-2020, 09:54 AM
Still waiting on mine. Seems orders direct from Second Sight were sent out a week earlier than anywhere else. I'm hoping mine arrives on Monday. Been waiting a long time for this bad boy and I've heard nothing but excellent things about it.

Neil
14-Nov-2020, 10:34 AM
The set includes a new commentary track on the US Theatrical Cut, a new 59-minute documentary special feature, a previously unreleased archive interview with George Romero, a new 13-minute featurette wherein Tom Savini talks about the film’s makeup effects, the 2014 documentary The Dead Will Walk, and various other brand new interviews and featurettes.

Also included, a 150-page hardback book and the movie’s novelization.

Here’s the full breakdown:

UHD DISC 1: THE THEATRICAL CUT

NEW 4K scan and restoration of the Original Camera Negative by Second Sight at Final Frame New York and London supervised and approved by DoP Michael Gornick
Presented in HDR10+
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 Mono – New restoration of the original OCN Optical / DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Commentary by George A Romero, Tom Savini, Christine Forrest
NEW commentary by Travis Crawford
NEW Optional English subtitles for the hearing impaired

UHD DISC 2 – THE EXTENDED (‘CANNES’) CUT

Produced using 4K scan of the Theatrical Cut Original Camera Negative and 4K scan of the Extended Cut Colour Reversal Internegative
Presented in HDR10+
DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 Mono
Commentary by Richard P Rubinstein
NEW optional English subtitles for the hearing impaired

UHD DISC 3 – THE ARGENTO CUT

4K scan of the Interpositive by Michele De Angelis at Backlight Digital, Rome
Audio: DT-HD Master Audio Mono 1.0 / Surround 5.1 / Stereo 2.0
Commentary by Ken Foree, Scott Reiniger, Gaylen Ross, David Emge
NEW optional English subtitles for the hearing impaired

BLU-RAY DISC 4: SPECIAL FEATURES

NEW Zombies and Bikers, With John Amplas, Roy Frumkes, Tom Savini, Christine Forrest, Tom Dubensky, Tony Buba, Taso Stavrakis and a whole host of zombies and bikers! (59 mins)
NEW Memories of Monroeville, A tour of the mall with Michael Gornick, Tom Savini, Tom Dubensky and Taso Stavrakis (34 mins)
NEW Raising the Dead: The Production Logistics, With Michael Gornick, Christine Forrest, John Amplas, Tom Dubensky (23 mins)
NEW The FX of Dawn with Tom Savini (13 mins)
NEW Dummies! Dummies! – An interview with Richard France (12 mins)
NEW The Lost Romero Dawn Interview: previously unreleased archive interview (20 mins)
Super 8 Mall Footage by zombie extra Ralph Langer with option of archive commentary by Robert Langer and new commentary by Ralph Langer (13 mins)
Document of the Dead: The Original Cut with optional commentary by Roy Frumkes (66 mins)
Document of the Dead: The Definitive Cut (100 mins)
The Dead Will Walk 2014 Documentary (80 mins)
Trailers, TV and Radio Spots (TBC)

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

AUDIO CD DISC 1

The Goblin Soundtrack – 17 tracks including Alternate and Bonus Tracks

AUDIO CD DISC 2

The Complete De Wolfe library Cues Part 1

AUDIO CD DISC 3

The Complete De Wolfe Library Cues Part 2
Rigid box with lid featuring the original iconic artwork
2 inner digipaks
150 page hardback book featuring 16 new essays, archive article, archive George A Romero interview and rare Behind-The-Scenes stills
Dawn of the Dead: The novelisation book by George A Romero and Susanna Sparrow with exclusive artwork

Take note that this is a Region B release but 4K Ultra HD discs are inherently Region Free, so if you’re living inside the United States you’ll want to pre-order the 4K Ultra HD set through Zavvi’s US website. The first three discs are 4K Ultra HD discs, but the fourth disc (even in the 4K Ultra HD set) is a Region B Blu-ray and you’ll need a Region Free player to play it.

The Blu-ray version of the set includes all Region B Blu-ray discs.

Harleydude666
14-Nov-2020, 12:20 PM
Ok FUCKERS! How do I get it? Couldn’t find it on Amazon

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind, just read the fine print.

shootemindehead
14-Nov-2020, 01:36 PM
How are people getting this if it hasn't been released yet?

Ammo says Nov 16th rel date?

Moon Knight
14-Nov-2020, 03:32 PM
I NEED this in my life.

Neil
14-Nov-2020, 04:00 PM
Disc 1 or Disc is going to be your prefered version?

MinionZombie
14-Nov-2020, 04:13 PM
How are people getting this if it hasn't been released yet?

Ammo says Nov 16th rel date?

Anyone who ordered directly from Second Sight's own website had theirs sent out like a week early, so I saw a flurry of posts about a week ago with people posting their sets online (with their exclusive 4-pack of art cards that are only through Second Sight's website).

Amazon et al's release date is indeed November 16th (Monday).

Any American folks looking to import it - do be aware that the discs will be locked to Region B, so you'll need a region-free player. Mind you, I'd be surprised if a similar release wasn't on the cards for America soon anyway.

kidgloves
14-Nov-2020, 04:45 PM
I also got 4 lobby cards of artwork from Second Sight for pre-ordering from them.
I'm going through it in order so on 2nd commentary track from Travis Crawford.
Looks unbelievable on my OLED. Absolutely amazing

EvilNed
15-Nov-2020, 05:42 AM
Getting the BD set soon. Ordered from Amazon, so hasn't shipped yet.

Looks beautiful though, from all the posts I've seen!

Neil
15-Nov-2020, 09:37 AM
I also got 4 lobby cards of artwork from Second Sight for pre-ordering from them.
I'm going through it in order so on 2nd commentary track from Travis Crawford.
Looks unbelievable on my OLED. Absolutely amazing

I haven't got a 4k player :(

MinionZombie
15-Nov-2020, 09:54 AM
I haven't got a 4k player :(

There's also a Blu-Ray edition (which is the one I'm getting).

kidgloves
15-Nov-2020, 08:38 PM
I've never bought a standalone UHD player.
Used an Xbox one X before and now have a Series X.
TV is important as well. The HDR really makes a difference.
70's grain is front and centre but the details really pop in 4k.

MinionZombie
16-Nov-2020, 09:54 AM
Mine's on-the-way, hooray! :hyper:

Gonna try and watch it tonight and check out the sexy new restoration.

Does Xbox play UHD discs? I thought it was just a normal Blu-Ray player drive in there? Or is that the brand new Xbox that does it?

**edit**

It's arrived, huzah! Turned up literally just after I posted the above. :D

This thing's a beast, a proper door stopper of a thing. You could bash a zombie's head in with it. :elol:

kidgloves
16-Nov-2020, 03:45 PM
Mine's on-the-way, hooray! :hyper:

Gonna try and watch it tonight and check out the sexy new restoration.

Does Xbox play UHD discs? I thought it was just a normal Blu-Ray player drive in there? Or is that the brand new Xbox?

I had a one x which was a mid generation upgrade and that was UHD.
The new series x is as well

MinionZombie
16-Nov-2020, 04:30 PM
I had a one x which was a mid generation upgrade and that was UHD.
The new series x is as well

Do you mean the Xbox One S (came out about 2016 IIRC)? That's the one I've got (the better and considerably less bulky version of the console).

kidgloves
16-Nov-2020, 04:56 PM
Do you mean the Xbox One S (came out about 2016 IIRC)? That's the one I've got (the better and considerably less bulky version of the console).

No MS released an upgraded console called the Xbox one x a few years back. Its nearly 5x more powerful than the Xbox one. Real 4k and ran some games at 60fps

MinionZombie
17-Nov-2020, 09:54 AM
Watched the Cannes Cut last night on the new Blu-Ray set - film looked gorgeous.

They've done a nice job of cleaning the film up while retaining the original film grain, yet also making it look spanking new. There were numerous shots that were clearer with more depth and detail, so certain details that were once lost in murk or total darkness are now revealed. Just little details. And the clarity helps you see further into the shots (e.g. backgrounds), but also in terms of the notes written at the airport, or what Stephen types on the typewriter (seems to be "Now is the time").

The film looked beautiful and I was reminded all over again why it's my favourite of the Romero zombie films. While Day of the Dead is the better made film, and one that has aged more gracefully, Dawn always captures my heart. Watching it again reminded me of all these years here on HPOTD talking about zombie movies, talking about Dawn, about how you'd better block the doors or that doorway they covered with a fake wall etc.

Gonna dive into the new extras later on. Looking forward to that!

steders
18-Nov-2020, 09:04 AM
Hello, got mine monday and watched the theatrical cut last night. Interestingly I have the Anchor bay anniversary edition dvd from 1999 (i think) and the music at the start of the film is much louder than the new blu-ray. I actually thought it was a completely different score but it seems like it is just 'quieter' at the start

EvilNed
19-Nov-2020, 05:58 AM
Hello, got mine monday and watched the theatrical cut last night. Interestingly I have the Anchor bay anniversary edition dvd from 1999 (i think) and the music at the start of the film is much louder than the new blu-ray. I actually thought it was a completely different score but it seems like it is just 'quieter' at the start

Interesting, must be a mix thing.

MinionZombie
19-Nov-2020, 04:47 PM
Does anyone else, whenever they watch the movie, keep hoping that Roger will chill the fuck out and not get bit, or that Stephen will survive this time around? I always get so invested in our quartet that when the inevitable happens I'm always hoping it had gone a different way for them.

EvilNed
19-Nov-2020, 05:45 PM
Does anyone else, whenever they watch the movie, keep hoping that Roger will chill the fuck out and not get bit, or that Stephen will survive this time around? I always get so invested in our quartet that when the inevitable happens I'm always hoping it had gone a different way for them.

Haha, for sure. I totally relate. I keep hoping for Roger to calm the fuck down and for Stephen to just act rationally. Every single time...

Harleydude666
20-Nov-2020, 10:22 PM

Word, dude

bassman
22-Nov-2020, 03:04 PM
So are the scenes in the extended cut more seamless this time around? If I remember correctly, the old Ultimate Edition always bothered me because there was an obvious drop in quality going from theatrical scenes to the extended cut scenes.

MinionZombie
22-Nov-2020, 04:22 PM
So are the scenes in the extended cut more seamless this time around? If I remember correctly, the old Ultimate Edition always bothered me because there was an obvious drop in quality going from theatrical scenes to the extended cut scenes.

Interesting ... I don't really recall that myself with the same copy.

Anyway - the extended scenes do come from a different source than the footage from the theatrical cut, but I didn't really notice any major differences or anything. All felt pretty seamless unless you would be really hunting for it ... then again, I'm fuzzy on what was the difference between theatrical and extended cuts for the most part, just off the top of my head, as the extended cut has always been the version I've gone to as it was my first experience of Dawn. It was years before I saw any other version.

Speaking of versions - the 8mm 'digest' version is a really interesting watch. It's about 45 minutes long! :stunned:

shootemindehead
22-Nov-2020, 11:24 PM
Interesting ... I don't really recall that myself with the same copy.

Me neither, I have to say.

beat_truck
22-Nov-2020, 11:38 PM

I never noticed that with the Ultimate Edition, but then again, I still watch an older TV.

The Extended Mall Hours fan edit has some obvious quality differences, mainly from scenes from the Argento cut being not as good.

EvilNed
26-Nov-2020, 08:57 PM
Got the bluray today and popped in the Argento-cut. First time for me, never seen it before.

It's definetly one of my favorite films of all time. The first half hour is brilliant and few things I've seen really come close to depicting all the nuances, depression and panic of societal collapse in such a down-to-earth manner. Maybe Threads or something like that. But the apocalypse in this film is really one I've found so very horrifying from the very first time I saw it (as a teenager). The dead coming back to life. All of them. Zombies, man. They creep me out.

Romero is also one of my favorite filmmakers. I really do think he is an excellent director and writer. His characters are always well rounded and play very realistically. The reactions always seem like they're coming from the character and not some forced screenwriter who's setting up a scene and moving the plot along. Really a great writer / director. And I appreciate pretty much all his work, not just the zombie schtick.

Equally, I'm a fan of Romero. He's all the things that Romero isn't, and vice versa. Argento is style and doesn't really care about characters or script. His ability to edit and bring out suspense is second to none. Unlike Romero, Argento is very stylized. Not grounded in reality, but much more interested in the heightened sense of the fantastic. While I do miss some of the scenes that are missing in the Argento cut, overall I feel the action and suspense scenes are much better edited in this than in the Theatrical version. He doesn't linger on shots but moves on to the next and his sense of direction has always been impeccable. As it is here.

Is it my preferred version? Probably not. After all - I want Romero to go all out Romero, and that's what the Theatrical version is. But out of the three (or four?) this is probably my second favorite. I prefer it over the Cannes cut which I feel drags. I've also never been a fan of the library music, so I'm glad to see it gone in this version. But it does lose a bit of Romero's affinity for character study.

kidgloves
28-Nov-2020, 11:11 PM
I agree with you Ned about the Cannes cut. I remember when I got hold of my first Dawn DVD in the UK as an adult and it was labelled the directors cut. I watched it and was confused as it didn't click with me like the movie I remembered renting multiple times as a kid on VHS.

I'm really taking my time with this set. Haven't even got close to the new extras. I'm just finishing up the Rubinstein commentary on the Cannes cut then i think I'll watch the Argento cut without commentary. I don't remember the cast commentary from the Ultimate edition being particularly interesting but who knows. I'm clearly obsessed like others here so won't count that out.

I have to say the HDR on the UHD version is really something. Details really pop, especially lighting at night, clothes, colours etc. It really shows the grain though and it's quite jarring when going from soft shots to highly detailed expansive ones.

MinionZombie
29-Nov-2020, 10:37 AM
Yeah, that BMG video release of Dawn at the arse-end of the 1990s was labelled the "Director's Cut" more for advertising purposes. Easier for the general public to understand than "Extended Cannes Cut". That's how I first saw Dawn, so the extended cut has always been the version for me.

Argento's version is an interesting curio, but nothing more. It kinda tramples all over Romero's intentions for the most part, turning it into a very different type of a movie. Good for an intrigue-watch, kinda like the 8mm digest version, but it's a long way away from Romero's vision.

JDP
29-Nov-2020, 05:51 PM
The "extended cut" is definitely better than the theatrical version. Romero had to do some "butchering" of footage for that later version, which results in some parts barely making any sense due to the sloppy editing (since sequences were not re-shot for the theatrical version, a butcher-job editing had to be done with the footage used for the "extended" cut.) This is specially true of the "docks" sequence, which is simply atrocious in the theatrical cut. It is hardly clear at all what in blazes is going on here (who the hell are these other people at the docks? where did they pop-up from?? what are they doing here???) Once you see the "extended" version it all makes sense, though. By all means the better version of the movie.

kidgloves
29-Nov-2020, 07:37 PM
The "extended cut" is definitely better than the theatrical version. Romero had to do some "butchering" of footage for that later version, which results in some parts barely making any sense due to the sloppy editing (since sequences were not re-shot for the theatrical version, a butcher-job editing had to be done with the footage used for the "extended" cut.) This is specially true of the "docks" sequence, which is simply atrocious in the theatrical cut. It is hardly clear at all what in blazes is going on here (who the hell are these other people at the docks? where did they pop-up from?? what are they doing here???) Once you see the "extended" version it all makes sense, though. By all means the better version of the movie.

You forget to add imho :D

I completely disagree. It drags and the soundtrack is nowhere as good. Theatrical cut is leaner and far more entertaining.

shootemindehead
29-Nov-2020, 09:41 PM
'Dawn of the Dead' dragging in places is sort of the point Romero wanted to make though. The characters have what they want and more than they need. But they're not content. It doesn't stave off the dread of their situation and the hopeless nature of what it happening around them. The protagonists all get by doing what they need to do, but once the work is over sealing up the mall, they're at a loose end. So, they tart up, play video games, fire off their pop guns, get in the best Bang & Olufson stereo equipment...but what does it matter? They're still trapped in their own tomb, with nowhere to go.

EvilNed
29-Nov-2020, 10:27 PM
'Dawn of the Dead' dragging in places is sort of the point Romero wanted to make though.

Are we reviewing Romero's point or Romero's film?

shootemindehead
29-Nov-2020, 10:53 PM
Wouldn't one coincide with the other?

Harleydude666
30-Nov-2020, 04:57 AM

This. Couldn’t have said it any better

EvilNed
30-Nov-2020, 08:53 AM
Wouldn't one coincide with the other?

No, not at all.

shootemindehead
30-Nov-2020, 01:43 PM
Really?

You think a film maker would make a film with no point at all? You think Romero would write a script and film it, but not try and make a point about what the characters are going through in the story?

EvilNed
30-Nov-2020, 03:06 PM
Really?

You think a film maker would make a film with no point at all? You think Romero would write a script and film it, but not try and make a point about what the characters are going through in the story?

That's not what I said. I just said that we're reviewing the film, and not the point the film maker was trying to get across.

shootemindehead
30-Nov-2020, 04:58 PM
That's not what I said. I just said that we're reviewing the film, and not the point the film maker was trying to get across.

Surely, the point of what the director was trying the get across is part of reviewing a film? The director's intent with his film is a factor. Doubly so when he's also the editor of the movie.

Romero, in his film, deliberately put in sections showing his characters being bored and unfulfilled. They're not there just to add running time. There there for a specific reason.

MinionZombie
30-Nov-2020, 06:41 PM
Surely, the point of what the director was trying the get across is part of reviewing a film? The director's intent with his film is a factor. Doubly so when he's also the editor of the movie.

Romero, in his film, deliberately put in sections showing his characters being bored and unfulfilled. They're not there just to add running time. There there for a specific reason.

Even more considering he was also the screenwriter, which is really the most important element at play here.

EvilNed
30-Nov-2020, 08:32 PM

A director's intention and the actual execution are two separate things. If a section of a film is perceived as "boring" or "it drags" - then that section is boring no matter what the director's intentions were. "It was meant to show how bored the characters are!" doesn't cut it... There are other ways of telling that without actually making it dull.

shootemindehead
30-Nov-2020, 08:54 PM
Even more considering he was also the screenwriter, which is really the most important element at play here.

Agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

A director's intention and the actual execution are two separate things. If a section of a film is perceived as "boring" or "it drags" - then that section is boring no matter what the director's intentions were. "It was meant to show how bored the characters are!" doesn't cut it... There are other ways of telling that without actually making it dull.

It "cuts" it completely, Neddy.

You find it dull, because the characters are doing dull things. That was the point he trying to make. Their lives in the mall have become dull, while outside everything is still going to hell.

EvilNed
30-Nov-2020, 09:21 PM
You find it dull, because the characters are doing dull things. That was the point he trying to make. Their lives in the mall have become dull, while outside everything is still going to hell.

No, sorry, can't agree with you there.
That's actually not all of it, and that's not why I find it dull. I do think the Cannes cut loses steam when they start cleaning up the mall.
And in any case that's irrelevant because a film should never be dull.

JDP
30-Nov-2020, 09:53 PM
You forget to add imho :D

I completely disagree. It drags and the soundtrack is nowhere as good. Theatrical cut is leaner and far more entertaining.

That's rather a matter of taste, though. I have no problem with the soundtrack of either. My main complaint is with the sometimes sloppy editing of the theatrical cut. Since Romero did not re-shoot some of the sequences he wanted to alter for the theatrical cut, he was forced to work with the footage that was used for the extended cut. This resulted in some parts of the movie not making as much sense as in the extended cut.

MinionZombie
01-Dec-2020, 10:27 AM
I don't find the section of the film where the characters are just meandering about the mall, now that they've 'won' it, to be boring at all. The characters themselves may become bored over time, as is clearly shown, but that material in the film itself isn't actually boring at all. It's part of the story, it's the Act II low point before all hell breaks loose.

EvilNed
01-Dec-2020, 02:05 PM
I don't find the section of the film where the characters are just meandering about the mall, now that they've 'won' it, to be boring at all. The characters themselves may become bored over time, as is clearly shown, but that material in the film itself isn't actually boring at all. It's part of the story, it's the Act II low point before all hell breaks loose.

I agree that the material itself isn't boring. But it does drag, i.e. the film spends a lot of time on-not-a-lot-happening. It's a pacing issue. Especially since the first 30 minutes are brilliant.

Do I still love the film? Absolutely. It's just the reason for why it'll never top Day as my favorite Romero-film.

MinionZombie
01-Dec-2020, 04:59 PM
I agree that the material itself isn't boring. But it does drag, i.e. the film spends a lot of time on-not-a-lot-happening. It's a pacing issue. Especially since the first 30 minutes are brilliant.

Do I still love the film? Absolutely. It's just the reason for why it'll never top Day as my favorite Romero-film.

I've never really found the pacing to suddenly sag, either. It actually comes as a pretty welcome respite. We have a little breather after the relentless opening 30 minutes, then we're fairly swiftly back into the action - the initial raid on the mall, then quite quickly we're into the whole door blocking mission (inside and out) - and then, while not necessarily action packed, there is a lot of story material (the stuff that makes everything worthwhile, the stuff that hooks audiences into the characters) squeezed into a section of the film that isn't too long-winded. In terms of pacing I think it's pretty spot on. Even after watching the film, what, forty times or something now, I was never thinking it needed to speed up in the extended cut. Sure, not everyone's gonna feel like that, but they're idiots who are wrong. :lol::lol::lol: :D:D:D ;)

Seriously, though, the pacing in the extended cut is aye fine if you ask me. The climax is pretty darn full-on, so you need that 'down time' where we focus on the characters slipping into malaise over the months following Roger's death. They've taken this mall, but they've lost a valuable member of the team in the process, and the more they linger the more hollow the victory becomes. This in-turn ramps up the power of Stephen's choice to start shooting at the raiders, his greed over the mall having taken over.

Indeed, Stephen's got a really interesting arc in the film. At times he's like the Beta male, or the kinda uncool little brother trying to be as cool as the big kids, but then other times he's brave and smart - and, of course, he's the chap who can fly the ruddy helicopter. He steps beyond his own abilities out of pride at times, or clumsily gets himself into a scrape, but then other times he's on it (like when they're roaring about in the Scirocco sealing the doors off). He's flawed and complex, and I got to thinking about when he leads the zombies up to their secret living quarters - I got to wondering, being that Romero's zombies have memories of their past lives to some degree, if he just wanted to get back to Fran ... ... or, indeed, does the zombie virus corrupt any memories that are remaining. Could the virus corrupt them to a degree of malicious intent?

MikePizzoff
03-Dec-2020, 07:12 AM
Hey guys... any other US folks still not receive theirs yet? I’m on the east coast and still haven’t gotten mine. I’m pretty worried. This would be the first time ever that I may have some sort of emotional reaction to not receiving a movie in the mail, simply because of how much this movie means to me and the fact that this is a limited release (and apparently already sold out in the US). I’m also pretty pissed off that Zavvi didn’t provide any sort of tracking - what the hell?!?!

MinionZombie
03-Dec-2020, 10:15 AM
Hey guys... any other US folks still not receive theirs yet? I’m on the east coast and still haven’t gotten mine. I’m pretty worried. This would be the first time ever that I may have some sort of emotional reaction to not receiving a movie in the mail, simply because of how much this movie means to me and the fact that this is a limited release (and apparently already sold out in the US). I’m also pretty pissed off that Zavvi didn’t provide any sort of tracking - what the hell?!?!

I've been seeing pictures online of people only just receiving their orders for a while now. Seems delivery times vary greatly, and yeah, Zavvi don't do order tracking. I'm kinda surprised they even ship internationally, but I have seen plenty of posts from people who have recently received their international order from Zavvi.

Did you get a confirmation that it had been shipped, and if so, how long ago was that?

MikePizzoff
03-Dec-2020, 02:13 PM
I got an email back in early November, saying my expected date of arrival was Nov 16th, with Nov 20th being the absolute latest. When I emailed Zavvi asking if I could have tracking info, as I'm nervous about my package getting stolen, they told me they don't provide it and to just wait until December 13th... if it doesn't come by then, contact them. I bet it just had a shipping delay with customs or something, but I'm freaking out over here!!!

MinionZombie
03-Dec-2020, 04:02 PM
I got an email back in early November, saying my expected date of arrival was Nov 16th, with Nov 20th being the absolute latest. When I emailed Zavvi asking if I could have tracking info, as I'm nervous about my package getting stolen, they told me they don't provide it and to just wait until December 13th... if it doesn't come by then, contact them. I bet it just had a shipping delay with customs or something, but I'm freaking out over here!!!

Well it wouldn't have got to you by November 16th no way - that was the day of release here in the UK.

Those who ordered directly from Second Sight got theirs a week early (but international buyers took a while longer, I think, to receive theirs from them). Yeah, it can take some time for international shipping to come through due to various factors, so I wouldn't worry just yet. :)

Have you specifically had an email notice of the item being despatched?

EvilNed
03-Dec-2020, 05:15 PM

I don't want to be an alarmist or anything, but I ordered a few international orders back in Spring and some of them took up to 2 months to arrive. But that was when the world was in an absolute panic over Covid, things seem to have calmed down a bit.

MikePizzoff
14-Dec-2020, 03:40 PM
Well, I just contacted Zavvi, as I still haven’t received it. I’m worried that I’m going to have to resort to getting a refund and then dish out $200 to get it off eBay.

Neil
15-Dec-2020, 08:30 AM
Well, I just contacted Zavvi, as I still haven’t received it. I’m worried that I’m going to have to resort to getting a refund and then dish out $200 to get it off eBay.

I can see it still for sale on sites for the original price.

MinionZombie
16-Dec-2020, 04:55 PM
Who's read the book of essays on the film? Some pretty good stuff in there, especially concerning the making and release of the film ... although mid-way through you get a chunk that are all kinda wanky gender studies film school essays, some dreadfully-so, that just made my brain hurt they were so stodgy and forced and aggressively formal (i.e. no personality and no fun to read at all). However, the majority of the writings on the film were quite good ... but they could have used a bit of editing, as so many of the essays had similar introductions talking about the basic things about the film (e.g. the shopping mall as a take down of consumerism) - yeah, we get it, you don't all need to say the same damn thing in your introductions! :lol:

Moon Knight
17-Dec-2020, 03:20 AM
Who's read the book of essays on the film? Some pretty good stuff in there, especially concerning the making and release of the film ... although mid-way through you get a chunk that are all kinda wanky gender studies film school essays, some dreadfully-so, that just made my brain hurt they were so stodgy and forced and aggressively formal (i.e. no personality and no fun to read at all). However, the majority of the writings on the film were quite good ... but they could have used a bit of editing, as so many of the essays had similar introductions talking about the basic things about the film (e.g. the shopping mall as a take down of consumerism) - yeah, we get it, you don't all need to say the same damn thing in your introductions! :lol:

You like spam, MZ?

MinionZombie
17-Dec-2020, 10:10 AM
You like spam, MZ?

Well, I did knock it until I found out it had its own key.

MikePizzoff
17-Dec-2020, 12:48 PM
I can see it still for sale on sites for the original price.

Unfortunately, the only two ways to get it in the US were through Zavvi’s “US” location (which is just them shipping from the UK, as I’ve discovered) and Diabolik DVD - both of which have been sold out since before the box released.

EvilNed
17-Dec-2020, 07:52 PM
Unfortunately, the only two ways to get it in the US were through Zavvi’s “US” location (which is just them shipping from the UK, as I’ve discovered) and Diabolik DVD - both of which have been sold out since before the box released.

Surely Amazon UK can ship to the US?

Kaos
22-Dec-2020, 03:21 PM
One thing I noticed on the UHD theatrical and extended discs is that Gornick changed the color timing of the movie to make the blood appear more crimson than the red orange paint in prior versions. It does make the zombie bites and violence appear way more gruesome.

MinionZombie
22-Dec-2020, 04:40 PM
One thing I noticed on the UHD theatrical and extended discs is that Gornick changed the color timing of the movie to make the blood appear more crimson than the red orange paint in prior versions. It does make the zombie bites and violence appear way more gruesome.

I think they also made slight adjustments to the colour to make the zombie skin colour a bit more consistent IIRC.

shootemindehead
22-Dec-2020, 10:43 PM
Did you get your Blu ray yet Mike?

Neil
23-Dec-2020, 01:52 PM
Damn you guys for making me jealous!

EvilNed
23-Dec-2020, 04:20 PM
Damn you guys for making me jealous!

You live in the UK? What the hell is your excuse?

MinionZombie
23-Dec-2020, 04:23 PM
You live in the UK? What the hell is your excuse?

:lo::lol::lol:

Yeah! :D

The instant I saw it was up for pre-order, I got it nabbed.

Kaos
25-Dec-2020, 03:38 AM
I just watched the extended cut again but with Rubenstein's commentary. Dayum. It's good to re-expose yourself to why you think someone is a miserable prick when time has faded the specifics.

MinionZombie
25-Dec-2020, 10:06 AM
I just watched the extended cut again but with Rubenstein's commentary. Dayum. It's good to re-expose yourself to why you think someone is a miserable prick when time has faded the specifics.

heh - why so? I haven't listened to that commentary.

Kaos
25-Dec-2020, 09:46 PM
Back in the day, Rubenstein used to go after sites like HPOTD for showing images from Dawn. He tries to justify that stance in the commentary.

MinionZombie
26-Dec-2020, 10:18 AM
Back in the day, Rubenstein used to go after sites like HPOTD for showing images from Dawn. He tries to justify that stance in the commentary.

Ah, yes, I remember that bullshit.

'Stealing' the movie ... ? More like FREE ADVERTISING. Sites and social media groups like these is how I've found out about so many movies - which I've then gone on to buy, sometimes multiple times in different formats/releases!

Rubenstein clearly didn't/doesn't 'get' the Internet. Where's the 'old man yells at cloud' meme? :D

MikePizzoff
26-Dec-2020, 04:36 PM
Did you get your Blu ray yet Mike?

Still no blu-ray and the process of Zavvi handling the situation has been like pulling teeth. I’ll let you guys know what the ultimate outcome is, whether they give me a refund or send me a new one. A bogus way to end a bogus year.

shootemindehead
26-Dec-2020, 04:58 PM
Still no blu-ray and the process of Zavvi handling the situation has been like pulling teeth. I’ll let you guys know what the ultimate outcome is, whether they give me a refund or send me a new one. A bogus way to end a bogus year.

That's shite.

More than likely, it's gone wayward at this stage. Although, I've been over a month waiting on stuff to cross the Atlantic and that's during the best of times.

If Zavvi send another copy then all well and good. Never used them myself, so I know nothing about them.

MikePizzoff
26-Dec-2020, 05:38 PM
That's shite.

More than likely, it's gone wayward at this stage. Although, I've been over a month waiting on stuff to cross the Atlantic and that's during the best of times.

If Zavvi send another copy then all well and good. Never used them myself, so I know nothing about them.

I talked to a guy that lives 20 minutes away from me and his box was sent out at the same time as mine, and he received it 11 days ago... so I’ve pretty much given up hope on it ever arriving. Now I’m just getting irritated with how Zavvi handles customer service!

MinionZombie
27-Dec-2020, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I've heard that Zavvi's customer service is less than stellar. I've not had any issues ordering from them myself, but Zavvi is a UK company so that probably helps. However, I've only used them a few times as HMV and Amazon are better value by comparison with better websites.

I'd be surprised if Rubenstein wasn't shopping around Dawn for a US release of a similar magnitude over there in the USA, or some company over there is trying to do some kind of port of our release over to your shores.

shootemindehead
27-Dec-2020, 02:44 PM
Will there be a non Limited edition of this put out in the future?

MinionZombie
27-Dec-2020, 04:16 PM
Will there be a non Limited edition of this put out in the future?

I would have thought so, a version with just the main discs (movie and extra features) - i.e. no books, CDs, or fancy packaging. Not sure if there's any official word yet.

Harleydude666
30-Dec-2020, 10:55 PM
Ordered mine from Zavvi first day of release. It’s December 30th and still nothing. Customer service sucks. They don’t communicate. I charged back on my Visa card. Fuck em

Mike70
31-Dec-2020, 05:25 AM
Surely Amazon UK can ship to the US? Get an all region capable DVD player. I got one so I could get DVD versions of some of the BBC shows from the 70s. If you get an all region player it won't matter if the DVD was intended to play on Arrakis, it'll play on Earth.

EvilNed
31-Dec-2020, 02:06 PM
get an all region capable dvd player. I got one so i could get dvd versions of some of the bbc shows from the 70s. If you get an all region player it won't matter if the dvd was intended to play on arrakis, it'll play on earth.

d v d ?

MikePizzoff
31-Dec-2020, 07:07 PM
Ordered mine from Zavvi first day of release. It’s December 30th and still nothing. Customer service sucks. They don’t communicate. I charged back on my Visa card. Fuck em

Yep. I still don't have mine. And I'm on day 18 of dealing with the worst customer service I've ever dealt with. Never again, Zavvi!

Here's a brief synopsis of my nightmare:

-Zavvi didn't supply tracking info for anyone. Told me to contact them December 13th if I didn't receive my package. I should have seen the red flag right from the start, with this.

-After I contacted Dec 13, they took 4 days to give me their initial response.

-Nearly every response has taken at least 72 hours to receive (despite me responding very promptly to each message) and has been signed by a different customer service rep, meaning I've been passed around between 6 people rather than 1 person handling my case.

-They've asked me for my address FOUR TIMES "to confirm your order" despite my initial message containing my address, my initial order containing my address, my account containing my address, and me complying every damn time they ask for my address!

-They've made me fill out a "lost goods" form that looks like something their warehouse employees should be filling out, TWICE.

-They asked me to go around to all my neighbors and ask them if they received my package at any point in time.

-After they finally obliged to send me a replacement - which took until yesterday for them to agree to - I asked them to give me a tracking number this time so we can avoid a repeat of this fiasco, and they responded telling me that providing me with tracking info would be "amending" my order and that is not something they can do, so I can cancel the replacement if I wish to do so!!!? WHAT THE FUCK?!?!

Absolute horse shit for customer service. This is my favorite movie of all-time. This year has been absolute shit. I just wanted this box set to end my year on a good note. Of course 2020 managed to screw me over one last time.

Okay, I'm done venting. Thank you for attending my seminar - there are refreshments in the back.

Harleydude666
01-Jan-2021, 04:11 AM
Yep. I still don't have mine. And I'm on day 18 of dealing with the worst customer service I've ever dealt with. Never again, Zavvi!

Here's a brief synopsis of my nightmare:

-Zavvi didn't supply tracking info for anyone. Told me to contact them December 13th if I didn't receive my package. I should have seen the red flag right from the start, with this.

-After I contacted Dec 13, they took 4 days to give me their initial response.

-Nearly every response has taken at least 72 hours to receive (despite me responding very promptly to each message) and has been signed by a different customer service rep, meaning I've been passed around between 6 people rather than 1 person handling my case.

-They've asked me for my address FOUR TIMES "to confirm your order" despite my initial message containing my address, my initial order containing my address, my account containing my address, and me complying every damn time they ask for my address!

-They've made me fill out a "lost goods" form that looks like something their warehouse employees should be filling out, TWICE.

-They asked me to go around to all my neighbors and ask them if they received my package at any point in time.

-After they finally obliged to send me a replacement - which took until yesterday for them to agree to - I asked them to give me a tracking number this time so we can avoid a repeat of this fiasco, and they responded telling me that providing me with tracking info would be "amending" my order and that is not something they can do, so I can cancel the replacement if I wish to do so!!!? WHAT THE FUCK?!?!

Absolute horse shit for customer service. This is my favorite movie of all-time. This year has been absolute shit. I just wanted this box set to end my year on a good note. Of course 2020 managed to screw me over one last time.

Okay, I'm done venting. Thank you for attending my seminar - there are refreshments in the back.

Pretty much my story with them also. And yeah, I just wanted the goods to enjoy after a very shitty year. Zavvi fucking blows. Never again

shootemindehead
01-Jan-2021, 04:41 PM
Where are Zavvi based? They sound like a nightmare.

MinionZombie
01-Jan-2021, 04:46 PM
Where are Zavvi based? They sound like a nightmare.

They're a British company, right? They obviously do ship abroad, but they're not really properly kitted out for that, it kinda seems...

I've only ordered from them a couple of times and while I didn't have any issues, they also feel like a bit of a small time operation compared to the likes of HMV.

EvilNed
01-Jan-2021, 05:09 PM
I've ordered from Zavvi several times without a hitch.

Shame it had to go south this time around.

Harleydude666
03-Jan-2021, 02:44 PM
Why can’t the extended cut ever get the same love that the theatrical cut gets as far as sound transfer. Extended never gets the 5.1 sound. Doesn’t make sense

Neil
03-Jan-2021, 04:10 PM
Why can’t the extended cut ever get the same love that the theatrical cut gets as far as sound transfer. Extended never gets the 5.1 sound. Doesn’t make sense

Huh? The Second Sight edition contain a new scan of the Extended Cut? *confused*

EDIT: Oh I see what you mean "DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 Mono"

Harleydude666
03-Jan-2021, 04:23 PM
Huh? The Second Sight edition contain a new scan of the Extended Cut? *confused*

EDIT: Oh I see what you mean "DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 Mono"

Well after all the bitching about Zavvi that laid out here over the past week my package came yesterday, a month late but it showed up. Anyway, the extended cut does not have the 5.1 sound but the theatrical one does

shootemindehead
03-Jan-2021, 05:50 PM
Mono is the original audio as designed by the original sound designer in 1978. There are purists who would be giving out if it wasn't mono.

The 5.1 mix was never in the original film in the first place, so it's purely an enhancement done for the home market.

I'm on the fence about 5.1 remixes for Blu Ray releases myself. Sometimes they can be ok. Sometimes they can be terrible, al la 'Jaws', who's original (mono/stereo) audio mix is a far meatier affair. The 5.1 mix sounds sparse and light by comparison. The original audio just sounds better and "right". The 5.1 remix sounds completely artificial.

EvilNed
03-Jan-2021, 06:07 PM
Mono is the original audio as designed by the original sound designer in 1978. There are purists who would be giving out if it wasn't mono.

The 5.1 mix was never in the original film in the first place, so it's purely an enhancement done for the home market.

I'm on the fence about 5.1 remixes for Blu Ray releases myself. Sometimes they can be ok. Sometimes they can be terrible, al la 'Jaws', who's original (mono/stereo) audio mix is a far meatier affair. The 5.1 mix sounds sparse and light by comparison. The original audio just sounds better and "right". The 5.1 remix sounds completely artificial.

The 5.1 for Day is very bad.

shootemindehead
03-Jan-2021, 07:07 PM
Mmmm, cut dialogue too.

MinionZombie
04-Jan-2021, 10:15 AM
Well after all the bitching about Zavvi that laid out here over the past week my package came yesterday, a month late but it showed up. Anyway, the extended cut does not have the 5.1 sound but the theatrical one does

Yeah, the 5.1 mix would have been done for the theatrical version for some previous release, but it won't have been done for those additional minutes of footage in the Cannes Cut, so that'll be why there won't be a 5.1 mix for it.

However, I despise these artificial remixes on films as they are not what the movie was intended to sound like. They hop in there and split things up, but in doing so they need to then re-do a bunch of sound effects. For example - The Terminator - all the gunshots sound totally different now and, for instance, the tunnel shotgun fight sound awful compared to the original hard as fuck awesome meaty shotgun blasts of the original mix (the original audio track has not been made available on UK releases, just to rub it in).

Jaws, as Shoot says, is another shite example - for instance: the word "bitch" is censored by a newly positioned gunshot, and additional new sound effects have a totally different fidelity to them compared to the original sound effects, such as when glass is breaking aboard the sinking boat in the climax. They stick out like a sore thumb and sound awful.

1.0 mono is how Dawn was original mixed and how it was intended to sound with the technology they had available. It's not like Apocalypse Now, which originally had a 5.1 mix as that was new technology they were pushing. These artificial remixes screw up too many things and remixed films simply 'sound wrong'.

Proper crap.

Neil
05-Jan-2021, 02:28 PM
Just found out 4K Bluray is region free? Is that correct?

MinionZombie
05-Jan-2021, 03:33 PM

IIRC the 4K UHD format is a region free format in general.

EvilNed
05-Jan-2021, 04:07 PM

Dude. You're in the UK! Just order it!

shootemindehead
05-Jan-2021, 10:14 PM
Currently at £122 on Amazon uk. That's an insane amount of money to drop on a movie, regardless of the extras in the package.

MinionZombie
06-Jan-2021, 09:54 AM
Currently at £122 on Amazon uk. That's an insane amount of money to drop on a movie, regardless of the extras in the package.

I presume that'll be a marketplace seller? Price gouging scalper bastards. I've seen a fair few of them advertised in movie groups on social media, people who either bought two (for covering their ass in case a company dropped the ball, or simply looking to break even/make a profit in the long run).

I've seen a lot of that, too, with the new Xbox console. Marketplace sellers slinging it for damn near £1000. Wankers. Only fools would play along with that game.

Neil
06-Jan-2021, 10:14 AM
Dude. You're in the UK! Just order it!

Alas £80 doesn't sit well with me. And I don't even have a 4K player (yet) :)

shootemindehead
06-Jan-2021, 03:12 PM
I presume that'll be a marketplace seller? Price gouging scalper bastards. I've seen a fair few of them advertised in movie groups on social media, people who either bought two (for covering their ass in case a company dropped the ball, or simply looking to break even/make a profit in the long run).

I've seen a lot of that, too, with the new Xbox console. Marketplace sellers slinging it for damn near £1000. Wankers. Only fools would play along with that game.

One feeds the other.

Either way, there's no chance I'll be flipping the money they're asking for on a film I've seen so many times that I could act in it. Whether it's 80 quid or 120. That's just way too much money. I'll check out the non LE version if/when it arrives.

But, yeah, this scalper shit is an absolute scourge on a lot of things these days.

MinionZombie
06-Jan-2021, 04:34 PM
Alas £80 doesn't sit well with me. And I don't even have a 4K player (yet) :)

Get the Blu-Ray version then? I got mine for £65.

MinionZombie
11-Jan-2021, 05:45 PM
FYI, from Second Sight:

We will be announcing a date for the non-Limited Edition releases later this week.

From our Limited Edition run of 18,000 UHD and 6,000 Blu-ray we have just 400 left in stock of each format, going quickly but still time to order!

Make your mind up time, folks.

Neil
12-Jan-2021, 12:50 PM
What's the difference between the limited and non-limited editions then?

EvilNed
12-Jan-2021, 01:59 PM

The non-limited will probably just be the three discs with the film and nothing else.

It's for losers only.

MinionZombie
12-Jan-2021, 04:48 PM

The non-limited will probably just be the three discs with the film and nothing else.

It's for losers only.

:lol::lol::lol:

They haven't announced it yet, but I'd guess it'd be the three versions of the movie plus the extra features disc and that's all.

I'd presume that the three soundtrack CDs, the two books, and the super duper packaging would be Limited Edition only.

So if you do want that LE version, crack on before they soon run out.

Neil
13-Jan-2021, 08:26 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

They haven't announced it yet, but I'd guess it'd be the three versions of the movie plus the extra features disc and that's all.

I'd presume that the three soundtrack CDs, the two books, and the super duper packaging would be Limited Edition only.

Again, can't justify £80 :(

shootemindehead
13-Jan-2021, 08:54 AM

Well, I read the novelisation years ago and it was shite. The soundtrack I can listen to any time on YouTube. I'm listening to it right now. Most of the documentaries I've either seen or will know the information they contain already. And pffft to packaging.

All I want really is the film in its best possible condition.

So, the non LE will do me just fine and I can spend the rest in the pub...

...oh wait!

Neil
14-Jan-2021, 02:44 PM
Well, I read the novelisation years ago and it was shite. The soundtrack I can listen to any time on YouTube. I'm listening to it right now. Most of the documentaries I've either seen or will know the information they contain already. And pffft to packaging.

All I want really is the film in its best possible condition.

So, the non LE will do me just fine and I can spend the rest in the pub...

...oh wait!

LOL!! You win the internet today for that :)

MinionZombie
15-Jan-2021, 05:07 PM
Offically announced standard 4-disc edition Blu-Ray:

https://secondsightfilms.co.uk/collections/latest-releases/products/copy-of-dawn-of-the-dead-4k-uhd-pre-order-available-22nd-march-2021?fbclid=IwAR21Ss2SCaIL5A84iZPyYW4uW3rdiJZ2ALf7 gaSOktH13OuSRTOXElRUVMc

Release Date: 22nd March 2021

Price: £24.99

Also on 4K UHD, same release date, and the price will be £29.99

https://secondsightfilms.co.uk/collections/latest-releases/products/dawn-of-the-dead-4k-uhd

BLU-RAY DISC 1: THE THEATRICAL CUT

New 4K scan and restoration of the Original Camera Negative by Second Sight at Final Frame New York and London supervised and approved by DoP Michael Gornick
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 Mono - New restoration of the original OCN Optical / DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Commentary by George A Romero, Tom Savini, Christine Forrest
NEW commentary by Travis Crawford
New optional English subtitles for the hearing impaired

BLU-RAY DISC 2 – THE EXTENDED (‘CANNES’) CUT

Produced using 4K scan of the Theatrical Cut Original Camera Negative and 4K scan of the Extended Cut Colour Reversal Internegative
DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 Mono
Commentary by Richard P Rubinstein

BLU-RAY DISC 3 – THE ARGENTO CUT

4K scan of the Interpositive by Michele De Angelis at Backlight Digital, Rome
Audio: DT-HD Master Audio Mono 1.0 / Surround 5.1 / Stereo 2.0
Commentary by Ken Foree, Scott Reiniger, Gaylen Ross, David Emge

BLU-RAY DISC 4: SPECIAL FEATURES

NEW Zombies and Bikers with John Amplas, Roy Frumkes, Tom Savini, Christine Forrest, Tom Dubensky, Tony Buba, Taso Stavrakis and a whole host of zombies and bikers! (59 mins)
NEW Memories of Monroeville
A tour of the mall with Michael Gornick, Tom Savini, Tom Dubensky and Taso Stavrakis (34 mins)
NEW Raising the Dead: The Production Logistics
With Michael Gornick, Christine Forrest, John Amplas, Tom Dubensky (23 mins)
NEW The FX of Dawn with Tom Savini (13 mins)
NEW Dummies! Dummies! – An interview with Richard France (12 mins)
NEW The Lost Romero Dawn Interview: previously unreleased archive interview (20 mins)
Super 8 Mall Footage by zombie extra Ralph Langer with option of archive commentary by Robert Langer and new commentary by Ralph Langer (13 mins)
Document of the Dead: The Extended (85 mins)
Document of the Dead: The Definitive Cut with optional commentary by Roy Frumkes (100 mins)
The Dead Will Walk 2014 Documentary (80 mins)
Trailers, TV and Radio Spots (TBC)

ProfessorChaos
15-Jan-2021, 06:39 PM
forgive me for being out of the loop, but has there been any word of a release on my side of the pond?

EvilNed
15-Jan-2021, 07:08 PM
forgive me for being out of the loop, but has there been any word of a release on my side of the pond?

Not yet. But if there's a fresh 4k scan of all three cuts it's almost a certainty it'll be picked up by someone in the US fairly soon. Maybe even Criterion?

Neil
15-Jan-2021, 08:10 PM
Offically announced standard 4-disc edition Blu-Ray:

https://secondsightfilms.co.uk/collections/latest-releases/products/copy-of-dawn-of-the-dead-4k-uhd-pre-order-available-22nd-march-2021?fbclid=IwAR21Ss2SCaIL5A84iZPyYW4uW3rdiJZ2ALf7 gaSOktH13OuSRTOXElRUVMc

Release Date: 22nd March 2021

Price: £24.99

Also on 4K UHD, same release date, and the price will be £29.99

https://secondsightfilms.co.uk/collections/latest-releases/products/dawn-of-the-dead-4k-uhd

£30 I can live with :)

MikePizzoff
16-Jan-2021, 06:41 PM
Holy shit, my box set just showed up! It came from Thailand... bizarre...

shootemindehead
16-Jan-2021, 08:05 PM
Good to hear.

But the shipping warehouse being different to the country where the site is (allegedly) based is pretty common. I've ordered stuff online in the UK and US and the actual item was shipped from elsewhere.

MinionZombie
17-Jan-2021, 10:31 AM
Maybe it came via Thailand? I've seen reports from other folks that have had weird delivery routes for their items, too.

Anyway - good that it's turned up - enjoy the set, it's bodacious! :D

Movie.Shelter
02-Feb-2021, 01:19 PM
cult classic finally remastered to 4K by Second Sight. It’s amazing sets with all available cuts of the film and many bonuses. Packing is nice, especially the box itself with sturdy and well made cardboard. Consistency of artworks between digipack and books is great, but there are also 2 major disappointments. First of all same artwork on 2 digipacks and lack of pictures/arts under the discs leave the feeling that it’s rushed into production without final touches. It was delayed many times and there was plenty of time to make it perfect. Anyway it’s the best set up to date for this film without any doubts.

_dNfapxLVYU

kidgloves
05-Feb-2023, 05:11 PM
I moved recently so I've been waiting until I got my new setup sorted before I jumped back in with this set.
I've got a Dolby Atmos set up now and I have to say the 5.1 mix on the Theatrical cut is very disappointing. What was the point? There's hardly any surround

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still astonished at the picture quality ����

MinionZombie
06-Feb-2023, 09:39 AM
I've got a Dolby Atmos set up now and I have to say the 5.1 mix on the Theatrical cut is very disappointing. What was the point? There's hardly any surround

The film was never made with surround sound, though, so it'd just be a cobbled together mix after-the-fact, and those never work, for me at least. All the additional new sound effects stand out like sore thumbs and are really distracting (e.g. smashing glass in Jaws, the awful replacement gun sound effects in The Terminator).

I hate audio track remixes. Just clean up what's there and present it as it was presented before (or take a mono track and make it stereo but nothing more).