View Full Version : So the Dawn of the Dead "Complete Cut" (ie: XT Video's version) - 155 minutes

Neil
15-Nov-2020, 10:03 AM
I have to ask, given even the director's cut is around 128 minutes, what other 27 minutes of footage is there to make the film upto a staggering 155 minutes?

How can that much addditional dialog, biker scenes and zombies add up to that much? Wow!

EvilNed
15-Nov-2020, 04:14 PM
I have to ask, given even the director's cut is around 128 minutes, what other 27 minutes of footage is there to make the film upto a staggering 155 minutes?

How can that much addditional dialog, biker scenes and zombies add up to that much? Wow!

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=177418

If you look at the bottom, it says the Argento cut is missing around 26 minutes of footage from the Theatrical cut, but it's only 7 minutes shorter. That means there's around 19 minutes in the Argento cut that's not in the Theatrical cut.

Furthermore, the Cannes cut is around 137 minutes and features a hefty dose of extended scenes from the Theatrical cut (and some new ones).

If you take these 19 minutes from the Argento cut and add them ontop of the Cannes cut, which is around 137 minutes, you end up with 156 minutes.

Neil
16-Nov-2020, 08:25 AM
Interesting... 27mins of additional footage to the Theatrical version just seems to much...

EvilNed
16-Nov-2020, 05:00 PM
Interesting... 27mins of additional footage to the Theatrical version just seems to much...

I think so too. I prefer the Theatrical cut. Even the Cannes cut is too much for me.

shootemindehead
16-Nov-2020, 07:41 PM
Most of it is just tiny additions here and there too. Nobody is really missing much with the "extra" material.

That being said the "Cannes" cut has always been my go-to. But, I have a version which I cut myself, that eliminates the chopper zombie (I'm with Argento on that) and the silly pie fight. I might make another couple of trims with the docks scene, cos this guy...whoa Nelly...

EvilNed
17-Nov-2020, 08:10 AM
Most of it is just tiny additions here and there too. Nobody is really missing much with the "extra" material.

That being said the "Cannes" cut has always been my go-to. But, I have a version which I cut myself, that eliminates the chopper zombie (I'm with Argento on that) and the silly pie fight. I might make another couple of trims with the docks scene, cos this guy...whoa Nelly...

This is peak fan-culture.

MinionZombie
17-Nov-2020, 09:49 AM

Agreed on the Cannes Cut being my favoured version, although I disagree on the chopper zombie and the pie fight (the latter of which is exactly what those yahoo raiding goons would get up to, causing the chaos that they do, flingin' firecrackers around, smashing things up, getting their blood pressure tested etc).

I like the guy at the docks. I think he also fits in nicely with the rhythm of that scene.

Ooh! Speaking of the docks scene, which we were discussing in another thread - regarding the radio operator - watching the film again last night it's quite clear the radio operator did kill himself. The exit wound is clearly seen at the top of his head (i.e. the man stuck a gun in his mouth, aiming upwards with the trigger guard facing away from his body, and blew his brains out), so therefore it's suicide and not murder by the guys raiding for supplies.

shootemindehead
17-Nov-2020, 01:46 PM
Agreed on the Cannes Cut being my favoured version, although I disagree on the chopper zombie and the pie fight (the latter of which is exactly what those yahoo raiding goons would get up to, causing the chaos that they do, flingin' firecrackers around, smashing things up, getting their blood pressure tested etc).

I've never liked either the chopper zombie or the pie scene. The problem with the former is the issue with how the prosthetic shifted on the stunt guy's head. It just looks laughable. I appreciate the effect and it was ingenious, as are most of Savini's special effects. But it just falls apart because that head is so terrible.

The pie thing I just hate, even if it might be something that crew would do. Even more ridiculous is the Test Your Blood Pressure guy.

I like the guy at the docks. I think he also fits in nicely with the rhythm of that scene.

The acting in 'Dawn of the Dead' was never anything to write home about, but by god that fella takes the biscuit. "We'd be stuck...we'd be stuck...".

LOL, you're fired.

I still like seeing Joe Pilato in that Docks scene though. Pity he never had a better career. He had that "untrustworthy edgy bastard" thing down.

Ooh! Speaking of the docks scene, which we were discussing in another thread - regarding the radio operator - watching the film again last night it's quite clear the radio operator did kill himself. The exit wound is clearly seen at the top of his head (i.e. the man stuck a gun in his mouth, aiming upwards with the trigger guard facing away from his body, and blew his brains out), so therefore it's suicide and not murder by the guys raiding for supplies.

I don't remember this discussion. I always was under the impression that he'd opted out.

Or do you mean "we" as in the site?

MinionZombie
17-Nov-2020, 04:11 PM
I don't remember this discussion. I always was under the impression that he'd opted out.

Or do you mean "we" as in the site?

Yeah, the wider 'we', the HPOTD 'we', heh.

It was in another thread and that came up as a point of argument ... in the filmmakers' forum IIRC. Just seeing the film again, and that scene, and in a glorious HD restoration, it was even clearer that the guy's exit wound was at the top of his head - you can see the hairline is interrupted by the exit wound.

Watching the movie again, it reminded me of just how crazy Dawn is as a low budget film - the sheer amount of action and scale and spectacle on show. Even just the amount of coverage they got, is incredible. Just goes to show how Romero, Gornick et al were so talented to get so much out of so little money. Other genre filmmakers, working with larger budgets, never approached the sheer scale and coverage of what Romero & Co were able to pull off.

shootemindehead
17-Nov-2020, 07:10 PM
I can't remember who said it, but I recall a quote something like "Romero made a 2 million Dollar picture look like 10, and Frankenheimer (Prophecy) made a 10 million dollar picture look like 2."

MinionZombie
18-Nov-2020, 10:00 AM
I can't remember who said it, but I recall a quote something like "Romero made a 2 million Dollar picture look like 10, and Frankenheimer (Prophecy) made a 10 million dollar picture look like 2."

:lol:

Although, when digging through some of the extras, Mike Gornick says to Tom Savini (during the new mall tour video) that the actual budget they were working with was $425,000 ... so even lower than the apparent 'real' budget of about $750,000 (after the $1-1.5 million was confirmed as bogus).

Considering that, it's even more amazing that they managed to get all that coverage and action on-screen and in-camera.

EvilNed
18-Nov-2020, 10:07 AM
Watching the movie again, it reminded me of just how crazy Dawn is as a low budget film - the sheer amount of action and scale and spectacle on show. Even just the amount of coverage they got, is incredible. Just goes to show how Romero, Gornick et al were so talented to get so much out of so little money. Other genre filmmakers, working with larger budgets, never approached the sheer scale and coverage of what Romero & Co were able to pull off.

It's spelled NON-UNION. ;)

Harleydude666
18-Nov-2020, 11:41 AM

Nah, I never watch the theatrical, the Extended cut for me. It really gives you the sense of dread of how long they spend in the mall. Plus the helicopter station is fleshed out more and makes sense

MinionZombie
18-Nov-2020, 04:12 PM
It's spelled NON-UNION. ;)

Even still, it's a hell of a lot of coverage and action and locations to pull off. I mean literally just making your day and getting what you need in-the-can. Amazing.

beat_truck
18-Nov-2020, 05:54 PM
I have the Dawn of the Dead "Extended Mall Hours" cut that runs at ~155 minutes. Personally, I like all the added / combined footage.:confused:

I have the Ultimate Edition DVD set, too. I've watched the Director's Cut the most. I watched the Italian cut at least once, but am not a fan. Too much important stuff missing, and the soundtrack was weird and annoying from what I remember. I don't think I've watched the Theatrical Version since I had it on VHS.

MinionZombie
19-Nov-2020, 10:00 AM
I have the Dawn of the Dead "Extended Mall Hours" cut that runs at ~155 minutes. Personally, I like all the added / combined footage.:confused:

I have the Ultimate Edition DVD set, too. I've watched the Director's Cut the most. I watched the Italian cut at least once, but am not a fan. Too much important stuff missing, and the soundtrack was weird and annoying from what I remember. I don't think I've watched the Theatrical Version since I had it on VHS.

Yeah ... not a fan of the Argento Cut, either ... it just misses so many marks, removes any depth, and shoves in too much Goblin in a typically jarring Italian manner (they weren't known for delicate music editing). It's a curio that I have watched (twice - but once with commentary), but it's a decidedly inferior version of the film.

Neil
19-Nov-2020, 10:11 AM

So the Mall Hours version must be much the same as this "Complete Cut" then...

EvilNed
19-Nov-2020, 12:25 PM
Personally I've never seen the Argento-cut. I just never got around to it. My old VHS was the Theatrical cut and when I bought the DVD it had the Cannes Cut and Argento cut (but not the theatrical one!). Just never popped it in. Actually kinda looking forward to it this time around.

Oh and I'm in Team-Goblin camp. I think the library music used in Dawn is only to its detriment.

MinionZombie
19-Nov-2020, 04:46 PM
Oh and I'm in Team-Goblin camp. I think the library music used in Dawn is only to its detriment.

You're quite mad. :D

I think the library stuff works wonderfully in Romero's edits, he had a good ear for picking the right piece for the right moment, as well as juxtaposing those pieces of music. I've just listened to both CDs of the De Wolfe music in the snazzy new Second Sight doorstopper release. There's the odd slightly iffy track, but almost all of it is so tied to Dawn in my mind that I couldn't possibly watch it without it.

I was pleased that they had that bit of classical sounded music they put on during that last supper scene. I don't recall it being on the single CD De Wolfe Dawn soundtrack CD (the one with the black and yellow cover art), so was chuffed to hear it on the full beans version.

The Goblin stuff that Romero does use works really well, true, but he also uses it just enough without over-doing it (unlike in Argento's edit of the film, which goes too hard on the Goblin stuff, and makes some oddball choices ... mind you, I was quite keen on "Zaratozom" (IIRC), which (IIRC), Argento used during the biker invasion ... ... that said, I think the music did distract from the thunderous racket of the bikers invading the mall, which is much more threatening.

beat_truck
19-Nov-2020, 05:07 PM
So the Mall Hours version must be much the same as this "Complete Cut" then...

I don't know for sure, but I would assume so.

- - - Updated - - -

You're quite mad. :D

I think the library stuff works wonderfully in Romero's edits, he had a good ear for picking the right piece for the right moment, as well as juxtaposing those pieces of music. I've just listened to both CDs of the De Wolfe music in the snazzy new Second Sight doorstopper release. There's the odd slightly iffy track, but almost all of it is so tied to Dawn in my mind that I couldn't possibly watch it without it.

I was pleased that they had that bit of classical sounded music they put on during that last supper scene. I don't recall it being on the single CD De Wolfe Dawn soundtrack CD (the one with the black and yellow cover art), so was chuffed to hear it on the full beans version.

The Goblin stuff that Romero does use works really well, true, but he also uses it just enough without over-doing it (unlike in Argento's edit of the film, which goes too hard on the Goblin stuff, and makes some oddball choices ... mind you, I was quite keen on "Zaratozom" (IIRC), which (IIRC), Argento used during the biker invasion ... ... that said, I think the music did distract from the thunderous racket of the bikers invading the mall, which is much more threatening.

I completely agree. I think the library music works very well. Dawn just isn't "right" to me without it.

Luckily, if I remember right, the Mall Hours version has most, if not all of the library music. There are a couple hiccups from the combined footage, but not too awful at all when you consider what was done.

MikePizzoff
03-Dec-2020, 06:46 AM
I’m with Nick on this one - as much as I love Goblin, the DeWolfe library music is almost another character in the movie and helps make it the masterpiece that is!

More on topic, I have a German blu-ray of the complete cut, extended cut - whatever you wanna call it - and just watched it last year for the first time. It’s absolutely crazy how much footage is in it that I’ve never seen before. Sure a lot of it is just a combination of all 3 official cuts, but there is a serious amount of little extra b It’s of dialogue or shots here and there, that I was super excited over because it was footage I had never seen before. From what I remember, the biker scene in particular had a lot of new stuff added to it. It’s a must-see for die hard fans like us!

Also... HELLO BOYS, I’M BAAAACK!

MinionZombie
03-Dec-2020, 10:18 AM
I've never watched this "complete cut" fan edit before, I think I saw a bit, but the editing was too choppy and jarring and it kinda put me off. But then again, I would be intrigued to see the unseen bits of footage - are these bits of footage that have appeared in no other version of the film?

Also - hi, Mike! :)

Neil
03-Dec-2020, 01:44 PM
I've never watched this "complete cut" fan edit before, I think I saw a bit, but the editing was too choppy and jarring and it kinda put me off. But then again, I would be intrigued to see the unseen bits of footage - are these bits of footage that have appeared in no other version of the film?
I don't think this is to be confused with a fan cut? ie: The impression I get from this "Complete Cut" is it doesn't appear to be stuck togethor, with differences in quality/colouring etc etc... At least from the reviews I've read.

MikePizzoff
03-Dec-2020, 02:02 PM
The XT Video blu ray did a pretty great job with making it as least jarring as possible, but remastering the different sources to look very similar. Every now and then you can tell when a scene will add in a bit from a different source, but it’s not often and it’s not that bad at all. They also reworked a bunch of the audio so that helps too - from what I remember, there aren’t any sharp audio cuts or anything. Overall, it feels like an official cut, not a fan edit.

There is a lot of footage that I have no clue where they got it from. I guess somehow they got their hands on reels of unused footage. Most of it comes in the form of a few extra seconds on shots of zombie kills, or an extra line or two at the end of a scene. But there are some entirely new zombie kills, shots of zombies roaming the malls, and a couple of entire scenes of dialogue that we never saw before such as Flyboy and Peter talking about what to do if Fran gets bitten.

I can’t recommend it enough!

shootemindehead
03-Dec-2020, 02:24 PM
https://neonfrights.wordpress.com/2018/05/01/dawn-of-the-dead-1978-complete-cut-xt-video-analysis-review/

Neil
03-Dec-2020, 03:22 PM
https://neonfrights.wordpress.com/2018/05/01/dawn-of-the-dead-1978-complete-cut-xt-video-analysis-review/

Yeh, so:-

I would say is the ‘Extended Mall Cut’ / ‘Ultimate Final Cut’ was rough around the edges; there was colour and sound distortion which was noticeable on the ‘deleted’ scenes which had been added. Those issues are not present on the ‘Complete Cut’, the scenes are combined seamlessly and there is no noticeable disparity while watching the film, everything looks fine in that regard.

JDP
03-Dec-2020, 03:47 PM
The XT Video blu ray did a pretty great job with making it as least jarring as possible, but remastering the different sources to look very similar. Every now and then you can tell when a scene will add in a bit from a different source, but it’s not often and it’s not that bad at all. They also reworked a bunch of the audio so that helps too - from what I remember, there aren’t any sharp audio cuts or anything. Overall, it feels like an official cut, not a fan edit.

There is a lot of footage that I have no clue where they got it from. I guess somehow they got their hands on reels of unused footage. Most of it comes in the form of a few extra seconds on shots of zombie kills, or an extra line or two at the end of a scene. But there are some entirely new zombie kills, shots of zombies roaming the malls, and a couple of entire scenes of dialogue that we never saw before such as Flyboy and Peter talking about what to do if Fran gets bitten.

I can’t recommend it enough!

This must be that obscure "German cut" (it seems like it is actually Austrian) of the film that I heard about years ago, which was said to have some additional scenes not found in any of the other known cuts. Always wondered where in blazes did they get that extra footage from.

beat_truck
04-Dec-2020, 04:17 AM
I have no idea where the "Extended Mall Hours" .iso disc image I have was originally sourced from. It's been a while since I watched it, but I thought it was pretty well put together. It's not perfect, but it's enjoyable.

The dialogue about what to do with Fran if she got bit was in there, but if i remember correctly, that was from the Argento cut.

This might be the version I have. I only watched a few minutes of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5iUUq8GUWA

Edit: There appear to be some fairly rough transitions in there. Oh well. Whaddya want for free?:D

MikePizzoff
04-Dec-2020, 05:00 AM
This must be that obscure "German cut" (it seems like it is actually Austrian) of the film that I heard about years ago, which was said to have some additional scenes not found in any of the other known cuts. Always wondered where in blazes did they get that extra footage from.

You are correct! It’s that German cut.

Moon Knight
04-Dec-2020, 03:59 PM
Looks like there is still so many versions I’ve never seen. Was never a fan of the Argento version. I prefer the original music. Extended cut was cool.