PDA

View Full Version : Godless (Netflix series)

Neil
19-Nov-2020, 10:12 AM
Well I really enjoyed this western series. A few rough patches, but generally very good!

QxY86L9Y2bs

Mike70
20-Nov-2020, 12:07 AM
I will probably check this out.

Off topic and for a bit of convo: Did you watch Deadwood? I think that is one of the most realistic depictions of conditions in the "Old West."

Neil
20-Nov-2020, 10:25 AM
I will probably check this out.

Off topic and for a bit of convo: Did you watch Deadwood? I think that is one of the most realistic depictions of conditions in the "Old West."

I know Deadwood got a lot of good press... Should I give it a go?

The nice thing about Godless is it's just the 7-8 episodes, so not a massive undertaking.

kidgloves
20-Nov-2020, 10:00 PM
I tried a rewatch recently of Deadwood and it was just how I remembered it from years ago. An excellent 1st season. Great start to the 2nd but lost it's way and kind of limped home in the 3rd season.

MinionZombie
21-Nov-2020, 10:39 AM
I tried a rewatch recently of Deadwood and it was just how I remembered it from years ago. An excellent 1st season. Great start to the 2nd but lost it's way and kind of limped home in the 3rd season.

Neil - definitely check out Deadwood.

Season One - superb.
Season Two - I'd say just as good.
Season Three - the weakest of the three, sure, but still has a lot going for it. Always a shame that the show got cancelled as it clearly had some plans (some of which the belated movie manages to address).
Deadwood: The Movie - I enjoyed it much more the second time around as I had re-familiarised myself with all the characters having done a re-watch of all of Deadwood.

Neil
21-Nov-2020, 12:41 PM
Neil - definitely check out Deadwood.

Season One - superb.
Season Two - I'd say just as good.
Season Three - the weakest of the three, sure, but still has a lot going for it. Always a shame that the show got cancelled as it clearly had some plans (some of which the belated movie manages to address).
Deadwood: The Movie - I enjoyed it much more the second time around as I had re-familiarised myself with all the characters having done a re-watch of all of Deadwood.

OK... Will do... Godless has given me a taste for westerns again :)

Mike70
22-Nov-2020, 01:32 PM
I know Deadwood got a lot of good press... Should I give it a go?

The nice thing about Godless is it's just the 7-8 episodes, so not a massive undertaking.

YES! Ian McShane is just amazing. Probably one of the best acting performances ever in a TV show. "Deadwood" is a like a time capsule. The Old West is presented a gritty, dangerous, and not at all romantic way. Definitely worth a watch.

MinionZombie
22-Nov-2020, 04:30 PM
YES! Ian McShane is just amazing. Probably one of the best acting performances ever in a TV show. "Deadwood" is a like a time capsule. The Old West is presented a gritty, dangerous, and not at all romantic way. Definitely worth a watch.

Great dialogue, too.

Occasionally it can get a bit too flowery and verbose (as if someone's dived too deep into a thesaurus), but as long as you're awake and keeping up then there's some real gems sewn throughout. There's just certain lines that, with the characterisation and delivery, just made me laugh out loud.

Neil
23-Nov-2020, 08:53 AM
Great dialogue, too.

Occasionally it can get a bit too flowery and verbose (as if someone's dived too deep into a thesaurus), but as long as you're awake and keeping up then there's some real gems sewn throughout. There's just certain lines that, with the characterisation and delivery, just made me laugh out loud.Instantly thinks of Alan Rickman in Die Hard...

Neil
05-Apr-2021, 02:36 PM

Well, finally finished watching all three series. Why the heck did they stop at series 3? :(

MinionZombie
05-Apr-2021, 04:38 PM
Well, finally finished watching all three series. Why the heck did they stop at series 3? :(

Deadwood, you mean?

I seem to recall reading there were disputes about money for the production, number of episodes, etc - things just got protracted and such behind the scenes and HBO shit-canned it with viewing figures higher than what they oftentimes get these days. Totally stupid.

ALSO - have you remembered to check out the Deadwood movie? It came out in 2019 and picks up a number of years later. Definitely needs to be seen. It can't take the place of a fourth season, but it does follow-up with everyone and provides some closure.

Neil
05-Apr-2021, 05:57 PM
Deadwood, you mean?

I seem to recall reading there were disputes about money for the production, number of episodes, etc - things just got protracted and such behind the scenes and HBO shit-canned it with viewing figures higher than what they oftentimes get these days. Totally stupid.

ALSO - have you remembered to check out the Deadwood movie? It came out in 2019 and picks up a number of years later. Definitely needs to be seen. It can't take the place of a fourth season, but it does follow-up with everyone and provides some closure.

Yeh, got the movie, but won't be able to watch it for 2-3 months. Lounge being given a massive kick starting tomorrow which is likely to take 2-3 months. So TV and surround system is out of the room, and I'd want to do the film justice.

I literally finished the last episode of Deadwood, and then turn off and took the TV and other equipment away.