PDA

View Full Version : Prey...

MinionZombie
27-Jul-2006, 10:35 PM
Okay, I've been playing this for the past three days and I've gotta say ... it's not that great.

I know, the demo made it look so great, and those levels in the demo were pretty damn cool, the bar level being a great opening...but once the gimmick of portals and gravity wears off, it's actually bloody boring. There isn't enough "earth bound stuff" littered around the "living ship" (the school bus, or the plane - those are great scenes, but that's about it that you get to see!)

Most of the levels feel the same, there's barely any change in the enemies ... and most of the time you don't feel challenged. The weapons too - there's about 6 of them, far too few, and they're not really that great either. Nice to see some originality, but none of them are any real good, how about a couple of real world weapons eh?

The lighting effects though, are a good thing, the "original parts" of the game (portals, living ship etc etc) are good, but wear out rather fast.

Being a fan of Doom 3 and Quake 4, I'm sad to say the Doom 3 engine really is showing it's limits now with some rather unoriginal developments and especially level design (although the gravity/wall walk stuff is nifty as heck).

Prey has a great start - the first handful of levels are great, but it's not got the goods to sustain itself. Shame really.

CoinReturn
27-Jul-2006, 10:51 PM
I have to agree man. The Doom 3 engine really isnt anything special. Its like, clunky. I can't think of a good word to describe it. I felt ripped off, the demo made Prey seem like a AAA title, but its merely ok. It just gets so monotonous and repetetive.

Danny
28-Jul-2006, 04:59 AM
didnt like doom, didnt like this, halo, then half life 2 are my all time favs which have yet to be topped.

Neil
28-Jul-2006, 09:35 PM
I wanna play the 1998 version :)

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2006, 09:46 PM
Finished the game today (goddamn does the end/final battle take FRIGGIN' AGES!!!!!! :mad:), and in the credits they give props to the original version of Prey, which didn't get off the ground, and dedicated it to the guy (now dead) who did all the portal jiggery pokery on the original Prey.

So the Prey we have now is essentially a resurrection of a deceased project, rather than a rip off.

MikePizzoff
30-Jan-2007, 02:23 AM
I bought the collectors edition of this game for $30 tonight. So far it's pretty damn fun, but seems like a very fast play. I got through the first 7 levels in about an hour and a half (and this is after spending a very long time getting the arcade machine achievements in the bar). I'm having a great time with it, though.

I do see how you're saying it gets monotonous and is the same thing over and over. Maybe where the game really shines is in its multiplayer? I don't know, I haven't tried it yet.

:::EDIT::: Okay the multiplayer is god-farking-awful. It's very hard to find a game and when you finally do it's plagued with nothing but lag.

I'm really regreting not just purchasing GUN like I originally intended on doing. Why oh why did I have to ask the guy at the register to help me decide?!

capncnut
31-Jan-2007, 03:04 PM
didnt like doom...

Nods in agreement all the way on this one. I thought Doom 3 was AWFUL, yeah the zombies were okay and it was mildly frightening for 5 minutes but at the end of the day, it's like playing murder in the dark: dark, annoying and forever bumping into stuff. Doom should've taken a leaf out of Silent Hill 2's book, at least they used an effect where your eyes get accustomed to the dark and you can find your way around. And that electronic diary thing was just plain crap, really.

I only bought Prey a few weeks ago and I think it qualifies as a keeper (only just) 'cos of it's unique approach. Okay, it does get mindnumbingly repetitive after a while and the whole afterlife level defies the point of including lives but at the end of the day it's the originality of the title that saves it (only just :sneaky:) from the trash heap.

Danny
31-Jan-2007, 05:54 PM
yeah,its one of those games you can play through in one go, leave for a few months then it'll be brand new again.