PDA

View Full Version : Sad news about a member...

Kaos
20-Jan-2021, 12:10 AM
I've relayed the news that Yojimbo passed away in October. He was a regular here at one time, and I am sure many of you knew him on a number of Romero facebook forums. I tell you, as some of you know I lost my brother in October, and although I just heard of this today 2020 somehow sucks more than it did yesterday.

RIP Steve...

Daoyinyang
20-Jan-2021, 07:28 AM
It makes me sad to hear about a loss of a family member. Whether family through a forum page, or blood: it's sad.
I hope you start to feel better, 2020 has been one unfortunate year for almost everyone.

Stay Strong.

R.I.P Yojimbo

Neil
20-Jan-2021, 09:04 AM
Yeh, he was active here about a decade or so ago.

Alas many of the folks here, given the age of the original films, are 50/60+ now... So... :(

Any idea as to the cause of death?

shootemindehead
20-Jan-2021, 09:22 AM
Sorry to hear that Kaos. I remember Yojimbo.

I think 2020 is a year we all want to stick behind us. :(

Mike70
20-Jan-2021, 03:40 PM
I've relayed the news that Yojimbo passed away in October. He was a regular here at one time, and I am sure many of you knew him on a number of Romero facebook forums. I tell you, as some of you know I lost my brother in October, and although I just heard of this today 2020 somehow sucks more than it did yesterday.

RIP Steve...

WHAT? That sucks, big time. I kept up contact with Steve in the real world for years and years. I hadn't talked to him in the last couple though. Steve was an awesome dude. He wasn't that old. I wonder what happened? Not Covid, I hope.

MinionZombie
20-Jan-2021, 05:27 PM
Man, Yojimbo, now there's a name from back in the HPOTD Loom days I remembered seeing often in various discussions...

RIP Yojimbo. :(

EvilNed
20-Jan-2021, 09:11 PM
Rest in peace, I remember him too.
Sad to hear it.
Honestly it doesn't seem all that long ago since we saw his name crop up here.

His last activity was on the 5th of May, 2013.
His signature was actually a quote of mine. It read:

Originally Posted by EvilNed
As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

He was 52 years old according to his profile. I still remember his avatar and everything. Miss him.

Mike70
21-Jan-2021, 12:18 AM
Rest in peace, I remember him too.
Sad to hear it.
Honestly it doesn't seem all that long ago since we saw his name crop up here.

His last activity was on the 5th of May, 2013.
His signature was actually a quote of mine. It read:

He was 52 years old according to his profile. I still remember his avatar and everything. Miss him.

Steve was cool as fuck now that I've been thinking about some of the side convos we had. Steve was a Japanese-American and an undertaker by trade. If I remember rightly his kin were interred during WWII. He and I were both into Kurosawa films. That's one of the things we used to bs about. Damn.

Neil
21-Jan-2021, 09:45 AM
Steve was cool as fuck now that I've been thinking about some of the side convos we had. Steve was a Japanese-American and an undertaker by trade. If I remember rightly his kin were interred during WWII. He and I were both into Kurosawa films. That's one of the things we used to bs about. Damn.

Heck, that fired up a couple of memory cells of mine... Didn't he use to go into some detail about his "trade" and what he'd encountered?

Tricky
21-Jan-2021, 11:39 AM
Damn, I remember him being a prominent poster back in the old days. RIP Yojimbo.

The older I get the more proof I find that time passes very quickly and life is very short. Losing my dad a few years back certainly hammered it home.

Neil
21-Jan-2021, 12:19 PM
The older I get the more proof I find that time passes very quickly and life is very short. Losing my dad a few years back certainly hammered it home.
I still can't believe it's 5yrs since Bowie died!

shootemindehead
21-Jan-2021, 01:45 PM
Damn, I remember him being a prominent poster back in the old days. RIP Yojimbo.

Hmmm...

I'm in my 40's now and it feels like time is pissing by. I talk about things with the Mrs. sometimes as if it was something that happened within the last few months and she's like "Ya feckin ejit, that was 5 bleedin years ago."

Gas to think that when I was in my teens, a year felt like it was forever. I could do one now standing on my head.

ProfessorChaos
22-Jan-2021, 05:37 AM
damn awful news. miss seeing him around here. dude was always a very positive guy who never said a bad thing about anyone or anything that I can recall.

after a few close friends and relatives have passed in the last few years, along with a few classmates and other acquaintances, as well as having a couple kids and recently hitting the big 4-0, the fact that life is precious and too damn short becomes more real and evident as time marches on. take care of yourselves my dudes and dudettes. make the most of every day and look out for your friends and family.

godspeed steve!

Tricky
22-Jan-2021, 10:05 AM
Hmmm...

I'm in my 40's now and it feels like time is pissing by. I talk about things with the Mrs. sometimes as if it was something that happened within the last few months and she's like "Ya feckin ejit, that was 5 bleedin years ago."

Gas to think that when I was in my teens, a year felt like it was forever. I could do one now standing on my head.

I hear you on that, especially as a kid when it came to waiting for Christmas so you could ask for the thing that you'd been obsessively wanting all year like the Megadrive! The five years I spent at secondary school seemed like an eternity whereas I joined the army six years ago and that's flown by in what feels like five minutes. Then there's seeing your favourite musicians and actors who have been prominent in the media for your entire life getting old, frail and dying off like the recently departed Sean Connery and the likes of Bowie, Lemmy, Eddie Van Halen etc

Neil
22-Jan-2021, 02:07 PM
I hear you on that, especially as a kid when it came to waiting for Christmas so you could ask for the thing that you'd been obsessively wanting all year like the Megadrive! The five years I spent at secondary school seemed like an eternity whereas I joined the army six years ago and that's flown by in what feels like five minutes. Then there's seeing your favourite musicians and actors who have been prominent in the media for your entire life getting old, frail and dying off like the recently departed Sean Connery and the likes of Bowie, Lemmy, Eddie Van Halen etc

The passing of celebrities is an odd thing. The death (suicide) of Robin Williams seemingly played a part with a friend of mine having a nervous breakdown. It was seemingly one of the straws that broke the camel's back...

Mike70
22-Jan-2021, 07:46 PM
Heck, that fired up a couple of memory cells of mine... Didn't he use to go into some detail about his "trade" and what he'd encountered?
Yes. He freaked me out with a number of stories of weird encounters. Pretty much inspired me to get cremated when the time comes.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really, really into classic TV. I find myself wondering about who is and who isn't alive in a given episode of Star Trek or Kolchak. I'm always pleased when I find out that someone is still alive and going at like 90 or so.

Kaos
24-Jan-2021, 01:53 AM
I'm really, really into classic TV. I find myself wondering about who is and who isn't alive in a given episode of Star Trek or Kolchak. I'm always pleased when I find out that someone is still alive and going at like 90 or so.

Me too, Mike.

JDP
25-Jan-2021, 06:28 PM
Lemmy

This is a guy that I thought was going to outlive us all, even me! Shit, and it's in fact ALL the "classic lineup" members of Motörhead who are gone. "Fast" Eddie Clarke was the last one left, and he died some three years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

He freaked me out with a number of stories of weird encounters.

Of the "paranormal" kind, or just of the "living people doing weird/improper shit" kind?

I'm afraid there's very few ones left from those shows. Of the Kolchak "regulars", Ruth McDevitt was the first one to die and Jack Grinnage is the only one who is still alive.

Mike70
26-Jan-2021, 12:35 AM
I'm afraid there's very few ones left from those shows. Of the Kolchak "regulars", Ruth McDevitt was the first one to die and Jack Grinnage is the only one who is still alive.

More the guest stars. The chick in "The Werewolf" that I was hot for when I was a kid, Nita Talbot, is 90.

Yeah, I'm pretty much up on who is and who isn't alive as the main cast goes. I'm pretty deep into the classic TV scene.

JDP
26-Jan-2021, 02:21 AM
More the guest stars. The chick in "The Werewolf" that I was hot for when I was a kid, Nita Talbot, is 90.

Yeah, I'm pretty much up on who is and who isn't alive as the main cast goes. I'm pretty deep into the classic TV scene.

Are you also into the "they recycled him/her" thing on the old shows? For example, Three's Company "recycled" Jeffrey Tambor 3 times! In one episode he played Cindy's millionaire boyfriend, in another one he played a doctor who is mistaken for a dangerous lunatic by Jack and Janet, and in yet another episode he played Terry's dentist boyfriend (and I am purposefully leaving aside the fact that he was also one of the main cast members on The Ropers spin-off!)

bassman
07-Mar-2021, 01:29 AM
I’ve been absent for a while, just now seeing this. Such sad news. Many, many great discussions with Yojimbo over the years.

Mike70
07-Mar-2021, 08:29 PM
I’ve been absent for a while, just now seeing this. Such sad news. Many, many great discussions with Yojimbo over the years.

Hell and yes. Yojimbo was active in the old chat room quite a bit.

Btw: glad to see you made it back from the Islands. Have any cigarettes left?

AcesandEights
08-Mar-2021, 04:11 AM
Thanks for posting this, Kaos.

Even though we were in some of the same groups on Facebook and ‘friends’ on there, I had totally missed that this had happened. Yojimbo was, near as I could tell, a standup guy, and one of the kindest folks I met through hpotd. Goddamn.

kidgloves
08-Mar-2021, 12:24 PM
Shit. Just seen this as well. I remember Yojimbo very well.
52 is no age 🥺

Moon Knight
08-Mar-2021, 05:46 PM
I remember, Yojimbo. So sad to hear. RIP.

bassman
13-Mar-2021, 09:58 AM
Btw: glad to see you made it back from the Islands. Have any cigarettes left?

Publius
12-Jun-2021, 04:05 PM
Sorry to come back here for the first time in years and see this. RIP, Yojimbo! He was my first friend on these forums after that feature was added.

Kaos
02-Jul-2021, 05:58 PM
I just got word that Paul Blaise passed away. I have forgotten his handle here, but I am sure that some of you knew him on facebook forums. He was 53.

Mike70
02-Jul-2021, 11:01 PM
I just got word that Paul Blaise passed away. I have forgotten his handle here, but I am sure that some of you knew him on facebook forums. He was 53. That wasn't Kortick, was it?

Neil
03-Jul-2021, 08:28 AM
I just got word that Paul Blaise passed away. I have forgotten his handle here, but I am sure that some of you knew him on facebook forums. He was 53.

53? Sheesh!

Kaos
04-Jul-2021, 12:18 AM
That wasn't Kortick, was it?

Looking at Kortick's profile, it very well could be him.

- - - Updated - - -

Confirmed. It was Kortick.

MinionZombie
04-Jul-2021, 10:41 AM
Damn.

RIP Kortick.

:(

Mike70
04-Jul-2021, 11:11 AM
Looking at Kortick's profile, it very well could be him.

- - - Updated - - -

Confirmed. It was Kortick.

Damn. I hope it was in a hotel room full of strippers.