PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else listen to vinyl?

Mike70
27-Jan-2021, 01:59 AM
I've been rediscovering records big time. I bought a retro stereo (it has a feckin' cassette player!) dusted off some of my mom's old records that I have, ordered a few new ones, and I'm a happy vinyl listener. There is something about putting a record on that can't be replicated. I find that I'm much more likely to listen to an album all the way through if it's vinyl. I also feel more "engaged" with the music somehow. And then there's the artwork on the gatefolds! Digital music just can't do that.

For my first go round I bought "Moving Pictures" - Rush, "Caravanserai" - Santana, "Houses of the Holy", "Presence", "In Through the Out Door", and 'III" - Led Zeppelin, "The Number of the Beast" and "Piece of Mind" - Iron Maiden. Just getting started...

JDP
27-Jan-2021, 05:39 AM
I have many records from back in the day (original pressings, not modern re-issues, including the first two Iron Maiden studio albums + the live in Japan EP, the ones with Paul Di'Anno), but haven't played them in quite a while. It's been ages since I had a record player.

We used to love an activity we called "scare the neighborhood", which consisted in blasting such songs as Twisted Sister's "Under the Blade" or Saxon's "Denim and Leather" from our massive stereo speakers, which were conveniently located in a balcony overlooking the neighborhood, so as to make it easier for our brand of acoustic terrorism to reach as many ears as possible (yes, we utterly enjoyed annoying the hell out of the "wimps" back then.) One time, after the song was over, instead of the usual "silence", we heard some anonymous voice in the distance yell: "fucking awesome!" It seems like some people weren't as scared, offended and/or disturbed as we thought by the music coming out of our blasting speakers.

Neil
27-Jan-2021, 02:32 PM
Here in the UK, doesn't vinyl out sell CDs now?

Mike70
27-Jan-2021, 04:29 PM
Here in the UK, doesn't vinyl out sell CDs now?

And in the US too. Last year vinyl accounted for 62% of all physical music sales.

Here's the RIAA breakdown for 2020:
Physical sales: $376 million
Digital sales: $351 million
AD revenue: $421million.

Not surprising in this day and age that advertising is the number 1 money maker.

beat_truck
31-Jan-2021, 04:34 PM
Record addict here. I have tons of albums, 45s, and even 78s. Plus multiple turntables, amps, cartridges, speakers, etc. Most of it is done on a low budget, though. I am satisfied with digital, and refuse to pay inflated prices for music just because it is on a record when I can find probably 90% of what I want to hear for free on Youtube or Spotify.

shootemindehead
31-Jan-2021, 06:21 PM
My entire vinyl collection was destroyed in a flood in 2011...so no.

Mike70
03-Feb-2021, 01:55 PM
My entire vinyl collection was destroyed in a flood in 2011...so no.

Didn't you post some pics of that way back then? I seem to remember some pics of a swamped street and cars trapped, water halfway up the windows.

Tricky
03-Feb-2021, 03:01 PM
I don't think I've ever bought a vinyl in my life! When I started getting into music it was cassette tapes but CD's were already taking over, and it must be 10 years since I last bought a CD as well. My dad who died five years ago had a vast collection of vinyls from his youth that the family still need to get together and sort through at some point.

shootemindehead
03-Feb-2021, 05:32 PM
Didn't you post some pics of that way back then? I seem to remember some pics of a swamped street and cars trapped, water halfway up the windows.

Aye. I think so. Whole bottom half of the house got wrecked.

I had some good stuff in that collection too. Rare 1st pressings of Motorhead albums and a limited edition LA Woman. Shame.

MinionZombie
04-Feb-2021, 10:38 AM
I don't think I've ever bought a vinyl in my life! When I started getting into music it was cassette tapes but CD's were already taking over, and it must be 10 years since I last bought a CD as well. My dad who died five years ago had a vast collection of vinyls from his youth that the family still need to get together and sort through at some point.

Vinyls were before my time. I didn't really start getting into music until I was entering double digits - at which point it was cassette tapes initially, then one Xmas I got a ghetto blaster with double tape deck and a CD player. It was still a while before I developed my own musical tastes.

I used to make mix tapes, but it always bothered me that you could never quite get it right - the tape side would run out too soon or too late.

I'm all about CDs. I still make mix cds for the car stereo, and I still buy CDs. In fact, in these last couple of weeks I've bought four or five of them. I've got the new Foo Fighters album coming on CD tomorrow.

I do love a CD. I don't love those shitty digipak cardboard cases, especially the really cheap shitty ones that are just the simplest form of cardboard sleeve, which the CD can easily fall out of that some bands insist on (I'm looking at you, Chromatics and Johnny Jewel).

My Mum's got a bunch of vinyls, though. Mind you, there's a fair bit in there that's of no interest to me - but she does have various classical albums, and a bunch of ABBA albums from the 70s and 80s.

JDP
04-Feb-2021, 11:49 AM
Did anyone try to play their records backwards to see if there really were "hidden messages" in them? LOL! I actually did, several times. Mötley Crüe's "Shout at the Devil" was largely responsible for piquing my curiosity about this, since they even purposefully put a "Caution: This record may contain backward messages" warning on it, and also all the allegations regarding Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Queen ("It's fun to smoke marijuana", LOL!), etc., supposedly putting such "subliminal messages" in their records. But in order not to risk damaging the albums, what I would do was copy them to a blank tape first, open the tape casing, then flip the reel over, close the tape casing, and then play the tape.

beat_truck
04-Feb-2021, 02:27 PM

Just a pet peeve. "Vinyls" is like nails on a chalk board to people who are seriously into playing and collecting records.:annoyed:

MinionZombie
04-Feb-2021, 04:48 PM

Just a pet peeve. "Vinyls" is like nails on a chalk board to people who are seriously into playing and collecting records.:annoyed:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BlueTiredGrouse-small.gif

Beggin' your forgiveness, Sir.

;) :D

beat_truck
05-Feb-2021, 04:20 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BlueTiredGrouse-small.gif

Beggin' your forgiveness, Sir.

;) :D

Well, since you asked nicely....;)

JDP
05-Feb-2021, 09:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVQ0mhxBuf4&ab_channel=Throwback

Pinkdiamond
02-Dec-2021, 04:09 AM
I do I have my parent's vinyl albums and 45s. Listen to them a lot since they passed away.

JefferyPHale
25-Dec-2022, 04:08 PM
Big vinyl enthusiast here! Nothing like sitting with a pint/glass of whiskey and taking in every note and nuance that's lost on digital. Long live analog! One of my favorite albums to listen to is 'Live After Death' by Iron Maiden.

Neil
28-Dec-2022, 12:34 PM
I've loved to, but no room to really put a turn table and vinyl etc...

We had some building work done last year, and as part of that I even got rid of virtually all my CDs...

Big vinyl enthusiast here! Nothing like sitting with a pint/glass of whiskey and taking in every note and nuance that's lost on digital. Long live analog! One of my favorite albums to listen to is 'Live After Death' by Iron Maiden.Some of the "remastering" that's now done for CD is appalling, especially on vocals. It turns them sort of into "plastic"...

kidgloves
14-Jan-2023, 08:13 AM
Sorry. Not here. House is firmly in the smart home ecosystem so im fully digital. Music is all playlists which i find is a great way to discover new music.