PDA

View Full Version : Starship launch (SpaceX)

Neil
31-Jan-2021, 06:30 PM
SN9 attempt tomorrow (Feb 1st)... If they've already sorted the fueling issue (which caused the first attempt's landing to fail) so they nail the landing tomorrow. Mumma! :cool:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Es7VmxuXEAASF3t.jpg

EvilNed
01-Feb-2021, 05:01 AM
Looks homemade.

Neil
01-Feb-2021, 02:02 PM
Looks homemade.

Did you not see the earlier proto-types? :)

https://www.teslarati.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Starship-Mk1-103019-NASASpaceflight-bocachicagal-pad-move-3-c-1024x683.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Doh! Seems to be tomorrow (Tuesday) now...

Neil
02-Feb-2021, 09:24 PM
Well, semingly another ignition failure at landing... Onto SN10 hopefully later this month...

shootemindehead
02-Feb-2021, 11:14 PM
Reminds me of an old TV program called 'Salvage 1'. :lol:

Neil
03-Feb-2021, 08:24 AM
Reminds me of an old TV program called 'Salvage 1'. :lol:

Except that had the good fortune to go up and down remaining vertical :) No crazy spin around at the end...

kidgloves
03-Feb-2021, 09:26 AM
I've learned so much about rocketry from watching the live streams on YouTube for these launches and scrubs.
So interesting and exciting watching it develop

Neil
03-Mar-2021, 03:29 PM
Starship SN10 hopefully later today!

Ethan13
03-Mar-2021, 04:05 PM
I've learned so much about rocketry from watching the live streams on YouTube for these launches and scrubs.
So interesting and exciting watching it develop
Now the internet is full of information about rockets. Many engine and missile blueprints are available for free. It's interesting to watch the launches. But it is even more interesting to communicate with people who are interested in this. It’s a bit of a pity that many people don’t know any company other than SpaceX ...

Neil
03-Mar-2021, 04:49 PM
It’s a bit of a pity that many people don’t know any company other than SpaceX ...
True, but there's not many companies launching stuff basically every week and doing the cutting edge stuff they are ;)

Ethan13
04-Mar-2021, 11:37 AM
Rather, the point is that the fans themselves advertise for them. Many companies are developing cutting edge things. Even Britain has its own space companies that can offer interesting things like space tugs, hybrid rockets or something else. But other companies don't have such a large fan base yet.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, Starship made a successful landing. And it exploded. How many times can they afford to detonate a rocket?

Neil
04-Mar-2021, 02:12 PM
By the way, Starship made a successful landing. And it exploded. How many times can they afford to detonate a rocket?

Yeh, landed heavy, damaging it.

All these prototypes are only meant to fly only once, success or not. So it exploding really doesn't make that much difference I believe...

bassman
07-Mar-2021, 01:12 AM
It’s a bummer that this last one didn’t make it, but at this stage they’re actually expecting, and in certain areas, even hoping for failure.

Random fact: Musk recently revealed on a podcast interview that the pointed tip of the starship is actually there because of the Sasha Baron Cohen film The Dictator. He told them to make it more of a point because of a line from a comedy movie. I don’t think I ever saw that particular film, but it’s funny how Musk is like a kid with very expensive toys...

Neil
27-May-2021, 08:34 AM
Interesting/pretty...

DlkXVJQ0atE

Neil
24-Jul-2021, 02:53 PM
Monster booster static fire with nine engines soon. This should be the most powerful rocket ever to fly... Jump to 8m30s for the render of the insane landing mechanic(s)...

FZv6JYdZEeA

Neil
14-Mar-2024, 10:34 AM
Launching (hopefully) in 90mins from now...

ixZpBOxMopc

kidgloves
15-Mar-2024, 08:57 PM
I've been lucky enough to watch every launch attempt since the first hopper and this one was absolutely incredible.
The camera shots from the first stage fin cruise and the plasma on re-entry :stunned:
The advancements they make on every test is mind boggling. Elon is not of this planet. :cool:

https://youtu.be/_t3LjtIvpeU?si=oVLu1OXeyClL-W96

Neil
16-Mar-2024, 09:31 AM
I'd need to find out why the Starship seemed to lose control before/during reentry...

Neil
04-Jun-2024, 09:28 AM
Starship 4 launch pencilled in Thursday morning - June 5 at 7 a.m. CDT (8 a.m. EDT)

Neil
06-Jun-2024, 03:31 PM
That was forking epic!

Highlights:-
- The shock waves at launch from the largest/heaviest flying machine ever.
- The seemingly successful (splash) land of the booster.
- The fin(s) on the Starship getting torn apart/vapourised during reentry.
- The Starship still seemingly managing to successfully (splash) land with crippled fin(s).

kidgloves
20-Jul-2024, 12:36 PM
They're gonna try and catch the booster with the chopsticks next time.
Crazy.
Lets hope they don't blow Starbase up :D

Neil
21-Jul-2024, 11:31 AM
I literally cannot believe this can work. But then routinely seeing the Falcon 9's returning to the landing pads in tandem seems epic!