PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek The Motion Picture 4K The Director's Edition (film)

Neil
11-Apr-2022, 09:31 AM
tJmxfW35YdI

JDP
11-Apr-2022, 04:06 PM
"With new HIGHER RESOLUTION VISUAL EFFECTS"

Uh-oh! Translation: "With New CHEAP CGI GALORE ADDED TO THE ORIGINAL FILM, just like George Lucas did with the original Star Wars Trilogy".

Neil
12-Apr-2022, 10:20 AM

Uh-oh! Translation: "With New CHEAP CGI GALORE ADDED TO THE ORIGINAL FILM, just like George Lucas did with the original Star Wars Trilogy".

I suspect it's replacing aged (poor) effects with modern (better) ones...

Not just added lots of annoying aliens tripping over :)

EvilNed
12-Apr-2022, 11:26 AM

It looks like they remastered the old effects, which really have aged a bit and never been properly remastered. The three standouts I can see is the V'Ger model and two matte paintings of San Francisco that seem to have been replaced with digital alternatives.
Coincidentally I just watched this film again the other night. I like it a lot, but it is really slow at times. I'd say at least 20 minutes of it are just montages of the Enterprise and/or Kirk and/or Spock looking in awe at things. I watched the theatrical version, I know the director's cut is a bit trimmed.

Anyway, looks like something I'd enjoy.

Neil
12-Apr-2022, 11:29 AM
I like it a lot, but it is really slow at times. I'd say at least 20 minutes of it are just montages of the Enterprise and/or Kirk and/or Spock looking in awe at things.
LOL! This new version has the dock exit scene now lasting 47 minutes :)