PDA

View Full Version : Gen V (Amazon series) - The Boys spin off

Neil
15-May-2023, 12:01 PM
aDyDg04x1W0

MinionZombie
16-May-2023, 04:12 PM
Hopefully the college kids aren't fucking annoying *fingers crossed*

Otherwise looks decent, I'll be giving it a squiz. :)

Neil
12-Oct-2023, 08:42 AM
4 episodes in and quite enjoying it so far. Not as good as The Boys, but still watchable.

MinionZombie
12-Oct-2023, 12:45 PM
4 episodes in and quite enjoying it so far. Not as good as The Boys, but still watchable.

Yeah, it's certainly nowhere near as good as The Boys.

I'm enjoying it, generally speaking, but at the same time it certainly feels like it's missing something. Four episodes in and we still don't have a firm grasp on an external threat to the group. Their struggles have all been internal shit and yet more parental problems (which has become a cliché of the franchise at this point), so I'm still kinda twisting in the wind as a viewer.

It's also curious how there's so much male nudity (and so many willy-related scenes often revolving around humiliation or abuse), which is fine enough in and of itself, but at the same time the show appears to be absolutely terrified of female nudity. :rockbrow:

I'm interested to see where it goes from here, and there's neat ideas littered throughout, but it doesn't particularly feel like it's doing enough to really earn its seat at the (Vought) table.

EvilNed
14-Oct-2023, 09:59 AM
Yeah, it's certainly nowhere near as good as The Boys.

I'm enjoying it, generally speaking, but at the same time it certainly feels like it's missing something. Four episodes in and we still don't have a firm grasp on an external threat to the group. Their struggles have all been internal shit and yet more parental problems (which has become a cliché of the franchise at this point), so I'm still kinda twisting in the wind as a viewer.

It's also curious how there's so much male nudity (and so many willy-related scenes often revolving around humiliation or abuse), which is fine enough in and of itself, but at the same time the show appears to be absolutely terrified of female nudity. :rockbrow:

I'm interested to see where it goes from here, and there's neat ideas littered throughout, but it doesn't particularly feel like it's doing enough to really earn its seat at the (Vought) table.

I'm guessing this is a YA spin-off of the Boys, which means it's trying to capture a more female orientated audience. The Boys is very much catering towards a male audience.

MinionZombie
14-Oct-2023, 12:33 PM
I'm guessing this is a YA spin-off of the Boys, which means it's trying to capture a more female orientated audience. The Boys is very much catering towards a male audience.

I wouldn't really call it "YA" ... it's nothing like, say, The Hunger Games. It's very much a spin-off of The Boys, and very much of the same mentality ... it occasionally feels a bit unnecessary, in fact, or that what it's adding isn't quite enough to really warrant a whole series of its own, if that makes sense? There's nothing that really says it's trying to cater to a female audience specifically - it's just trying to cater to the audience that already watches The Boys, whomever they may be.

Neil
10-Nov-2023, 08:34 AM
Well, I quite enjoyed that!

MinionZombie
10-Nov-2023, 12:07 PM
Well, I quite enjoyed that!

Over the piece, so did I.

It's certainly not without flaws, and at times it felt a bit lacking in direction, but there was a nice 'mixing of sides' come the final episode or two, rather than simple and predictable good/evil, left/right. The classic good/evil certainly has its place, and has been swept aside in certain stories where it really should remain, but in this instance it mostly works.