PDA

View Full Version : Proper Dress Question

Tied2thetracks
31-Jul-2006, 07:49 AM
I have been told its wrong to wear short sleaves an a tie, is this true?

MaximusIncredulous
31-Jul-2006, 10:40 AM
Shaun looked fine with it.

MinionZombie
31-Jul-2006, 11:00 AM
Well, if you're attending a function (a wedding or something) it's generally better practice to wear a long sleeved shirt (because you'll be wearing a tie for said function).

However, if you're in an office for just your job and it's in the summer/it's hot, then it's do-able to wear a tie (as it's work) with a short sleeved shirt.

That's my take.

AcesandEights
31-Jul-2006, 03:55 PM
If you're a refrigerator salesman, a bible salesman or a Mormon it's okay. Otherwise, I'd steer clear.

GRMonLI
31-Jul-2006, 04:09 PM

...but he had red on him! :evil:

Tullaryx
31-Jul-2006, 04:27 PM
No such thing as ok or not ok to wear a tie with a short-sleeve button-down shirt. The thing you should be asking is whether it looks good to wear such a thing and the answer to that is never.

HLS
31-Jul-2006, 05:22 PM
Well, if you're attending a function (a wedding or something) it's generally better practice to wear a long sleeved shirt (because you'll be wearing a tie for said function).

However, if you're in an office for just your job and it's in the summer/it's hot, then it's do-able to wear a tie (as it's work) with a short sleeved shirt.

That's my take.

I agree. but wearing a short sleve under a jacket will do also.

AcesandEights
31-Jul-2006, 06:04 PM
I agree. but wearing a short sleve under a jacket will do also.

True, but if one is uncomfortable enough to resort to wearing a short sleave dress shirt under a jacket, then the lack of sleeves under a dress jacket will make minimal difference as far as comfort is concerned, and some part of that person wearing the offending garment will still know it's on them no matter how hard they trie to hide or forget it.

Shaun looked like someone who had been all but beaten down by his work-a-day life. He was cool in spite of that shirt, not because of it ;)

Chakobsa
31-Jul-2006, 10:22 PM
Short sleeved shirt and a tie? Maybe... If your name happens to be Homer.:D

MaximusIncredulous
01-Aug-2006, 04:02 AM
Shaun looked like someone who had been all but beaten down by his work-a-day life. He was cool in spite of that shirt, not because of it ;)

Perhaps, but picture Shaun wearing a long-sleeved shirt (with red on it :D) and the sleeves kept long and buttoned. Somehow his coolness would be minimized, his edge softened. He'd be more like David.

Then again Shaun would probably have been cool running through the streets butt naked.

Tied2thetracks
01-Aug-2006, 08:34 AM
Thank you all for confiming it. I sent teh wife out shopping for nice clothes for the asshole from hell brother in laws wedding. I don't want to be their but I might as well look good. I'll have her return the tie and keep the shirt.

jscott
01-Aug-2006, 04:26 PM
Sipowictz from NYPD Blue looked good in the short sleeves, but I don't think anyone else can pull off the look.

p2501
01-Aug-2006, 05:39 PM
it depends where your going. if it'sto work nah your fine.

but an fromal function, like a wedding funeral, sacrifice. it's kinda tacky.

keep in mind though. if you doing short sleeves and a tie. the tie should in some way interact with the shirt.

Short sleeved shirt and a tie? Maybe... If your name happens to be Homer.:D

i always though he was wearing a white polo shirt.