View Full Version : Movie Review: Kingdom of Heaven (copied from Amazon)

Geophyrd
02-Aug-2006, 05:22 PM
Before I review this movie, I have a couple of caveats worth caveating

First caveat: I'm into history. I've been in the SCA for more than 20 years, have fought in armor and love studying midieval period history. I am one of those guys who gets annoyed when the heraldry's wrong, let alone the history. I like it accurate. Some films get it right (Flesh and Blood, Braveheart) and others pretend (Alexander, Troy) and others don't even bother trying (Robin Hood, Price of Thieves, Army of Darkness). I have uses for all of them, but the first one holds a special place in my heart.

Second caveat: KoH came out at the same time (approx) as Troy and Alexander, both highly inferior flicks. I think its why the flick got buried. It shouldn't have been. If it came out a year earlier or a year later, this would have been a blockbuster.

The review: KoH was excellent. The story line was intriguing and rang very true. The characters are (I think) mostly fictional but there were no doubt men and women just like the characters. The battles were spellbinding and for once, they used CGI the way it should have been used: to enhance the reality not the surreality.

The story is simple. A blacksmith whose wife just dies meets his father, a noble who raped his mother years before. The man apologizes, offers to take the blacksmith with him to Jerusalem to join the crusades. Along the way, stuff happens. When he gets there, more stuff happens and when it is all over, stuff stops happening. What lies between the beginning and the end is a fascinating, enjoyable story.

The actors (Orlando Bloom, Jeremy Irons, Liam Neeson briefly and everyone else) do an excellent job. I don't know who played the king but even in his leper clothes, he was excellent. (Edit: Just found out. It was Edward Norton who was uncredited and unrecognizable, not to mention unforgettable).
I highly recommend this movie. I watched it a little grudgingly but got into it quickly.

Oh, and the heraldry was (I'm pretty sure) right for a change. King Richard's standard on his chest was the one he adopted during the crusades, the 2 Lions Rampant and Countered, not the Lion Rampant and Roaring that always gets used but was only used by him when at home. Yeah, a bit anally retentive, aren't I?

erisi236
02-Aug-2006, 05:47 PM
Heh, it kind of lost me when he said Braveheart was "accurate" :D

The heraldry might have been good but the history was off by alot :cool:

AcesandEights
02-Aug-2006, 08:25 PM
*Woh*

You think Braveheart was accurate?

I like the movie, and all, but come on...

Anyway, I let a lot go when it comes to historical bits, and I know that sometimes certain things are done for dramatic effect, so when I get bothered it's highly dependent on how the offending minutia hits me; some things bother me, some don't.

Geophyrd
02-Aug-2006, 09:23 PM
although I like the movie...

EvilNed
02-Aug-2006, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I'm with you guys. Braveheart was definetly not more accurate than either Troy or Alexander.

Infact, if he likes accuracy, yet he only says that Alexander TRIES to be historically accurate? That's some wierd ****.

Alexander was by far the most historically accurate epic we've seen. Like it or not, it's accurate down to the smallest detail. Only minor things are changed, such as combining certain events in Alexanders life into one scene.

AcesandEights
03-Aug-2006, 01:30 AM
Alexander was by far the most historically accurate epic we've seen. Like it or not, it's accurate down to the smallest detail. Only minor things are changed, such as combining certain events in Alexanders life into one scene.

Thanks for that info. I had heard differently regarding the historical data in Alexander, but now I'll actually give it a chance with a bit more of an open mind.

EvilNed
03-Aug-2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks for that info. I had heard differently regarding the historical data in Alexander, but now I'll actually give it a chance with a bit more of an open mind.

I love it. Infact, it's one of my favourite movies of all time. But, remember, I'm awfully biased towards Alexander the Great as well.

Before you watch the film, I think you should read some things about him. Read his story. If you find him an interesting character, watch the film. If not, watch it if you want to see a different kind of movie that doesn't follow the same old movie plot points. There is no "villain", there is no "point of no return", and all that.

But the battle scenes, of which there are two, are definetly the greatest battle scenes ever. And the historical detail is stunning.

AcesandEights
03-Aug-2006, 03:12 PM
No problem, EvilNed. I'm pretty familiar with Alexander's back story. You're one of the few people who I know who've seen it who had something positive to say about it, so I'm glad for that.

I'll let you know what I think when I catch it.