PDA

View Full Version : Just a off the wall thought

Dommm
04-Aug-2006, 03:08 PM
Just a thought dont know if anyone has asked this before (why would they), but what do you all think that the Ghostbusters would have done during a zombie outbreak like in GARs universe. I mean they arnt Ghosts but they are undead.

bassman
04-Aug-2006, 03:12 PM
:D

It's great for a huge Ghostbusters fan like myself to see other fans around. Especially when it's not on a GB board.:D

Actually....seems like I remember an episode of "The REAL Ghostbusters" where they have to tackle the problem of "the undead", as they called them. I'll look into that. It may have been one of my comics, though.

Technically, I think you could say that there is a zombie in the first "Ghostbusters" film. During the "I believe it's magic" music montage(after Walter Peck has the containment unit shut down), a man get's into a cab and the driver looks more like a rotting corpse rather than a ghost.

Edit: There also used to be a show at Universal Studios where the Ghostbusters took on Beetlejuice. That's kind of like taking on a zombie, I guess.:confused: It took place on the "streets of New York" portion of the park, right outside of the "Ghostbusters Spooktacular" ride(the building that looked like the firehouse) and on the stairs of the NY Public Library.

Beetlejuice would start destroying things and the Ghostbusters would come riding around the corner in the Ecto-1. It was great for the kids(I was one of them). I have pictures of it all somewhere....it's funny to look back on now.

The "Ghostbusters Spooktacular" was pretty cool. It was basically the end of the first film acted out on stage with a few extra things thrown into the mix. It had great SFX including the proton streams, a holographic slimer, and much more. Anyone else ever catch that "ride"?

radiokill
04-Aug-2006, 03:35 PM
i don't know bout the zombies....

but the ghostbusters helped me learn that people don't like to be woke up.

(it's a been a while since i was into ghostbusters [do they have any dvds out yet?] so i'm no longer familiar with the terminology)

i had the backpack/photon plasma laser toy for the longest time and i always asked my mother for the storage unit that the ghosts were sucked or zapped into. We were getting ready to go to a city about an hour's drive that was the only place to buy the toys (toys r us) and my mom finally said i could get the storage unit. I was about 7 and running around the house playing with the backpack/photon plasma gun which made a loud rattle when you pulled the trigger. I father had just ended a graveyard shift and was sleeping in the recliner. He mumbled for me to stop playing and I went outside to play. I forgot about ten minutes later and went back in pulling the trigger. My father leaned up grabbed the toy and snapped it in half snarling, "told you to stop, damn it!". I still got the storage unit thingy, but my obsession with ghostbusters soon died after that since the gun was never replaced. I also think I may have been mildly traumatized.:D

bassman
04-Aug-2006, 04:01 PM
i don't know bout the zombies....

but the ghostbusters helped me learn that people don't like to be woke up.

(it's a been a while since i was into ghostbusters [do they have any dvds out yet?] so i'm no longer familiar with the terminology)

i had the backpack/photon plasma laser toy for the longest time and i always asked my mother for the storage unit that the ghosts were sucked or zapped into. We were getting ready to go to a city about an hour's drive that was the only place to buy the toys (toys r us) and my mom finally said i could get the storage unit. I was about 7 and running around the house playing with the backpack/photon plasma gun which made a loud rattle when you pulled the trigger. I father had just ended a graveyard shift and was sleeping in the recliner. He mumbled for me to stop playing and I went outside to play. I forgot about ten minutes later and went back in pulling the trigger. My father leaned up grabbed the toy and snapped it in half snarling, "told you to stop, damn it!". I still got the storage unit thingy, but my obsession with ghostbusters soon died after that since the gun was never replaced. I also think I may have been mildly traumatized.:D

Yes, there are two different dvds for each film. In fact, "Ghostbusters" was close to one of the first rounds of DVDs released by Sony Entertainment when DVDs were coming into play.

There are many different terms for the pack that you are talking about(all of which are stated in the films). Proton Pack, Partical Thrower, Nuclear Excellerator, and Positron Collider.

The "storage unit" as you called it was simply "The Ghost Trap". Technically, the "Storage Unit" is the large, red containment unit in the basement of the firehouse. You know....shut down by d*ickless.:p

Yeah....I'm a "Ghostbusters" nerd.:cool:

radiokill
04-Aug-2006, 04:10 PM
i remember calling it the proton pack and the ghost trap now. thanks, i almost lost those brain wrinkles!

p2501
04-Aug-2006, 05:01 PM
crossed the streams.

bassman
04-Aug-2006, 05:50 PM
crossed the streams.

"You said crossing the streams was bad. You're going to endanger us. You're going to endanger our client....the nice woman that paid us in advance before she turned into a dog..."

The jokes in that film never get old....

Adrenochrome
04-Aug-2006, 05:58 PM
"You said crossing the streams was bad. You're going to endanger us. You're going to endanger our client....the nice woman that paid us in advance before she turned into a dog..."

The jokes in that film never get old....
Ya know.....I saw this flick in the theater when it first came out...I laughed at a few jokes.....but, then.....
The scene where "they're not supposed to think of anything"......you know it....the look on Dan's face when he mentions the Stay Puffed Marshmellow man,....his explanation....CLASSIC COMEDY.....that was the second time I cried from laughing in a theater; the first was Mr. Creosote (Terry Jones) in The Meaning of Life.

bassman
04-Aug-2006, 06:00 PM
Ya know.....I saw this flick in the theater when it first came out...I laughed at a few jokes.....but, then.....
The scene where "they're not supposed to think of anything"......you know it....the look on Dan's face when he mentions the Stay Puffed Marshmellow man,....his explanation....CLASSIC COMEDY.....that was the second time I cried from laughing in a theater; the first was Mr. Creosote (Terry Jones) in The Meaning of Life.

Yeah....that's a great scene. "What did you do, RAY?".

I laugh just about the entire way through the film. Bill Murray was at the top of his game. He doesn't even have to say anything and his facial expressions crack me up.

The beginning of the film in the basement of the library....comedic genious.

darth los
04-Aug-2006, 08:16 PM
From start to finish, the scene in the hotel where they're hunting down slimer is pure gold. What happened to part two though? They really fell off with that movie. :barf: What do you guys think about GB2?

radiokill
04-Aug-2006, 08:24 PM
GB2 was still good, but it was lil' gay

bassman
04-Aug-2006, 09:15 PM
GB2 was still good, but it was lil' gay

I wouldn't call it "Gay".....but it definitely wasn't as good as the original. It's still a very entertaining and funny film in it's own right.

I can tell you the two major things that hurt "Ghostbusters II":

1) "The REAL Ghostbusters". This popular cartoon premiered in 1986(two years after the original film) and was a huge success. Soon children all over the World were into the Ghostbusters and for very different reasons that what made the original film such a huge hit. This is what harmed the sequel.

"Ghostbusters II" tried pleasing the children and the adults at the same time and this ended up hurting the overall feel of the movie and it's comedy. Just compare the two....the first is much more adult oriented, while the sequel cuts back on some of the mature humor. I know it's minor, but also note that the curse words have been cut down to about two throughout the entire film while the original had several...."d*ckless", "sh*t", "dammit", Penis jokes, etc.

I know, I know....this kind of stuff doesn't make or break a film but if you've seen the films as many times as I have, you would understand.:p Just think about it.

2) The second thing that hurt the sequel was(as much as I hate to say it) Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis. I say this because they are the writers of both films and with the sequel, they virtually took the original film and twisted some minor details.

"Ghostbusters II" is basically the first film all over again. Compare the two and you can see. Dana Barrett being the center of it all, Having to start the business in the beginning(Starting it back in GBII's case), Large object walking the streets at the end, etc.

I have read a few articles where Dan Aykroyd actually admits to this problem, but at the same time says he's equally proud of that film. After all...why shouldn't he be? It's good entertainment.

I'm a frequent visitor to a few Ghostbusters message boards/websites (gbcentral.com, gbprops.com, protoncharging.com - Like I said, I've been a huge fan my entire life) and there are huge fans there that actually prefer the sequel over the original.

So I guess it's all opinion, but to me, the original is king with "Ghostbusters II" being a worthy sequel but just couldn't quite capture the spirit and heart of the original film.

Dommm
07-Aug-2006, 10:06 AM
I have to say that that when I forst saw both movies I enjoyed the sequal far more, but as I have grown older I began to enjoy the adult humour more. So as to which one I like I Truely cannot say mmmm... just my thoughts that dont make any cohearant sense.

As to the ghostbusters, I would love to see a zombie with a proton pack.

MinionZombie
07-Aug-2006, 10:27 AM
GB, GB2 and The Real Ghostbusters ALL rock my cock.

The Real Ghostbusters was no doubt my introduction to the whole thing, hardly surprising though as I was just born when the first movie came out, so it would be a mix of TRGB and the original GB being shown on TV for the first time that would have gotten me into the whole thing.

I thought GB2 was wicked, loads of fun and I personally felt it fitted in well with the first movie, nice to see the characters a few years down the track you know? I didn't notice any of the "problems" until you mentioned them, but even still, they don't affect the flick for me.

I remember I got a Proton Pack at Christmas once, the Xmas that it was THE toy to get your kid. My Dad managed to get one of the last ones at some Toys R Us somewhere by chance after being tipped off that a new shipment was in. :cool: Wish I still had it. Some of my GB stuff has long since gone, to either the bin (I didn't bin the stuff, that's for sure!) or to charity shops, but I've still got some of the stuff (Ecto 1 and a load of action figures I know for sure).

I also had the trap (which glowed in the dark), complete with the foot pump and everything. Obviously I had the GB Fire Station as well, that was a great addition to the collection ... sadly I don't have it anymore...

Dommm
07-Aug-2006, 04:11 PM
Can you catch a zombie in a ghjost buster trap??

I wander

bassman
07-Aug-2006, 04:29 PM
Can you catch a zombie in a ghjost buster trap??

I wander

Probably not because zombie are stil living, physical flesh. The whole "theory" that the Ghostbusters could catch and contain a ghost was because they found a way to harness their "ectoplasm". A "residue", if you will, that the body leaves behind and makes up the spook, specter, or in Slimer's case - "a class five full-roaming vapor....a real nasty one, too".:D

HLS
07-Aug-2006, 07:57 PM
They sure do not make good comedy like that anymore. Bill Murry is a classic. I love his style. I think they will first run and hide and barracade them selves in a library then I am sure they would brainstorm a comical solution to the zombie plague and save the world!:o

bassman
07-Aug-2006, 08:49 PM
Well, I just thought of something. Even though the Ghostbusters may not be able to use proton packs to hold a zombie and then use the trap/containment unit to hold it.......the proton pack is still a f'n nuclear accelerator!

You could take off/explode/vaporize alot of zombie heads with nuclear power, you know. So I guess the Ghostbusters have just the right tools for the job.:cool:

garjo
07-Aug-2006, 10:10 PM
What if the Staypuff Marshmallow Man got bit. He would be a 20 story Zombie..OOOOOOOOO I love it.

Danny
07-Aug-2006, 10:33 PM
Probably not because zombie are stil living, physical flesh. The whole "theory" that the Ghostbusters could catch and contain a ghost was because they found a way to harness their "ectoplasm". A "residue", if you will, that the body leaves behind and makes up the spook, specter, or in Slimer's case - "a class five full-roaming vapor....a real nasty one, too".:D

*looks left, then right*

really?, no-one else?, ...alright.

neeeeerrrrrrddddddd!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

well i loved ghostbusters as a kid, like i think every kid did, and i was one of those rare people who liked extreme ghostbusters, but still thought the name was ****.
i wanted for like 3 consecutive christmases the ecto-1 ,y know the white van but i never got it, then one day i unwrap a birthday present off my nan and grandad and i see its ghost busters, get excited and its like "THE ECTO-3" or some such crap it was a yellow car that sorta unfolded like a crash dummy toy and had this green monster inside, needless to say as a kid i was gutted and remember saying "stuff this im off to watch transformers", i didnt like ghostbusters that mutch after that.:lol:

Maitreya
07-Aug-2006, 11:07 PM
Well, they could handle it quite easily, they'd use the reverse polarity slime on the zombies and turn them all into happy, vegetarian ghouls.

Dommm
08-Aug-2006, 09:58 AM
Well, they could handle it quite easily, they'd use the reverse polarity slime on the zombies and turn them all into happy, vegetarian ghouls.

vegetarian ghouls, beware the zombie artichoke

bassman
08-Aug-2006, 01:17 PM
*looks left, then right*

really?, no-one else?, ...alright.

neeeeerrrrrrddddddd!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're so cool. Why can't I be as cool as you? Now where is that smiley that can give you the bird?.....we need one.

radiokill
08-Aug-2006, 01:38 PM
I remember I got a Proton Pack at Christmas once, the Xmas that it was THE toy to get your kid. My Dad managed to get one of the last ones at some Toys R Us somewhere by chance after being tipped off that a new shipment was in. Wish I still had it. Some of my GB stuff has long since gone, to either the bin (I didn't bin the stuff, that's for sure!) or to charity shops, but I've still got some of the stuff (Ecto 1 and a load of action figures I know for sure).

I also had the trap (which glowed in the dark), complete with the foot pump and everything. Obviously I had the GB Fire Station as well, that was a great addition to the collection ... sadly I don't have it anymore...

yeah, I've still got my ecto-1, ecto-3, fire station, ray, winston, egon, slimer, the cop who revealed his skeleton, garbage man who put can on head and became slimy fly-like thing, proton pack (cord cut, jagged edges on gun), glow-in-the-dark ghost trap....but my ecto-1 and fire station is missing some things (ie. doors, fins, i think i remember a ghost storage unit with the fire station but i haven't seen that in years). :)

I wouldn't call it "Gay".....but it definitely wasn't as good as the original. It's still a very entertaining and funny film in it's own right.

I can tell you the two major things that hurt "Ghostbusters II":

1) "The REAL Ghostbusters". This popular cartoon premiered in 1986(two years after the original film) and was a huge success. Soon children all over the World were into the Ghostbusters and for very different reasons that what made the original film such a huge hit. This is what harmed the sequel.

"Ghostbusters II" tried pleasing the children and the adults at the same time and this ended up hurting the overall feel of the movie and it's comedy. Just compare the two....the first is much more adult oriented, while the sequel cuts back on some of the mature humor. I know it's minor, but also note that the curse words have been cut down to about two throughout the entire film while the original had several...."d*ckless", "sh*t", "dammit", Penis jokes, etc.

I know, I know....this kind of stuff doesn't make or break a film but if you've seen the films as many times as I have, you would understand.:p Just think about it.

2) The second thing that hurt the sequel was(as much as I hate to say it) Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis. I say this because they are the writers of both films and with the sequel, they virtually took the original film and twisted some minor details.

"Ghostbusters II" is basically the first film all over again. Compare the two and you can see. Dana Barrett being the center of it all, Having to start the business in the beginning(Starting it back in GBII's case), Large object walking the streets at the end, etc.

I have read a few articles where Dan Aykroyd actually admits to this problem, but at the same time says he's equally proud of that film. After all...why shouldn't he be? It's good entertainment.

I'm a frequent visitor to a few Ghostbusters message boards/websites (gbcentral.com, gbprops.com, protoncharging.com - Like I said, I've been a huge fan my entire life) and there are huge fans there that actually prefer the sequel over the original.

So I guess it's all opinion, but to me, the original is king with "Ghostbusters II" being a worthy sequel but just couldn't quite capture the spirit and heart of the original film.

it took me a while to notice that....I remember when I younger flipping through the channels and I'd stop on a channel playing a ghost busters it would take me a while to figure if it was the first one or the sequel.

anyone remember those light blue t-shirts w/ the GB logo when GBII came out. Everyone in my family had one, adults and kids. Where did those come from? Did they give them away at jack and the box or the theatre or sell them at walmart. I've been wanting one of those for a while. I think all of our was thrown away.

Cody
08-Aug-2006, 02:40 PM
this forum has had a burst of ghostbusters lately..

i think they couldnt really do much except to fight / hide like the rest of us

bassman
08-Aug-2006, 02:48 PM
yeah, I've still got my ecto-1, ecto-3, fire station, ray, winston, egon, slimer, the cop who revealed his skeleton, garbage man who put can on head and became slimy fly-like thing, proton pack (cord cut, jagged edges on gun), glow-in-the-dark ghost trap....but my ecto-1 and fire station is missing some things (ie. doors, fins, i think i remember a ghost storage unit with the fire station but i haven't seen that in years). :)

it took me a while to notice that....I remember when I younger flipping through the channels and I'd stop on a channel playing a ghost busters it would take me a while to figure if it was the first one or the sequel.

anyone remember those light blue t-shirts w/ the GB logo when GBII came out. Everyone in my family had one, adults and kids. Where did those come from? Did they give them away at jack and the box or the theatre or sell them at walmart. I've been wanting one of those for a while. I think all of our was thrown away.

They were given out during the filming of the original film as promotion(You can see a guy waving one in the air during the ending credits) and then also gave out some with the "peace" logo for "Ghostbusters II".

Cool little peice of trivia: If you watch the first film when the Ghostbusters are running down the streets(before Winston joins the crew) during the montage sequence....the public's reaction is real. Ivan Reitman says that this was the first thing shot for the film and he simply told the three actors to "run from this point, to this point and we'll film". They weren't extras.

radiokill
08-Aug-2006, 02:54 PM
They were given out during the filming of the original film as promotion(You can see a guy waving one in the air during the ending credits) and then also gave out some with the "peace" logo for "Ghostbusters II".

Cool little peice of trivia: If you watch the first film when the Ghostbusters are running down the streets(before Winston joins the crew) during the montage sequence....the public's reaction is real. Ivan Reitman says that this was the first thing shot for the film and he simply told the three actors to "run from this point, to this point and we'll film". They weren't extras.

that's funny:lol:

AssassinFromHell
08-Aug-2006, 03:03 PM

lol, that's funny. I can see it now. A little kid pointing and saying "Hey, look mommy, its the village people with funny backpacks". :D

Anyone remember the Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon? I only remember bits of certain episodes, but it wasn't an overly bad show. A gimpy ghostbuster in a wheel-chair. That was awesome.

bassman
08-Aug-2006, 04:12 PM
lol, that's funny. I can see it now. A little kid pointing and saying "Hey, look mommy, its the village people with funny backpacks". :D

Anyone remember the Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon? I only remember bits of certain episodes, but it wasn't an overly bad show. A gimpy ghostbuster in a wheel-chair. That was awesome.

I don't claim "Extreme Ghostbusters". It was just politically correct crap and a horrible attempt at bringing the franchise back. They should've just started "The REAL Ghostbusters" up again.

There was one episode that was cool, though. I believe it was called "Ghostbusters Come Home" and in it, the other Ghostbusters come back to visit and suit up with their old packs to help out the politically correct crew. Of course Spengler was always on "Extreme", though.....With a pony tail:rolleyes: