PDA

View Full Version : Not quite zombies...

deadwrtr
08-Aug-2006, 02:03 PM
but a darned good movie nonetheless. SEVERED: Forest of the Dead is a film by Carl Bessai and Screen Media Films. Here's a synopsis:
A group of young environmental activists become infected ravenous unstoppable zombies when a forestry company's genetic experimentation goes disastrously wrong. Sheer terror can't pump enough adrenaline through these bodies to help them out of this remote forest in this gruesome tale of horror. Severed stands heads (and other body parts) above the rest!

Okay, the description doesn't do this smart little film justice. I was a little wary of the claims this film (especially since the narrative doesn't make a whole lot of sense.) The film stars Paul Campbell, who, some of you may remember, played Billy in Battlestar Galactica (the new episodes) a wide eyed, naive young lad, son of the man who owns the logging company. What he finds when he arrives at the site is horrifying. Once the film starts moving, it doesn't stop.

Now, I had a hard time trying to figure out whether these creatures were zombies or not. They seemed to follow after Danny Boyle's zombies from "28 Days Later" what with the nearly instant transformation from human to drooling, jaundice skinned flesh craving ghouls, yet they shambled, quite convincingly, much like Romero's walking dead.

The makeup was excellent, plenty of blood and gore, as well as death by chainsaw, axe and club, ala Evil Dead. There were so many comparisons to other movies, I don't know where to start. Resident Evil, Evil Dead, Romero's movies, Friday the 13th. There was a small segment that seemed to stretch on forever that smacked of Apocalypse Now, culminating in a familiar scene that will be instantly recognizable to everyone (Miguel, anyone?).

Zombies? You'll have to decide. Headshots took them down, but so did shots to the torso. They had a singlemindedness when it came to eating, just as Romero's dead, yet I don't think they were dead, necessarily. It's too easy to get caught up in the semantics, so just try to enjoy the film for what it is.

There were several spots where I actually jumped, and that doesn't happen often. I cheered as I watched the silly environmentalists who chained themselves to tree's shout for help as the dead/infected advanced.

This film has it's problems, but it's an excellent attempt at zombie horror. The remote locale, the shambling pseudo corpses, the sense of hopelessness all add up to an excellent ride.

radiokill
08-Aug-2006, 02:11 PM
sounds interesting.....common at blockbuster?

deadwrtr
08-Aug-2006, 02:12 PM
This shoulda been in the Dead Discussion forum...

sounds interesting.....common at blockbuster?

yep... that's where I rented it. It's worth the $3.49

Adrenochrome
08-Aug-2006, 02:20 PM
What a coincidence! I just rented this thing last night.....haven't watched it yet, tho.

DjfunkmasterG
08-Aug-2006, 02:38 PM
It is in my queue of film at BB online.

zombiegirl
08-Aug-2006, 03:40 PM
I almost bought this the other day at walmart but wasn't sure. The last time I bought a zombie flick without watching it was contaguim. :barf:
I may reconsider.

AcesandEights
08-Aug-2006, 04:16 PM
S'funny, I saw an add for this on Movies on Demand lastnight when I went to turn off my TV, it definitely piqued my curiosity.

Anyone else see this film?

Debbieangel
08-Aug-2006, 05:39 PM
Sounds like a good one...I have probs renting zombie movies the video store I rent from dont have alot of movies so I have to buy them. Now that sucks! But, I will go looking for it! Thanks for the heads up about the movie!

Adrenochrome
08-Aug-2006, 05:51 PM
Sounds like a good one...I have probs renting zombie movies the video store I rent from dont have alot of movies so I have to buy them. Now that sucks! But, I will go looking for it! Thanks for the heads up about the movie!
try signing up for Blockbuster Online rentals....that's where my gal and I rent most of our movies. They have a pretty nice selection....although,....I've been trying to find a movie called Niagra Niagra for a few years now and NOBODY seems to have it!!!! (it's a GREAT Robin Tuney/Henry Thomas movie about a girl with Tourette's syndrome on the hunt for a "Black Barbie Make-up Head")

ADDED: after watching SEVERED: Forest of the Dead

This is why I cannot appreciate the recent remakes of older zombie movies. SEVERED is very enjoyable with a decent, original plot. (and nobody had to steal the name of an older movie to make it enjoyable!!)
deadwrtr is right on spot with the comparisons, so no need to repeat all that.
I'm glad I picked it up and gave it a try.....WELL worth watching!

Debbieangel
09-Aug-2006, 01:40 AM
This shoulda been in the Dead Discussion forum...

yep... that's where I rented it. It's worth the $3.49

I picked up "Servered" at the video store today...I hope it is good as you said. I cant believe my video store had it? I also picked up a non zombie movie called "Death Tunnel" its about the Waverly Sanitorium ...it was a place they put people with tuberculosis years ago, if you watch "Ghost Hunters" last season they went there to debunk it.It came out they said it definitely had paranormal happenings there. Also there was a special about the Sanitorium the film company that filmed there said there were freaky "happenings" while they were filming. I havent watched either one of these movies I just hope they are good as they look!!! Thanks for the heads up on "Servered".

AcesandEights
05-Sep-2006, 09:10 AM
I just finsihed watching it (and it's only 5 am here, as i post this). Great film. I mean, for what it is, it's a great film. I was hoping for a bit more during the last 15 minutes, but that's just the hollywood moviegoer in me. They definitely took a less is more approach with the film, very minimalist score and some decent character development a mong the primaries. I'm pleased with it.

Thanks for posting about it deadwrtr, and thank you, Andreno, for seconding it!