PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have eaten?

Debbieangel
11-Aug-2006, 10:33 PM
have eaten "fried green tomatoes"?
Hey you guys from the UK and USA friends too have you ever heard of fried green tomatoes?
It is true you can fry green tomatoes and I know my Southern friends know about them!
I am asking cause of different cultures eat different things...if you like to eat some different kind of food please tell me about it?

Zombie-A-GoGo
11-Aug-2006, 11:02 PM
I was born in Georgia, but spent little time in the south. My mother, on the other hand, despite her being a wacky Canadian, spent enough time there to pick up all kinds of fun things. :) Fried green tomatoes were certainly a breakfast staple, as were grits. **mmmm, grits**

My dad used to eat pig's feet. :barf:

I'm big into various ethnic foods--Asian, Indian, Ethiopian, some Mexican. I eat a tremendous amount of garlic. Like...a lot. When most people throw in a clove, I go for the whole head.

Since I'm not a meat eater, I guess I don't have too many interesting, or exciting food stories--most of them have to do with seeing who can eat the most disgusting thing, so I'll leave that for the others. :D

creepntom
11-Aug-2006, 11:07 PM
i misread the title, i thought it said "how many of you have been eaten?"

whoops :D :elol:

Debbieangel
12-Aug-2006, 01:23 AM
Another favorite around this neck of the woods is "Funnelcakes". Ever hear of those?

MapMan
12-Aug-2006, 01:27 AM
Fried green tomatoes...delicious.....grits...delicious.

zombiegirl
12-Aug-2006, 02:15 AM
Funnel cakes are great but I really don't care for fried tomatoes. Around here we do BBQ a lot.
Also have you ever tried indian fry bread? Very yummy. :)

Debbieangel
12-Aug-2006, 02:24 AM
jeez, you almost sound like a coal cracker... next you'll be talking about bleenies and boilo
:D
ok what is a coal cracker and bleenies and boilo..lol I have no idea what they are?

Funnel cakes are great but I really don't care for fried tomatoes. Around here we do BBQ a lot.
indian fry bread ...sounds yummie..how is that made?

Svengoolie
12-Aug-2006, 02:39 AM
Hows about any of the following:

1. Pizza Puffs
2. Gyros
3. Saganaki
4. Maxwell Street-style hot-dogs
5. Combos--the sandwich, not the cheese/pretzel thing.

Anyone?:D

chukrok
12-Aug-2006, 03:21 AM
Gyros rock. I love 'em. How about Vietnamese Pork in a Clay Pot (they also have catfish cooked that way)? Oh yeah, funnel cakes are very tasty. Gimme one of those artery-cloggers any day.

HLS
12-Aug-2006, 03:32 AM

Indian bread is sooo good. here in lawrence we have an Indian college and they have pow wows events(native dancing) and they have stands that the best bread ever! I always wanted to try fried green tomatoes. Here in kansas city we have deep fried pickle chips. We also have biscuits with sausage gravy. ummmmm i sent Cykotic a photo of biscuits and gravy once and he thought it was gross...lmao! Back in pittsburgh PA we had what we called city chicken. From what i remember it was a lot like chicken croquets.

slickwilly13
12-Aug-2006, 03:37 AM
I eat fried green tomatoes as often as I can. Which isn't as often as I like. I batter them in corn meal and fry with peanut oil.

2Tall2Slow2
12-Aug-2006, 04:37 AM
Im from the south (Georgia originally), but for the life of me, I cant understand why people eat some of the things they eat (I mean no offense to those of you here who actcually eat these things):

Fried green tomatoes (just the word "tomato" makes me gag):barf:

grits (Mmmm.....sand with butter)

okra (wha??? its like a sliced stalk of celery with small pumpkin seeds in it)

pigs feet (maybe they taste good, but hey, sewer rat may taste like apple pie, but I wouldnt know 'cause I wouldnt eat the filthy mother****ers):rockbrow:

Of course, I dont claim to eat only "normal" foods. As a southerner, I like boiled peanuts...dont know why..I just do. My wife also tells me that Im a little off because I like black olives, and will even eat them right out of the can.

general tbag
12-Aug-2006, 06:39 AM
yea funnels cakes are good, but i have a hard time forking 5 bucks for some pancake batter and sugar, really that all it is.

fry bread it pretty good, but i rather bake it over a open fire with some fresh fish. them are some good eats. still twitching fish in the pan. if you like fry bread, try pemican. if you can also find some smoked fish, that really good to if done right.

of course the same ole stuff , squid, oysters,shark .

also wild game is good, bear jerky, deer, moose- btw it beats out beef by along shot-, bison, rattlesnake, muskrat, wild rabbits, wild turkeys, tried beaver, no pun intended , but just to gamey of a taste. caribou, and yes i even tried dog soup once. of course wasnt told till after i ate it.

love to try alligator and kangaroo, and still wanna go for a wild boar in the south.

also anyone ever have prarie/rocky mountains oysters.....

Debbieangel
12-Aug-2006, 04:46 PM
Hows about any of the following:

1. Pizza Puffs
2. Gyros
3. Saganaki
4. Maxwell Street-style hot-dogs
5. Combos--the sandwich, not the cheese/pretzel thing.

Anyone?:D

Pizza Puffs sounds good
Gyros I have had those from pizza place..really good

yea funnels cakes are good, but i have a hard time forking 5 bucks for some pancake batter and sugar, really that all it is.

fry bread it pretty good, but i rather bake it over a open fire with some fresh fish. them are some good eats. still twitching fish in the pan. if you like fry bread, try pemican. if you can also find some smoked fish, that really good to if done right.

of course the same ole stuff , squid, oysters,shark .

also wild game is good, bear jerky, deer, moose- btw it beats out beef by along shot-, bison, rattlesnake, muskrat, wild rabbits, wild turkeys, tried beaver, no pun intended , but just to gamey of a taste. caribou, and yes i even tried dog soup once. of course wasnt told till after i ate it.

love to try alligator and kangaroo, and still wanna go for a wild boar in the south.

also anyone ever have prarie/rocky mountains oysters.....

I dont fork over $5.00 for funnel cakes nooo way...I make them myself....really good I get alot of funnel cakes out of a doubled batter.

coma
12-Aug-2006, 05:00 PM
moose- btw it beats out beef by along shot-

I had moose at a BBQ in Vermont a few years ago. It was the only game I evr had and I was sketched out before eating it, but damn it was really good.
Raw Clams are pretty wierd. Were I grew up there used to be a lot of Clammers, so they were around at alot of BBqs.
Never saw or had a funnel cake. I've only seen it on tv, usually its something "redecks" are eating, so they use it to emphasize redneckery like a trailer.
Gyros are good, but dont eat one before a date.
I thought sausage gravy for breakfast was wierd. I satyed in FLA for a while when I was 19 ans some of the beakfast food freaked me out, like Brains and eggs.

Deep fried pickle chips?!?!?! My stomach hurts just thinking about it. Sometimes stuff thats seems wierd turns out to be really good, Like moose.
Had snail ravioli at a french restaurant once. Dont know why I got it, but it was pretty good.
My girlfriens likes frog. Says it tastes like chicken:rolleyes:

I'll eat most anyhting. I'll look and say "Ugh, thats nasty" then "Let me try that"

My wife also tells me that Im a little off because I like black olives, and will even eat them right out of the can.
Nothing wierd about that, far as I am concerned.

Danny
12-Aug-2006, 07:12 PM
Another favorite around this neck of the woods is "Funnelcakes". Ever hear of those?

yeah but i prefer eckles cakes, the coal miners cake of choice,:D

MikePizzoff
13-Aug-2006, 12:56 PM
Never had friend green tomatos. Never even seen Fried Green Tomatos (Kathy Bates).

moose- btw it beats out beef by along shot

I've eaten a goat that people raised and sacrificed on 6/6/06. Man, that was delicious meat.

Danny
13-Aug-2006, 04:06 PM
I've eaten a goat that people raised and sacrificed on 6/6/06. Man, that was delicious meat.

how very emo :lol:

just kidding i know thats the ultimte offence nowadays:lol:

DeadJonas190
15-Aug-2006, 04:36 AM
I have had them and they are pretty good.