PDA

View Full Version : Is there ANY way to burn AVI's to DVD???

MikePizzoff
15-Aug-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm really sick of having to convert AVI's to MPEG before burning a DVD. It's so time and hard-drive consuming. Does anybody know if there is any program that avoids this nuisance?

I really don't think there is... but it's worth a shot.

axlish
15-Aug-2006, 11:02 PM
Any application that you would use to convert to DVD would have to create a file that is MPEG2 DVD complaint, so you are screwed no matter what.

twistbud
16-Aug-2006, 01:55 AM
DVD Santa or Nero 7

coma
16-Aug-2006, 03:37 AM
ConvertXtoDVD
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/
You are definately NOT screwed.
This app is the best , no learning curve (as in very lille) to quality converter* a good as you like), imo

axlish
16-Aug-2006, 03:57 AM
Guys, he is asking can he burn an AVI file straight to DVD. The answer is NO! Whatever program you use, it'll create an MPEG2 DVD compliant file, period.

Neil
16-Aug-2006, 10:55 AM
Guys, he is asking can he burn an AVI file straight to DVD. The answer is NO! Whatever program you use, it'll create an MPEG2 DVD compliant file, period.

He's not really clear... Many programs will seemlessly convert/burn the AVI to a DVD. But all of them (as you say) will go through the possibly lengthy process of mpeg'ing them.

Of course, with my DivX compliant DVD player, I just copy the files straight onto a DVDRW (unconverted) and watch them like that! It's fab! Download for example half a dozen episodes of Lost onto one DVD, and just watch them in their original format on my TV :)

LoSTBoY
16-Aug-2006, 11:11 AM
I concur with coma on ConvertToDVD.

I use it to convert Xvid codec avi movies into DVD format. They have worked on every DVD player I've used.

You might have to 'purchase' it from somewhere though. :shifty:

If you are just wanting to burn your avi files to a DVD, get nero.

Neil
16-Aug-2006, 12:55 PM
And don't forget these DVD players that can play DivX, XVid, AVI and MPG etc are not very expensive! Here in the UK you can get them for as little as £25!

p2501
16-Aug-2006, 01:04 PM
Of course, with my DivX compliant DVD player, I just copy the files straight onto a DVDRW (unconverted) and watch them like that! It's fab! Download for example half a dozen episodes of Lost onto one DVD, and just watch them in their original format on my TV :)

Holy ****e, your a genius!

Off to ebay to find that region free DVD player i was looking at........

MikePizzoff
16-Aug-2006, 04:38 PM
I have Nero and I can't just drop AVI files into it. Whenever I try to burn a DVD I can only use the DVD format files bup, vob, and ifo.

Thanks, though.

BUTCHYPIE
21-Aug-2006, 09:11 PM
And don't forget these DVD players that can play DivX, XVid, AVI and MPG etc are not very expensive! Here in the UK you can get them for as little as £25!

I second the idea of buying a DIVX/XVID player.

I have the the LG DR1-F9H -- it burns to anything and reads just about anything, including DIVX and XVID. You can get a player-only with the same chipset for about $50. The recorder is $199.

Many U.S. sold players have region-free hacks, but that subject is for another forum...

Another possible solution, which is probably too obvious to mention: I sometimes just hook my laptop (MacBook Pro) directly to my TV via the S-Video and Mini-plug audio out. Works great. Don't even have to burn a CD or DVD of the DIVX file.

My favorite site for transcoding info, if anyone is interested:
http://www.videohelp.com

-

DjfunkmasterG
21-Aug-2006, 09:44 PM
You need to use Nero Visio Express to burn the AVI into a Viewable DVD file. Just open Nero Vision Express choose the AVI file then Click make DVD or burn or whatever. It takes about an hour depending on your PC specs

LoSTBoY
22-Aug-2006, 01:13 AM
1. Update your nero.

2. Click the new shortcut "Nero express"

3. Select 'New Data DVD" from the 'Data' tab..

4. If you don't know what to do from here then you shouldn't be burning DVD's.