PDA

View Full Version : Alien 3...

Maitreya
15-Aug-2006, 11:10 PM
I was just thinking about it, and it really bugs me. I realize this movie is pretty bad, at least to me, but it's still part of one of my favorite movie series regardless.

I mean, I've always figured it's one of those retarded impossibilities that hollywood used to cash in on a series, but I was wondering if anybody could think of some sort of explanation as to how the **** a couple of eggs managed to get on the Sulaco, despite the queen's egg sack being seperated. Also how Ripley managed to become impregnated despite her capsule being undamaged...

Just thoughts please, maybe there is some sort of explanation...

Eyebiter
15-Aug-2006, 11:22 PM
Sigorney Weaver wouldn't do the movie unless she was a co-producer. There was so much trouble on the set after the first few days of filming Michael Biehn (Hicks) left the set in disgust.

Aliens 3 Script Archive
http://home.online.no/~bhundlan/scripts/alien3/

Danny
16-Aug-2006, 12:06 AM
ive never been an alien fan but damn that film sucked ass.

really.it did.:skull:

Graebel
16-Aug-2006, 12:16 AM
Which version do you hate? I finally saw the directors cut and I actually liked it. Much better than the theatrical version.

But after reading some of the alternate scripts, I wasn't a big fan of any of them. I always wanted to see the aliens make it to earth and (AVP doesn't count - blah filth:barf: ) really kick some @ss.

Eyebiter
16-Aug-2006, 01:02 AM
The Dark Horse novels and comics give some insight into how the Hicks/Newt centric storyline would have developed.

http://www.brian-oshaughnessy.com/alien/books.html

p2501
16-Aug-2006, 01:00 PM
Aliens 3 Script Archive
http://home.online.no/~bhundlan/scripts/alien3/

Great link, thanks. the gibson script is actually pretty decent.

bassman
16-Aug-2006, 02:42 PM
One of my favorite directors, David Fincher("Seven", "Fight Club", "The Game") directed that film. He is trully a great film maker and from what I've heard, because it was his first big job, the studio f*cked with him and most of the film turned out to be the exact opposite of the way he intended.

I would like to see the "Directors Cut". I wonder if Fincher could have actually saved it with the few resources he now has left(not many, I'm assuming).

But yeah....I heard he got f*cked on the deal. So blame it on FOX and the producers.

Even though it's not great.....it's still a whole hell of a lot better than "Alien: Resurrection":| :barf:

HLS
16-Aug-2006, 03:02 PM
You know I lost track of the Alien movies. The first will always be the best. How many of those damn movies did they make anyways?

Adrenochrome
16-Aug-2006, 03:08 PM
How many of those damn movies did they make anyways?
imdb is your friend.

Trancelikestate
16-Aug-2006, 04:42 PM
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/7204/alien01fl4db5.gif (http://imageshack.us)

SUSHI ANYONE?

MikePizzoff
16-Aug-2006, 04:54 PM
You know I lost track of the Alien movies. The first will always be the best. How many of those damn movies did they make anyways?

Only 4. If there is more than two sequels for a movie a lot people seem to think that there are like 8 of them, for some reason.

Rottedfreak
16-Aug-2006, 05:05 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien%C2%B3

Special Edition on the Alien Quadrilogy boxset is a better version.

MinionZombie
16-Aug-2006, 05:08 PM
What!!!??? Michael Biehn's "Hicks" was supposed to actually be in the movie?! Damnit! Stupid bastards screwing up the production and the world was deprived of the serie's best male character! :mad:

EvilNed
16-Aug-2006, 05:11 PM
No, Michael Beihn was never supposed to be in the film. He wanted to, but from the get-go his character was never in the script. Infact, the only reason Michael Beihn accepted the role in Aliens (he got paid very little) was because he figured they'd do a sequel and then they could give him more money for that.

But no, Michael Beihn never left the set in disgust because he was never actually cast in the first place.

bassman
16-Aug-2006, 05:45 PM
No, Michael Beihn was never supposed to be in the film. He wanted to, but from the get-go his character was never in the script. Infact, the only reason Michael Beihn accepted the role in Aliens (he got paid very little) was because he figured they'd do a sequel and then they could give him more money for that.

But no, Michael Beihn never left the set in disgust because he was never actually cast in the first place.

Actually, no. Originally, Hicks was going to be played by another actor by the name of James Remar. You may know him as Ajax in "The Warriors" or Hugo Posh in "The Girl Next Door".

Remar had "artistic differences"(they use that alot in the movie business, don't they?:D ) with director James Cameron within the first week or so of principal photography. After Remar left the project, Cameron called in a favor from Micheal Beihn, who had previously worked with Cameron on "The Terminator".

There are a few shots of Remar as Cpl. Hicks, within the final version of the film but they are only of his back, so the actor transition worked flawlessly. The only difference between Beihn and the other marines is that while the rest of the cast had a couple of weeks of military training, Beihn just jumped into it after production had begun. This is why you don't see too much of Hicks performing the ummm...."military tactics"(i guess that's an okay way to phrase it) as they're entering LV426 like the other soldiers(Vasquez and Drake - anyone?:cool: Bad motha f*ckas).

This is all stated in the documentary that's on the Special Edition DVD.

You are right.....the original "Alien" is untouchable. But did you not see the first sequel, "Aliens"? Equally as good as the original, but totally different films. Ridley Scott made a fantastic horror and suspense film, while James Cameron made one hell a war picture.(I always thought the "This Time It's War" tagline was fantastic:) )

p2501
16-Aug-2006, 06:14 PM
Actually, no. Originally, Hicks was going to be played by another actor by the name of James Remar. You may know him as Ajax in "The Warriors" or Hugo Posh in "The Girl Next Door".

Remar had "artistic differences"(they use that alot in the movie business, don't they?:D ) with director James Cameron within the first week or so of principal photography. After Remar left the project, Cameron called in a favor from Micheal Beihn, who had previously worked with Cameron on "The Terminator".

There are a few shots of Remar as Cpl. Hicks, within the final version of the film but they are only of his back, so the actor transition worked flawlessly. The only difference between Beihn and the other marines is that while the rest of the cast had a couple of weeks of military training, Beihn just jumped into it after production had begun. This is why you don't see too much of Hicks performing the ummm...."military tactics"(i guess that's an okay way to phrase it) as they're entering LV426 like the other soldiers(Vasquez and Drake - anyone?:cool: Bad motha f*ckas).

i didn;t know that. very cool, and thanks.

bassman
16-Aug-2006, 07:21 PM
i didn;t know that. very cool, and thanks.

No problem. I love talking movies.:D

If you like "Aliens", I highly recommend you pick up the Special Edition. It's the same that's in the "Quadrilogy" set, but I just didn't want "Resurrection" so I had to get the singles. It has a documentary that's longer than the actual film and VERY interesting. Anything you want to know....it's there. I've actually watched the documentary several times.....that's got to mean something.:confused:

It's good stuff.

p2501
16-Aug-2006, 07:23 PM
i actually ahve the set. but i've never had time to go through all of the supplimental docs. i'll have to set aside time.

bassman
16-Aug-2006, 08:22 PM
But back onto "Alien 3"....

If any of you guys remember the posters for this flick....you'll remember that there was one much like the original(the cracked egg with light shining through), One with an alien kinda or "curling" into a circle(I still don't understand that one - I thought that maybe it was supposed to signify the early stages of an alien and what happens to Ripley), and one that always confused me. It was a photo of Weaver as Ripley with her bald head and the same outfit that she wears in the film..............BUT SHES HOLDING A MACHINE GUN. For anyone that's seen the movie, you should know why I'm confused.....

MinionZombie
16-Aug-2006, 11:00 PM
Because who would wanna go see a movie about a chick waving a torch at an alien? :lol:

Aye, I'd heard about the Remar/Biehn thing a while ago, cool little thing that, and clearly Biehn was the choice that should have always been made. Hicks (by Biehn) is legendary. When you're a kid playing Aliens, everyone fights over who gets to play Hicks. Same when you're playing Terminator, everyone fights over who gets to play Kyle Reese.

Biehn is the friggin' daddy, bring on his role in Grind House. The dude's a legend. :cool:

EvilNed
17-Aug-2006, 01:34 AM

I know, I've seen the documentary. I wasn't contradicting any of that. But what do you mean by "Actually, No"? If you see the documentary for Alien 3 on Alien Quadrilogy, you'll hear that Michael Beihn was talked into accepting the role as Hicks on the minimal salary, because the agent believed they would make sequels and then pay Michael more for it.

Infact, Michael Beihn mentions on several locations that he got very little for his part in Aliens and that it was a very close call for him wether to accept the role or not.

bassman
17-Aug-2006, 11:46 AM
I know, I've seen the documentary. I wasn't contradicting any of that. But what do you mean by "Actually, No"? If you see the documentary for Alien 3 on Alien Quadrilogy, you'll hear that Michael Beihn was talked into accepting the role as Hicks on the minimal salary, because the agent believed they would make sequels and then pay Michael more for it.

Infact, Michael Beihn mentions on several locations that he got very little for his part in Aliens and that it was a very close call for him wether to accept the role or not.

Oh okay....I thought you were saying that he took the role in "Aliens" because he thought he would be in sequels. I didn't know you meant "Alien 3". My mistake. But that's really the main reason he was in "Aliens" - as a favor to Cameron.

I don't have the "Alien 3" SE actually....I might have to pick it up so I can see what Fincher's Director's Cut is all about.

EvilNed
17-Aug-2006, 11:55 AM
Oh okay....I thought you were saying that he took the role in "Aliens" because he thought he would be in sequels. I didn't know you meant "Alien 3". My mistake. But that's really the main reason he was in "Aliens" - as a favor to Cameron.

I don't have the "Alien 3" SE actually....I might have to pick it up so I can see what Fincher's Director's Cut is all about.

Might have been the main reason, but the other main reason why he took the role on such a small salary (Had he recieved a bigger salary, it would probably have been all-Cameron) was that he figured he'd get more money in the sequels.

Alas, they never even wrote him into the sequel!

Also, the Alien 3 is not a directors cut. It's the only part of the Quadrilogy where the director had nothing to do with the added material. Fincher had such trouble with the producers that he never wanted to look back on Alien 3 (He doesn't appear in any of the documentaries either). So he gave his blessing to the editors to make a better cut, but personally he had nothing to do with it.

Still, the Special Edition cut that came out is much better than the theatrical cut. Overall, it's definetly the better "Extended cut" of the four, followed by Aliens and then Alien/Alien Quadrilogy tied (They are both unnecessary). It's amazing what they've done with the film, and it adds awhooole new depth to it.

bassman
17-Aug-2006, 11:59 AM
Hmmm....Im not so compelled to buy it now that I know that Fincher didn't help re-cut the film. I still might pick it up though....just to have it.

I know I'll never buy "Resurrection"......:bored: :barf:

p2501
17-Aug-2006, 12:38 PM
Biehn is the friggin' daddy, bring on his role in Grind House. The dude's a legend. :cool:

A-fukkin-men ;)

MinionZombie
18-Aug-2006, 10:48 AM
I'll be interested to see the new cut of Alien 3. While it's not a very good Alien film, it's actually not too bad as a film really, it stands up well after a few years. Now, Alien Resurrection, oh dear ... it has some moments, but not a lot else. Alien 3, which I rewatched a while ago, is actually fairly good, you can feel Fincher's influence which makes a sh*t movie not-too-bad after all.

Ach, I'm not explaining myself very well, but fudge it...Aliens is still my favourite, long live Hicks! :cool: