PDA

View Full Version : fear and loathing or where the buffalos roam

general tbag
19-Aug-2006, 01:17 AM
since were on the topic with fear and loathing in dj get well thread, which ones better.

bill murray was just as good as johnny depp.

coma
19-Aug-2006, 01:52 AM
I love Bill Murray but I think fear and loathing was better, though it did bring up a lot of bad(?) memories of past excesses of mine. The drug vibe was dead on in a way that no other movie, not even Drugstore cowboy , captured. Though they are prett close on Gold Ol' Hunter Thompson.It's a tough choice and I haven't seen Where the Buffalo roam in a really long time (like15 years), but when I saw it, I really loved it.
If you had an equal choice I might have chosen that.

Adrenochrome
19-Aug-2006, 12:47 PM
I love them both, but, tend to enjoy Fear and Loathing a little more....mainly because of Terry Gilliam - That man is a genius!
(also, it reminds me of my younger days.);)

MinionZombie
19-Aug-2006, 12:53 PM
Fear & Loathing is the one for me, that movie is just completely crazy. Great to watch with a group of friends after schmokin' a 'lil something...(not condoning, just going on personal experience at university, teehee) :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
19-Aug-2006, 03:11 PM
I think the Bill Murray version is too campy, but thats what a lot fo 80's filmmaking was like.

Kaos
19-Aug-2006, 04:04 PM
I love both movies, but Depp wins hands down.

bassman
20-Aug-2006, 04:36 PM
I love both, but "Fear and Loathing" is alittle more organized and laid out. "Where the Buffalo Roam" just jumps from place to place and gets alittle confusing.

Plus, I don't think "Fear and Loathing" would have been as good as it is without Terry Gilliam. He knew exactly how to handle the material. Not to mention Depps performance.....he wins, hands down. He was devoted to playing Thompson(well....Raoul Duke;) ) much more than Murray. Of course they both got to hang out with Hunter in order to prepare for their roles. Depp became good friends with him(he helped to fulfill Hunter's lifetime dream of having his ashes shot out of a canon on his property in Colorado) and it you watch the documentary "Fear and Loathing on the Road to Hollywood", you can see some funny footage of Bill Murray, Brian Doyle Murray, and Thompson all coked out of their minds.:D

I'm still waiting for Depp to get "The Rum Diaries" rolling. I read in a Rolling Stone article that he's planning on getting it going towards the beginning of next year.:skull:

LoSTBoY
20-Aug-2006, 06:56 PM
I've finally sat down and watched Fear and Loathing, up until now I've seen most of the start up to when they meet the photographer the first time, then for some reason or other I have to go do something.

What a great film, freaky and funny. I was pissing myself when the irate cop was trying to get his room at the hotel. When the guys wife starts crying, Duke says: "I know, I know, I know....he's hideous. Your fine though, you're doing well." :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have not seen the other film, so my vote goes to Fear and Loathing.