PDA

View Full Version : A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) Theatrical re-release

DjfunkmasterG
21-Aug-2006, 05:09 PM
Yep Wes Cravens horror original is coming back to theaters September 20-21 2006. Keep watching for more details

zombie04
21-Aug-2006, 05:44 PM
I take it this is to coincide with the release of the Infinifilm dvd?

EvilNed
21-Aug-2006, 05:55 PM
Good film. But I was never a huge fan of it. I'll pass.

MinionZombie
21-Aug-2006, 06:11 PM
Infinifilm DVD?

Also, good flick, hope they haven't messed with it ... like replacing all the guns with walkie-frickin'-talkies! :|:barf:

But I was always in the Friday 13th camp rather than Freddy. Friday's sequels were infinately better than those for Nightmare (part 6 ... a killer MAP, I mean come on!).

Bubdotd
21-Aug-2006, 06:17 PM
I might watch it if i have nothing better to do.

radiokill
21-Aug-2006, 06:27 PM
i'll watch it if there's nothing else playing that my girlfr*ahem*......I mean I want to see I want to see. The only good sequel in the series was dream warriors and it rocked.

zombie04
21-Aug-2006, 08:47 PM
Infinifilm DVD?

Also, good flick, hope they haven't messed with it ... like replacing all the guns with walkie-frickin'-talkies! :|:barf:

But I was always in the Friday 13th camp rather than Freddy. Friday's sequels were infinately better than those for Nightmare (part 6 ... a killer MAP, I mean come on!).

Well first of all, what if the walkie-talkies were part of Wes Craven's orignial vision?

I do agree with you about the sequels. Although the first Nightmare was a great movie, and the next two were good (particularly Dream Warriors), the rest of the series was just a sad attempt at filmmaking from a bunch of hacks who couldn't make it on anywhere else (like Renny Harlin). The Friday the 13th sequels were bad (except for 2,4, and 6), they were mostly entertaining (except for 5).

MikePizzoff
21-Aug-2006, 08:59 PM
I love the Nightmare On Elm St series (own the boxset). I hate those of you that don't love it. :D

This will be cool to see in theatres.

Philly_SWAT
21-Aug-2006, 11:01 PM
I think the origianl NOES was an awesome film. Even though it is obvious that the special effects budget was low, Wes Craven did some amazing things with the limited budget. The mood was definately very creepy, almost scary. Of course, there were some incredibly dumb lines in it, but I love the dumb lines. My fav is when the mom is explaining what happened, it goes something like this...

"Freddy Kruger was a rotten filthy child murderer who killed a dozen kids in the neighborhood. But someone forgot to cross a T or dot an I when they arrested him. The judge got fat and the lawyers got famous, but he got off on a technacality just like that."
Yeah, child murderers who killed a dozen kids would definately get off just like that.She continues..
"So a bunch of us parents...."
What, was she born a parent? She has been in a constant state of parenthood forever? So her daughter had no knowledge of a child murderer who killed 12 kids in her hometown within the last few years? Very believable.

Danny
21-Aug-2006, 11:51 PM
yawn...

that film sucked then and it does now ive allways preffered friday the 13th i mean krueger used to be a good character but hes been in rap videos with the phat boys for christs sake hes just a parody of himself nowadays.

LouCipherr
22-Aug-2006, 12:07 AM
Freddy, in the first Nightmare, was badass - although they made the same mistake with him as they did with Jason and Michael in Friday/Halloween - the minute the "scary guy" in the movie becomes the main character (meaning, the camera starts following them around instead of the people in the movie), the movie becomes pure crap, period.

The best part about the first Nightmare, first Halloween and first Friday 13th is you never knew where the hell the killer was 'till he (or she in the case of first Friday) took your face off.
:D

zombie04
22-Aug-2006, 02:53 AM
What, was she born a parent? She has been in a constant state of parenthood forever? So her daughter had no knowledge of a child murderer who killed 12 kids in her hometown within the last few years? Very believable.

I thought there was a deleted scene where Nancy's mom tells her that she had an older sister but Freddy killed her with other kids from the neighborhood before Nancy was born. It's moments like that that should stay in movies to avoid confusion.

AcesandEights
22-Aug-2006, 04:53 AM
Meh.

What else is there to say, except where is the yawny emoticon?

Dawg
22-Aug-2006, 09:54 AM
I think the origianl NOES was an awesome film. Even though it is obvious that the special effects budget was low, Wes Craven did some amazing things with the limited budget. The mood was definately very creepy, almost scary. Of course, there were some incredibly dumb lines in it, but I love the dumb lines. My fav is when the mom is explaining what happened, it goes something like this...

"Freddy Kruger was a rotten filthy child murderer who killed a dozen kids in the neighborhood. But someone forgot to cross a T or dot an I when they arrested him. The judge got fat and the lawyers got famous, but he got off on a technacality just like that."
Yeah, child murderers who killed a dozen kids would definately get off just like that.She continues..
"So a bunch of us parents...."

People get off on crap all the time when cops f**k up their case. *cough* O.J. *cough*

Her mom was referring to the fact that they are parents now, that is usually how people talk, but also a lot of them were probably parents back then too, and Freddy was killing their kids. That is why they killed him. Maybe Nancy did have an older sibling as noted.

Her daughter, Nancy, may not have heard about Freddy because like mentioned in the sequels, the town may have tried to forget about him. It isn't something you usually want to bring up to your kids afterall.

:dead: Dawg

Dommm
22-Aug-2006, 10:16 AM
hope they dont decide to re-make it,hollywood is truley running out of ideas.

zombiegirl
22-Aug-2006, 01:42 PM
Freddy, in the first Nightmare, was badass - although they made the same mistake with him as they did with Jason and Michael in Friday/Halloween - the minute the "scary guy" in the movie becomes the main character (meaning, the camera starts following them around instead of the people in the movie), the movie becomes pure crap, period.

The best part about the first Nightmare, first Halloween and first Friday 13th is you never knew where the hell the killer was 'till he (or she in the case of first Friday) took your face off.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :D

DjfunkmasterG
22-Aug-2006, 01:45 PM
Well first of all, what if the walkie-talkies were part of Wes Craven's orignial vision?

I do agree with you about the sequels. Although the first Nightmare was a great movie, and the next two were good (particularly Dream Warriors), the rest of the series was just a sad attempt at filmmaking from a bunch of hacks who couldn't make it on anywhere else (like Renny Harlin). The Friday the 13th sequels were bad (except for 2,4, and 6), they were mostly entertaining (except for 5).

A Lot of people like Part 7 I hear a lot of talk about that sequel.

Meh.

What else is there to say, except where is the yawny emoticon?

You mean this

http://voiceofthepublic.com/netwidow/Stuff/Emoticons/Lists/yawn.gif

zombie04
22-Aug-2006, 04:09 PM
A Lot of people like Part 7 I hear a lot of talk about that sequel.

I don't really consider New Nightmare to be part of the series. Since it plays out in the real world for the majority of the movie and then goes into the movie world at the very end, I think of it has its own movie.

MinionZombie
22-Aug-2006, 04:26 PM
Well I guess that's the natural progression as things move on. At least with Jason his backstory stayed basically the same (none of that Michael was beaten by his parents in Halloween 8) and he didn't become a comedian (like Freddy the child raping murderer did ... now that's freakin' bizarre isn't it?).

Good thing about the Friday sequels is they tried to add a bit of variety.

#2 - Jason arrives
#3 - Hockey Mask arrives, tried it out in 3-D
#4 - Savini is back, return to classic Friday formula to make excellence, they kill off Jason
#5 - Jason imposter (the film sucked though)
#6 - Jason is resurrected from the grave like a zombie, now we move into the heavy metal soundtrack era with Alice Cooper, more gags, but played straight
#7 - Telekenesis, Jason's badass make-up (best in the saga)
#8 - Jason in New York (and on a boat), admittedly not well made...shame
#9 - Jason's spirit possesses normal people who kill, Jason is sucked into Hell and the Freddy link is established (although it was a sucky flick)
#10 - Jason...IN SPACE! :lol: Entertaining, but far removed from it's origins.

Roll on a Jason flick which returns to the roots. Also, speaking of centering on the victims as characters, they do that quite a bit in the Friday films when you think about it, especially with that of Tommy Jarvis (4 through 6). The first four films also take place within about two weeks (story time).

The Freddy sequels were just lame as heck beyond Dream Warriors (which was actually an entertaining flick when Freddy was still somewhat menacing), part two, while rough, was still gritty enough to justly sit beside its originator.

The Halloween sequels, oh deary me...'nuff said really. :D

LouCipherr
22-Aug-2006, 04:55 PM
Halloween - well, as far as i'm concerned, there are only 4 of these in existence. 1, 2, 4 and H20. The rest should've been thrown out the window. :mad:

As far as Friday the 13th - man, after part 3 I totally lost interest. Regardless if they kept to the storyline of the original, it doesn't change the fact that when the scary character that you're supposed to be afraid of becomes the main character and center of the movie, it's no longer worth watching. Believe me, as much as I like Nightmare (the original ONLY) and Halloween, the same applied to those, too.

Freddy was the WORST turn of them all though - I mean, c'mon, this son of a bitch was a badass mf'er that would hunt you ass down in your dreams and carve you up like cube steak! When they made him into the comedian he is (which started in part 2), thats when he began to suck terribly and it just got worse from there. If they would've just let him keep lurking in the shadows of peoples dreams and once in a while peel off someones face, it would've been perfect... but in typical h'wood fashion, they ruined it by trying to milk the series for all it was worth - something ALL of these films have suffered from, unfortunately.

LC

MinionZombie
23-Aug-2006, 11:13 AM
Freddy's definately suffered the worst though I think, if only for the fact he started out as a child-murdering rapist maniac who was burnt alive and then became a wise-cracking, smooth-scarred wise-en-heimer with dolls targetted at children ... yes, children! How messed up is that?

If there was ever an award for the biggest warping of a message, that would have to be in there...

Dommm
23-Aug-2006, 11:38 AM
Well of all the horror movies i would grant freddy as being the most evil if not the most scary.

bassman
23-Aug-2006, 01:21 PM
I thought you fans of the "Nightmare" series might like to know about this....

McFarlane Toys is releasing a "3-D" version of the theatrical poster for "A Nightmare on Elm Street". It's not the kind of 3-d you're thinking of(where you have to wear glasses), but the poster ITSELF is made like that. You can check it out here (http://mcfarlanetoys.com/toys/product.aspx?product=3089).

I'm not a big fan of the "Nightmare" series....but that poster is bitchin. They also have the same kind of posters for "Jaws" (http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=3048), "Friday the 13th" (http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=3050), and "Alien" (http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=3090).

And if you're a fan of the "Alien" series....you should check out McFarlane's figures from those films.....awesome stuff.:thumbsup:

kortick
23-Aug-2006, 04:20 PM
i remember when there were riots when Friday played
there were theaters that wouldnt carry it
it is so tame today
it is a shame they butchered ptII so bad
they cut out all the gore
you cant even tell crazy ralph is being strangled
with barbed wire
it just looks like rope
the pics that fango printed never made it to the screen

freddy was great in pt I
then the sequels all got worse
i saw pt I at amidnight show and loved it
back then it was cool
i guess seeing them when they were new makes a difference

Neil
23-Aug-2006, 05:34 PM
yawn...

that film sucked then and it does now ive allways preffered friday the 13th i mean krueger used to be a good character but hes been in rap videos with the phat boys for christs sake hes just a parody of himself nowadays.

*smack*

Binary opinion warning!

MinionZombie
23-Aug-2006, 06:25 PM
That's an ingenius idea! Those are indeed frickin' cool ... but how long before some nerd in their basement makes out with that poster before feeling it up? :rockbrow:

Cool find.

jdog
23-Aug-2006, 08:48 PM
i,ll go to see it because i'm a sucker for any horror movie that goes to theaters even though i own it already. i find the nightmare on elm st series to be entertaining, i resently watched all of them in the courses of 3 nights and was entertained. 1 and 3 are the better ones in my opinion.