PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Sg1 Cancelled?

Eyebiter
21-Aug-2006, 11:24 PM
Did anyone catch the zombies on Stargate SG1 last Friday?

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/08/istargate_sg-1i_cancelled_iatlan.shtml

Stargate SG-1 cancelled, Atlantis renewed

Monday - August 21, 2006 | by Darren Sumner

The future of Stargate is in question today, as SCI FI Channel has cancelled the long-running Stargate SG-1, Multichannel News reported today and a GateWorld source has confirmed. The news regrettably follows the airing of the show's milestone two-hundredth episode on Friday.

Stargate Atlantis, meanwhile, has been renewed for a fourth season, with the network hoping to see that the spin-off series can stand alone, according to a source.

SG-1 has struggled in the ratings all summer, with the record-breaking tenth season premiering with a 1.4 household rating -- down more than 20 percent from last season's average. After a brief climb to a 1.6 in its second week, the show fell to a 1.3 in week four.

Viewers and production personnel alike have blamed a number of factors for the show's dramatically lower ratings, from SCI FI and Sony's lack of promotion to the removal of anchor show Battlestar Galactica from the Friday night line-up, to new competition from such shows as USA's hit Monk.

Though also down significantly in the ratings this summer, Atlantis has consistently scored better than SG-1.

"Studio executives are working to identify an alternative outlet for Stargate SG-1," Multichannel News said, citing sources close to the production.

Stargate SG-1 premiered on Showtime in the United States in July, 1997, where it aired for five years before the pay cable network cancelled it. In 2002 MGM brokered a deal to continue production and move the show to SCI FI Channel, where it became the cable channel's biggest hit and aired ten times per week in reruns.

In addition to holding the record for the longest-running science fiction series ever produced in North America, the series is largely responsible for making SCI FI a Top 10 cable network. Though the writers intended to end the show several times, its larger, newfound audience on basic cable rejuvinated the series, extending its life far beyond the average science fiction series.

Series lead Richard Dean Anderson left the show in 2004, to be replaced by Ben Browder and Beau Bridges when the show relaunched in a new creative direction in Season Nine. Ratings remained strong, though no longer at their historic peak. The show's producers had even intended to rebrand the show Stargate Command, but SCI FI ultimately opted to stick with the established SG-1 name.

Ironically, this is the first year since Season Four that plans were already in place, both creatively and in signed actor contracts, for another year. The show has lived on year-to-year since moving to SCI FI, with the writers forced to write a possible series finale every year -- only to find the show renewed once again.

Following the September 22 mid-season finale, SCI FI Channel intends to air the final 10 episodes of Stargate SG-1 beginning in March, 2007, a source confirmed to GateWorld.

What is to come? Both the producers and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer have expressed a desire to continue the hit franchise with not just Stargate Atlantis, but something new in the future -- be it an SG-1 feature film or TV mini-series, or a third television show. The benefits of a simultaneous dual production in Vancouver, with two projects sharing producers, writers, and crew members, are tremendous for the studio. And Stargate is owner MGM's flagship television property, having recently been compared to its venerable "James Bond" film franchise in importance.

MGM has a great deal invested in an expanding field of licensing, official conventions, syndication, and international TV distribution. Notable is the upcoming MMORPG video game Stargate Worlds, perhaps the franchise's largest licensed project to date, due out at the end of 2007.

Meanwhile, Stargate Atlantis will have the chance to step out of the shadow of its parent show and stand on its own two feet. Though the foundational chapter of the Stargate saga draws to a close, hope remains for the future.

An official announcement with additional details on the future of Stargate is expected this week. Stay with GateWorld for the very latest.

Stargate SG-1 airs Fridays at 9 p.m. Eastern and Pacific on SCI FI Channel in the United States.

Danny
21-Aug-2006, 11:48 PM
the latest season still aint aired in the uk cus sky one has this thing with all its sci-fi shows were, when the latest season finishes, it goes through re-runs of the entire series till it ends again starting with the next season.
i didnt like atlantis mutch at first but its grown on me and even though it would be a shame to see it go i didnt think the 'funny' parts were pulled of as well without o'niels character.
lets hope they just let sgi-1 die while it still has fans and not continue the characters into an endless slew of save the universe movie drivel like they did with star trek the next generation.

AssassinFromHell
22-Aug-2006, 12:14 AM
How the hell did Atlantis get renewed? Much less, how did SG1 last after RDA left?

Exatreides
22-Aug-2006, 02:36 AM
No!!!!

that makes me sad!

Rottedfreak
22-Aug-2006, 07:09 AM
they should play out season ten as any other and end it on a cliffhanger - as any other. I'd hate to see the Ori swiftly defeated in seventeen episodes time...

Cykotic
22-Aug-2006, 08:49 AM
Two things:
1) Atlantis Sucks
2) why are all of the good Sci-Fi shows being cancelled??? I still miss the War of the Worlds TV series!!!!

Burbank
22-Aug-2006, 10:59 AM
Did anyone see the 200th episode last Friday? It was very funny.

StarGate via The OC and StarGate via Thunderbirds (yes with pupets) were to very funny little skits.

The show might not end, MGM might manage to flog it somewhere else.

p2501
22-Aug-2006, 01:30 PM
that's crap, i've actually been digging this season, with all of the Farscapening they've been doing.

yet once again Sci-Fi drops the ball.

speaking of which does anyone actually watch atlantis? it's ****ing horrible.

Burbank
22-Aug-2006, 01:33 PM
I don't really like Atlantis... find it quite dull.

That said I've been finding SG1 lacking a bit this Season.

zombiegirl
22-Aug-2006, 01:35 PM
They always cancel the good shows. :mad: Damn networks.
Invasion - gone
Surface - gone
Charmed - gone
And now SG-1. It just figures.

Danny
22-Aug-2006, 03:34 PM
surface?:confused:

the saem thing happened with enterprise just when it started to pick up again they dropped it. too bad this never happens with soap operas though.:|

AssassinFromHell
22-Aug-2006, 03:44 PM
Enterprise? That horrible disgrace to the Trek saga deserved to be chopped for a long time. It screwed up the storyline. The washed up writers cared about nothing more than earning bucks off an already over extracted empire.

LOL at Invasion too.

Then we've got Battlestar Galactica which needs to be ended.

Science Fiction is doomed! :eek:

mista_mo
22-Aug-2006, 08:06 PM
Enterprise was the only watchable star trek series to be aired in my opinion...

But It's better that Sg-1 go like this, then get beaten to death by new episodes like the simpsons...

p2501
22-Aug-2006, 08:19 PM
Enterprise was the only watchable star trek series to be aired in my opinion...

But It's better that Sg-1 go like this, then get beaten to death by new episodes like the simpsons...

i ahve to say that Deep space nine is still my favorite trek.

but damn good point about SG1. better to go out respectably.

besides if they can resolve the current main plotline, it would be an excellent place to close out the series.

mista_mo
22-Aug-2006, 08:23 PM
I haven't seen the new episodes (haven't aired on the space channel in Canada) but I wanna see em..I just hope that the series doesn't get played out though, again, much like the simpsons has, or king of the hill.

Danny
22-Aug-2006, 08:41 PM
i think king of the hills still as funny as it used to be and ,bizaarely, i like it more than the simpsons lately, and i would have never said that in the late 90's.

Exatreides
22-Aug-2006, 08:51 PM
Eh I was raised on Voyager so I'm in the minority crowd being thats my fav, I like the Next Gen and and a little of enterprise but Deepspace nine kinda irks me.

Atlantis is decent, I think they have progressed alot with it since the first season, but it's no SG-1

Maybe we will all get lucky and have Showtime pick it up again.

mista_mo
22-Aug-2006, 09:03 PM
okay, I retract my king of the hill statement...I just thought of it and put it down (oops) the show is great, and I just realized that now after re-redaing my post..hehehe, simpsons still sucks tho.

Danny
22-Aug-2006, 09:33 PM
amen to that man. amen to that.:bored:

Rottedfreak
23-Aug-2006, 12:56 PM
Battlestar Galactica needs to be ended?

It's been a huge success and is set to have two spin offs in the form of webisodes and a prequal called Caprica.

Danny
23-Aug-2006, 11:30 PM
yeah galactica kicks ass, now that damn lost show, thats a different story.:dead:

Geophyrd
24-Aug-2006, 12:35 PM
Pretty funny. I particularly liked the Farscape references...miss that damned show. I wish SciFi would put it on Itunes. There's a series I'd buy for my IPOD. Just so you know, I got the video IPOD and have used it to watch the entire Shield last season, most of Lost, a couple of BSGs and am now in the middle of Prison Break (great show, btw).

I used to watch SG1 when it came on Showtime. It was a little cheesy. I stopped watchign and over the years, I heard it got better. Two years ago, I started watching again and the show was really good. Not BSG level good, but there's damned little that's as good as BSG (exception: Deadwood, which. alas, is also cancelled)

I'm going to miss SG1 and I agree that Atlantis is mostly crap. The low budget REALLY shows on Atlantis. They apparently throw most of their budget into computer effects, not cast, directors, writers, sets or props.

Sigh...not long ago, I said we're in a golden age for tv. Its not over, but damn, the tin is started to show through.

HLS
24-Aug-2006, 03:30 PM
I am suprised sg1 lasted as long as it did. I liked the show but it was never really that great or exciting. Ya I miss the star trek series.

erisi236
24-Aug-2006, 03:53 PM
DS9 was the best thing Trek ever did IMO, and whille Enterprise played a little too fast and loose with Trek history I still liked the show alot, the Mirror Universe episodes were awesome.

SG1 has had a good run, it's time to let it go.