PDA

View Full Version : Megadeth angry at United Nations

DjfunkmasterG
24-Aug-2006, 02:20 PM
NEW YORK (Billboard) -- Heavy metal maven Dave Mustaine is so angry with the United Nations that he is naming his group Megadeth's next album "United Abominations."

"I was watching TV and saw the trucks that said 'UN' on them and said, 'Man, you are so uncool, ineffective, anything," the singer/guitarist said in a recent Billboard interview.

"I thought, 'Wow, I've got to run with this. I got it -- United Abominations, 'cause it's an abomination what they're doing!' "

The longtime bane of American conservatives, the United Nations has been criticized for its slow responses to humanitarian crises in hot spots such as Darfur and Rwanda. U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan recently expressed frustration that the group took so long to broker a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Mustaine said Megadeth is putting the finishing touches on the album, its debut for indie label Roadrunner Records, and it should be ready "some time next year."

"We're taking our time with this one," Mustaine said. "It's a great feeling to make a record and not have our feet held to the fire. One of my heroes growing up was Kiss, but they really frustrated me 'cause they would put out a record just about every year. I couldn't figure that out. I pretty much have a cycle of about 18 months to 24 months between records. I just can't put them out any quicker than that and feel comfortable about them."

Megadeth's last album, "The System Has Failed," was released by Sanctuary in 2004.

Mustaine expects Megadeth to tour heavily in support of "United Abominations," perhaps into 2008. In the meantime, the group is gearing up for the September 6 start of the second Gigantour traveling heavy metal festival in Boise. The tour, which also features Lamb of God, Opeth and Arch Enemy, runs through October 8 in Orlando, Florida.

erisi236
24-Aug-2006, 03:47 PM
Hell, they've had issues with the UN for along time.

Peace Sell but Who's Buying came out in 86 and look at the cover. :)

http://www.rockdetector.com/assets/img/covers/23361.jpg

bassman
24-Aug-2006, 04:49 PM
And who do they think will care?:p

p2501
24-Aug-2006, 04:55 PM
So who's dave mustane?....

MinionZombie
24-Aug-2006, 05:11 PM
lol @ the UN ... what a bunch of chumps. They can't get anything done, it's just like in Team America - "or else what?" - "or else we will be very angry with you, and we will write a letter telling you how angry we are".

It's a bunch of disparate countries and their respective idiotic controllers banding together to fight with each other. Really, we should televise it as a wrasslin' match for charity and get a well organised guy to go around handing out the money to working aid groups to sort some sh*t out for a change...

Chakobsa
25-Aug-2006, 12:51 AM
Yeah, the U.N, what good do they serve? Imagine being in Rawanda, watching your family getting hacked to pieces by your machete wielding former neighbours whilst heavily armed soldiers there under U.N mandate are powerless to act. Funny how they're so quick to jump into Lebanon. Whose interests are really being served here? Well, France and Russia amongst others, two powers that would like to see America's prime ally in the region weakened. It's in their interests to see western( read Anglo/American) alliances in the area damaged as both countries would dearly love to see the dollar replaced as the world's reserve currency. That's one of the real reasons behind the invasion of Iraq and Afganistan, long term strategic goals, nevermind what the news media harp on about. The third world war was fought across the globe by proxies of the U.s and Russia, the fourth is being played out as we watch. The U.N are puppets,
whose motivations are transparent to anyone who takes the time to stand back and think.

AcesandEights
25-Aug-2006, 06:39 AM
Nice stab at pumping up the band's notoriety, anything they do at this point couldn't make them less well known.

LouCipherr
28-Aug-2006, 04:52 PM
'make them less known'? :lol:

Interesting reply considering The System Has Failed (their last CD) sold very well in this day and age. That CD was aggresive as hell compared to some of their previous albums (Risk, Countdown, The World Needs a Hero, etc) and a lot of people took notice. I think they're more known now than the last decade thanks to that CD. I'm not a "huge" fan of Megadeth, but just because you don't like 'em, doesn't mean lots of people don't. Go to a Gigantour show and you tell me how 'little they're known.' :rolleyes:

This is nothing new with Mustaine though - Rust in Peace, Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?, Youthanasia, The System Has Failed, So Far...So Good...So What? - he's always been politically motivated. Those album titles just touch the surface. Hell, one of my favorite songs by them, "Holy Wars (The Punishment Due)" is nothing but about war and the politics of war.

The only thing I don't like about Mustaine is that he's a loud-mouth douchebag. Talks first, thinks later. His music, however, I tend to like for the most part. With the exception of The System Has Failed, I didn't care for any Megadeth that was post-Marty Friedman, who I still consider one of the best guitarists on the planet.

Dj, you could almost consider Marty a hometown boy - he was born & raised in Silver Spring. :D

LC

Danny
28-Aug-2006, 07:25 PM
"I thought, 'Wow, I've got to run with this. I got it -- United Abominations, 'cause it's an abomination what they're doing!' "

swish:rolleyes:

Tullaryx
28-Aug-2006, 08:56 PM
Mustaine is pissed off at the UN? The question I always ask whenever I hear any news about Mustaine being pissed off about someone or something. "Who isn't Mustaine pissed off at?"

MikePizzoff
28-Aug-2006, 10:26 PM
Mustaine is pissed off at the UN? The question I always ask whenever I hear any news about Mustaine being pissed off about someone or something. "Who isn't Mustaine pissed off at?"

:lol: That's a very good question.