PDA

View Full Version : Kill Bill Films - Why do we like them?

DjfunkmasterG
27-Aug-2006, 08:47 PM
I had this sudden urge to watch Kill Bill Vol. 1 today and after spending over an hour looking for the DVD I finally settled into bed and watched the entire film. Man out of Vol 1. & 2 this is my favorite film I think it captures Tarantino's cinema essence fully where Vol 2, although both are one long film, seems to lack a lot of his moments.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 has taught me a lot of things, but I will just name a few.

1. UMA Thurman is really hot :D
2. Tarantino can really handle action films and knows his chop-socky flicks.
3. Shows Tarantino can even up the bar on himself when he sets his mind to it.
4. Lucy Liu is a great actress as is Michael parks in his small but sleazy hospital pimp orderly role.

What are your thoughts on the Kill Bill Flicks, and which is your Fave?

Trancelikestate
27-Aug-2006, 08:53 PM
i like them both and think they compliment each other perfectly. when i came out of the theater after seeing vol. 1 i was astonished. it def made me feel like i had just seen something truly unique. what makes it uniques? well the retro feel i think for one. captuaring old spaghetti westerns with my favorite kung fu movies??? :D i was ecstatic! i love bruce lee also so that helps. also i'm obviously a tarantino fan, but this is def one of my fav movies. i've seen it a lot and plan on seeing it planty more! :D :D :D i think i had to choose 1 because i love the animated scene!

Adrenochrome
27-Aug-2006, 08:57 PM
I still haven't been able to sit down and watch them. Tarantino makes my skin crawl.

Trancelikestate
27-Aug-2006, 08:59 PM
I still haven't been able to sit down and watch them. Tarantino makes my skin crawl.in a bad way??? i guess he's not for everyone but how can you not like it? haha especially pulp fiction and resevoir dogs

Adrenochrome
27-Aug-2006, 09:04 PM
in a bad way??? i guess he's not for everyone but how can you not like it? haha especially pulp fiction and resevoir dogs
I can never put into words why I don't like his "style" - but, there's something there that has never agreed with me. Believe me, I've tried!

Trancelikestate
27-Aug-2006, 09:07 PM
hey, it's cool! i just loved it since i was young! :) like i said i guess it's not for everyone.

zombie04
27-Aug-2006, 09:14 PM
First a quick correction, it was Michael Bowen who was the hospital orderly, Michael Parks was the Texas Ranger at beginning(same character in From Dusk Till Dawn) and the pimp in the end of Volume 2.

I love them both very much, but Volume 1 had such great momentum from beginning to end while Volume 2 played out much more like a spaghetti western and lacked the energy of the first. I like both anyways so I won't say anything bad either, plus they have great soundtracks. Tarantino made good use of the Ennio Morricone music.

zombiegirl
27-Aug-2006, 09:30 PM
Kill Bill 1 is my favorite although I love Kill Bill 2 too. KB1 went deeper into the characters in my opinion, especially with Oren. I loved the cartoon depiction of her past and was really disappointed that KB 2 didn't have any of that. I also love the soundtrack to KB1. It was very original and seemed to flow so natually within the film.
My favorite part in KB1 was when beatrix was taking on the crazy 88's. The way it switched back and forth from black and white was great.

Danny
27-Aug-2006, 09:31 PM
im a big tarantino fan and even wrote essays and coursework for college in film on pulp fiction and reservoir dogs but man, kill bill was worse than jackie brown that was one stinker of a movie, it reminded me kinda like a spoof of a serious action flick at times and though i like his style the film just didnt sit right with me and it bugs me how tons of people i know only know tarantinos name from kill bill.

DjfunkmasterG
27-Aug-2006, 11:32 PM
Kill Bill 1 is my favorite although I love Kill Bill 2 too. KB1 went deeper into the characters in my opinion, especially with Oren. I loved the cartoon depiction of her past and was really disappointed that KB 2 didn't have any of that. I also love the soundtrack to KB1. It was very original and seemed to flow so natually within the film.
My favorite part in KB1 was when beatrix was taking on the crazy 88's. The way it switched back and forth from black and white was great.

I have the Japanese & US release of the film on DVD. The Crazy 88 fight doesn't go black & white on my Japanese version, It stays in color. I also have the US release which I enjoy because I love the B&W sequence... don't ask me why. I even have the DVD screener for the DEVIL's Rejects from Lion's Gate and because it is a screener it goes B&W from time to time and I got so used to watching it that way I rarely watch my UNRATED version DVD I grab the screener.

My Fave fight scene in the Kill Bill movies has to be between Black Mamba (Beatrix) and Copperhead (Vernita) that fight was intense. The Sword fight is my second fave fight in the films.

I am having a Tarantino Marathon until 10:00pm then I break for 30 mins to watch Entuorage on HBO, then back to Tarantino films.

So Far today I have watched

Four Rooms
Reservoir Dogs
True Romance (He only Scripted)
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kill Bill Vol. 2 (Just finished as of 7:27pm EST)
Natural Born Killers (next) (Scripted)
Entourage Break (10:00 - 10:30)
Jackie brown
From Dusk Til Dawn
and I am finishing the night with my Fave film PULP FICTION! :D Which should keep me up til 7am or so. :D

This is the second time since Last year I have done an all day Tarantino Marathon, and it will be another year before I do another. :p

EvilNed
27-Aug-2006, 11:42 PM
Kill Bill, while different, isn't something truly great in my eyes. It's a nice enough film, but neither the first or the second one reach up to the greatness that Quentin Tarantino has made in the past. Part 1 in particular has some pacing problems.

Fulcifan91
28-Aug-2006, 12:00 AM
Four Rooms
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Jackie brown
From Dusk Til Dawn

i LOVE natural born killers, one of my favorite non-zombie/non-extreme gore films.

Danny
28-Aug-2006, 12:37 AM
I am having a Tarantino Marathon until 10:00pm then I break for 30 mins to watch Entuorage on HBO, then back to Tarantino films.

So Far today I have watched

Four Rooms
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Jackie brown
From Dusk Til Dawn
and I am finishing the night with my Fave film PULP FICTION! :D Which should keep me up til 7am or so. :D

This is the second time since Last year I have done an all day Tarantino Marathon, and it will be another year before I do another. :p

wierd me and a few college mates are currently takeing a break from a long takeshi mike mrathon.

...and i intorduced my stoner freind to excel saga, which was as he described "confusing.....man".

oh on that note if you thought audition was bad watch the needle scene in his masters of horror ep, imprint, *shudders* first time since i was 5 i had to look away from horror.

Trancelikestate
28-Aug-2006, 03:56 AM
I have the Japanese & US release of the film on DVD. The Crazy 88 fight doesn't go black & white on my Japanese version, It stays in color. I also have the US release which I enjoy because I love the B&W sequence... don't ask me why. I even have the DVD screener for the DEVIL's Rejects from Lion's Gate and because it is a screener it goes B&W from time to time and I got so used to watching it that way I rarely watch my UNRATED version DVD I grab the screener.
i think it's that way cuz i heard it was the american censorship. there was too much blood so it had to be black and white. :D

MinionZombie
28-Aug-2006, 11:40 AM
I simply can't decide! I like them both, they're both excellent flicks and I like both separate styles in both movies. Two great flicks, shame about the dull DVD releases, I expected a lot more on that front from a Tarantino work. That said, the films still rock.

LouCipherr
28-Aug-2006, 11:55 AM
Well, I liked them both, but vol. 1 was the best. It had the most action compared to part 2, and I just love the storyline.

What's weird is, Uma Thurman never did a thing for me... that is, 'till she became a badass with a samurai sword - then suddenly she jumped into 'hottie' status on my list. :D

general tbag
28-Aug-2006, 12:08 PM
kill bill was worse than jackie brown that was one stinker of a movie

couldnt agree more, i waited for both kill bills to come out and watched them back to back. it some good parts, but not his best work. i really think for the sake of making more money it was extended into 2 films. it all could of been cut together in 2.5-3 hour movie.

bassman
28-Aug-2006, 12:24 PM
Kill Bill, while different, isn't something truly great in my eyes. It's a nice enough film, but neither the first or the second one reach up to the greatness that Quentin Tarantino has made in the past. Part 1 in particular has some pacing problems.

My thoughts exactly. "Kill Bill" was more of just an homage film for Tarantino. He just wanted to tip his hat at some of his favorite films and characters.(Hatori Hanzo, etc, etc).

It's nothing compared to "Reservoir Dogs", "Pulp Fiction", "From Dusk Till Dawn", and "True Romance". I'm a lot more excited about "Grindhouse", than I ever was for "Kill Bill".

But anyway....to answer the question/poll: Volume 2 wins for me. Vol. 1 was nothing but crazy action and blood....hardly any plot. Plus, I loved Robert Rodriquez's score on Vol. 2.

LouCipherr
28-Aug-2006, 01:21 PM
But anyway....to answer the question/poll: Volume 2 wins for me. Vol. 1 was nothing but crazy action and blood....hardly any plot.

Interesting... that's the main reason I liked Vol. 1. :D

DjfunkmasterG
28-Aug-2006, 01:40 PM
Interesting... that's the main reason I liked Vol. 1. :D

I thought the blood & gore were way over the top, but hey it is a Tarantino film so it is supposed to be, right?

I think Part was better as far as pacing the movie moved more quickly, but after much thought The chapter dealing with her training with PAI MEI in VOl 2. was probably the best overall story chapter of the film. Vol. 1 was just a better movie.

LouCipherr
28-Aug-2006, 01:56 PM
I thought the blood & gore were way over the top, but hey it is a Tarantino film so it is supposed to be, right?

Interesting.. that's the other reason I liked Vol. 1. :D :p

VegoTheUnholy
28-Aug-2006, 05:00 PM
I like both the films, cause I used to be really into Kung fu. I like the way he incorporated the whole honor of old Japenese culture in with modern society. Tastefully done I might add.

DjfunkmasterG
30-Aug-2006, 03:26 PM
I really enjoy the fact he referenced Bruce Lee and Enter the Dragon quite a bit. I always like Martial arts movies, but Bruce Lee's films were great because the action was fast, and not bogged down by tradition like some films.