PDA

View Full Version : I hate Disk Defrag...

DjfunkmasterG
30-Aug-2006, 03:42 PM
Normally I do this at night, but I was rendering some footage for the film so I had to do that at night, but damn is this not the slowest aspect of WIndows System tools ever.

It has been 2 hours and it is still moving files. I have 20gb of 200gb partitioned just for the operating system and essential software and These are SATA HDD's and should be screaming with speed at this point. The disc clean-up was even slow, and I do this kind of maintenance once a week, but usually at night So I never knew it took this long... ARRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad:

Danny
30-Aug-2006, 04:24 PM
nah macafee virus scan is way worse every time i try to use a program while it works i get the infuriating "program is not responding:mad:

LouCipherr
30-Aug-2006, 07:55 PM
Well, there's a lot holding you back from a speedy defrag - like, what, three 300gb drives filled with footage of the movie? :lol:

One thing I do before I defrag is to run Acronis Privacy Expert (or some other file clean-up program) and delete everything in my internet cache and all the 'useless' files on my system. From there, I go through the HD and make sure there's nothing left on there that doesn't need to be (in other words, I burn off the 10 dvd's i'm storing on there and delete the files.. :D). Then, I run a registry cleaner. Once I do all that, then I defrag.

It helps defrag from taking more time than needed to do it's job by keeping it from moving around useless and non-needed files. ;)

Don't worry, I feel your pain. I have one 80gb and one 160gb drive and the 160gb one takes flippin' FOREVER to defrag. Since I put my operating system on a partition of only 10gb by itself, it defrags lightning fast - the rest of 'em take quite a while. :D

Neil
30-Aug-2006, 09:23 PM
It's not unknown for virus checkers to slow down defrags (or even fool defrags into re-dragging etc...)

ps: You don't need to defrag once a week surely? Every 3-4 months would surely be OK?

LouCipherr
30-Aug-2006, 09:36 PM
Agreed. My AV program does slow down my defrag - even makes it start over at times, which really pisses me off.

As far as weekly maintenance and Dj - I dunno, with the way he uses his computer to dump footage from the camera for the movie, rendering of clips & files, editing in Sony Vegas, etc, etc - that might fragment that drive pretty badly and quick. For us average peoples, a few months is perfectly normal - but when has anyone considered Dj "normal"? :D

I seen the ways he abuses his computer, and I'm not surprised at all for the need of weekly defrags.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MinionZombie
31-Aug-2006, 10:18 AM
Weekly defrags? Damn, I've defragged my computer once since I got it, ha! Mainly because I simply can't free up 15 gigs of space on the drive, it just can't be done damn youze! :eek:

Eyebiter
31-Aug-2006, 12:19 PM
Try a program called Diskkeeper, it defrags the hard drive in the background while your PC is on.

http://www.diskeeper.com/