PDA

View Full Version : Metallica fans

general tbag
31-Aug-2006, 01:34 AM
i normally dont care for metallica and there new stuff, but the new live stuff released is old skool metallica at there finest. check it out.

MikePizzoff
31-Aug-2006, 04:31 AM
Ehhhhh.............

I'll wait until it's actually recorded to make a final decision.

On the plus side: Rick Rubin will be producing the next album!!!!

general tbag
31-Aug-2006, 05:04 AM
oh it the new itunes live stuff released btw

LouCipherr
31-Aug-2006, 11:48 AM
heh, people can claim their stuff is "old school" just like they hailed St. Anus...errr...St. Anger was going to be, and what did we get? A collection of HORRIBLE songs sung by someone who can't sing anymore, and backed by a sucky drummer banging on trashcan lids, pots & pans.

I used to be one of the biggest metallica fans out there - when they were pioneers of the genere. Now, they should just retire before they dig their grave even deeper than it already is.

I do NOT expect them to pull a rabbit outta their hat this time. People just need to accept the fact that they're done. Money & fame = loss of the hunger & desire/drive to make it to the top - which is exactly what happened to them.

F*ck Metallica. Never seen a band screw over their fans worse than this band. :mad:

LC

MikePizzoff
31-Aug-2006, 11:57 AM
I don't know what happened to James. I suppose he tore his vocal chords and they never repaired themselves or something because you're right, Lou, he can't ****ing sing worth a **** any more. Whenever I watch any of their recent live footage I cringe from the fact that he basically just TALKS LOUD, instead of singing, through all of the songs.

Waiting for people to flame "When did he ever sing?"

On a side note: I was at the only free show Metallica has ever done. Right here in the city of brotherly love on November 11, 1997. That was a good time because their set consisted of mostly old material, from what I remember.

LouCipherr
31-Aug-2006, 12:21 PM
Well, see, the problem I have with Jaymz isn't that he can't sing anymore, it's that he "tries" to sing instead of what he does best, which is bark out the lyrics like an angry, rabid f*cking pitbull like he did up 'till the black album. After that, he attempted to "sing" which is not what he's good at. The worst part is, now when you see them live, he takes those old songs and instead of barking out the lyrics like he used to, now he tries to "sing" these old songs and tries to carry some kind of melody to songs that never had a melody to begin with.

Ugh, this is a real sore spot for me. I should just stop posting now before I fill up 20 pages of rants on how good they used to be and the sorry state this band is in now. :(

LC

bassman
31-Aug-2006, 12:27 PM
Yeah....I've never liked their older stuff. But the "St. Anus",:lol: as Lou put it, was absolute crap. I think I can honestly say that I've never heard an album that was worse than that. Even rap....and I hate rap.

But yeah....to me, Metallica has always been wannabe musicians that the masses seem to just gobble up. Their stuff is generic and repetitive. Oh well...to each his own.

"I'm highly in anga witch yoooouuu!":lol:

MikePizzoff
31-Aug-2006, 12:37 PM
But yeah....to me, Metallica has always been wannabe musicians that the masses seem to just gobble up. Their stuff is generic and repetitive. Oh well...to each his own.

Kill Em All (Metal Up Your Ass) wasn't gobbled up by the masses, at all. That was the first definitive thrash album, ever. Music that people thought wouldn't last more than a few records because it was "just noise". My parents actually saw them on that tour and said the venues they were playing were tiny bars to crowds of about 100 people.

Ride The Lightning didn't do so great among, either. I mean, they were doing extremely well, but they weren't playing arenas or anything, yet.

It really wasn't until Master Of Puppets that the band finally hit the arena-era. That's when the masses of METAL HEADS were eating them up, but not the general public. But, their music was still THEIR music... not the record executives of big labels.

And Justice... still their music. They didn't do much to "please the masses", per se, but they were getting good recognition.

It wasn't until The Black Album that they really became a house hold name and the genreal public went crazy over them. This is also the album that they decided "Lets stop writing good music with actual emotion and technicality and aggression. Lets just write stuff that could get on Top 40."

That's when they lost me, among half of their fanbase.

This turned into something longer than I wanted it to... but it's my birthday and I can do what I want! :elol:

LouCipherr
31-Aug-2006, 12:40 PM
Well, the one thing that can't be said about them is that they're terrible musicians. I mean, they may write sh*t songs nowadays, but in the early days, James Hetfield along with Dave Mustaine created a playing style on guitar that is still heavily imitated to this day. Hell, it basically created a new sound in metal. Back when they were playing at high speeds and muting chords to create the "power-riffs" (dunno what else to call it) on their early albums, they pioneered that kind of playing... no one did it before them.... but it all went to hell in a handbasket when you introduce tons of money and fame. The hunger is gone, plain and simple, and it shows.

LC

bassman
31-Aug-2006, 12:44 PM
Well, the one thing that can't be said about them is that they're terrible musicians. I mean, they may write sh*t songs nowadays, but in the early days, James Hetfield along with Dave Mustaine created a playing style on guitar that is still heavily imitated to this day. Hell, it basically created a new sound in metal. Back when they were playing at high speeds and muting chords to create the "power-riffs" (dunno what else to call it) on their early albums, they pioneered that kind of playing... no one did it before them.... but it all went to hell in a handbasket when you introduce tons of money and fame. The hunger is gone, plain and simple, and it shows.

LC

I'm not trying to say you're wrong or anything(I've got friends who like them - It's just my opinion that they're over-rated) but......I think you're referring to "Power chords". And if this IS what you're talking about.....they weren't the first to use them. Not by far.

Hell....just as a good contrast: Chuck Berry and The Beatles were using power chords long before Metallica were even an itch their daddy's pants.

p2501
31-Aug-2006, 12:46 PM
Sorry the words "metallica" and "fans" when combined still amuses me to now end.

like "christian" and "scientist"

LouCipherr
31-Aug-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm not trying to say you're wrong or anything(I've got friends who like them - It's just my opinion that they're over-rated) but......I think you're referring to "Power chords". And if this IS what you're talking about.....they weren't the first to use them. Not by far.

Hell....just as a good contrast: Chuck Berry and The Beatles were using power chords long before Metallica were even an itch their daddy's pants.

No, i'm not talking about "power chords" - the root/5th chord has been around since the inception of music (you're talking to a schooled guitarist of 25 years here), but the way that those power chords were used - heavily muted with the right hand and played at aggressive speeds - is something that wasn't pioneered until Mustaine and Hetfield hit the scene with the early inception of Metallica. I'm well aware that many people used the root/5th 'power chord' long before metallica, it's the way it was used that was a pioneering event and gave birth to an entire new movement or 'style' of music.

p2501
31-Aug-2006, 12:51 PM

LC

yes and no. Hammet is insanely talented, as was cliff burton and james hetfeild. Newstead wasn't half bad, when he wasn't being given the short stick by the rest of the band. Ulrich on the other hand brings nothing to the table.

general tbag
31-Aug-2006, 12:52 PM
Sorry the words "metallica" and "fans" when combined still amuses me to now end.

like "christian" and "scientist"

:lol:

yea after theblack album they took a dump as artists, and then the whole napster crap they got involved in.

the live stuff is ''justice for all'' time frame , playing alot of the old albums.

LouCipherr
31-Aug-2006, 12:54 PM
yes and no. Hammet is insanely talented, as was cliff burton and james hetfeild. Newstead wasn't half bad, when he wasn't being given the short stick by the rest of the band. Ulrich on the other hand brings nothing to the table.

You'll notice that I never mentioned Lars. He's a friggin' moron who should've been replaced years ago.

mista_mo
31-Aug-2006, 08:05 PM
I've never much been into metalica...didn't think too much of them as musicians..now that i've listened to more of the ir stuff, I came to the conclusion that they're passable (I love that ol' song whisky in a jar O')

oh, and there are christian scientists BTW.

Adrenochrome
31-Aug-2006, 08:09 PM
You'll notice that I never mentioned Lars. He's a friggin' moron who should've been replaced years ago.

Lars is a whiney, little bitch!
"back in the day", Metalica was known to us "heads" by the boots. Pass the Tapes!!!
Then, Lars started whining.
F*ck Lars!

These guys jumped the wagon a looong time ago.

Danny
31-Aug-2006, 09:52 PM
y'know im into slayer and all that but as mutch as ive tried metallica are so boring sounding like background music or sumething and there the only big metal band i just cant stand listening to.:bored:

MikePizzoff
01-Sep-2006, 06:03 PM
y'know im into slayer and all that but as mutch as ive tried metallica are so boring sounding like background music or sumething and there the only big metal band i just cant stand listening to.:bored:

Dude, you obviously haven't listened to the first three albums ever. If you like Slayer, there is absolutely no reason to dislike early Metallica.

Go out and buy Ride The Lightning. And if you're skeptical of doing that, download the song "Trapped Under Ice". That will surely change your mislead mind of thinking they're "background music".

Danny
02-Sep-2006, 03:03 AM
allready heard em i got most of there cds off a freind, and since the only song i liked was enter sandman...if they did do that one i promptly gave em back.:bored:

MikePizzoff
02-Sep-2006, 07:29 PM
allready heard em i got most of there cds off a freind, and since the only song i liked was enter sandman...if they did do that one i promptly gave em back.:bored:

Uh... if you only liked Enter Sandman......... I'm not even going to say it.

Okay, I will.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?! THAT IS A ****ING HORRIBLE SONG/ALBUM!!!

By this I can easily assume you're a fan of Undisputed Attitude, Diabolus In Musica, and God Hates Us All.

p2501
02-Sep-2006, 08:55 PM

your right.

after i got into Pantera/biohazard/slayer, Metallica became pussy music.