PDA

View Full Version : DS vs PSP - two years on

Rottedfreak
31-Aug-2006, 06:19 PM
Technically they aren't competing but mags, gamers and so on say otherwise.
Any thoughts on the future for either? Any thoughts on the current hardware and software for both?

general tbag
31-Aug-2006, 06:53 PM
Technically they aren't competing but mags, gamers and so on say otherwise.
Any thoughts on the future for either? Any thoughts on the current hardware and software for both?

nintendo has the upper hand. technology is only as good when you can get it into peoples hands. the big one being price, something the ds can beat the psp.

myself i strongly believe in 5 years nintendo cell phones will reign. no more contracts, no nothing,. with voip and nintendo already going to incorporate it into ds games , it just a matter of time.

the psp does have life as a entertainment unit.the 2,0 looks good but the memory card slot really sucks.

Danny
31-Aug-2006, 09:37 PM
i gotta agree i used to think the ds was a pile of crap but its just going from strength to strength, cus it was meant to be a thrid pillar with the cube/wii and the sp but whos bought a gba game if they own a ds?.

as for psp everyone i know wasted 400 buying one and some umds back when it launched and havent bought a thing for it since, there really a waste of money in my opinion since even the gizmondo did all the media stuff and all the games for the psp suck, ever played THUG 2 on it compared to even the xbox version?, the controls just dont work.

RIP PSP:skull:

DeadJonas190
05-Sep-2006, 03:39 AM
The PSP just keeps losing support, from movie companies dropping support of the UMD format to games being canceled for it. I really don't think it will last too much longer unless Sony ramps up the quality of the games and makes some original games for it as now all I see are remakes of games for $50... which is a little too much for my liking. There are also a lot of things the PSP is capable of doing, but how much of it is actually being used. It seems to the that the PSP has a lot to offer, but it is being massively under-utilized. I also find it funny that I keep hearing about more people using their PSP's to play roms of older games over the actual PSP games.

The DS on the other hand keeps producing fun games at affordable prices. It is rare to find a DS game priced over $35 and the system itself does a lot. Granted it doesn't have the same functionality as the PSP, but the DS actually has games that use all of it's functions. The fact that the DS can play all of the Gameboy Advance games is also very cool (especially since I have such a large amount of them).

Basically, what it comes down to is that as of now, with it's lower cost and better library of games the Nintendo DS is a much better purchase than the PSP. Unless Sony does something to ramp up their games, I don't see the PSP lasting much longer.

Rottedfreak, why do you say "Technically they aren't competing"? They clearly are competing with the DS being the dominant system on the market (having sold 21 million units with the PSP shipping [not selling] only 20 million units).

darth los
05-Sep-2006, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I like how sony slips in that "shipping line to make it sound as if they are right on nintendo's ass. :shifty: Another problem is that as was said there are many things that the psp can do but the add-ons and such are too expensive. Yeah you can watch movies and store music on your memory stick but that will be 200 dollars please. You can take it on the road but that'll be 100 dollars for the theater system. A case is also a must. That psp screen sure is beautiful and shiny but true to murphy's law it'll get scratched about ten minutes after you buy it so that'll be 30 bucks for a case please. Top that off with the outrageous cost of new umds and you have to basically pay triple what you did for the psp. WTF is that? Add that to everything that was already posted and it's a disaster for sony. Sony is so arrogant. I mean who thought it would be a good idea to charge 20 bucks for a umd. Sony obviously has no clue and unless blue ray takes off they are gonna take a big hit with the psp also. If you notice the descision by nintendo to develop the wii was a direct result of the ds' success. If the ds had flopped no way would there be a wii. They saw that the public was interested in playing games in a different way. Sony must learn from it's psp experience but i don't think they will. Everyone complains about how expensive the psp is and what does sony do? "O.K. guys let's come out with a 600 dollar system which is the most expensive of the next - gen consoles" and then come out with arrogant statements like " we'll sell 5 million units without even having any games". It reminds me of the dave chappelle line " I'm rick James byatch!". Their's is " We're Sony byatch!" They are making it really hard to like them and have lost alot due to their arrogance just like when nintendo was the top dog and thought they were the shiznit. They had to learn the hard way and so will sony.

Rottedfreak
05-Sep-2006, 08:07 PM
Sony's advertising campaign for the PSP is points against it to. When white PSPs were released in the Netherlands they had a ad showing a white woman grappling a black woman by the neck.

Danny
05-Sep-2006, 10:10 PM
good lord really?, they truly are digging there own graves...

p2501
06-Sep-2006, 01:59 PM
The PSP just keeps losing support, from movie companies dropping support of the UMD format to games being canceled for it. I really don't think it will last too much longer unless Sony ramps up the quality of the games and makes some original games for it as now all I see are remakes of games for $50... which is a little too much for my liking. There are also a lot of things the PSP is capable of doing, but how much of it is actually being used. It seems to the that the PSP has a lot to offer, but it is being massively under-utilized. I also find it funny that I keep hearing about more people using their PSP's to play roms of older games over the actual PSP games.

The DS on the other hand keeps producing fun games at affordable prices. It is rare to find a DS game priced over $35 and the system itself does a lot. Granted it doesn't have the same functionality as the PSP, but the DS actually has games that use all of it's functions. The fact that the DS can play all of the Gameboy Advance games is also very cool (especially since I have such a large amount of them).

Basically, what it comes down to is that as of now, with it's lower cost and better library of games the Nintendo DS is a much better purchase than the PSP. Unless Sony does something to ramp up their games, I don't see the PSP lasting much longer.

Rottedfreak, why do you say "Technically they aren't competing"? They clearly are competing with the DS being the dominant system on the market (having sold 21 million units with the PSP shipping [not selling] only 20 million units).

i have to agree with alot of this. Short of "Infected" i haven't found any original games for the PSP that are worth a damn. having said that, i'm still going to buy monkey ball, and katamari to see how they fare. but other than that the only games i carry with me are the "collections" series.

However it does merit being mentioned that if you can overcome the bull**** formatting issues PSP video requires. the PSP is a damn snazzy audio and video handheld. it's battery life is excellent. and it's ergonomics are supreb. If the PSP truely suffers from any failings it's the lack of support Sony has shown it, and the pricing it's been shackled with.

i'm curious to see if the rumors of a redesigned and updated PSP coming in early 2007 will be true. alot ot the changes that are hinted at eliminate all of the issues people commonly site when bitching about the PSP.

I can't really comment on the DS as i haven't purchased one yet. what i will say is Nintendo has never dropped the ball on any of their systems, especially their handhelds. i cannot imagine this trend will ever deviate.

darth los
06-Sep-2006, 05:28 PM
what i will say is Nintendo has never dropped the ball on any of their systems, especially their handhelds. i cannot imagine this trend will ever deviate.

Anyone remember the " Virtual boy"? :confused:

p2501
06-Sep-2006, 05:30 PM
dude, i liked the virtual boy.

lack of games killed that thing nothing else.

runs off to ebay to price check virtual boys.............

Danny
06-Sep-2006, 11:33 PM
really i thought it was cus it gave kids seisures.

p2501
07-Sep-2006, 01:13 PM
it did?

that would explain all those times i woke up with a foamy mouth and pee in my pants.......

seriously though, i've never heard about that issue.

Rottedfreak
07-Sep-2006, 07:03 PM
The Pokemon cartoon gave kids seizures (it was that big thing about 700 japanese kids in 1997 though I don't recall anyone bringing that up during the western craze in late '98). The Virtual Boy gave headaches after gaming sessions.

One minor gripe with the DS is the low resolution of both the screens, and some games look poor due to the ommision of texture filtering.

Danny
08-Sep-2006, 12:50 AM
oh yeah that was the porygon episode i think...what? i was 11 when pokemon came out:D .

but yeah the virtual boy gave tons of gids seziures and my uncles best freind had a major one cus of it, but being over 40 in the 90's they couldnt pronounce the names of games consoles so he told her it was the gameboy that caused em so i didnt get one for years.....till pokemon red came out as a matter of fact.

hseiken
20-Sep-2006, 09:35 PM
just bought my black DSlite..who'd have thought that Nintendo could make a sexier black handheld?

Anyway, the psp was too slow out of the gate with good games. The DS hit the ground running with classics and brand new titles that were innovative and above all, fun. Then throw in the price, the nintendo brand name (not to knock the sony brand) and the new gamestyles...I don't think they're really competing either because if you look at the libraries of both, you'll see that PSP has lots of mature subject matter for it's games and a good majority of them are damn near ps2 ports, wheras the DS seems to be focusing on the entire spectrum of player and being more experimental with it's games using the touch screen. If the DS started doing straight console style games with mature themes, THEN they'd be competing. It's doubtful you'll see GTA: Stab Master J on the DS. I was actually suprised at the resident evil release myself.

The one thing I think would look better in gamers eyes, though, would be if nintendo put some kind of finger in the dyke so to speak to keep all the mediocre childrens games from flooding the market. I got really tired of seeing this happen on the GBA. You'd see 3 or 4 must buys admist a sea of mediocre sidescrolling cartoon network and bratz games. If they were at least innovative on some level, it would be a different story. I guess, though at least the crap games are easy to spot for DS, though...for PSP it's kind of a hit or miss...you plunk down 50 bucks and hope you don't get a stinker.

Rottedfreak
21-Sep-2006, 09:06 AM
What would you rather pay for:
DS - £100
Games - £30
killer apps: New Super Mario Bros, Metroid Hunters, Final Dantasy 3 DS,

PSP - £180
Games - £35+
Memory Card - £50 - £150
Killer aps: Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Wipout Pure, Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories

Forthcoming:
March 2007 (?)
Playstation 3 - £425
Games - £50-60
Killer aps: Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy 13, Resident Evil 5 (only dead certs)
Tagline: The games you want, same controls and gameplay weve had for ten years now and you get a blu Ray player that costs £1000 thrown in for free

8th December 2006
Wii - £180
Games - £35 - £40
Memory card - ?
Killer aps: Zelda, Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (only dead certs)
Tagline: Something back to basics but different. No gimmicks beyond Wiiconnect24.

hseiken
21-Sep-2006, 06:36 PM
I go where the good games are. Simple philosophy, hasn't steered me wrong, except when Neo Geo Pocket's SNK decided to pull out WAY too early. They had awesome game after awesome game and then killed themselves by ending support in less than a year. Sad. Metal Slug 2nd Mission, SNKvs.Capcom Card Fighter Clash, King of Fighters, etc. I seriously didn't play a single game that sucked for that system. Plus, it had the cool thumb joystick which felt really nice, especially on action games.

So yeah, go where your thumbs tell you to go. Unless you're broke, then go where your wallet tells you to. Either way, Nintendo has you by the jewels.