PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare City

EvilNed
01-Sep-2006, 08:15 PM
Anyone see this old... "goldie"? It's some co-production between Italy, Spain and Mexico and features lots of crazy zombie action. The production is sub-par in every aspect, but it's still pretty fun to watch.

It begins when a mysterious plane lands on the airport of a southern town somewhere (I think it's in the US). Out from the doors spew dozens of nasty murderous super zombies that are fast, smart and can operate just like regular people (except for speach). The first thing a zombie does is plunge a knife into the commanding officer of the airfied while another one knocks out a soldier, takes his sub-machine gun and sprays down a charge of military men.

Our main character is a journalist who was there to pick up a scientist but gets stuck in this new nightmare instead. He flees the field and goes back to his TV station. But since the viewers would rathers watch an ensemble of lightly clad female dancers than hear groundbreaking news that could very well save their lives, our journalist is cut off the air.

Meanwhile, the zombies rampage through the city, invading a hospital, the previously mentioned TV-station and the private residences of various people. The techniques used by the zombies vary depending wether its a man or woman who are their prey. Men, they stab in the gut or strangle or slash their throat. Women, they treat differently. The zombie handbook probably delivered detailed instructions, in a step-by-step manor on how to kill a lady. First, rip open her shirt and expose her breasts (the women in this little town don't wear bras). Then, stab their breasts with your knives. Then, drink blood from this wound.

At the end of the film, you're a bit surprised. Not really in a good way, but at least the ending is different from most other zombie films. But the best part is of course when the journalist manages to dispose of more zombies in one scene than the entire army managed to do during the entire film. Those journalists sure know how to fire off those headshots. It should actually be noted that even though the army is informed that a headshot to these things is lethal very early in the film, there's a maximum of 5 dead zombies before the climax. And three of those were off screen.

The effects are crap, for the most part, and while the zombie makeup is sometimes good, it is also sometimes very bad. It's funny sometimes to see a running, bloodthristy zombie running around with his entire face mutated into a big bulge of radioactivity and blood dripping from his mouth, but his shirt and tie remain in tip top shape with not an ounce of blood or dirt on them. It's as if the zombies made a point to run around in clean business suits, just to impress their victims.

The film is very fast-paced, and I imagine anyone who liked the action of the remake of Dawn of the Dead will like this one as well. It's of course, very stupid and the editing is atrocious sometimes. There's a cut right in the middle of a take once, to another take of the exact same scene! In one take, it's cloudy and in the next take it's sunny. But even so, the film does manage to pull off a few atmospheric scenes. Mostly when you just know the zombies are lurking about, sneaking in the bushes, and you're just waiting for them to pounce. There's a few of those scenes, which may make this one of the only zombie films to actually have put me on edge from time to time.

I bought the film today, along with The Beyond. haven't seen that one yet, tho. I heard it's good... But it might be crap. And just to make things clear, Nightmare City was crap too. It was just entertaining crap.

slickwilly13
01-Sep-2006, 08:35 PM
The Beyond is a good gore fest. Fulci's best in my opinion.

axlish
01-Sep-2006, 08:59 PM
I just watched Nighmare City again about two weeks ago. I like the flick for what it is, Eurotrash that is so bad it is good.

You should like the Beyond, it is quite effective and doesn't hold back on teh gore.

If you like Eurotrash in the same vein as Nightmare City, check out Hell of the Living Dead directed by Bruno Mattei :)

Fulcifan91
01-Sep-2006, 09:16 PM
Sorry to say this, but the "zombies" in Nightmare City are not zombies. Explained by Umberto Lenzi, they are infected people, with a thirst for blood that keeps them alive, cause by a nuclear meltdown, (if i remember correctly)

I personally like it alot, but i like italian horror much more than most american horror, excluding George Romero. But I would have to say that Fulci is my favorite director.

Also, I person like the Italian title- Incubation of a Contaminated City.

Axlish- great suggestion, Hell of the Living Dead, AKA "Night of the Zombies" is another favorite of mine.

EvilNed- If you are looking for gore, watch some of the guinea pig films, some of the best effects ever in a movie. Also (if your not already) get familiar with Fulci's work, very good effects in fulci films.

EvilNed
01-Sep-2006, 10:30 PM
yeah, they're not really zombies. But they look like them, and they might as well be. I mean, that radiation ought to have killed them. Somehow. Maybe...

As for Fulci, I've seen Zombie Flesh Eaters. I think it's crap. But I heard such good things about Beyond, and it was cheap. I picked it up.

Danny
02-Sep-2006, 03:12 AM
Sorry to say this, but the "zombies" in Nightmare City are not zombies. Explained by Umberto Lenzi, they are infected people, with a thirst for blood that keeps them alive, cause by a nuclear meltdown, (if i remember correctly)

niether are the sick people in reisdent evil or 28 days later, but there all zombies too dammit!:mad:

Purge
02-Sep-2006, 07:06 AM
AKA City of the Walking Dead--one of the worst zombie films ever excreted.

Fulcifan91
02-Sep-2006, 03:23 PM
As for Fulci, I've seen Zombie Flesh Eaters. I think it's crap. But I heard such good things about Beyond, and it was cheap. I picked it up.

What don't you like about it?

Also, did you pick up the cheap, and CUT american version, The Seven Doors of Death? Or did yhou actually get 'The BeyOnd'

EvilNed
02-Sep-2006, 04:16 PM
I got The Beyond. I'm not in the US, so I think it's pretty hard to find that one you mentioned here. :) I made sure that all the films I got were Uncut, before I bought them. When I watched Nightmare City, I thought there was a slight cut when a zombie bit down on a policemans neck, but since no other death was ever cut, and that one wasn't even particulary gory compared to the rest of the film I realize that it's probably just bad editing.

Zombie Flesh Eaters was to me just a low-par film throughout. It was dull, had a plot that hardly kept you interested. Yet, for the first 50-60 minutes, the plot was all the film had as there was no action whatsoever (except for the slightly cool, but definetly not intense or scary, shark scene). Add to that, every shot in the film consists of extreme closeups of people. There are rarely any other shots which makes it difficult to follow at times.

Not a good film in any way, I'd say.

Danny
03-Sep-2006, 03:50 AM
AKA City of the Walking Dead--one of the worst zombie films ever excreted.

vampires vs. zombies, watch it and you'll agree...why a lesbian scene for christ' sake?!?:rolleyes: