PDA

View Full Version : Lost Season 2 questions *Spoilers*

Scott
06-Sep-2006, 04:19 PM
I just finished up the DVDs for season 2 and had a few questions.

1.) What exactly did using the key in the hatch do? I think he said it would destroy the hatch and they wouldn't have to enter the numbers anymore. If true, why did he not do it years ago?

2.) If the "system failure" caused the crash of the plane, how would "the others" have known it was going to crash. Obviously Walt and Aaron are important to them, so I figured they caused the crash. Or did they not know the importance until after the plane had already crashed?

p2501
06-Sep-2006, 05:25 PM
1) my take on it, is the key proceedure purges the "build up" of energy that not entering the numbers allows to build up. I see it as the larger issues it what is the magnetic anomoly that is behind the welded door.

The MA basicly builds up a charge, due to some form of agitation. every 108 minutes that charge needs to be disappated, hence the computer system, with the key turn as a failsafe.

Alternatively and my overall theory is that the MA is some manner of cloaking device/field. which either masks the island from the outside world, or moves it out of our "space time".

As for why desmond didn't perform the key trun earlier, he stated that he thought it was a self destruct mechanism. that would destroy the complex if not the entire island.

as for #2, i have no idea. i'm curious as to how this is going to be explained.

Neil
06-Sep-2006, 08:33 PM
I have an explanation...

There is no explanation...

The writers write what ever seems cool, without the requirement for any fundamental plot or threads hampering them...

Where did the funny smoke beast come from... Where did the polar bear come from... Why are people healing fast... Why are people's dead relatives appearing... Why are there four toed statues... Why are there hot air balloons in trees...

Because it makes good episodes... Nothing more...

That could be the answer...

...I hope it's not the case, but I fear it may well be :(

Rottedfreak
07-Sep-2006, 07:16 AM
I get the impression they are making it all up as they go along as well. By the last episode there will be the final revelation and people will reflect back and go "wait a minute that totally conflicts with what happened in... that contradicts... then how did... why did... "

Cykotic
07-Sep-2006, 10:57 AM
...and so the LOST backlash begins...

Danny
07-Sep-2006, 11:22 AM
i hate lost with a passion but there not makeing it up as they go along, i know the hack writers have mixed 1 book ,1 movie, and one play together and i piss my brother off by sitting in the room and giving a commentary on stuff before it happens ...till my family gets so pissed at me they scream for me to "PISS OFF!".

ill just say this, notice how they all had a problem in there life, no one was "happy"....ill say no more:sneaky: ...

MinionZombie
07-Sep-2006, 02:05 PM
If I was in your house watching Lost I'd tell you to piss off too. :lol:

I think Lost is a great show, not up to 24 standards (you can't beat some Bauer!), but when Lost is on a roll it's on a damn good roll. Now all we need is for the damn studio to show it without breaks, take a leaf out of 24's book!

The writers will have an idea where they want to be going, but the details won't be filled in at all, a good writer is always surprised themselves by what happens in the end (not sure who said that, but it was a known writer). Like with 24, they said themselves they often write themselves into a corner and they have to struggle to think of a way out of that corner - which is good actually, because that's where you big-ass cliff hangers come from. It's also the stuff that makes for a more realistic show, what with Jack getting into all sorts of scrapes and near-misses...

Scott
07-Sep-2006, 02:27 PM
Yeah, in one of the specials on the 7th disk they pointed out that all of the people have nothing major to return to, and that all of them won't really be missed at home. They also said they will not "bitch out" by doing a "ohh it was all a dream type ending, and that they do have somewhat of a plan. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I still think it's one of the best shows on television.

Adrenochrome
07-Sep-2006, 02:35 PM
is this the show about the survivors of a plane wreck?

CivilDefense
07-Sep-2006, 02:35 PM
Hella spoilers, if you dont want to read them, DONT!

ill just say this, notice how they all had a problem in there life, no one was "happy"....ill say no more:sneaky: ...

most of the people who are left, have committed murder, or by inaction or a god complex have killed. Except for hugo and sun and possibly locke. I have a feeling they dont belong there. I think the "others" are actually the good people.

The polar bear was created by "walt" and his powers as it was created by him reading about the polar bear in his comic book. I believe the smoke is the same way created by the others. They are powerful mentalists, as you remember whenever they are close, they can hear talking in their heads. I think they are reading the mind of the players, and trying to take away the good ones, the ones they have taken already, walt, and as the capitive said, to take locke as well.

I dont think this is hell, as they were brought to the island with a purpose, if you will notice, the psychic who meets with claire, appears at least a half dozen times, at the airport bar, speaking korean in the bathroom, working on the ladder with hugo, he somehow guided them to the flight.

The hatch istn fake, the magnetism is real, it prevents the blasts that are created, the key was thought to destroy things.. It also has happend before as the two portuguese guys in the antarctic station said. the island is protected by the magnetism somehow.

Is it a real Island? I suspect yes. Its not hell, as the incidences before the flight were real (reappearing characters etc) they were brought to the island.

Yes the science teacher blew the F**K up and that was really cool.

Eh its a decent show, its not some typical reality show crap, so I enjoy it. We will have some folks over to eat nachos for the season premere.

Also there is a ton of crap on the web, research the hanso foundation website, it had tons of hidden links to other pages, the jeep page, sprite, some fake company who help constructed the island. its deep and pretty fun if you are into that sort of thing. there are tons of secret messages and other crap on there. my wife was really into it for a while.

Anyway, as long as they dont kill off Hugo or Locke I will probably watch it.

Geophyrd
07-Sep-2006, 04:41 PM
I've been putting Lost clues up on this board. I'll probably keep putting them up. And here I was doing all this without collecting any rep...lol

The depth of the show is amazing. That it has spawned internet chatter, a book, comic, television ads and even talk show interviews with people that don't exist, etc isn't surprising. They've taken great pains to people a unique place and situation. Their mythology is a big one and growing by the show/season.

I don't think your questions have been answered yet. I do not doubt there are answers forthcoming. But we may have to wait awhile.

Damon Lindoff (sp?) has said that everything in the show is there for a reason. Suspect everything. Go through the show frame by frame sometimes. There's a lot there to find.

For those who aren't digging the show...open your head, eh? It is just as cool as it seems and I don't think you have all the answers. Let yourself get surprised. The show is that good.

Last, comparing Lost to 24 or pretty much any other show (except maybe X-Files which really was a case of making-it-up-as-they-go-and-painting-that corner-way-too-tight) is a 'lost' cause. Lost is pretty unique, an experiment that may fail to fulfill its promise but never fails to surprise.

MinionZombie
07-Sep-2006, 09:27 PM
Just comparing Lost to 24 as they're both part of the new millennium's TV "phase" that is "quality drama" (i.e. hour long serialised drama), also comparing the two because while I think both shows rock, I like Lost a lot, but I absolutely love 24...

Also, like CivilDefense was saying (I was about to post the same theory too, until I read his post, but what they hey), I too noticed that the survivors almost all seem to have either killed or been involved in death in some form ... which leads me to the fan rumour of the island being purgatory ... I hope they don't do that, that'd be sooooo ghey, it's the same level as a dream ... not quite as bad as stepping out of the shower, but still a pretty lameduck ending if that ended up being the case ... although, I guess if it's a 'well known' fanboy rumoured ending, perhaps the writers will avoid it like a verruca.

Chakobsa
07-Sep-2006, 09:47 PM
Just comparing Lost to 24 as they're both part of the new millennium's TV "phase" that is "quality drama" (i.e. hour long serialised drama), also comparing the two because while I think both shows rock, I like Lost a lot, but I absolutely love 24...

Also, like CivilDefense was saying (I was about to post the same theory too, until I read his post, but what they hey), I too noticed that the survivors almost all seem to have either killed or been involved in death in some form ... which leads me to the fan rumour of the island being purgatory ... I hope they don't do that, that'd be sooooo ghey, it's the same level as a dream ... not quite as bad as stepping out of the shower, but still a pretty lameduck ending if that ended up being the case ... although, I guess if it's a 'well known' fanboy rumoured ending, perhaps the writers will avoid it like a verruca.
I just finished Flann O'Briens fine book "The Third Policeman" referenced in the programme and mentioned by the writers as being relevant to the story.
It is, and even if you don't like the show check out the book, funny and chilling by turns.
"Joe had been explaining things in the meantime. He said it was again the beginning of the unfinished, the re-experience of the already suffered, the fresh-forgetting of the unremembered. Hell goes round and round. In shape it is circular and by nature it is interminable, repetitive and very nearly unbearable."
I'm not saying that the show is set in Hell, just that the tone and structure of the book is important. I think that the key themes are guilt,time and synchronicity.

Scott
08-Sep-2006, 02:05 AM
[QUOTE=Chakobsa;34496]I just finished Flann O'Briens fine book "The Third Policeman" referenced in the programme and mentioned by the writers as being relevant to the story.

When was "The Third Policeman" referenced in the show? I'm curious, how does it tie in to the show, if it does at all?

I had read "Bad Twin" (that was being read by Sawyer, Jack burnt the ending), and am seeing no connection to the show except one thing. Supposidly the book is written by someone who was on the plane in the show, but mentions The Widmores, who are actually in the show. So I am kinda confused on that, since the book is supposed to be a fiction book written by a passenger.

ipotts85
08-Sep-2006, 06:40 AM
The polar bear was created by "walt" and his powers as it was created by him reading about the polar bear in his comic book. I believe the smoke is the same way created by the others. They are powerful mentalists, as you remember whenever they are close, they can hear talking in their heads. I think they are reading the mind of the players, and trying to take away the good ones, the ones they have taken already, walt, and as the capitive said, to take locke as well.

if you remember, in the first dharma video, they talk about zoological experiments, and there is a picture of a polar bear. it have already been on the island.

which leads me to the fan rumour of the island being purgatory ... I hope they don't do that, that'd be sooooo ghey,

the writers have said it isn't purgatory

Chakobsa
08-Sep-2006, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=Chakobsa;34496]I just finished Flann O'Briens fine book "The Third Policeman" referenced in the programme and mentioned by the writers as being relevant to the story.

When was "The Third Policeman" referenced in the show? I'm curious, how does it tie in to the show, if it does at all?

I had read "Bad Twin" (that was being read by Sawyer, Jack burnt the ending), and am seeing no connection to the show except one thing. Supposidly the book is written by someone who was on the plane in the show, but mentions The Widmores, who are actually in the show. So I am kinda confused on that, since the book is supposed to be a fiction book written by a passenger.
If I'm remembering it right, Locke is reading the book not long after they get inside the hatch.
Some of the plots and devices used in the show mirror things in the book, for instance in the book there is a mysterious map on the ceiling showing the layout of the strange place that the hero finds himself in, there is a hatch full of miraculous machinery and where two of the policemen sleep because of the way time stands still, the hatch BTW, contains eternity.
All this wierd stuff is happening to a guy who back in the "real world" murdered an old man in order to get hold of his money, so he has some serious stuff to feel guilty about...
There's other stuff in common, but read the book. it's a classic in it's own right.
Also, check out the story of Gilgamesh and his companion Enkidu.
Gilgamesh and Enkidu= Locke and Eko.

CivilDefense
08-Sep-2006, 01:15 PM
if you remember, in the first dharma video, they talk about zoological experiments, and there is a picture of a polar bear. it have already been on the island.

If you assume the comic book was just a co-incidence. I would think that the others would have killed the bear a long time ago. Assuming you think theres logic at work on that ther' island. Possibly the others released it to eat them all but hey.

I just cant believe its a purgatory thing, it just cant be.. that would be the last time I would watch the show.

I think the big feet thing has to be a red herring.. has to be..