PDA

View Full Version : What's the message/commentary?

hseiken
07-Sep-2006, 03:49 PM
A lot of people keep citing blair witch project for the description of the show, but I read something kind of interesting saying something along the lines that a possibility could be of making fun of the 'jackass' culture, i.e. doing stupid stuff on film for your 15 minutes. This would be very nice theme to have right now (just look at ebaum's world, real tv, jackass, etc.).

Another thing I could see as being a 'theme' is just not taking situations seriously. Seems that the kids want to round up zombies for special effects or whatever, rather than take the situation seriously and help solve the problem and will probably end up being part of the problem.

Anyone got any ideas what the satire could be about in this outing?

CivilDefense
07-Sep-2006, 03:58 PM
you know I keep thinking of the extra "andy" video from dawn 04 that was pretty fun, I would enjoy a movie like that.

TheWalkingDude
07-Sep-2006, 04:43 PM
Dont have a clue till i've seen the picture. It could be anything.

EvilNed
07-Sep-2006, 05:24 PM
Then there's always the chance that there won't be a message or commentary.

Svengoolie
07-Sep-2006, 06:22 PM
Actually, this is a good question.

When asked why they enjoy GAR's zombie films, most of the fans posting at this site throw out the canned response of "I'm into them for the social commentary. That's what elevates GAR's work from the rest of the run of the mill zombie flicks--he's got something to say, man!"

But, since word of this project hit the site over a week ago, I haven't seen one of those fans mention the social commentary angle until just now--they've been concentrating on camera angles, plot, and everything else....BUT what they've always maintained is the most important aspect of GAR's zombie flicks.

Just an observation.:D

MinionZombie
07-Sep-2006, 09:40 PM
Any commentary would be in terms of today's technology and the immediacy thereof, I'd say ... the 15 minutes of fame, not sure, maybe...but the technology is the main aspect I think ... although I'm not digging the suggestion of MySpace, which is an internet fad.

Danny
08-Sep-2006, 01:59 AM
im guessing its his way of pokin' fun at reality tv.

that or they discover a hatch in the woods and a polar bear:lol:

Chakobsa
08-Sep-2006, 10:49 PM
Any commentary would be in terms of today's technology and the immediacy thereof, I'd say ... the 15 minutes of fame, not sure, maybe...but the technology is the main aspect I think ... although I'm not digging the suggestion of MySpace, which is an internet fad.

I think you're right, in a world where dickheads send Al Qaida beheadings to each others phones for laughs it's only too easy to imagine what the "Jackass" generation would do if the dead walked.
Interestingly,(and I know that you dislike the movie minion.:D :p ) some of the bonus material in dawn 04 dealt with this; remember the bunch of goons with the zombie girl in the football helmet? Or the survivalists with the truck load of target practice?
The Darwin awards would get really interesting.

Danny
09-Sep-2006, 04:31 AM
yeah good one, and this years winner is......

EvilNed
09-Sep-2006, 09:02 AM
I hope Tom Green stars!

MinionZombie
09-Sep-2006, 03:47 PM
Interestingly, that was a bit I actually liked about Yawn04 - the target practice/celebrity zombie game bit, because that's what I'd do to quench the boredom. :lol:

Interesting idea, what would the Jackass generation do with zombies? :eek:

ROMERO FOR PRES
09-Sep-2006, 07:29 PM
A lot of people keep citing blair witch project for the description of the show, but I read something kind of interesting saying something along the lines that a possibility could be of making fun of the 'jackass' culture, i.e. doing stupid stuff on film for your 15 minutes. This would be very nice theme to have right now (just look at ebaum's world, real tv, jackass, etc.).

Another thing I could see as being a 'theme' is just not taking situations seriously. Seems that the kids want to round up zombies for special effects or whatever, rather than take the situation seriously and help solve the problem and will probably end up being part of the problem.

YES!!! ALTHOUGH IM NOT INVOLVED WITH THE MAKING OF IT(UNFORTUNATELY!!) I DO BELIEVE ITS COMMENTING ON AMERICAS REALITY TELEVISION ADDICTION AND THE FACT THAT NOWADAYS YOU JUST TURN THE TELIVISION ON TO GET "EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW"
THIS MOVIE REALLY IS GOING TO KICK ASS!!! JOHN HARRISON IS EXECUTIVE PRODUCING!!!

Danny
10-Sep-2006, 02:10 AM
Interestingly, that was a bit I actually liked about Yawn04 - the target practice/celebrity zombie game bit, because that's what I'd do to quench the boredom. :lol:

Interesting idea, what would the Jackass generation do with zombies? :eek:

speaking as the moderator for a now dut=sty and mis used jackass forum i can say wth some certainty, wed push them into bushes and stuff anf giggle like retards.:moon:

bassman
13-Sep-2006, 09:02 PM
I agree that it seems as though it will be for the "jackass" generation(as stated earlier) as well as, the current trend of "reality TV".

Who knows at this point?.....could be anything. I'm trying to not think much about the commentary until I see the film and take what I can from it. With the previous films, there were little things that I didn't realize until repeated viewings.

So this one is like the final exam for me. Hopefully I can find it all.:p

Maitreya
20-Sep-2006, 06:19 PM

I don't know... I think GAR may have delved a little into the jackass generation even with Land.

There was a definite lack of care and people doing stupid **** with zombies (shooting paintballs at them, taking pictures, keeping them chained up to fight).

Although he couldn't do it quite as effectively several years into the outbreak I'm pretty sure he was going for a little bit of that.