View Full Version : An Interesting Find....

Svengoolie
12-Sep-2006, 05:44 AM
Yesterday, I was going through a closet and found an old box of VHS tapes I haven't watched, or even remembered that I had, in years.

One of the tidbits I came across in that box was a two-tape documentary set produced in 1989 which I believe was made by John Russo's crew. From the looks of the production values, the budgets for both videos probably wasn't much more than the $4.99 that I paid for it back in the day...but they were still fun as hell to watch!:D

The first was called "Screen Scaries", and was an interesting blend of interviews and old trailers. It was hosted by James Karen, a genre favorite who appeared in Poltergeist and ROTLD...and featured interviews with Tom Savini, George Romero, Russ Streiner, John Russo, Linnea Quigley, and others. The interviews were broken up by old trailers and coming attractions from the late 60s and 70s, and even had the original trailer for NOTLD--which was honestly creepy.

The second tape, "Horror FX", was like a welfare check-version of Fango's "Scream Greats", and showcased some of the stuff Russo did with Tom Savini, as well as some of the work he did with GAR after Day of the Dead.

Has anybody else seen these tapes? And, if so, what's your take?:cool:

Oh, and has anybody ever seen the lost zombie flick from 1980, Bloodeaters? The trailer, showcased in "Screen Scaries", didn't look half bad--but according to IMDB it's unavailable on VHS or DVD....

http://imdb.com/title/tt0080448/

Adrenochrome
12-Sep-2006, 05:49 AM
well, you can at least still get the poster for Bloodeaters

http://www.moviegoods.com/movie_product.asp?master_movie_id=20116

Danny
12-Sep-2006, 06:30 AM
i think i got one of them in a box of my dads old dvds.

axlish
12-Sep-2006, 03:24 PM
I have them.

Horror F/X is a poor man's Scream Greats. Worth owning if you are a Savini junkie.

Screen Scaries is swill. Clips of random movies that have nothing to do with each other.

Bloodeaters is a piece. I believe Synapse released that one on DVD. Avoid.

Svengoolie
12-Sep-2006, 03:39 PM
Screen Scaries is swill. Clips of random movies that have nothing to do with each other.

They weren't supposed to have anything to do with each other...other than the fact that they were all trailers and coming attractions of cheesey, sleazy, queasy exploitation flicks from back in the day.

Nevertheless, I found it interesting to see clips from the past as they pretty much existed back then--a bit of nostalgic retro.

As a guy who once defended some of GAR's earlier works for the sake of that sort of stuff, I figured you of all people would be able to appreciate that, axlish.;)

axlish
12-Sep-2006, 04:45 PM
Nevertheless, I found it interesting to see clips from the past as they pretty much existed back then--a bit of nostalgic retro.

As a guy who once defended some of GAR's earlier works for the sake of that sort of stuff, I figured you of all people would be able to appreciate that, axlish.;)

I do like that kind of stuff. This particular "doc" was a typical Russo mess, just trying to get something out there for the sake of it. Something Weird samplers are better. I still defend Vanilla/Season, not the Crazies though.

EDIT: Now I remember what Bloodeaters is. I was confusing it with a different Hinzman flick. Bloodeaters (aka Toxic Zombies) is no budget flick about folks turning into zombies because of something sprayed on marijuanna (sound familiar?). It features a meaningless cameo by John Amplas. I'd say avoid it, but you'd be lucky to find it. I got a crap copy of off someone on the board a long time ago.

Svengoolie
12-Sep-2006, 05:05 PM
"Something Weird" samplers? Got a link? I'd like to check that out.

While checking out the link for Bloodeaters, I went ahead and clicked the link at the bottom of the page for 1977's The Child. That looks even more interesting! :D

Anybody ever check that one out?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0075838/

axlish
12-Sep-2006, 05:07 PM
http://www.somethingweird.com/cart.php?target=search&substring=sampler

I edited my above post re:Bloodeaters

Svengoolie
12-Sep-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks, axlish. I don't care what they say about you--you're a good egg in my book!;) :D

TheWalkingDude
12-Sep-2006, 06:08 PM
Dont think i have seen it but sounds a little bit interesting.:elol:

axlish
12-Sep-2006, 06:35 PM
Better link to Something Weird samplers
http://www.somethingweird.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=255

DeadCentral
12-Sep-2006, 09:46 PM
SVen I think the "BloodEaters" release date is incorrect, I saw this film in a drive-in with my parents when I was young.. 10 or 11, and I'm 39 now ...I could be wrong but it just seems it was a very loooong time ago and a lame film....

Griff
14-Sep-2006, 08:23 AM
Yep, I've got both 'Horror Effects' and 'Scream Scaries' and they're both quite entertaining in their own humble way. I could have sworn there was a third title in the series...

Fulcifan91
14-Sep-2006, 10:16 AM
Anybody know where I can get my hands on either of these?