PDA

View Full Version : Would zombies freeze in sub-zero temps??

Trancelikestate
13-Sep-2006, 12:44 AM
ok, i live in a part of colorado that gets like 20 feet of snow over a winter. (right near leadville for those of you who know the day re-make premise.) anyway, would zombies freeze in the air and cold snow because thier dead with no body temp? would they freeze solid only to defrost and be ten times as rotted in the spring? is that why they might've been seeking refuge up north in land?? i think they would freeze solid, to the point of where you could just stare at them and laugh while you torment them. snowboarding right bye, laughing hard, haha look at the upright frozen corpses! :lol: THOUGHTS PLEASE!

Marie
13-Sep-2006, 01:29 AM
I think they'd freeze, and there have been several stories I've read, I THINK in the Books of the Dead, that had them freezing. Of course there are diehard fanboys that probably think thier blood is actually an organic antifreeze too...<G>

But the humans in the freezing climate would have a merry time smashing frozen zombie heads wouldn't they?

M_

hseiken
13-Sep-2006, 02:41 AM
I don't like the idea of frozen zombies because you don't have gore as a result of slaying them...like Terminator 2...just a shattering body with little zombie ice crystals...boring. However, would be interesting if they kept one on ice for study...and you could see it in the ice looking at you all the time, following your movements...creepy.

Angry312
13-Sep-2006, 02:52 AM
.. just a strange name for a product involving frozen corpses.

The dead aren't any more or less suseptible to cold than we are; the damage from chilly conditions is done (iin part) by bursting blood vessels from ice crystals forming in the blood (see also: 'freezer burn'). Basically, they'd turn into glop, once the spring thaw hit -- with no native function to either prevent cell death from icing or generate warmth, we'd be looking at a really quiet winter, if the temperature got down low enough.

Additionally, the bodies wouldn't be 'without body temperature', just room temperature, plus or minus a few degrees, environmental factors not included.

They might, however, either enter a semi-heated environment to keep mobile, warm or sheltered from the elements -- some might even be trapped in such environments. Picture hot springs, deep mines with geothermal activity and underground bunkers with decent air conditioning, all keeping the local zombies 'fresh' and relatively unharmed.

Then again, visualize zombies moving across the desert, turning into what would look like mobile beef jerky treats, buzzards ripping them apart as they flail through the dunes, looking for an oasis not of water, but meat.

:evil: Angry312; Director of the Society for Bizarre Imagery :evil:

TheWalkingDude
13-Sep-2006, 03:22 AM
Yeah they would freeze then you could have zombie on a stick

jim102016
13-Sep-2006, 03:41 AM
What better excuse to head north if the sh*t hits the fan? When the temperature drops below zero for a while, sling your rifle, and start swinging your bat to thin the population a bit before bed time!

creepntom
13-Sep-2006, 04:43 AM
i had a similiar thought the other day, about how we've never really seen any zombies in climates other than rain & sunny.

i don't know about them freezing, but i do find it amuzing seeing zombies wondering around in the snow

Maitreya
13-Sep-2006, 07:07 AM
Haha, I can imagine them trying to remember their past life and trying to put on mittens or something.

Trancelikestate
13-Sep-2006, 08:53 PM
yeah they'd definatly be gross looking after the spring thaw. just thought i'd throw it out there though, seems like it's a good thread:D

Eyebiter
14-Sep-2006, 02:15 AM
Outdoors they would definately freeze solid. Most would be destroyed by the process, but then again it depends on the type of zombie. While a Romero zombie wouldn't make it through the process, a tough ROTLD zombie would be unaffected by the experience.

If the living dead are indoors shielded from direct exposure to wind and snow then I doubt they would freeze solid unless it's extremely cold. Thus finding shelter from a blizzard is a very dangerous endeavor, who knows what kinds of undead can be found in remote or abandoned buildings.

Angry312
14-Sep-2006, 02:53 AM
My ex had something to say on the topic I found particularly funny.

I was watching the first three movies on DVD, sitting with my friends while she was waiting for her Buffy: the Vampire Slayer group meeting to convene (I put up with her tribe, so she put up with my tribe) when she saw us laughing about the tar zombie in part 1.

She asks:
"If you boiled one down to bones, would it be alive?"
Our response was the affirmative.
"But, if it was just bones, and couldn't .. like .. attack .. they'd just be angry bones, wouldn't they? They couldn't move, or scream or anything." A pause. "Angry bones. Huh."

We were left speechless.

If a spring thaw sloughed off the skins of the dead, we would, eventually, be left with angry, angry bones.

Sometimes it takes an outside perspective to get an enlightening vision, y'know?

:evil: Angry312; "... Angry, angry bones." :evil:

Tullaryx
14-Sep-2006, 07:43 PM
Speaking of zombies freezing, Max Brooks' World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War had several entries just detailing a migration of refugees north of the snowline to escape the millions of zombies coming up from down south.

Trancelikestate
15-Sep-2006, 06:08 AM
Speaking of zombies freezing, Max Brooks' World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War had several entries just detailing a migration of refugees north of the snowline to escape the millions of zombies coming up from down south.

well, do they freeze? :lol: it would be even freakier them breaking out of the snow and grabbing you in the springtime when they were even more rotted *shudders* that kinda freaks me out!

Tullaryx
15-Sep-2006, 02:32 PM
well, do they freeze? :lol: it would be even freakier them breaking out of the snow and grabbing you in the springtime when they were even more rotted *shudders* that kinda freaks me out!

They should freeze since they wouldn't have any sort of circulation. The problem is what happens when spring arrives and the temperature rises above freezing.

Khardis
15-Sep-2006, 03:13 PM
This is a topic that I have considered for some time since I had thought about zombie invasions. They would definatly freeze solid in the cold winters since they have no body temperature. They're dead. And I think this also enhances the idea of the "lore" behind zombies on a whole. You can have a world with zombies in a story and have an invasion and have the same mass death and destruction and plauge outbreaks even if this holds true. Plus if human kind can hide out in the winter in colder areas it gives us a chance to regroup and do more research etc.

kortick
16-Sep-2006, 05:21 AM
they would freeze like anything else would

they would then thaw out
if the brain wasnt damaged from the freezing process
they would thaw out and become
their old loveable selves again

freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw

HLS
17-Sep-2006, 09:32 PM
I believe they will freeze but when they thaw they will be out walking again. But that makes me think. The plague survivors should be able to walk around freely in the dead of winter for the zombies will be popcycles