PDA

View Full Version : Pete Doherty

Ryan
15-Sep-2006, 11:59 AM
To be on the soundtrack of Diary of the Dead

Click Me (http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/tm_objectid=17735885&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=apt-title-for-pete-s-new-track-name_page.html)

EvilNed
15-Sep-2006, 01:55 PM
Ok, I'm going to go 180 on this.

My hopes have plummeted.

bassman
15-Sep-2006, 02:49 PM
Yeah....I saw this on a site a few days ago. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I've never heard the guy's music, but I saw a picture of him:confused: . Looked kinda like a Marilyn Manson wannabe or something.

Oh well.....I trust ol' Georgey. We may be pleasantly surprised.

Gouldy
07-Nov-2006, 07:54 PM
Pete doherty is one of the most talented song writers eveer, he may not have the voice of an angel or the musical skills of Brian May but he does write amazing lyrics/poetry/art. I am a huge huge huge fan of his with over 300 songs by him. Yes he is a drug addict but which rock stars these days dont dabble in that. And he is sorting himself out soooo much ive seen him twice this year once in february and again in october and he looks so much healthier then he did at the beginning of the year.
But on that note i don think his music will fit in with the film, he doesnt have that atmosphere in his music so i dont think it will work but on the other hand he may pull something out of his hat and produce a work of art

And if all of these negative comments have come from what you have heard from the tabloids please think again and actually know what your says. And if any of you red the sun lower your heads in shame, they reported on him going to the shop. THE SHOP!!!!

Adrenochrome
07-Nov-2006, 08:06 PM
never heard of him...

coma
07-Nov-2006, 10:01 PM
He is a huge douchebag. Pretnetious and self involved.
His old band, who sucked but I can't remember the name, is one of those keyboardy Goth faux metal bands. They get the casio, pick the crappiest preset and yodel some "dark" lyrics.
I met him and he is a huge tool.
No George, NO.
Im begging you.
That is a supremely Cheesy Idea.:eek:

Oh, wait a minute> I was thinking of another guy whose name is really similar.
I'm gonna post this anyway cause i"m feeling goofy.
Arf!

What about Goblin or something like it?
That Soundtrack Rocks.

dmbfanintn
07-Nov-2006, 10:04 PM
never heard of him...

Wha..Wha..Wha..??????:eek: :eek:

You're kidding!

Adrenochrome
07-Nov-2006, 10:15 PM
Wha..Wha..Wha..??????:eek: :eek:

You're kidding!

LOL...nope.....I'm not familiar with the name at all......let me find some of his work and I'll get back to you....sometimes I forget names but remember the tunes. DAMN the 80's and all that....that.....paper!!!:D

_liam_
07-Nov-2006, 10:25 PM
adreno noooo, put down the libertines LP now and step away from the stereo.

http://www.cbsnews.com/images/2006/01/20/imageLON80501201656.jpg

pete doherty is supposedly the new king of the rock f***ups, he's a crack addled dude in a trilby hat who dates kate moss (or does he? i cant keep up).

people see him as the next Jim morrison/ian curtis/kurt cobain/richey manic, personally, while i think he is for real, and a clear cut above the rest of these bands that begin with "the" (the killers the stroke sthe white stripes and on and on and on) , i just didnt jump out of my seat upon hearing his music like i did with those other guys i listed, and i find him a bit of a posing posh kid who thinks he's a total bad boy for tooting rocks.

although he did write a very concise and witty letter to the New musical express in the mid nineties (when he was a "nobody") denouncing fans of the manic street preachers, that was VERY funny, and i'm a frothing manics fan.

there's a hilarious documentary called "stalking pete doherty" that's well worth looking up.

but yeah, listen to orange goblin or send more paramedics instead if you wanna hear a decent contemporary UK rock band.

Adrenochrome
07-Nov-2006, 10:36 PM
HOLY FUNK!!!!!
dmbfanintn, we agree on LOTS of the same music.....LOTS!!
But......this guy is AWFUL!!!!

click and prepare to vomit! (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1646891045591046523&q=pete+doherty&hl=en)

That's not the only song I listened to but, IMO, all the others sounded just as bad or worse!

coma
07-Nov-2006, 10:38 PM
I only heard of him because of Something on the E channel. Like He's a sh*t bird junkie and his girlfriend is an overated model. Never heard his music. I'm all in favor of doing whatever you want but "check me out, I'm a hep cat junkie" is LAME O. You wanna get high, fine. Why make it a marketing gimmick?
btw, Pete, you look like crap. Go get measured for a coffin.

I can't keep up with all this new music. There's just too much stuff. If you think The Killers and White Stripes etc sound strangely familiar get some late 60s Who and see what was old is new again..

HOLY FUNK!!!!!

click and prepare to vomit! (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1646891045591046523&q=pete+doherty&hl=en)

That's not the only song I listened to but, IMO, all the others sounded just as bad or worse!

The songs OK, but tthe performance is really bad. And... NICE HAT!

dmbfanintn
08-Nov-2006, 01:04 AM
HOLY FUNK!!!!!

:barf: :barf: Agreed!! :barf: :barf:

radiokill
08-Nov-2006, 02:17 AM
I remember kinda digging one libertines tune....not very original....can't imagine it on a GAR movie soundtrack. I'm not vomitting yet, aside from thinking about how many times this guy's been picked up cracked out, pants saturated with urine

Cody
08-Nov-2006, 04:33 AM
george romero!!! why!!!!

Danny
08-Nov-2006, 08:05 AM
dear god why?!?!?, that guy sucks balls he makes ville valo sound perky hes that damn depressing, morrison and robert smith need to kick his ass just becuase his songs suck.

why george?,why?

Gouldy
08-Nov-2006, 12:00 PM
adreno noooo, put down the libertines LP now and step away from the stereo.

pete doherty is supposedly the new king of the rock f***ups, he's a crack addled dude in a trilby hat who dates kate moss (or does he? i cant keep up).

people see him as the next Jim morrison/ian curtis/kurt cobain/richey manic, personally, while i think he is for real, and a clear cut above the rest of these bands that begin with "the" (the killers the stroke sthe white stripes and on and on and on) , i just didnt jump out of my seat upon hearing his music like i did with those other guys i listed, and i find him a bit of a posing posh kid who thinks he's a total bad boy for tooting rocks.

although he did write a very concise and witty letter to the New musical express in the mid nineties (when he was a "nobody") denouncing fans of the manic street preachers, that was VERY funny, and i'm a frothing manics fan.

there's a hilarious documentary called "stalking pete doherty" that's well worth looking up.

but yeah, listen to orange goblin or send more paramedics instead if you wanna hear a decent contemporary UK rock band.

He doesn't think he is ''a total bad boy'' he's just another musician with problems and if you are all making these judgments without either hearing his music or just reading the paper then you are very shollow minded people. But if you are making these judgements from your own perspective and have heard his music then thats fine 'all to his own' and all that.

and i hope this isn't causing an argument, just my thoughts. And i do argree that he may not be suitible for the soundtrack

Adrenochrome
08-Nov-2006, 12:10 PM
He doesn't think he is ''a total bad boy'' he's just another musician with problems and if you are all making these judgments without either hearing his music or just reading the paper then you are very shollow minded people. But if you are making these judgements from your own perspective and have heard his music then thats fine 'all to his own' and all that.

I listened to his music and came to the conclusion that he's just another one of the millions of pathetic, emaciated, cry-baby emo boys trying to whine his way into the public eye. DEFINITELY not fit for a zombie movie soundtrack.

LouCipherr
08-Nov-2006, 01:00 PM
I listened to his music and came to the conclusion that he's just another one of the millions of pathetic, emaciated, cry-baby emo boys trying to whine his way into the public eye. DEFINITELY not fit for a zombie movie soundtrack.

I wish I posted that because it reflects my sentiments exactly. Thanks for saving me the typing. :D

This is the same dick who was in - crap, what was the name of his band? Baby something? Baby Shambles! that's it.

Dear god, this guy is an idiot and his music is awful (yes, i've heard it, and after a few songs I couldn't take anymore). Major dope (heroin) addict, and I seem to remember this is the same idiot that during a TV interview he pulled out a syringe full of his own blood and shot it all over the camera and camera man - pissing off his bandmates completely. Real f*ckin' classy, eh? He also got nailed on an airplane for leaving used needles in the bathroom. :rolleyes:

Non-musical antics and personal-troubles aside, he's still a pretentious jackass.

BAD CHOICE, and doesn't give me hope for the soundtrack. Lets hope the movie will make you not even notice it. :shifty:

Danny
08-Nov-2006, 01:20 PM

couldnt have said it better myself.

bassman
08-Nov-2006, 01:30 PM
I've never heard any of the guy's work(it seems like I wouldnt like it).....but I'm going to take it easy on him. There have been other musicians that have been announced to do scores for films that I thought were horrible but then turned out to be good.

One that comes to mind is The Dust Brothers and "Fight Club". I was a bit upset when I heard that they were composing the score to a film that was made by one of my favorite directors. But then I saw the film......I immediately took back what I had thought. They made a perfectly fitting score. Loved it.

You have to remember that a score to a film is quite different than a musician's personal album.

.......Come to think of it....has there even been any word that he is officially composing the score?

coma
08-Nov-2006, 02:46 PM

If you're a fiend and you make every effort to let everyone know, you are an idiot. Be in a band with a junkie. Watch your sympathy for his "problem" disapear fast.
Thats is no cmment on is music. It's ok.

Darkdeath
08-Nov-2006, 02:51 PM
How about we say no to all... Click!!

radiokill
08-Nov-2006, 03:11 PM
One that comes to mind is The Dust Brothers and "Fight Club".

dust brothers.......are those the guys that did a lot of a work with beck?

coma
08-Nov-2006, 03:17 PM
dust brothers.......are those the guys that did a lot of a work with beck?
Yup. And Pauls Boutique and...Tone Loc!

Those guys are great. Fight Club is a rare soundtrack that works as an album as well.

radiokill
08-Nov-2006, 03:25 PM
they were on Paul's Boutique...cool

I'll have to check out the Fight Club soundtrack

coma
08-Nov-2006, 03:40 PM
they were on Paul's Boutique...cool

Yeah, It was finished when The boys heard it, they just added vocals.
The Dust Brother still haven't releaed a plain old record under there own name. That would've been the first.

_liam_
08-Nov-2006, 04:43 PM
gouldy mate, i know you dont want to start an argument, but you are assuming ive never heard his music, as it is, i own preview copies of both libertines albums (for ebay someday), and ive seen both them and babyshambles live - and i dont like them! as someone else said, ill listen to the who or velvet underground or smiths if i want something like that.

and he does think he's a bad boy, cos he capitalises on his image as an addled rocker so much. i never even realised dave from megadeth was on heroin until someone told me, cos he brushed his hair and had a wash before facing the press - look at that pic of pete i posted, he's so self consciously scruffy!

kurt cobain used to layer up under his clothes to appear less emaciated also.

doherty did crack in front of a documentary filmmaker. the words "big and clever" come to mind. he's intelligent enough to know that footage would get him in trouble with the law, but he did it anyway - why? cos he trusted the cameraman he hardly knew implicitely? nah, he knew it would make him look harder.

but yeah, dont find his poetry that moving or concise either, i dunno. i think a lot of his legend status is press hype. im not detracting from or trivialising your penchant for his music though, music is like food, you eat what you like, it's neither wrong nor right if you like the taste.

coma
08-Nov-2006, 04:52 PM
gouldy mate, i know you dont want to start an argument, but you are assuming ive never heard his music, as it is, i own preview copies of both libertines albums (for ebay someday), and ive seen both them and babyshambles live - and i dont like them! as someone else said, ill listen to the who or velvet underground or smiths if i want something like that.

and he does think he's a bad boy, cos he capitalises on his image as an addled rocker so much. i never even realised dave from megadeth was on heroin until someone told me, cos he brushed his hair and had a wash before facing the press - look at that pic of pete i posted, he's so self consciously scruffy!

kurt cobain used to layer up under his clothes to appear less emaciated also.

doherty did crack in front of a documentary filmmaker. the words "big and clever" come to mind. he's intelligent enough to know that footage would get him in trouble with the law, but he did it anyway - why? cos he trusted the cameraman he hardly knew implicitely? nah, he knew it would make him look harder.

but yeah, dont find his poetry that moving or concise either, i dunno. i think a lot of his legend status is press hype. im not detracting from or trivialising your penchant for his music though, music is like food, you eat what you like, it's neither wrong nor right if you like the taste.

I didn't know Dave Mustaine was a dope head and I have like 5 of Megadeth records. I think he was probably ashamed of it Apparently Cobain always wore layers cause he was naturally scrawny. He didn't brag about dope, but he didn't lie when asked either. I don't know if he;s the best example, being an obvious trainwreck.

Because we are talking about this I am pretty sure the sensationalism has helped his career, at least in the short term.

I agree with music being simply about taste. I like a few pretty quilt things that are strictly walkman, to hide prying ears:)

Adrenochrome
08-Nov-2006, 05:10 PM
Because we are talking about this I am pretty sure the sensationalism has helped his career, at least in the short term.

Until this talentless sap O.D.'s and dies by the needle or blows his pitiable, simple minded head off.

coma
08-Nov-2006, 06:14 PM
Until this talentless sap O.D.'s and dies by the needle or blows his pitiable, simple minded head off.
In which case he'll be declared a genius and his Mom will reap the financial rewards post mortem
"He's losing his Marbles and I'm reaping all the benefits"

Though it didn't work for the marvelous Blind Melon.:p

scotty Boy
08-Nov-2006, 06:19 PM
Haha this is going to end in a war!

My opinion is, i do not like this man one bit but if the music fits with any part of the film ill let it be. Im sure the film wont be ruined by a snippet of one of his songs.

(Just trying to get back on topic here)

Adrenochrome
08-Nov-2006, 06:19 PM
Though it didn't work for the marvelous Blind Melon.:p
I saw those guys open up for The Rolling Stones in '93 - they really sucked LIVE...and I hated his voice on recording. Sounded like someone put a bear-trap on his beanbag and locked it, throwing away the key.

bassman
08-Nov-2006, 06:54 PM
I saw those guys open up for The Rolling Stones in '93 - they really sucked LIVE...and I hated his voice on recording. Sounded like someone put a bear-trap on his beanbag and locked it, throwing away the key.

Really? I never got a chance to see them live, but I have a live DVD and he sounds fine.

_liam_
08-Nov-2006, 08:30 PM
I didn't know Dave Mustaine was a dope head and I have like 5 of Megadeth records. I think he was probably ashamed of it

yeah i think so, he kept it quiet, i only found out through lemmy's autobiography, where he said dave was in a seriously bad way with all around '86.
i think "the killing road" is about it all.

but yeah, dont mind as long as the song fits, but his song is vocal heavy jingly jangly indie guitar music, vocal heavy stuff doesnt usually work in films, and jingly jangly indie music is mosy definitely not the sound of a zombie film, imho...

capncnut
09-Nov-2006, 05:05 AM

I saw them in the same year supporting Guns 'N Roses in the UK and they blew G'NR right off the stage!!!

7feet
09-Nov-2006, 06:08 AM
and I seem to remember this is the same idiot that during a TV interview he pulled out a syringe full of his own blood and shot it all over the camera and camera man -

That would seem to be about the time to pound him into a mass of insensible pulp. Musicians can be good and still have massive problems, it kind of goes with the territory. But if somebody sprayed Junkie Blood (TM) on me at a shoot, I would hit them repeatedly with a light stand. No sh!t, that requires some serious 2x4 therapy.

Dunno, I'll have to dig up some of the bastid's work, but there are actually a fair number of folks who were eminently so-so "rock stars" who turned out to be pretty good film composers, so I have to reserve judgement on this one.

LouCipherr
09-Nov-2006, 04:36 PM
That would seem to be about the time to pound him into a mass of insensible pulp. Musicians can be good and still have massive problems, it kind of goes with the territory. But if somebody sprayed Junkie Blood (TM) on me at a shoot, I would hit them repeatedly with a light stand. No sh!t, that requires some serious 2x4 therapy.

No sh*t. He'd be getting a 'wooden shampoo' with a Louisville Slugger baseball bat for sure if it was me it happened to.

For those who don't believe this, take a look at this link right here (which I believe is also on MTV's website, but I can't view it here at work.. damn firewalls.. where's my web proxy?!):

Pete's blood squirting incident. WARNING: Contains pics (http://www.thesuperficial.com/2006/05/pete_doherty_sprays_his_blood.html)

"In an interview this week, Pete Doherty lived up to his 'stupid bastard' title and squirted a cameraman with a syringe filled with his own blood. The interview was being conducted with Doherty's band wihtout him, and halfway through he showed up with the syringe and squirted the camera with his blood.

Apparently pleased at his handiwork, the convicted drug addict said "that was a wicked shot, that's going to make a cracking link that is", before leaving the room. The rest of the group were not so impressed, however, McConnell apologising to MTV for his lead singer's behaviour, saying: "I think the interview is over my friend. I'm really sorry about that mate." The Sun also alleges that Doherty injected himself with heroin in full view of onlookers prior to the gig. A source told the newspaper: "He seemed to be injecting heroin and didn't care who saw him. "The camera guys were worried they might have picked something up from the blood."

Even his bandmates were pissed about it apparently... and this is who George wants to do the soundtrack for his new movie? Dear god, say it isn't so. :(

Yes, you can make the argument that many a musician was on drugs at the height of their career and even managed to get through most of their career on drugs - but this I feel is a different case. When you're being this open about your use and problem, this is certainly not an image you want associated with your film. Who cares how good the band or musician is?

The funniest part is, he's not that good. So I just don't get it.

coma
09-Nov-2006, 04:46 PM
No sh*t. He'd be getting a 'wooden shampoo' with a Louisville Slugger baseball bat for sure if it was me it happened to.

For those who don't believe this, take a look at this link right here (which I believe is also on MTV's website, but I can't view it here at work.. damn firewalls.. where's my web proxy?!):

Pete's blood squirting incident. WARNING: Contains pics (http://www.thesuperficial.com/2006/05/pete_doherty_sprays_his_blood.html)

The look on the guy in the middle says it all.

Maybe GAR just likes the music.
I prefer the Moogy stuff like NOTLD and Martin.

bassman
09-Nov-2006, 05:06 PM
I've got to ask this again....

With all of you people freaking out......has there been any OFFICIAL word that he's composing the film's score? Or is it just a rumor that you're all freaking out over?

Gouldy
09-Nov-2006, 10:22 PM
''and I seem to remember this is the same idiot that during a TV interview he pulled out a syringe full of his own blood and shot it all over the camera and camera man''

Yeah that was SICK, even the bassist walked off and nearly quit the band

I know this may sound like im contradicting myself but i never fully explained.
I can't stand the man for his drug addiction and the way he exploits himself in that way because it gets in the way of his music and even he said that, but i have heard all of this cynical bull**** before and it all comes from the tabloids and the way they use his to fill up their pages, yes the guy does drugs and yes he is a ****-up becasue of it, but when do u ever hear in the papers about his music apart from when they mention he is in a band. I have read enough books and interviews on him from many different 'angles' (even his mum has brought out a book) and they all portray a side to his that the papers do not, and thats becasue it would make them look like ****-ups for just posting negative things.

And back to the topic, i think he could if he tried hard enough creat a master peice for this movie because he has a type of voice that could fit, or the boat could swing the other way and he could release a terrible song. Who know.........................and anyway we still don't know if this is for 100%

p.s that picture u posted was during the worst time ever when he was arrested 4 times in a week ( and even cancelled a gig i was supposed to go 2) and he even has a black eye (long story) so how about a decent picture next time

p.p.s do you even know what emo is!?

Adrenochrome
09-Nov-2006, 10:25 PM
p.p.s do you even know what emo is!?

you might not want to open up that can here.

"emo" is pretty easy to understand.

Whiney little girl-bois with a myspace account complaining about life and how sad they are while they take pictures of their hair in mirrors looking "oh so sad"?? Yea, that's emo.

_liam_
09-Nov-2006, 10:53 PM
emo is a marketing term coined to describe the lame, middle class, wannabe bi sexual, wannabe rocker kids who aggrandise their faux tortured artiste self image and dramatise their own trivial problems and anxieties to make them feel better about their empty, pointless existences.

they think we mock them for being different, when in fact we mock them for being far too self conscious and taking themselves way too seriously.

Goths without the style and good music, imo.

that fact that very few emo bands sound alike just suports its status as a marketing term rather than a music scene or youth movement.

bah humbug.

i chose that pic of pete at random, anyway, youre defending him a wee bit too much, believe it or not, hard working musicians who smoke crack and get in fights tend to look a bit rough most of the time.

on another note
did you ever read the football fanzine pete used to edit? copies change hands on ebay for hundreds now

Danny
10-Nov-2006, 11:55 AM
liam if we still had a rep system youd get some for that.

Gouldy
10-Nov-2006, 03:34 PM
emo is a marketing term coined to describe the lame, middle class, wannabe bi sexual, wannabe rocker kids who aggrandise their faux tortured artiste self image and dramatise their own trivial problems and anxieties to make them feel better about their empty, pointless existences.

they think we mock them for being different, when in fact we mock them for being far too self conscious and taking themselves way too seriously.

Goths without the style and good music, imo.

that fact that very few emo bands sound alike just suports its status as a marketing term rather than a music scene or youth movement.

bah humbug.

i chose that pic of pete at random, anyway, youre defending him a wee bit too much, believe it or not, hard working musicians who smoke crack and get in fights tend to look a bit rough most of the time.

on another note
did you ever read the football fanzine pete used to edit? copies change hands on ebay for hundreds now

NO i havent, would like to though. and yes i am a little too much, i just get frustrated by all the stuff the media make up and it seems to rub off on alot of people. Any way each to their own

DjfunkmasterG
10-Nov-2006, 04:47 PM
HOLY FUNK!!!!!

OMG, My FUC*KING EARDRUMS! That Guitar was so OUT OF TUNE. This guy should be banned from the music scene... GOSH!

Is George intentionally trying to ruin his new franchise?

Gouldy
10-Nov-2006, 08:23 PM
ow come on give a good example not a tv interview. I don't know if anyone will like but here are a couple of GOOD videos that may change people mind on him, maybe not for the sound track though :p

The Libertines - Time For Heros
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VwhHdeHJ1Yk

The Libertines- Can't Stand Me know
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVOjj0Gcl0E

Pete Doherty - Beg, Steal or borrow (solo)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ahIrY-YiS4s
I think this is a nice video of him live

Babyshambles - Albion
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jbYMK8XbAd4

Babyshambles - F**K forever
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vYDiUK1spx0

bassman
10-Nov-2006, 09:04 PM
:|

What ever happened to singing in key?

coma
10-Nov-2006, 09:09 PM
The Libertines - Time For Heros
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VwhHdeHJ1Yk

Pete Doherty - Beg, Steal or borrow (solo)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ahIrY-YiS4s

Time for Heroes is Kinks. All the way. The drummer is pretty good on the stuttery parts

The other one is pure smiths except Johnny Marr never missed so many notes in an intro:) and whats with that Poncy pink suit on the MC?!?!

I coukd see how someone could be real into this stuff. I dont think it suck at all like the other do. I just think HE is a dick.

The songs aren't bad they are just extremely derivative. But I guess if someone never heard it it's new to them. I have definately heard worse. Like the extremely sucky and derivative Stone Temple Piolits. This Guy is Mozart compared to them. I like to brick Scott Wieland in his temple:mad: . Talk about a junkie asshole.

:|

What ever happened to singing in key?
Uh, Dylan, Jerry Garcia, Neil Young?
Beiong out of tune doesn't mean you suck many have turned being off into an artform into itself

bassman
10-Nov-2006, 09:20 PM
Uh, Dylan, Jerry Garcia, Neil Young?
Beiong out of tune doesn't mean you suck many have turned being off into an artform into itself

Okay....Ill give it to ya that Dylan and Young get out of key on some songs(on some they stay in).....but Garcia held his own. If anything, Bob Weir was the one slipping up sometimes.

Besides.....those guys do it with a sort of finesse. This guy sounds like he got punched in the throat, drank nitroclycerine, and had a wolf gnaw on his naugty bits while he was recording.

Sorry. Just judging from those links you posted. I'm not saying all of his pieces are like that....but those are.

_liam_
10-Nov-2006, 09:22 PM
yeh pretty much 50% of my issue with it. i wouldnt even open my mouth if he didnt get so much media coverage & adoration from the music press.

although leave off his voice, johnny rotten and alice cooper cant sing as well as r kelly...

i have to say, as a pop star, he's EXCELLENT. so he squirts journalists with blood? brilliant!!! they deserve it. music journalists are plankton.

that's better than x factor or will young in my book. pop/rock stars are supposed to be stupid, reckless and slightly dangerous, in my book anyway. sid vicious kicked the crap out of the spice girls.
the only thing is, you need tunes to back it up, and like you said, i dont think he's far enough from many established acts to warrant such attention.

although i do like that "oh you f***ing waster...you pissed it all up the wall" tune he does.

for all the negative things ive said about him, i do think that if he cleans up his act he may well write a decent LP (imo) some day, he does know his onions.

gouldy - havent got one of his footy zines myself, but i will dig out the letter he wrote about the manic street preachers in the early nineties and post it here, it's worth a read...

Gouldy
10-Nov-2006, 09:33 PM
gouldy - havent got one of his footy zines myself, but i will dig out the letter he wrote about the manic street preachers in the early nineties and post it here, it's worth a read...

if this is the one im thinking of i think i may have it, if it is the one where he is talking about Richie Edwards, it may be the one re-printed in NME last year whicfh was a Richie Edwards special.

And there is another Famous man with no talent, he was an amazing person and exressed himself so much but he was a dreadful rhythm played and the Manics even unpluged him on stage

_liam_
10-Nov-2006, 10:32 PM
ah yes, that's the one, but i have to disagree there, although richey manic couldn't play guitar for crap, he wrote incredible lyrics, few people have managed to boil down the human condition to 4 minute pop songs without sounding pink floyd-pompous. the "in utero" beater, imho.

archives of pain. now there's a solo.

"the holy bible" is the single most underrated album ever made. imo!!!

it's a cross between PiL, joy division, stiff little fingers and the sex pistols for those who know not what im blathering on about.

check out "of walking abortion" and "archives of pain". i find an androgynous, cross dressing welsh punk who is so right wing totally fascinating.

and despite the merciless barrage of mediocrity that followed richey manic's (still unsolved) disappearence, theyre still a tight as hell live band.

interesting how pete doherty is consistently compared to richey.

Gouldy
10-Nov-2006, 10:43 PM
OMG! yes the Holy Bible is an amazing album, and yes he wrote amazing lyrics, but i thought he only played rythm bass and write lyrics. But yes i think the holy bible should have been promoted soo much more. I saw the manics live last year and i was blown away.

Yeah i suppose pete doherty has been compared to him becasue they both seem a generations misfits and they both have had thier own publicity: Pete Doherty for his drugs, Richie Edwards for carving 4REAL into his arm.

PETE DOHERTY + RICHIE EDWARDS now that would be an amazing duet

coma
10-Nov-2006, 10:52 PM
Okay....Ill give it to ya that Dylan and Young get out of key on some songs(on some they stay in).....but Garcia held his own. If anything, Bob Weir was the one slipping up sometimes.

Besides.....those guys do it with a sort of finesse. This guy sounds like he got punched in the throat, drank nitroclycerine, and had a wolf gnaw on his naugty bits while he was recording.

Sorry. Just judging from those links you posted. I'm not saying all of his pieces are like that....but those are.
Bob Wier is a crap playing, Bad singing, short shorts wearing little prep school knob. Thats why I didn't mention her:p

_liam_
10-Nov-2006, 11:06 PM
OMG! yes the Holy Bible is an amazing album, and yes he wrote amazing lyrics, but i thought he only played rythm bass and write lyrics.

ah no, he wrote about 70% of the lyrics and titted about with rhythm guitar. the party line is nicky wire recorded the bass chops but personally i think james dean bradfield and sean moore did all of the music on record.

recorded for £75 a night in a demo studio in cardiff's red light district. rock n roll.

capncnut
10-Nov-2006, 11:16 PM
"the holy bible" is the single most underrated album ever made. imo!!!

it's a cross between PiL, joy division, stiff little fingers and the sex pistols for those who know not what im blathering on about.

I know what your blathering about, it's certainly the Manic's finest hour.

Ahh PIL, I miss that group.

Adrenochrome
10-Nov-2006, 11:26 PM
Bob Wier is a crap playing, Bad singing, short shorts wearing little prep school knob. Thats why I didn't mention her:p

Now, I love the Dead....and attended MANY shows (lost count) (oh, including the last Jerry show :( )....but, you're right about Bob....you forgot one thing.....when he was singing, he would NEVER shut up and repeated the last line of the song a million times....or was that the acid I took?:D
I never understood the short short bluejean cutoffs, the sandals and the polo shirts....
Now, Phil Lesh!!!! That guy is STILL kicking out great shows! Saw him a few months ago!!

_liam_
10-Nov-2006, 11:49 PM
lol, how did i guess you were a dead fan. fair shout man!

coma
11-Nov-2006, 12:24 AM
Now, I love the Dead....and attended MANY shows (lost count) (oh, including the last Jerry show :( )....but, you're right about Bob....you forgot one thing.....when he was singing, he would NEVER shut up and repeated the last line of the song a million times....or was that the acid I took?:D
I never understood the short short bluejean cutoffs, the sandals and the polo shirts....
Now, Phil Lesh!!!! That guy is STILL kicking out great shows! Saw him a few months ago!!

Me too, though I was the only guy there with a Black Flag shirt.:D I saw em like 75 times but I saw them at Shoreline in 93 or 94 and the whole scene (california shows scenewise were sketchy and lame) and show sucked so bad that I wrote the whole thing off. Anthem of the Sun and Aoxomoxoa are still some of my favorite records. Aoxomoxoa has bad ass cover. I saw them all over but I think MSG is the best. Maybe because I lived 2 block away:)
Oh sweet windowpane, where have you gone?
Jerry had a lot of personality but Bob seemed to be there as a favor to someone, being his skills were vastly inferior. Like a Linda MacCartney.:evil:
Now, Phil lesh, a good example of bad but good singer. That quadraphonic bass sound was sick as hell. I will never piss on Phil.

dmbfanintn
21-Nov-2006, 06:28 PM

I've seen Lesh 3 times this year.

He played a "Phill and Friends" show at Bonnaroo this year, then I saw "Phil and Trey" (Anastasio) twice in Vegas on Halloween weekend. Once at the Vegoose Festival and once at the MGM grand.

Lesh can still tear it up. I got to see a show during the last "The Dead" tour in the Summer of 04 also at Roo.

Sad thing is, if you want to see some real "Dead" music performed by original members, then you better get it soon. Phil is pretty much the last touring member (Bob still does occasionally) and he just announced in the summer that he has prostate cancer (Phil Lesh that is). Who know how that may affect his future. He said he was expecting a full recovery, but isn't that what everyone says?