PDA

View Full Version : A ban on scrawny models

DeadJonas190
17-Sep-2006, 05:04 AM
Honestly, I view this as a good thing. Scrawny models are the reason for a lot of females to have negative self images. There are a lot of beautiful people out there who think they are ugly because they aren't a size 2. This is a step in the right direction if you ask me.

http://portal.wowway.net/news/read.php?ps=1016&id=14395771&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCLM_UNEWS

British Minister Says Ban Scrawny Models
Saturday, September 16, 2006 3:37 PM EDT
The Associated Press

LONDON (AP) — A British Cabinet minister on Saturday called for London Fashion Week to follow its Madrid counterpart and ban extremely thin models from the catwalk.

Fashion Week organizers rejected the call — but said they were canceling the event's opening photo call to avoid giving the issue more publicity.

Last week Madrid's Fashion Week, the Pasarela Cibeles, announced it was banning models with a Body Mass Index, or height to weight ratio, below 18.

Organizers of the Spanish event said they wanted models to project "an image of beauty and health" and shun a gaunt, emaciated look.

"I applaud the decision taken by Madrid to ban super-thin models, and urge the organizers of London Fashion Week to do the same," British Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell.

The World Health Organization considers people with a BMI below 18.5 underweight. To achieve a BMI of 18, a 5-foot-9 model would have to weigh about 125 pounds. The average runway model at that height is 115 pounds.

The body mass index is a tool for doctors who study obesity. It is calculated by dividing weight in pounds by height in inches squared, and multiplying that total by 703.

If the resulting number is between 18.5 and 24.9, the person's weight is considered normal. Below 18.5 they are underweight.

"The fashion industry's promotion of beauty as meaning stick thin is damaging to young girls' self image and to their health," Jowell said in a statement.

"Young girls aspire to look like the catwalk models — when those models are unhealthily underweight it pressurizes girls to starve themselves to look the same."

The British Fashion Council, which runs Fashion Week, said in a statement that it "does not comment or interfere in the aesthetic of any designer's show."

"The BFC has canceled the photo call on Sunday because it is unwilling to add any more impetus to the publicity surrounding this complicated issue," it added,

London Fashion Week opens Monday and runs through Friday.

MinionZombie
17-Sep-2006, 11:06 AM
Aye I posted about a previous article, not about this event specifically, but about the first instance of bannage that inspired this move. I say good on them, scrawny models don't look sexy, they look plain ill and there are so many girls out there with actual figures (but far, far from fat) who are infinately more beautiful. A ban on these skeleton coke-heads might put a stop to men, the world over, having to say "but you're not fat" to the women they know ... which will mean more time spent watching Top Gear, and that's alright with me! :thumbsup:

Purge
17-Sep-2006, 11:15 AM
I disagree with the ruling. Those models are adults and should decide for themselves how they wanna look. They never asked to be role models.

DjfunkmasterG
17-Sep-2006, 12:00 PM
I really believe models project an image onto other people. Also, whether they like it or not they are role models. If you're in the spotlight with some claim to fame you are a role model of sorts whether it be good or bad. Do I agree with bannin scrawny models... Well to me thats pushing the limits a bit and invading in areas that the gov't doesn't belong. However, to each his own.

HLS
17-Sep-2006, 06:07 PM
Well most women are not that skinny. most women are considered overwight by the modeling industry standards. I do not think super skinny models should be banned but larger sized models should be used equally.

Khardis
17-Sep-2006, 10:42 PM
Its a stupid ban. Why not ban people from swallowing thier food before they chew it a predetermined number of times too? England is getting a bit too Mother government for my liking, its pretty ridiculous.

Well most women are not that skinny. most women are considered overwight by the modeling industry standards. I do not think super skinny models should be banned but larger sized models should be used equally.

As soon as heterosexual men run the fashion industry they will be. But until that day, the rules will be set by the homosexual designers who design the garments more for thier male partners than curvy women. Ever notice how the women in fashion tend to look like well... tall skinny boys? Theres a reason for that.

jdog
18-Sep-2006, 01:59 AM
i dont think it such a bad idea. this might help put some meat on those boney models.

Debbieangel
18-Sep-2006, 02:06 AM
Well most women are not that skinny. most women are considered overweight by the modeling industry standards. I agree with this part of your quote but,..nobody could not possibly understand how we feel about self body image if you do not or have not had a problem with weight.
I know when I see those skinny skinny models even when Twiggy was younger made me feel huge and I h ad a nice shape back then... so, I DO see why they are banning the super skinny models...girls need to feel good about themselves no matter what size they are! Look at it this way I am sure if those skinny skinny models gain 5 lbs their managers are on their butts telling them to get if off again. Don't you think that's why they became coke heads in the first place? Let me tell ya being on a diet is hard getting weight off is hard..making it stay off is harder yet!! sorry I am ranting here lol
There are too many young girls that have anarexia nervosa and bulimia tryng to be like these size 2 models..ok stepping down off my soapbox now! lol

MinionZombie
18-Sep-2006, 09:30 AM
'Extreme' measures should be taken to combat such a retarded problem, it gets the message across properly, you can't go all namby-pamby liberal with the situation, super models and models in general are far too skinny - full stop. Ever see recent pictures of Lionel Ritchie's waster daughter? (I know she isn't a model and is technically classed as being a "celebrity", but if that doesn't scream anorexia, then I don't know what does).

The fashion industry is completely idiotic, a bunch of coked out models with the flattest asses snorting up a storm and sauntering around in thin strips of clothing. As soon as you can see any of the following:

1) Collar bone
2) Ribs
3) Intricate working of the wrist
4) Jawbone from any angle

Then you're too damned skinny and these models need to be sorted out, they're paraded around everywhere and it's just making a negative self-image for the normal women out there in the world, who end up thinking all men prefer models than real women ... at most a guy would fudge them once or possibly twice in a solitary sitting, but then that'd be it, and probably just to say they'd done a model...:lol:...but in reality men want a real woman with a proper figure. Scarlett Johansson springs to mind, she's a busty young lass, with an ass and a healthy figure. She obviously keeps herself toned, but she's got the right amount of meat on her bones.

Women, the world over, stop asking men if your bum looks big in "this" and "is she thinner than me?" ... because, quite frankly, we don't give a crap. Isn't our undivided attention (when it counts) enough for you ladies, enough of the jealousy and whatever you crazy chicks think about in regards to your figure...*grrr*...see, blokes can't deal with such issues and questions, we talk about cars and boobs and that's it...and action movies.

I'm going to go watch Top Gear, I need some petrol after laying down my opinions on scrawny-ass women ... which just reminded me of one of the most hideous images I've recently seen - paris hilton's ass ... photographed from the front ... don't ask ... and for the love of GAR, don't post the image here! :eek::|

Debbieangel
19-Sep-2006, 02:03 AM
'Extreme' measures should be taken to combat such a retarded problem, it gets the message across properly, you can't go all namby-pamby liberal with the situation, super models and models in general are far too skinny - full stop. Ever see recent pictures of Lionel Ritchie's waster daughter? (I know she isn't a model and is technically classed as being a "celebrity", but if that doesn't scream anorexia, then I don't know what does).

The fashion industry is completely idiotic, a bunch of coked out models with the flattest asses snorting up a storm and sauntering around in thin strips of clothing. As soon as you can see any of the following:

1) Collar bone
2) Ribs
3) Intricate working of the wrist
4) Jawbone from any angle

Then you're too damned skinny and these models need to be sorted out, they're paraded around everywhere and it's just making a negative self-image for the normal women out there in the world, who end up thinking all men prefer models than real women ... at most a guy would fudge them once or possibly twice in a solitary sitting, but then that'd be it, and probably just to say they'd done a model...:lol:...but in reality men want a real woman with a proper figure. Scarlett Johansson springs to mind, she's a busty young lass, with an ass and a healthy figure. She obviously keeps herself toned, but she's got the right amount of meat on her bones.

Women, the world over, stop asking men if your bum looks big in "this" and "is she thinner than me?" ... because, quite frankly, we don't give a crap. Isn't our undivided attention (when it counts) enough for you ladies, enough of the jealousy and whatever you crazy chicks think about in regards to your figure...*grrr*...see, blokes can't deal with such issues and questions, we talk about cars and boobs and that's it...and action movies.

I'm going to go watch Top Gear, I need some petrol after laying down my opinions on scrawny-ass women ... which just reminded me of one of the most hideous images I've recently seen - paris hilton's ass ... photographed from the front ... don't ask ... and for the love of GAR, don't post the image here! :eek::|

LOL your too funny the only thing I ask my hubby is "Does this look nice on me" if he says aaaah "Honey, no its too tight or too much cleavage or whatever I will change cause when he ventures to GIVE his opinion I listen"
Cause usually he just dont care he loves me no matter what I wear!!
Usually when I get in a "mood" and ask the stupid question he says I dont know Deb you look ok...means get out of here I am busy on the computer . lol I have been married long enough to know dont ask.... well, most of the time!