PDA

View Full Version : Lucio Fulci' "Zombi 2" Thoughts...?

hseiken
17-Sep-2006, 03:00 PM
I just finished watcing this film from Italian (hack) director Lucio Fulci. I can't say I was entirely disappointed. For those who haven't seen it, it begins with a boat showing up in New York harbor with no one aboard, except a zombie. The boat belonged to a man who's daughter wishes to find out what's become of him. With the help of a reporter and 2 vacationers, they set sail to the last known whereabouts of the woman's dad, a 'cursed' uncharted island. Once there, they discover that the dead are walking, and quite hungry for the living.

Anyway, what started off as kind of interesting became slow rather quickly. Lots of nice cinematography was present,though, as well as beautiful scenery. However, that wasn't able to help the mediocre story which was almost nonexistant for the first 45 minutes...around 7 or so minutes of that was taken up by a poor excuse to show a topless woman. Many of the characters were lifeless, even though they were living, showing know real differentiating
characteristics from one another, other than clothing and hair. Also, if it bothers you, the film is dubbed, so you'll see lots of 70's kung-fu lipsyncing, which wouldn't bother me if they were delivering intelligent lines ("There's a man in the water!" "What?" "There's a man in the water!" "A man?").

But there's always a saving grace to fall back on in zombie movies and that's the zombies themselves. I must admit, there was quite a roster of excellent stenches in this flick as well as buckets of gore and gallons of blood. Some of the effects made you wonder if they actually killed someone for the shot (though you know deep down they didn't,but there were a couple of very convincing blows to the head). The only complaint I had about the zombie scenes, however, were the women. ALL OF THEM ACTED LIKE A DEER IN HEADLIGHTS FOR TOO LONG. It would be one thing to kind of stare for a moment in disbelief at the site of the FIRST zombie, but some who had seen them all throughout the flick kept standing there, just waiting for the zombie to finally do them in. Case in point, in the finally, the woman who was battling zombies all day and into the night just froze when a zombie popped out closer than she expected and even TURNED HER NECK TO OPTIMUM BITING ANGLE FOR THE ZOMBIE. This was quite annoying and made me root for the zombies instead of the humans. You can't cheer on stupid people, no matter how much you hate the badguys or villians.

Anyway, it's definately worth the viewing for the gore, but don't expect some masterpiece. It's quite slow and dull in places and with a fishing-line thick plot, can be quite amusing watching how they director tries to lengthen and fill in the holes.

EvilNed
17-Sep-2006, 04:07 PM
If you ask me, the film is bad all around. The film is so dull and nothing ever happens until the last ten minutes when it's all out gore.

I really don't see why people like this film. To me it's pure crap.

jdog
17-Sep-2006, 04:25 PM
still have'nt been able to find this movie. i have always wanted to see it and hopefully down the road i will. (is this the one where the shark attacks the zombie?)

axlish
17-Sep-2006, 04:30 PM
I used to dislike this film but I now appreciate this film as the finest zombie movie ever made outside of the USA. Beautiful cinematography, creepy atmposphere, awesome music, glorious gore, sexy women, and to top it all off, island zombies! I love the style of the zombies, eyes closed, leaning head. Easily Fulci's finest work.

MinionZombie
17-Sep-2006, 04:31 PM
Yes it is the one with the shark versus zombie underwater fight ... it should be pretty easy to find, it recently came out on a special 25th anniversary edition, and there's many other copies of it on DVD. Look online and you'll find it in a snap.

As for the film, it's blatantly no Dawn of the Dead, but for the video nasty, 1970s vibe I enjoy it, got the DVD I mentioned above as well. At least the zombies weren't running. :lol:

Fulci was no genius by any stretch of the imagination, but he made some classic grot-horror movies, such as The New York Ripper and The Beyond. Not to everyone's tastes obviously, but worth checking out.

Axlish - I feel the same way about the flick, originally I was really opposed to it and then I gave it a second chance and was loving the craft that went into it (mainly down to folk who worked on the movie that weren't Lucio Fulci himself - apparently he wasn't pleased to be making horror movies and didn't plan on making so many of them, I guess he was seduced by the money making power).

TripleRex
17-Sep-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm selling my copy of the 2 Disc 25th Anniversary Edition on eBay right now. In fact, no one has bid on it yet and the auction end in about four hours. Starting bid is only $4.00 plus s/h. Here's the link if you're interested.

Zombi 2: 25th Anniversary 2-Disc DVD for sale on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&item=120030490291&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1)

Link fixed by your friendly, neighbourhood MinionZombie

Hey, thanks for fixing that.

Well no one bid, so I will be putting it back up for sale later tonight. It will run for 7 days. I'll probably lower the price slightly. I'll have the link later (and hopefully someone will fix it for me) .

jdog
18-Sep-2006, 01:51 AM
thanks for the tips guys

slickwilly13
18-Sep-2006, 02:17 AM
Let's not forget about the movie's soundtrack. Sounds like The Gates of Hell's music.

xopher
18-Sep-2006, 09:27 AM
Although I can understand the points made, I personally hated this film with great passion. I know Romero needed to fund Dawn, but the "Zombie 2" I have is just called Zombie, since over there they totally ripped off Romero's Dawn. I'm OCD so having a whole other franchises spin off a film that's not even the first volume in its own franchise just irritates the living pee out of me. Anyhow, I was however impressed with the "splinter through the eyball" effect. Word has it that Fulci was a wax artist and made sculptures for wax museums and such. That head he made for that effect looked horrifyingly real. I was very impressed at that one shot. As for the rest of the film, I was very non-entertained. Just too d4mn sappy. Poor acting. Also felt the zombies were too messy, didn't have the slightly more defined "EC" look that Romero's have. (Okay, I make an exception for Dawn, but the principal zombies looked fantastic) But please, don't take my word for. Watch it yourself and enjoy. (If you can)

dmbfanintn
18-Sep-2006, 01:16 PM
Well no one bid, so I will be putting it back up for sale later tonight. It will run for 7 days. I'll probably lower the price slightly. I'll have the link later (and hopefully someone will fix it for me) .

I just bid on your DVD.

NO ONE ELSE BID DAMITT!!!!!! I want it!

Fulcifan91
18-Sep-2006, 02:41 PM
As you probably already know, by looking at my username, I am a big fan of Fulci's work. My favorite director of all time. I'm even more into Itlatian horror rather than American.

Anyways, In my opinion, Zombi 2 is a fantastic movie. The very fist zombie film I saw (7th Grade). To those of you who hate it, but have only seen it once, watch it again, maybe you'll enjoy it more.

Also, hseiken- do you really consider Fulci a "hack" director? How can you form that opnion about him, after JUST seeing Zombi 2, one of his most popular films. What other Fulci films have you seen, that help enforce your idea that he is a hack?

MontagMOI
18-Sep-2006, 05:52 PM
I think the first part of what xopher said about zombie 2 could very easily be said about Dawn04 (or whatever it's called). At least Fulci remembered the basics of a zombie film: they eat people. Yes, it may have a load of flaws and not be to everyone's taste but at least like his other efforts (The Beyond, House By The Cemetary and City Of The Living Dead) they don't skimp on the red stuff. Poor CGC head shots may be the done thing for today's living dead flicks, but give me a good old fashioned prosthetic throat ripping any day. I think also that the effects on Zombi (aka Zombie 2, Zombie Flesh Eaters etc etc etc) were done by Gianneto DeRossi (Although i cant be totally sure). I just think it's a bit sad that many people dismiss fulci's films along with other euro-gore like The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue for shallow films like Snyder's (The Jerry Bruckheimer of zombie-film makers) which i think is an ok film and certainly better than his abhorrant Slither. I also love the music on some of Fulci's movies ('City', 'The Beyond' and 'House By..' especially).

dmbfanintn
19-Sep-2006, 01:13 AM
In addition to Zombie, check out The Beyond, 7 doors of death and city of the living dead!

I dig all of the Fulci films I have seen.:D

TripleRex
20-Sep-2006, 04:44 AM
I just bid on your DVD.

NO ONE ELSE BID DAMITT!!!!!! I want it!

Cool. Thanks for bidding. So far you're the only one. But it's up until Sunday if anyone else wants to bid!!! :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&item=120033232682&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Maitreya
20-Sep-2006, 09:00 AM
Wait, so by Zombi 2... Is that Zombi 2 in Italy or in America?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if it's the first of the Fulci zombie series

xopher
20-Sep-2006, 09:12 AM
Well, you can buy a region 1 US release of Zombie 2, it comes in a special edition, I believe. But you can also buy a region 1 US release of Zombie. They are the same movie, because over seas in region two territory "Dawn Of The Dead '78" is called "Zombie: Dawn Of The Dead"

MinionZombie
20-Sep-2006, 10:09 AM
"Zombi 2" otherwise known as "Zombie Flesh Eaters", is indeed Fulci's first zombie film, the one with the island, the hospital siege, the zombies on Brooklyn bridge, the cops on the zombie boat and the eye splinter sequence.

In Italy GAR's "Dawn of the Dead" was called "Zombi", and Fulci (or the money/marketting men) wanted to call it "Zombi 2" to cash in on GAR's success ... that I don't like, but here in the UK it goes by "Zombie Flesh Eaters" so it's okay...

Fulcifan91
20-Sep-2006, 06:48 PM
Minion Zombie- Have you watched the special features for the double disc 25the anniversary edition of Zombi 2?

I believe somewhere in there it metions Fulci wanted to name his film Zombi, before he knew about DAWN, and then had to compromise with Zombi 2 after Dawn came out in Italy as Zombi.

Also (to those who dont know) That is the reason Zombi 2 is called ZOMBIE in the US, because there was no Original ZOMBIE, it was Dawn.

In addition to that, The Beyond and 7 Doors of Death are the same film. 7 Doors of Death is the original american release that has cut out some gore.

MinionZombie
20-Sep-2006, 08:34 PM
I knew it was something like that ... but still, deciding to call it Zombi 2 when it's got fudge all to do with Dawn (Zombi) is a bit sh*t ... and you might have thought he would have noticed or heard from someone that Dawn was called Zombi in Italy, lol...

Chakobsa
22-Sep-2006, 09:08 PM
Ah, "Zombie Flesheaters". I loved it. Italian horror films have a style all of their own, I don't know what it is about them 'cause more often than not the storylines and dialogue are crazier than tits on a piranah but they work for me.
The two Fulci films I've seen, "Flesheaters" and "The Beyond" were full of atmosphere and more than their fair share of startling and arresting images.
"The boat can leave now,tell the crew."

capncnut
22-Sep-2006, 11:22 PM
Zombie Flesh Eaters is a classic! Okay, the acting is (let's be polite now) dull but at least the effects are of Dawn standard. Name one movie where a zombie fights a shark underwater? Fulci's movies may be an acquired taste but they always deliver the gore.

TripleRex
24-Sep-2006, 01:19 AM
Only one day left if anyone else wants to bid on my copy of Zombie 2. Current bid price is only $4.25 and that's pretty darn cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&item=120033232682&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

EvilNed
06-Oct-2006, 10:01 PM
Just saw the uncut version for the first time (downloaded it. My old VHS was cut). And I still say:

This film is not good. It doesn't have the characters or directing to sustain this kind of style. This is the kind of film that tries to take itself seriously and be something it's not: A serious zombie film. It's just stupid. The acting, dialoge and everything else that might have helped in a film as slow as this, is all sub-par. It simply doesn't work.

By the time we get to the zombie outbreak, I'm half-asleep already. But sure, there are some cool moments in the last ten minutes. But definetly not enough to save this film. Infact, the last ten minutes of The Beyond are infinetly scarier than these zombies.

One of the least engaging films I've ever seen.

Danny
06-Oct-2006, 10:26 PM
Wait, so by Zombi 2... Is that Zombi 2 in Italy or in America?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if it's the first of the Fulci zombie series

kinda both, but funny you mention that cus is it me or do all 70's horros from countrys like italy need like 5 seconds of footage from new york near the start?:D

as for the film ive got the dvd in a sweet ass "box of the banned" box set but ive only watched halfway through ,but the eyes closed zombies look really good, especially for the time, maybe becuase you couldnt see the eyes maybe?:rockbrow: