View Full Version : Novels of the Dead

ssbib
19-Sep-2006, 01:38 PM
Thought I'd start a thread where people could talk about Zombies novels. Currently I've got the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z (just arrived today) by Max Brooks. Survival Guide is quality, not read World War Z yet but looking forward to it. I also have the complete Resident Evil series by SD Perry. Quality books there too if your into Resident Evil, if not, check em out anyway you may be suprised. What other Zombie books do you guys have? Is there anywhere you can get novelisations of Romero's Dead series?

Dawg
20-Sep-2006, 07:34 PM
I have both 'The Book of the Dead' and 'Still Dead' with short zombie stories. The latter is signed by Tom Savini, bought off of Ebay. I also have Russo's 'Night of the Living Dead' & 'Return of the Living Dead' novels, Resident Evil books up to 4 or 5. Wet Work which I saw years ago at Walmart, but didn't get it then and finally got it on Ebay a couple of years ago. Expands on his short story from one of the short zombie stories books mention above. A pre-release copy of Brian Keene's The Rising. And... the novelization of Dawn of the Dead in hardback!

:dead: Dawg

Deadman_Deluxe
20-Sep-2006, 07:56 PM
Thought I'd start a thread where people could talk about Zombies novels. Currently I've got the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z (just arrived today) by Max Brooks. Survival Guide is quality, not read World War Z yet but looking forward to it. I also have the complete Resident Evil series by SD Perry. Quality books there too if your into Resident Evil, if not, check em out anyway you may be suprised. What other Zombie books do you guys have? Is there anywhere you can get novelisations of Romero's Dead series?

Search for the DAWN and NIGHT novels/adaptations, you can pick the paperback's up for a couple of quid each, but i don't think there is any adaptation for DAY.

Also try THE ZOMBIE'S THAT ATE PITTSBURGH, that is pretty cool, expect to pay $50 - $75 for an unsigned paperback.

Then try THE BOOK OF FLESH and THE BOOK OF MORE FLESH.

WORLD WAR Z is a pretty good read, i just got finished with it last month and i reccomend you buy it IF it has been released over here already? Much better than the humorous survival guide.

livingdeadboy
21-Sep-2006, 12:36 AM
The Zombie Survival Guide, World War Z, Book Of The Dead, The Rising, City Of The Dead, Cell(if that counts) and the Resident Evil Books 1-6, don't have 0 yet.

Maitreya
21-Sep-2006, 06:57 AM
I thought Autumn was awesome... I want to pick up the other ones.

Some of the stories in the fiction section are actually not too bad also... Some of them are almost long enough to be considered novels too.

I'd recommend the Dead in the Water series, it actually keeps a bunch of the "humans being the real enemy" idea and the Dead of Winter series... I also personally liked the Legend of Pinky series, there were a few flaws in the writing but it was a cool story/idea at any rate

Chakobsa
21-Sep-2006, 09:05 AM
One that's worth checking out is "The Undead" zombie anthology published by Permuted Press. I'm about two thirds of the way through it and on the whole it's not bad, there's some uneveness of quality but that's only to be expected in this kind of collection.
The Rising is an interesting read, great action set pieces and engaging characters. It's not brilliant, but it's an easy book to like.
I think i'm on safe ground in saying that most "living dead/zombie" fiction is of American origin and whilst there is nothing wrong with that at all, I found "Autumn" to be a refreshing change, It's a very British take on the zombie story
and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Btw, I read the novel of Dawn of the Dead by GAR and Susanna Sparrow a long time ago, I
would say that it's worth a read but only for the die-hard fans.

Lee
22-Sep-2006, 09:53 AM
I wish I could get these books. But are all of these books about like the Romero-type zombies? Because I don't want any BRAIIIIINNNNSSS ROTLD zombie books, or other talking/intelligent zombies like The Rising and non-zombie zombie books like Cell.

ssbib
22-Sep-2006, 10:51 AM
I've noticed on Amazon you can get a novelization of Land of the Dead, I'll probably get that when I've finished World War Z. Quality.

Danny
22-Sep-2006, 02:32 PM
heh, just like my grandad, all mancoonians use the phrase "quality", its just rare to hear on a forum:D

heres my vote

autumn ~(unless your new to the forum you'll know im a fan of those:D )
monster island
s.d perrys resi novels, city of the dead is one of my favouite books
and in an online way that "ultimate zombie bookslist" had some cool ones, 36 hours being a lengthy and origional read.