PDA

View Full Version : What do you play the most games on?

LouCipherr
21-Sep-2006, 12:52 PM
Your PC/Mac (have to include you Mac peoples in there. :D) or console system?

Just curious...

I've always enjoyed PC games simply because if you have a good system and graphics card, no console out there could match the graphics and sound - but there is a certain playability that you get from a console and that handheld controller that you can't get from a PC too, so...

Which is your favorite to play games on?
What are some of the games you're currently playing?

For me, lately, it's been:

My PC, as usual (although I have an GC, XB and PS2)

Games being played: Company of Heroes, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 1942 w/the Desert Combat mod, and Quake 4 (multiplayer online only, I never play the single player stuff on games like that and Unreal Tournament, etc)

DjfunkmasterG
21-Sep-2006, 01:23 PM
I play A lot of sim gaims. RCT3, SIM CITY 4, I also play LOTD: RTFG, STubbs The Zombie, and Battlefield 2.

However, my gaming days kind of endedin January 2006. I haven't played anything since then.

Bunker65
21-Sep-2006, 03:27 PM
I was always more of a console gamer. Right now I am playing my Xbox 360. I've been playing the hell out of Dead Rising & just started Saint's Row. I have Prey waiting to be played as well.

I always liked the fact that I can sit in my recliner with a controller & play my games on my home theatre set-up. To me it was always a better experience then sitting at a computer desk playing on a 20 inch monitor with a mouse & keyboard. Just my humble opinion of course :).

CoinReturn
21-Sep-2006, 04:55 PM
Xbox 360 and PC nearly exclusively, but I find time to play PS2 now and again. Also, if anyone has Test Drive Unlimited and feels like cruising around Hawaii , send me a message on XBL.

hseiken
21-Sep-2006, 06:31 PM
PC games are more trouble than their worth, imo. I'd rather know I have the correct specs to run the desired software immediately without any digging around for drivers, patches, registration codes, etc.

Console all the way. You always play the game the exact way it was meant to be played with a console.

Danny
22-Sep-2006, 01:44 AM
PC games are more trouble than their worth, imo. I'd rather know I have the correct specs to run the desired software immediately without any digging around for drivers, patches, registration codes, etc.

Console all the way. You always play the game the exact way it was meant to be played with a console.

yeah ditto to that, the only pc game i can even enjoy playing withotu lag or crashing or aweful controls is black adn white, which is damn addictive i must say,

im a console gamer, the fact that its now wireless gameing and you can sit in your boxers in your recliner playing games is lazy and comfortable on a whole new level, sitting at a desk typeing away si to much like work to be fun for me.

Exatreides
22-Sep-2006, 02:38 AM
360 is pretty good for me, I have a crappy PC so the only things I play these days are CS and the ocasional Hearts of Iron 2

Cody
22-Sep-2006, 04:26 AM
I was always more of a console gamer. Right now I am playing my Xbox 360. I've been playing the hell out of Dead Rising & just started Saint's Row. I have Prey waiting to be played as well.

I always liked the fact that I can sit in my recliner with a controller & play my games on my home theatre set-up. To me it was always a better experience then sitting at a computer desk playing on a 20 inch monitor with a mouse & keyboard. Just my humble opinion of course :).

Toally agree bunker, just can't stand sitting at a computer with a stiff back, sore hiney from weird chair.

anyways, oblivion and dead rising have had me playing the 360 in my free time

LouCipherr
22-Sep-2006, 02:00 PM
interesting! A 60/40 split on PC/console. cool. :D

I've never had too much problem with specs and PC games 'cause I'm one of those freaks that always tries like hell (within his budget) to stay on top of the PC technology game as much as I can. I love consoles and console games, and I think a few years ago consoles were a realitively inexpensive way to play some damn good games, but I have one problem with them in the present: the prices on these next gen gaming systems (especially the PS3 those bastards at sony!!!) is pretty steep - lemme rephrase that - outrageous. For a few dollars more (ohh! clint reference!) you could almost get a nice computer to play all the games you want on and do other stuff, but I think the difference boils down more to what you're comfortable playing on - I know a LOT of people who LOATHE using the keyboard/mouse combo for playing games, and others like me actually think it gives you more playability than a console controller. I mean, I have 101 keys to use, a controller has on average around, what, maybe 20 buttons and sticks max?

I've never had too many issues with being stiff or uncomfortable at my PC while playing unless it's a marathon session of Quake or Battlefield with one of my friends who likes playing 3-4 hour shots of games. :D Plus, I have a pretty damn comfortable computer chair (thanks, Dj! :lol:) but again, I'm a freak of nature when it comes to my computer setup. :)

I might just change my mind if I had a XB360 or a PS3 (or a wii, can't leave you guys out) but at the moment I hear about problems with the 360, the PS3 and Wii aren't out yet, so I just can't bring myself to jump into the next gen consoles...yet.

...although if they don't release Dead Rising on PC, I think I'm gonna have to break down and get a 360 at some point. :lol:

LC

Danny
22-Sep-2006, 02:09 PM
which begs the question, has anyone actually had any problems with there 360's?, i got a faulty copy of kameo but thats it, and all the local games shops i asked didnt even know there was problems with dead rising, i think a lot of it is b.s by sony fanboys, dont get me wrong i love my ps2 its a damn fine console but you hear all these guys defending the ps3 and putting the 360 and the wii down all across the web so im doubtful youll get any problems with a 360.

my advice, buy one in a deal so for the same price as the launch cost youll get some games free, and buy pre-owned games rather than new , they go for £20 at my local game so thats a bit less strain on the wallet leather let me tell you.

LouCipherr
22-Sep-2006, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I've only heard 'rumors' of problems, no confirmed issues other than I did head some of the early 360's somehow scratched discs that were in the player - maybe from improper balance of the DVD in the drive? Dunno, but I'm sure i'll pick up a XB360 at some point - I don't see anything about Dead Rising coming out on the PC, so I guess that pretty much puts that decision to bed. :D

LC

Dommm
22-Sep-2006, 03:35 PM
I love PC games and console games, both are hooked to my 32 inch HDTV and my 360 has wireless controllers, also my pc has wireless keyboard and mouse, ultimate lazyboy, just have to stay in bed, I also have extension cables for the cube so it can reach to any end of my room. I havent had any real issues with my 360 had 2 disc read errors, both with oblivion, no other probs. Person that I work with had red ring of death recently but thats one out of 8 people that i know with a 360.

Maitreya
23-Sep-2006, 10:13 AM
I've lately been addicted to my Nintendo 64... I determined it's incredible.

And it will never fail, except maybe to the Wii, which will dominate everything and destroy cities in a Godzilla-like fashion.

DeadJonas190
24-Sep-2006, 04:11 AM
which begs the question, has anyone actually had any problems with there 360's?, i got a faulty copy of kameo but thats it, and all the local games shops i asked didnt even know there was problems with dead rising, i think a lot of it is b.s by sony fanboys, dont get me wrong i love my ps2 its a damn fine console but you hear all these guys defending the ps3 and putting the 360 and the wii down all across the web so im doubtful youll get any problems with a 360.
QUOTE]

It's funny you ask that because on Friday, September 22 Microsoft admitted that the initial launch units had a high rate of defective units and are fixing for free any systems that are defective that were made before January 1 2006. They are also refunding any money paid to those who had systems repaired that were manufactured before Jan. 1. Aparently it was a bad enough problem for them to actually admit fault and fix it else they would have continued to deny it.

For the record, I am not a Sony fanboy, I detest Sony for all the problems I have had with their game systems and other products over the years. I will be buying a 360 next spring as they are replacing their processors in January with processors that run cooler.... if I am any type of fanboy it would be a Nintendo fanboy.

Now, to answer the question that started this thread. Over the years I have gone from being a console player exclusivly to a PC gamer. However, around this time last year I switched to playing my Nintendo DS the most. There is just something about the portability and how I don't have to have a TV to use it that I like.

[QUOTE=Maitreya;38016]I've lately been addicted to my Nintendo 64... I determined it's incredible.

And it will never fail, except maybe to the Wii, which will dominate everything and destroy cities in a Godzilla-like fashion.

LOL

LouCipherr
27-Sep-2006, 12:27 PM
I've lately been addicted to my Nintendo 64... I determined it's incredible.

even more incredible than the Atari 2600? :lol:

MinionZombie
27-Sep-2006, 01:14 PM
PC, exclusively.

The last (and ONLY) console I had was the Mega Drive 2 (Sega Genesis 2), got that Xmas 1993 and played it endlessly, yet only had about 14 games for it. Thinking back, £45 for Sonic 3 was a bit much... :lol:

Then we got a PC with Windows 95 (in about 1997 :p) and I started playing games on that, such as:

Outlaws
Quake
Redneck Rampage (and Rides Again)
Carmageddon

And so forth, but that wasn't exactly equipped for long and was quite slow, especially by today's standards! It was good while it lasted, but once outmoded then it just sat around until we recently wiped it and gave it to a charity that reconditions old computers for 3rd world countries or something like that...

Anyway, the Win95 machine was 16mb RAM ... *thinks "bloody hell" when realising current gaming PC has 1024mb RAM*, then we got the one I'm on now, WinME with 256mb RAM and I was able to had a razz on the likes of Delta Force, Carmageddon TDR2000 and other such games.

Then I went off to Uni and bought myself an XP laptop and played quite a lot of games on there, like GTA3, Delta Force 2 (online - housemate was BIG on it), Postal 2 (although it was heinously slow) and then when it came time to get a desktop for video editing I made sure I could play games well on it too. Once I got that I ended up doubling the RAM and upgraded to an ATI Radeon 9600 (as far as it can go on that motherboard or whatever holds such things back :D), but yep, I've got a shedload of games to play on there, such as:

Doom 3
Half-Life 2
Call of Duty 2
Quake 4
Splinter Cell (all - roll on Double Agent, PLLLLLEEEEAAAASSSEEE work on my rig!!! :eek:)
Hitman (2 through 4)
SWAT 4 (and Stetchkov Syndicate)
Battlefield ('42, 'Nam and 2)

And so on, but these days it's struggling to keep up :(, games like FEAR don't run very well and are rather demanding (the engine was the main culprit), Condemned also was rather sluggish and required a lot of graphics to be turned down, recently tried that Just Cause game, didn't like it but it was also rather sluggish.

What I'd like to do, when I actually EARN some damn money (:eek:) is to get a new motherboard, whack in a load more ram and get a much better graphics card than I have now (it's done well up to now though) so I can catch up again. Of course, if I suddenly became flush with cash, I'd get an Xbox 360 - but only a PC is any good for an FPS game - WSAD + Mouse all the way baby.

I'll shut up now...

LouCipherr
03-Oct-2006, 11:44 AM
Whoa, looks like things have evened out a bit.. 9 to 10. Interesting...