PDA

View Full Version : Strapped to the wagon.

Tied2thetracks
22-Sep-2006, 09:06 AM
Last week I took a drunken digger and had 12 stitches sewed into my chin, I guess its a wake up to get my **** together. Monday I have to meet with a DR. who works with addictions, does anyone here know what I can expect? I am affraid of of going and I don't know what they are going to ask . Is anyone willing to share a similar expieriance and give me a heads up as to what is going to be discussed?

Tricky
22-Sep-2006, 04:42 PM
Be totally honest,open about everything,admit you have a problem & that you want help :)
Ive not been treated for addiction,but i have been treated for OCD which is like an addiction in itself,albeit a mental one

kortick
22-Sep-2006, 04:54 PM
you dont have to worry about anything

the people there are trying to help you

at first you will just tell them about yourself
and the recent events of your life

they will ask you why you are interested
in changing your ways now
what is different that you want things stopped

then they will acess your level of need
and then start to help you on the road
to being yourself again

they are aware you will not
suceed right away
so dont beat yourself up if you slip
just get back in there and work it out

if you wanna chat in detail
you can PM me anytime

dont be worried
it isnt bad
you will be ok

MikePizzoff
22-Sep-2006, 07:27 PM
That was a beautiful poem, Kortick.

Arcades057
22-Sep-2006, 07:50 PM
Well it all depends. When I was selling drugs I was eventually caught and told I had a drug use problem... even though my urine was clean, even though I didn't fit the "abuse profile." I had to listen to endless crap about "to solve your problem you have to admit that you have one!" for the whole 18 months I was on probation.

They told me when it was over "see you soon!" I guess because I was still adamant that it was not drugs I was addicted to, it was the money FROM the drugs.

So long story short, I still haven't used anything. I don't get drunk. I smoke cigarettes, but that's it.

They'll tell you that you're powerless over your addiction; that's BS. YOU are in control of your addiction. Don't want to drink anymore? Stop. Not all at once, maybe, but slowly curb it back until you don't anymore. Start drinking lots of coffee, I guess, that's what my dad did. But don't start telling yourself "I have no power in this" because then you'll be one of those losers who hasn't had a drink in 20 years but still goes to AA because they suck and have no friends and no one talks to them because all they do is talk about how many years they've been clean and how many shiny friggin keychains they have and give everyone crap who hasn't "found their higher power" or gotten a stupid sponsor who is even WORSE off than they are.

Don't be that guy. You rock. :D

Debbieangel
22-Sep-2006, 11:00 PM
Last week I took a drunken digger and had 12 stitches sewed into my chin, I guess its a wake up to get my **** together. Monday I have to meet with a DR. who works with addictions, does anyone here know what I can expect? I am affraid of of going and I don't know what they are going to ask . Is anyone willing to share a similar expieriance and give me a heads up as to what is going to be discussed?
My hubby is a recovered alcoholic now for over 22 or 23 yrs now...he dont go to AA..he did at first it helped him then he moved past that. Maybe AA is where you need to be it depends on you? Hey ask your Dr. millions of questions when you see him/her!!!
Are you going in hospital to dry out first or straight to rehab?
I will tell you how brave my husband was and is..he works at the hospital and he put himself in to dry out then he went to the local Rehabilition center.
Really T2tT's this is all gonna depend on you..how serious you want this??
Listen to the Dr. if you dont trust this Dr. then find one that you do trust!! Then do as he/she says that is best for you. I don't know you so, it's hard to tell the level of addiction you have...my husband was drinking a case and a half of beer every day/day and a half. If you are married I am hoping your wife will support you in what you are doing...if not do it for yourself!
I will say this and I am not going to preach we relied alot on our faith! There again I dont know how you believe.
OOh sorry I didnt say what to expect..this is what happened to my husband
1. He was admitted to hospital to dry out. Some people are given antibuse its a drug if you drink its supposed to make you sick. I dont really know my husband wasnt on it. He was in hospital 4 or 5 days
2. He went into Rehab for 28 days for counseling, also marital counseling.
I am not gonna say it has been easy actually life has been soo much better!
I hope this has helped you in some small way!!!
Hey ya want to talk pm me and I will goto chat anytime!
A promise I wont preach to you!!!!!!!! :)

Tied2thetracks
23-Sep-2006, 06:05 AM
I'm not getting admitted, just going to talk to someone at an out patient thing. Now thats getting canceled because my insurance says I need to drive an hour to their guys instead of 10 minutes to my guys. So we'll see if any of this happens at all.

Adrenochrome
23-Sep-2006, 04:47 PM
I've had to deal with booze in the past....dreadful stuff!
I tried doctors - they didn't work for me.
I tried a drug called Antaibuse ( Disulfiram (http://www.healthyplace.com/medications/disulfiram.htm) ) - if you drink one drop of aclohol when on this stuff, you get the worst headache of your life. Didn't work for me, I stopped taking it.
I tried AA - but there were too many whining hypocrites in there for me......BUT, I did get something out of Bill's Blue Book (the AA bible) - highly recommended.
It's hard to beat, but like anything else, with patience and control, you can beat it. That's what I learned. And, I got tired of talking about "my problem" (Talking about it and admitting it is great and should be encouraged - for me, I got tired of talking about it and needed to take action.) I had to get mad at myself instead of mad at "the problems". I didn't hold a grudge against myself or fold into a depression - I tried to stay as positive as possible until I didn't feel the urge or have the craving to get "snot slinging drunk".
I still drink a few beers now and again. I do NOT sit with a gallon of Tequila and get so twisted I don't know my name or my planet anymore.

good luck to you,

Tom

Eyebiter
24-Sep-2006, 12:55 PM
Lot of people end up feeling loss when they quit drinking. Look at it instead as an opportunity to change your life.

To stop drinking booze.

1. Stay away from bars.
2. Don't keep any booze in the house.
3. Avoid places were booze is served or consumed.
4. Make friends with people who don't drink.
5. Take up hobbies to fill your evening hours.
6. To avoid a dip in your social life start attending church.
7. Don't stay home alone on the computer, get out and do something.

BTW: if you are a severe booze hound then the cravings will pop up on occasion during the first few weeks. If you exercise on a regular basis and take vitamins it will help flush out your body.

Adrenochrome
24-Sep-2006, 01:10 PM
BTW: if you are a severe booze hound then the cravings will pop up on occasion during the first few weeks. If you exercise on a regular basis and take vitamins it will help flush out your body.

yes, that's VERY important!! Especially the excersise. Too much booze makes one anxious and fidgety when you come down (sober up)
I found that Cranberry Juice helps with the detox - sort of neutralizes you
All of your advice is spot on, tho.

Debbieangel
24-Sep-2006, 11:14 PM
Lot of people end up feeling loss when they quit drinking. Look at it instead as an opportunity to change your life.

To stop drinking booze.

1. Stay away from bars.
2. Don't keep any booze in the house.
3. Avoid places were booze is served or consumed.
4. Make friends with people who don't drink.
5. Take up hobbies to fill your evening hours.
6. To avoid a dip in your social life start attending church.
7. Don't stay home alone on the computer, get out and do something.

oooh yes all the above...change your habits that attract you to the booze!
I wont pretend to know how you feelbut what everyone else is saying is really good advice take it to heart!!! Good luck to you!