PDA

View Full Version : Romero Sueing Capcom

Minerva_Zombi
29-Sep-2006, 05:26 PM
Is it true that Romero is sueing Capcom for the Resident Evil series and Dead Rising? I heard it from a few people, but i think it's complete crap. Can anyone deny or confirm?

CoinReturn
29-Sep-2006, 05:38 PM
I haven't heard of this. There is a disclaimer on the Dead Rising box that says "This game was not developed, approved or licensed by the owners or creators of George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead". I don't think he has the grounds to sue, does he?

ssbib
29-Sep-2006, 06:21 PM
I dont think Romero has grounds to sue for Dead Rising but he might be trying I dont know. However, I really doubt he's sueing over Resident Evil as it is many many years now after its creation so I think if he was going to do it he would've done a long time ago. He was meant to direct the films but was axed. Romero cant sue because all Resi Evil has in common with his films is Zombies, in which case can he sue everything else that has zombies in it? Dont think so, hope its not true.

Andy
29-Sep-2006, 06:47 PM
the first resident evil game was made in 1997.

if he was going to sue, he would of done it before now.

MinionZombie
29-Sep-2006, 06:51 PM
Where on earth did you hear this? This post is the first I'd heard of such a rumour, to be honest, GAR doesn't strike me as the sort of chap who'd be bothered suing someone - he's too laid back for that kind of thing, he's certainly no businessman so I don't think he's behind any such legal action.

As for suing Resi and Dead Rising - pfft, there's no ground to stand on to sue, surely the case with the Da Vinci Code says it all.

If he's busy doing Diary of the Dead, I doubt he'd have time to sue ... this'll be nothing but a daft rumour I'm sure.

Maitreya
29-Sep-2006, 07:05 PM
Yea... He seems wayyy too friendly to want to sue anyone.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g313/0mirror1mirror0/GeorgeA.jpg

Look at that smile.

Look at those glasses.

Does that look like someone that would sue Capcom?

p2501
29-Sep-2006, 07:55 PM
last time on meaningless bullshi t.........

this reaks of "well i heard it from my cousin, who read it on this message board, from a guy who knows Tom Savini....."

Danny
29-Sep-2006, 10:24 PM
no. he isnt.

the game case says "does not have any connection to geroge a romeros dawn of the dead".

total b.s man.

Rottedfreak
30-Sep-2006, 02:09 PM
Romero directed the japanese ad for Resident Evil 2, he did a movie script of Resident Evil that was very faithful to the game but sadly rejected because it was too violent so this story can only be false.

DrSiN
01-Oct-2006, 04:34 AM
I'm 99.9% sure this is just a BS rumor. The license owners of Dawn of the Dead might (and I stress might) have a case against Dead Rising but I doubt it. All that it really has in common are the mall setting. The rest is different. RE isn't even close to GAR style zombies so no case there.

Danny
01-Oct-2006, 11:29 AM
they aint zombies in resi at all there just sick people, i remember reading an interview with the lead developer saying that's how they got away with it.

Rottedfreak
01-Oct-2006, 12:58 PM
I didn't realise flesh eating walking corpses had been patented by Romero. That's the only similarity to the movies and the quadrology is not unique in using them. I suppose a SWAT team, helicoptors, handguns and shotguns are also stolen too, as is the inclusion of living human characters.
The zombies in Resident Evil are undead but only by a biological weapon, in some of the games you'll find them pushing themselves out of graves and emerging from body bags at mourges. Some files suggest living people affected by the virus rot to a state of living death, the Keepers diary in the first game (Resident Evil, Directors Cut, Deadly Silence) is one such example. In Resi 2, you find a wounded police officer called Marvin Branagh who later gets to his feet and changes instantly before the characters eyes, In Resi 3, in one street scene you hear a guy being killed and when you find him and kill of the zombies, wait a bit and he'll rise.
In a way this breaks them down to two kinds of zombie, undead - was dead before rising and zombie - rotted to death and these progress into two other kinds of enemies - Crinsom heads and Lickers.

Danny
01-Oct-2006, 01:19 PM
nice to see another resi fan who knows his stuff, but what do you think about creatures like tyrant, are they mutated like the hunters or undead like crimson heads?

Rottedfreak
01-Oct-2006, 05:45 PM
The Tyrant is the T virus acting successfully, less then 1% of humans can become a Tyrant.

Andy
01-Oct-2006, 06:33 PM
they aint zombies in resi at all there just sick people, i remember reading an interview with the lead developer saying that's how they got away with it.

no, the T-Virus kills them then re-aminates the body.

The Tyrant is the T virus acting successfully, less then 1% of humans can become a Tyrant.

no, no-one becomes a tyrant by infection, the tyrant is created by applying a series treatment of T-virus, steroids and surgery.

p2501
02-Oct-2006, 12:47 AM

no, no-one becomes a tyrant by infection, the tyrant is created by applying a series treatment of T-virus, steroids and surgery.

i thought they also cyberneticly enhanced the Nemesis series in addition to the other treatments.

Danny
02-Oct-2006, 12:49 AM

fool me once shame on me...

"The T-Virus, similar to any other virus, is essentially a protein crystal with a RNA core. Once the virus makes contact with cell, it is able to infiltrate into nucleolus, and manipulate the cell’s DNA, ultimately resulting in the T-virus becoming an essential part of the cell. As the cell begins to replicate through mitosis, the virus is copied with each division.

Over a period of time, the T-virus will destroy a cell’s mitochondria, and replace with a special organelle, which produces a newfound form of energy. As the body becomes self sufficient on this energy, the respiratory and circulatory will become vestigial, ending the body’s dependence on oxygen.

While Edward Ashford, the co-founder of the Umbrella Corporation, intended to use this method to better the medical community and humanity, his partners chose to exploit it. By manipulating the virus’s genetic structure, James Marcus was able to create the regeneration process only if the host’s body begins to sacrifice its own cells to help fuel the process. Ultimately, this degeneration will lead to the grotesque deformities of its host. Because of the host’s rotting flesh and impaired intelligence, the newborn creatures were simply referred to as “Zombies”.

It should be noted that the host of the virus need not be deceased at the time of infection. If the host is alive during the time of infection, one’s frontal lobes will slowly deteriorate, insidiously deprecating one’s intellectual and higher thought process. The cerebellum will soon take control of the body, resulting in irrational and animalistic behavior. Symptoms of infection include painful skin irritation, unsatisfiable hunger, and spontaneous outbreaks of antipathy towards people or inanimate objects.

If the host is subdued after the virus is able to take control of the body, it will enter a dormant state. During this period, the body will undergo a metamorphosis, resulting in the host being rejuvenated with stronger muscular and skeletal features. Also, the metamorphosis will force blood to exfoliate through the skin, giving a host a more ghoulish appearance, which is complimented by the growth of deadlier claws and teeth. Though these fiends, formally known as “V-ACTs”, posses incredible destructive capabilities, it should be noted that once they were killed, they will not regenerate. Furthermore, either incinerating or decapitating the corpse of a slain carrier can prevent metamorphosis"

fool me twice shame on you...

"According to research conducted by the Umbrella Corporation, less than 1% of humans exposed to the T-Virus possess the potential to mutate into Tyrants. This is due to the presence of Beta Hetero Nonserotonin, a special hormone that is secreted by the brain during its prepubescent years. Furthermore, the hormone is only secreted when one is placed under a significant amount of stress.

If the virus is able to find a suitable host, it will dramatically increase one’s size, strength, and agility. It will also lead to the development of several lengthy acicular blade-like structures on one’s arm. While the T-Virus is rather advantageous to its host, it should be noted that the subjected host will be forced to endure a prodigious increase in adrenaline, causing the heart to expand and protrude through the chest. Furthermore, most of the original breeds of Tyrants were plagued with grotesque facial deformities, as well as an acute decline in intelligence."

Andy
02-Oct-2006, 12:17 PM
fool me once shame on me...

"The T-Virus, similar to any other virus, is essentially a protein crystal with a RNA core. Once the virus makes contact with cell, it is able to infiltrate into nucleolus, and manipulate the cell’s DNA, ultimately resulting in the T-virus becoming an essential part of the cell. As the cell begins to replicate through mitosis, the virus is copied with each division.

Over a period of time, the T-virus will destroy a cell’s mitochondria, and replace with a special organelle, which produces a newfound form of energy. As the body becomes self sufficient on this energy, the respiratory and circulatory will become vestigial, ending the body’s dependence on oxygen.

While Edward Ashford, the co-founder of the Umbrella Corporation, intended to use this method to better the medical community and humanity, his partners chose to exploit it. By manipulating the virus’s genetic structure, James Marcus was able to create the regeneration process only if the host’s body begins to sacrifice its own cells to help fuel the process. Ultimately, this degeneration will lead to the grotesque deformities of its host. Because of the host’s rotting flesh and impaired intelligence, the newborn creatures were simply referred to as “Zombies”.

It should be noted that the host of the virus need not be deceased at the time of infection. If the host is alive during the time of infection, one’s frontal lobes will slowly deteriorate, insidiously deprecating one’s intellectual and higher thought process. The cerebellum will soon take control of the body, resulting in irrational and animalistic behavior. Symptoms of infection include painful skin irritation, unsatisfiable hunger, and spontaneous outbreaks of antipathy towards people or inanimate objects.

If the host is subdued after the virus is able to take control of the body, it will enter a dormant state. During this period, the body will undergo a metamorphosis, resulting in the host being rejuvenated with stronger muscular and skeletal features. Also, the metamorphosis will force blood to exfoliate through the skin, giving a host a more ghoulish appearance, which is complimented by the growth of deadlier claws and teeth. Though these fiends, formally known as “V-ACTs”, posses incredible destructive capabilities, it should be noted that once they were killed, they will not regenerate. Furthermore, either incinerating or decapitating the corpse of a slain carrier can prevent metamorphosis"

whats your source for this this? ive been a avid resi fan since the first game and ive never heard of this :p

fool me twice shame on you...

"According to research conducted by the Umbrella Corporation, less than 1% of humans exposed to the T-Virus possess the potential to mutate into Tyrants. This is due to the presence of Beta Hetero Nonserotonin, a special hormone that is secreted by the brain during its prepubescent years. Furthermore, the hormone is only secreted when one is placed under a significant amount of stress.

If the virus is able to find a suitable host, it will dramatically increase one’s size, strength, and agility. It will also lead to the development of several lengthy acicular blade-like structures on one’s arm. While the T-Virus is rather advantageous to its host, it should be noted that the subjected host will be forced to endure a prodigious increase in adrenaline, causing the heart to expand and protrude through the chest. Furthermore, most of the original breeds of Tyrants were plagued with grotesque facial deformities, as well as an acute decline in intelligence."

and again, whats your source on this? the tyrants are created by a series of hormonal and steroid treatments during the T-Virus's infection, they also need surgery to make their body grow to correct propertions to be a tyrant, and umberella have only ever made 3 tyrants successfully, and only ONE of those had claws (T-001 - resident evil 1 tryant).

:|

DeadJonas190
03-Oct-2006, 05:12 AM
I didn't realise flesh eating walking corpses had been patented by Romero. That's the only similarity to the movies and the quadrology is not unique in using them.

That is not a real word, it was just made up for the Alien box set. The actual word is tetrology.

Sorry, the geek in me came out when I read that.

Rottedfreak
03-Oct-2006, 08:25 AM
All that info was on Weskers Report which came free with limited editions of some of the later games and it's also up at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrant_%28Resident_Evil%29.
There are many Tyrants, the one in the first Resident Evil was labeled 002, the proto Tyrant in Resident Evil Zero was labeled 001, in Resident Evil 2 the Tyrant Seeker in scenario B is labeled 103 and the Tyrant in Code Veronica is 092. In Resident Evil Survivor it was revealed Sheena Island produces many Tyrant Seekers and since Sheena was mentioned in Zero that confirms it's canon.
Nemesis was a Tyrant that had a parasite.

Danny
04-Oct-2006, 10:49 PM
what he said, plus theres some stuff about the nemesis involving lisa trevor but only if you count the remake as ture resident evil canon, but hromonal implants?, dont know were you heard that, sounds kinda like something you'd see being advertised by an L.A surgeon:lol: