PDA

View Full Version : Issac Hayes quits south park

Enzomatrix
13-Mar-2006, 11:23 PM
Co-creator of show says singer had no trouble mocking Christians
HAYES
Jennifer Graylock / AP file
Isaac Hayes says he can no longer stomach "South Park's" jokes about religion.

Updated: 4:49 p.m. ET March 13, 2006

NEW YORK - Isaac Hayes has quit “South Park,” where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Hayes, who has played the ladies’ man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

“There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins,” the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

“Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored,” he continued. “As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices.”

“South Park” co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, “This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he’s cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians.”

Last November, “South Park” targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called “Trapped in the Closet.” In the episode, Stan, one of the show’s four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won’t come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker “never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin.”

can you say complete and utter hypocrit i knew you could.

jdog
14-Mar-2006, 12:16 AM
that sucks chef was my fav

AssassinFromHell
14-Mar-2006, 12:40 AM
According to these implications, Hayes was one of those pompous little scientoligsts. You know what that means? He's one of them religiously-confused Hollywood losers with no life.

Bummer. No Chef. Bye-bye SP.

Eyebiter
14-Mar-2006, 02:47 AM
While I'm no fan of L. Ron Hubbard or Scientologists in general, I think he has a valid point about the quality of the show.

Used to be South Park was more focused on being funny, now it's an exercise to see how much gross and disgusting crap they can get away with. The last two seasons of South Park have really gone downhill.

MinionZombie
14-Mar-2006, 10:00 AM
Damn that sucks, Chef was a kick ass character on the show ... I wonder how they'll deal with the loss in season 10?

And yep, that's hypocrisy alright - another friggin' scientologist - but that show came out a good few months ago, and only now he's buggering off? What is it with those fruits? They can take less questioning and satire than Islam for crying out loud!

The only reason so many celebs are into it is because it goes on about how to beat addiction and deal with great wealth - it's not a religion, it's a friggin' seminar, cloaked in utterly retarded sub-par science fiction. I have to say I'm disappointed in Isaac Hayes for being so hypocritical - you would have thought by now celebrities would have learnt and understood that word by now...geez.

Mike
14-Mar-2006, 12:21 PM
Hypocrisy at its best.

I liked Matt Stone's response regarding hayes' reasons. Absolute classic.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Mar-2006, 03:11 PM
No big loss in my opinion. South Park was funny, now it is just stupid and tiresome.

MinionZombie
14-Mar-2006, 03:12 PM
What peed me off was the HUGE gap between the first and second half of the ninth season ... and that episode about the whale ABSOLUTELY SUCKED. It's not like it used to be, and they do focus on the issues a tad too much. You can have issues, but be a bit more subtle about it.

But the scientologists should expect bad press, they're a bunch of self-indulged Hollywood morons, it was made up by a science fiction writer you goddamned idiots!!! Grrr!

DjfunkmasterG
14-Mar-2006, 03:22 PM
Since I loathe Tom Cruise... simply because he spouts off about that poor excuse for a hobby as religion, I can't hate Travolta for it. After the disaster that was Battlefield Earth he pretty much clammed up about scientology. He still practices, but is not quite so vocal about it.

Maybe Cereval and I will become huge hollywood players and we can start our own religion... zombie based of course.

or maybe a support group for the ethical and sensitive treatment of the recently mobile deceased. When you think about it... zombies are people too, just really dead, ugly, and smelly people. :D

Burbank
14-Mar-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm supprised South Park hasn't hit scientoligsts before. I mean they must have done nearly every other religion and this one being so big with Hollywood it was prefect South Park fodder.

bassman
14-Mar-2006, 05:11 PM
or maybe a support group for the ethical and sensitive treatment of the recently mobile deceased. When you think about it... zombies are people too, just really dead, ugly, and smelly people. :D

Were'nt you one of the ones against Big Daddy and where Romero was going with the smart/protagonist zombies in "Land"?:rockbrow:

Dawg
14-Mar-2006, 05:47 PM
Attention Matt Stone & Trey Parker:

Have Issac Hayes come to South Park and him and Chef get into some beef and they end up kicking each other's @$$e$, classic Blacxpolition style like Hayes did in the '70s. Now that would take care of two birds with one stone. You kill off Chef and belittle Hayes at the same time.

And at the very end, mention something about Scientology again, hehehe!

:dead: Dawg :skull:

p2501
14-Mar-2006, 07:32 PM
meh. cool for hayes, for standing up i suppose. but at this point who the hell cares?

all this serves to do is make scientologists look more and more culttastical.

Cody
14-Mar-2006, 09:28 PM
I''m not a fan reall but they'll probably kill of chef and continue on with the show. SP can have some offensive jokes that can take it over the line.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Mar-2006, 10:33 PM
Were'nt you one of the ones against Big Daddy and where Romero was going with the smart/protagonist zombies in "Land"?:rockbrow:

Yes, and it was because Eugene Clark has as much talent as Pauly Shore...Hold that thought... I think Pauly is more talented. However, I was making a reference to Shaun of the Dead and the whole Zombaid thing. I guess someone doesn't know their zombie movies very well.

idsaluteyoubub
14-Mar-2006, 10:39 PM
Meh. South Park can go on without Chef and Hayes. Hell, the past few seasons showed a decline in the appearance of Chef, and Chef kind of lost his hilarity after the first few seasons, in my opinion. I can still watch it without him...but I wonder what everyone else will think.

I think Hayes is eating his words now after what Parker and Stone said with him not caring about ripping on Christians, but when it comes to his "religion" he goes all up in arms about it. He will probably shut up about the whole thing now...

warrior woman
15-Mar-2006, 02:58 AM
:confused: I'll miss my helping of salted chocolate balls.:dead:

bassman
15-Mar-2006, 05:30 AM
Yes, and it was because Eugene Clark has as much talent as Pauly Shore...Hold that thought... I think Pauly is more talented. However, I was making a reference to Shaun of the Dead and the whole Zombaid thing. I guess someone doesn't know their zombie movies very well.

Nah, man. I was just making the connection between to how Romero wanted the audience to feel for Big Daddy and his followers.

Not looking for an argument here, chief. Just cracking a little joke. I agree with you that Clark was a bad choice for Big Daddy. But there is already a thread for this so there's no point in talking about it here. And yes....I do know Shaun. I've seen it more times now than I can count:p

Danny
15-Mar-2006, 05:33 AM
The only reason so many celebs are into it is because it goes on about how to beat addiction and deal with great wealth - it's not a religion, it's a friggin' seminar, cloaked in utterly retarded sub-par science fiction. I have to say I'm disappointed in Isaac Hayes for being so hypocritical - you would have thought by now celebrities would have learnt and understood that word by now...geez.

damn straight every time i hear about those scientology OR intelligent design guys my blood boils.