PDA

View Full Version : Next Masters Of Horror

Minerva_Zombi
09-Oct-2006, 04:09 AM
As much as we wished it would happen, Romero, Carpenter, Argento, and Craven won't be around forever. Which of the new breed of horror directors will be the next master of horror? Alexandre Aja(HighTentsion,The Hills Have Eyes)? Eli Roth(Hostel,Cabin Fever)? Danny Boyle(28 Days Later)? Who do you think will be a Master of Horror 30 years from now?

Danny
09-Oct-2006, 04:17 AM
i dont think there will be any, cinema is less than a century old and proper horror movies have had a good 50-60 year run but now there all rehashes and nothing origional or new becuase, like other cartoons and the simpsons, its all been done allready.
cant say owt about alexandre aja as ive never seen on of his/her movies.
as for eli roth hes a hack who makes cheap films with insaanely predictable outcomes that look like a 12a compared to the likes of takeshi miike.
as for danny boyle he's getting on a bit now and even counting shallow grave thats only two semi horrors to his name.

it was bound to happen but horror is finally becomeing "main stream" and as such, boring and uninspired. especially western cinema, asian in particular korea are responisble for the best horror films since the dawn of this decade/millenium. (case in point i saw r type earlier, its worth checking out)

though hopefully things like tarantinos new double feature project and the few 3-d films coming out now they will revive some of those old ways of seeing films that were not just grazeing on popcorn and looking at a screen.
especially since hollywood is getting antzy about how they cant herd us like sheep anymore and we know there rehashing **** ideas.

Minerva_Zombi
09-Oct-2006, 04:21 AM
that is true, but i mean people who loved frankenstein and dracula said the same thing about chainsaw, last house, and the living dead films. at least those were original. people who love the old timey horror flicks hated the new brand of gore/exploitation films. so, only time will tell really

Danny
09-Oct-2006, 05:24 AM
very true, especially since people are now more into indie and foreign cinema.

case in point (and i aint advertising) but would the people on hpotd rather whach deadlands ,a indie zombie film, or the new chainsaw film, a hollwood (:rolleyes: ) mtv generation style horror.

it may be because ive only recently seen these two but i know id go indie over hollywood ny day, and now its easier to spread your indie films around and get your name out there hollywood cant cope.

heres my point, right now im currently working on a zombie style film called 'reaction' with some freinds, as well as working on a video game, im directing a video for a band and working on a novel, all different mediums but its why the indie industry does it, for fun and to entertain.

cus i garuantee all and i mean all are a little bit of a show off, cmon guys admit it ,if i can you can, and entertaining comes before the "ca-ching!".

Minerva_Zombi
09-Oct-2006, 06:11 AM
Rob Zombie. Next Master of Horror. The Devil's Rejects was the best horror film of 2005.

But also, you can't say that everything made now is a complete rehash and everything from the 70's wasn't. NOTLD, Romero openly says he stole the idea from Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend". Last House On The Left was originally known as "The Virgin Spring" by Ingmar Bergman. Chainsaw of course was based off the story of Ed Gein. (Which idea was done done 14 years earlier in a little film called "Psycho"). I mean, eventually, you have to rehash ****. There are no more original ideas in the world. Everything comes from something else.

Danny
09-Oct-2006, 12:13 PM
except otakus, no one knows were the frigg they came from.:lol:

Dommm
09-Oct-2006, 12:25 PM
I personally think that horror movies will become old hat and horror game will come in where people participate in the horror movie. After all more effort seems to go into the (b-movie) scripts and storyline (b-movie) of games these days then into the movies.

Danny
10-Oct-2006, 07:33 AM
a damn good point there, look at games like alan wake, who knows in a few years you may see something like "deadlands 3 for the pc an interactive zombie apocalypse":lol:

Geophyrd
10-Oct-2006, 12:26 PM
I didn't have much use for Cabin Fever, which was like a dystopic gore reel with little redeeming story.

But Hostel kicked my hostile butt. Wow...it got me from the first five minutes and by the end, I was exhausted. Jeez, could such places actually exist?

If that's the quality of the new horror filmmakers, we're in pretty good hands.

As to Carpenter, Romero and Argento getting old...it happens to the best of us. I wish Carpenter would get back to making good movies (Ghosts of Mars, Escape from LA were unwatchable IMHO), Romero would get the financing to make the movies he wants to make and Argento...best thing he ever made was Asia.

Sigh...horror's definitely in transition. It always is, but the good news is that the tongue in cheek Scream-alikes are over. Scary movies are getting back to scary.

Now, if we could just get Wes Craven to stop making bad movies...anyone going to see the original Nightmare on Elm Street? Now there was a kick ass movie. When did Craven stop making movies like that.

Moon Knight
10-Oct-2006, 05:23 PM
Rob Zombie has a great future as a horror director. House of a 1000 corpses was a decent film and The Devils Rejects fixed all the problems that film had. Im curious as to what his new Halloween flick is gonna be like.

capncnut
15-Oct-2006, 02:54 AM
Rob Zombie. Next Master of Horror. The Devil's Rejects was the best horror film of 2005.

Hells yeah! The Devil's Rejects is in my top 10 flicks of all time. It's a shame he killed off the main characters 'cos I'd love to see another Firefly movie get made.