PDA

View Full Version : Can we arm school staff now?

Tied2thetracks
09-Oct-2006, 08:17 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,218878,00.html

I'm telling you. its the way to go. A senator from WI acutually is proposong it. Its sad that its came to this, but it is what it is.

My stance:

A police officer at school, the assigned post

Have several staff memeber trained in weapons use, have them carry firearms or have them radily available.

You anti gun folks will have issues with it, you'll have more issues when this moves to your niegborhood.

axlish
09-Oct-2006, 08:27 PM
My solution?

Larger class size, much like a huge collegiate ENG 1102 auditorium, and have an armed resource officer in each classroom. Seriously, it'll work. We don't need smaller classrooms and more teachers.

Adrenochrome
09-Oct-2006, 08:32 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,218878,00.html

I'm telling you. its the way to go. A senator from WI acutually is proposong it. Its sad that its came to this, but it is what it is.

My stance:

A police officer at school, the assigned post

Have several staff memeber trained in weapons use, have them carry firearms or have them radily available.

You anti gun folks will have issues with it, you'll have more issues when this moves to your niegborhood.
I'm not "anti gun" AND this is "in my neighborhood" - about 2 hours south of me.
I will go along with police officers at assigned posts, but not arming teachers. My reason, there are alot of teachers in public schools that have the mentality of a doorknob and shouldn't be teaching in the first place. Give them a weapon and they'll be trigger happy because their minds are as underveloped as the kids they "teach". Teachers can go "postal", too, ya know? What if we arm said teachers and the news starts reporting "Student Shot Because Teacher Was Afraid/Paranoid"? then what would you suggest? Just because someone is trained to use a weapon does not neccesarily mean they are mentally capable to use it when it would be required.

But,......DAMN! What's going on these days???!!!

My solution?

Larger class size, much like a huge collegiate ENG 1102 auditorium, and have an armed resource officer in each classroom. Seriously, it'll work. We don't need smaller classrooms and more teachers.

That's a good start! And very logical.

Tied2thetracks
09-Oct-2006, 08:37 PM
Having finished High School I realize they have idiots in the building. Trained staff does not mean everyone have a gun. If you have a employees with weapons training, former military, if give them the option.
If you have competent people on your staff, give the option to carry firearms in case **** goes down.

Maitreya
09-Oct-2006, 08:38 PM
My solution?

Larger class sizes is the worst possible thing that could happen for education. When there's larger class sizes there's less possibility for one-on-one with the teacher, and thus less of a chance of effective learning.

I don't know how you'd solve the security problems short of metal detectors and guards, but larger class sizes is not the answer: It's just not worth sacrificing education for.

Exatreides
09-Oct-2006, 08:43 PM
Is it seriously that hard to talk to kids?

Christ.

Tied2thetracks
09-Oct-2006, 08:51 PM
You cant make a law forcing parents to care. I look around at the prego skanks I went to high school with and know their hands off approach to child care. People are raising freaks and are somewhat proud of it.

Parents need to wake the hell up or sit in jail with their kids.

Adrenochrome
09-Oct-2006, 08:54 PM
Parents need to wake the hell up or sit in jail with their kids.
the key there is "sit in jail with their kids." Confinement for a week in a small cell with no windows and one toilet. Feed them spam sandwiches and water.

Exatreides
09-Oct-2006, 09:07 PM
Well if a teacher notices a kid being violent or any behavior problem, or a counsler or something like that, they should report it. Stop shoving random pills down kids throats that retard growth and don't do any damn good. None of this **** happend in the 60's and 70's. Not because kids couldn't get access to guns but because it was never ever considered a option for them to do, arming teachers and putting cops in schools will make the shootings less severe but will not ever stop them, and could encourage them more so. The only way to stop them is by talking to the kids.

axlish
09-Oct-2006, 09:12 PM
Larger class sizes is the worst possible thing that could happen for education. When there's larger class sizes there's less possibility for one-on-one with the teacher, and thus less of a chance of effective learning.

I don't know how you'd solve the security problems short of metal detectors and guards, but larger class sizes is not the answer: It's just not worth sacrificing education for.

The one-on-one time is for earlier education. If you aren't able to learn on your own by high school, then you need to be in a more specialized institution of learning.

Exatreides
09-Oct-2006, 10:00 PM
Yes thats what the horribly ranked American education system needs, bigger classes! Lets have all their papers in Korean to! That will help about as much.

axlish
10-Oct-2006, 12:59 AM
Yes thats what the horribly ranked American education system needs, bigger classes! Lets have all their papers in Korean to! That will help about as much.

You are concentrating on the state of things, and not thinking about why we are having the problem. So lets ask the question, why is it that our education system is suffering? Because children are unruly, and cannot be controlled by the teacher, and the classroom continues a negative spiral until all children are effected. My proposal keeps the children in line, and makes them do what they need to do to actually learn, PAY ATTENTION. Troublemakers will be weeded out.

I am guessing your solution would include hiring more teachers, at low pay, and building more schools. Solutions need to be created within the parameters of current budgets. Throwing money at the problem doesn't help. My proposal gives the teacher the edge he/she needs, so they can do what they do, TEACH.