PDA

View Full Version : What makes batteries explode?

Tied2thetracks
10-Oct-2006, 06:31 PM
I have a small clock on my entertainment center, been there five years now. This morning it is found on the floor, the face popped out of the frame and teh top of teh battery was popped off.

Just curious if anyone knew what caused this, if it is the clock or the battery to blame.

Neil
10-Oct-2006, 06:57 PM
I had a wireless mouse go bang in my hand once, and I mean BANG!!!

MinionZombie
10-Oct-2006, 07:10 PM
:eek:

Did that hurt? Are we talking a *pop* or something in the region of Dell laptops? :D

I guess if the battery had been in there for a long time, and probably if it was often in sunlight, then maybe that made the battery explode - I'd reckon it was the battery rather than the clock that caused the mantlepiece high dive.

Adrenochrome
10-Oct-2006, 07:10 PM
Several years ago I was working maintenance at an apartment complex and was changing out 9v batteries in smoke detectors. I put one in my pocket that had some loose change (coins) in it....the battery (pos and neg leads) touched the loose change and that bastard heated up REAL quick!!!! It felt like someone was jabbing me in the leg with a hot iron!

Neil
10-Oct-2006, 07:41 PM
:eek:

Did that hurt? Are we talking a *pop* or something in the region of Dell laptops? :D

I guess if the battery had been in there for a long time, and probably if it was often in sunlight, then maybe that made the battery explode - I'd reckon it was the battery rather than the clock that caused the mantlepiece high dive.

No... But I think I screamed out like a big girl!

The mouse actually blew apart - the battery cover flew off. And the batteries were open and leaking acid!

Tied2thetracks
10-Oct-2006, 07:42 PM
I know heat/sunlight wan't to blame, its Wisconsin, we don't have either.
I had batteries in a boom box blow up once, but that was in use for a long time and in crappy weather.

MikePizzoff
10-Oct-2006, 08:27 PM
Several years ago I was working maintenance at an apartment complex and was changing out 9v batteries in smoke detectors. I put one in my pocket that had some loose change (coins) in it....the battery (pos and neg leads) touched the loose change and that bastard heated up REAL quick!!!! It felt like someone was jabbing me in the leg with a hot iron!

That happened to my guitarist at practice once. We were jamming on a song and out of nowhere he stopped and started screaming like a girl. It was hillarious, especially because we had absolutely no idea why he was suddenly screaming and jumping around trying to get his hand in his pocket.

Adrenochrome
10-Oct-2006, 08:39 PM
That happened to my guitarist at practice once. We were jamming on a song and out of nowhere he stopped and started screaming like a girl. It was hillarious, especially because we had absolutely no idea why he was suddenly screaming and jumping around trying to get his hand in his pocket.

Man, it's extreamly painful.....it went from a cold battery to scorching hot within seconds. I'm just glad I wasn't "hanging to the left", if you get my meaning, Mr. frodo.;)

I have a small clock on my entertainment center, been there five years now. This morning it is found on the floor, the face popped out of the frame and teh top of teh battery was popped off.

Just curious if anyone knew what caused this, if it is the clock or the battery to blame.

was it a back-up battery to an electrical clock? or was the clock running on only the battery?

Tied2thetracks
11-Oct-2006, 02:59 AM
the clock was only running on the battery.

p2501
11-Oct-2006, 05:50 PM

i had the same thing happen with a 9v and some paperclips in my breast pocket.

I still have scar from it.

kortick
12-Oct-2006, 03:10 PM
the problem is people dont understand ohms law

the voltage of a battery may only be 9 volts
and the current is minimal

but put something in there that will change the resistance
or cause a short that does so
and you will get a massive surve in amperage
especially if you hit a resonant area

and power is I x V= W

when the resistance changes
the amperage(I) can increase
and then the voltage (V) combine in a
multipling factor
causing the watts (W) to disipate thru either massive heat
or a massive short (explosion)

on old trick played at electonics school
was to place a battery pack in the toilet tank
and then put the leads into the water
then you pour conductive salt into the bowl itself

the next guy who takes a pee
gets a shock
as the electricity flows out the bowl
and up the pee stream and zap on the head of his unit

you had to check the toilets to say the least

bassman
12-Oct-2006, 04:49 PM
on old trick played at electonics school
was to place a battery pack in the toilet tank
and then put the leads into the water
then you pour conductive salt into the bowl itself

the next guy who takes a pee
gets a shock
as the electricity flows out the bowl
and up the pee stream and zap on the head of his unit

you had to check the toilets to say the least

dah! That's not funny, man. That's just cruel. I can't even begin to imagine getting shocked in that region.
:barf:

Adrenochrome
13-Oct-2006, 12:23 PM
dah! That's not funny, man. That's just cruel. I can't even begin to imagine getting shocked in that region.
:barf:

LOL,....years ago, some friends and I were "mushroom hunting" in a cow pasture...One of my buddies had to take a leak and relieved himself on an electric fence. He screamed, flew to the ground and cried like a baby.

bassman
13-Oct-2006, 12:28 PM
LOL,....years ago, some friends and I were "mushroom hunting" in a cow pasture...One of my buddies had to take a leak and relieved himself on an electric fence. He screamed, flew to the ground and cried like a baby.

:lol:

Similar thing happened to one of my buddies except as we were about to enter the pasture, he didn't consider that the fence may be electrified so he just ran and jumped right onto it with both hands and feet. I've never heard a person make that kind of noise.:lol:

His limbs were shaking for the rest of the night.