PDA

View Full Version : Got me a new LAPTOP-Alittle review

DjfunkmasterG
14-Oct-2006, 07:41 PM
Well, my last laptop I gave to my DP because his was on the fritz he needed it, and I didn't pay him much to work on the film and originally was selling it to him, but decided to just let him have it.

I just bought the new HPDV9008nr from BEST BUY today. it was on special for $999.99. Now this is not some super laptop but it does have an NVIDIA 6150 video system with 256mb of dedicated ram on the card. I read the reviews between this model and the model from Circuit City which is the DV9005US and that has an ATI card (X600) w/128mb of ram and was $100 more expensive.

Well I drove over to Best buy and they had none on display but a ton in stock. The guy had the easiest sale i just walked in and said give me this model and then check me out please.

of course BEST BUY is not going to let you out the door without trying to hock a HUGELY over priced extended warranty plan ($350.00). I of course declined because the HP warranty, 1 year, + their extended is cheaper and better.

Now the details

HP DV9008nr Laptop
17" High Definition Tru Bright WXGA LCD
Extended keyboard panel with Numeric pad (awesome on a laptop and something I use.)
Altec Lansing speakers
100GB HDD (5400 RPM)
1gb of DDR 4200 Ram (I added another gig to it)
AMD Turion 64 X2 Duo Core Processor
Nvidia 6150 Go video w/ 256mb DDR Dedicated ram
8x DVDR/RW Writer with lightscribe
Bluetooth
Windows XP Media Center (WIN XP pro with enhancements is all it is)
and a bunch of useless software I never use and was immediately deleted when i turned it on the first time.:D (freed up 1gig of space doing it)

Now, I have Used AMD processors for the last 4-5 years and they are hands down the most efficent and offer the best bang for the buck. not toomention INTEL couldn't even get their act together and 64 bit and duo core technology so they had to license the technology from AMD.

If you need a decent laptop on a tight budget, like this $1,000.00, I recommend this as a BEST BUY for mid-line laptops.

Dj

zombie04
14-Oct-2006, 08:54 PM
congrats on the purchase. i've been thinking of getting one sometime in the future, but i'm still shopping around until i find something in my price range that's worth it. i guess first i just need to get a job.

HLS
14-Oct-2006, 09:18 PM
Laptops are good if you need something to move around with you or if you need to save on space.

LoSTBoY
14-Oct-2006, 09:59 PM
Uh-oh, Best Buy!

I'm from the UK and I know not to shop there. :p

Good that you didn't get the warranty as you are basically paying for a piece of paper.

Still, nice laptop. Better than my rig. :(

Related: http://www.bestbuysux.org/index1.html

Danny
14-Oct-2006, 10:06 PM
nice laptop, speaking of bargains i got a new film camera today, guess everyones going high tech lately:cool:

MinionZombie
15-Oct-2006, 11:25 AM
Everyone is indeed going high-tech, I'm still sitting here kinda confused by the magic paint on my new DVX that doesn't let fingerprints adhere ... it's witchcraft!!! :eek:

Nice laptop by the sounds of things there Dj, you should be able to play Alan Wake on that ... damn you!!! (I so wanna play it, but I'll never manage it) ... if only I could win a load of cash out of the blue (a million on the premium bonds would be nice) - then I'd get my desktop ripped apart and have a whole new load of computer muscles chucked in to beast it up BIG STYLE so it could even kick the ass of Crysis! Now that'd be sweet ... *sigh* ah well, will just have to do with playing HL2 smoothly (even with HDR on ... mostly) and waiting for that mystical creature that is "STALKER"...

DjfunkmasterG
15-Oct-2006, 12:29 PM
Everyone is indeed going high-tech, I'm still sitting here kinda confused by the magic paint on my new DVX that doesn't let fingerprints adhere ... it's witchcraft!!! :eek:

Nice laptop by the sounds of things there Dj, you should be able to play Alan Wake on that ... damn you!!! (I so wanna play it, but I'll never manage it) ... if only I could win a load of cash out of the blue (a million on the premium bonds would be nice) - then I'd get my desktop ripped apart and have a whole new load of computer muscles chucked in to beast it up BIG STYLE so it could even kick the ass of Crysis! Now that'd be sweet ... *sigh* ah well, will just have to do with playing HL2 smoothly (even with HDR on ... mostly) and waiting for that mystical creature that is "STALKER"...

Not much of a gamer MZ. I dabble, but I would rather film, edit, or post on message boards. Hell I am even selling off my some of DVD collection because I don't even watch movies anymore. I have a TV I don't use and a DVD player collecting dust. I even took my Blockbuster online membership from 5 out at a time to 3 out ata time because there is just nothing worth watching anymore.

I am sick of being pandered to by Hollywood with all these teen flicks and PG-13 garbage. In my honest opinion the last good movie I watched was BATMAN BEGINS that was a year ago. I went to one movie this year, CARS, because PIXAR are the kings at CG animation and deserve my $11.50.

I would rather sit on a PC and read or write, then watch TV anymore. Every cable channel is all Bush this, Bush that, or they talk about IRAQ, or the upcoming election, the corruption in Washington DC, or whatever stupid political BS is the flavor of the day.

However, the main point of the laptop was to use it as a playback device on set. There is a program called Serious magic DV Rack which is this cool little resource program you can hook your camera into. It allows you to check lighting for the scene, and even record footage to your HDD on the laptop. My DP showed it to me and I want to get it. Now I just need to go buy the program since I already have the laptop. =)

MinionZombie
15-Oct-2006, 05:51 PM
lol, you need to kick back with some fictional TV shows and a doobie I think. :D

Danny
15-Oct-2006, 06:10 PM
yeah exactly, and buy a gameboy dammit!:lol:

MinionZombie
15-Oct-2006, 06:13 PM
Everybody step back, hellsing's off on another one of his ":D/:lol:" rampages :eek::dead:...

Hopefully your new laptop won't blow up on your lap like a Dell and has a better battery life than my laptop, which will run when doing nothing for 90 minutes but as soon as you wanna do anything it's start dropping before your eyes, so my laptop isn't exactly mobile ... not beyond a plug socket anyway.

A computer ... without playing games? Now that is a strange thought...

CivilDefense
16-Oct-2006, 04:34 PM
Just a mention, If you get a laptop at Costco, or on the Costco website, you can return it up to 6 months later, with no reason, and get your full amount paid back..

Just sayin.

capncnut
16-Oct-2006, 04:51 PM
you need to kick back with some fictional TV shows and a doobie I think.

S'okay for some. Isn't there a major weed drought in the UK?

LouCipherr
16-Oct-2006, 05:01 PM
A computer ... without playing games? Now that is a strange thought...

That's not a strange thought, that's BLASPHEMY!!! :lol:

Don't let him fool ya - he's played his share of games prior to Deadlands going into production, but since then he slacked off all together to work on the movie. I ALMOST got him to play some games last week, but his internet connection was on the fritz and wouldn't allow it.

Soon.. :elol:

Neil
16-Oct-2006, 06:20 PM
Well, my last laptop I gave to my DP because his was on the fritz he needed it, and I didn't pay him much to work on the film and originally was selling it to him, but decided to just let him have it.

I just bought the new HPDV9008nr from BEST BUY today. it was on special for $999.99. Now this is not some super laptop but it does have an NVIDIA 6150 video system with 256mb of dedicated ram on the card. I read the reviews between this model and the model from Circuit City which is the DV9005US and that has an ATI card (X600) w/128mb of ram and was $100 more expensive.

Well I drove over to Best buy and they had none on display but a ton in stock. The guy had the easiest sale i just walked in and said give me this model and then check me out please.

of course BEST BUY is not going to let you out the door without trying to hock a HUGELY over priced extended warranty plan ($350.00). I of course declined because the HP warranty, 1 year, + their extended is cheaper and better.

Now the details

HP DV9008nr Laptop
17" High Definition Tru Bright WXGA LCD
Extended keyboard panel with Numeric pad (awesome on a laptop and something I use.)
Altec Lansing speakers
100GB HDD (5400 RPM)
1gb of DDR 4200 Ram (I added another gig to it)
AMD Turion 64 X2 Duo Core Processor
Nvidia 6150 Go video w/ 256mb DDR Dedicated ram
8x DVDR/RW Writer with lightscribe
Bluetooth
Windows XP Media Center (WIN XP pro with enhancements is all it is)
and a bunch of useless software I never use and was immediately deleted when i turned it on the first time.:D (freed up 1gig of space doing it)

Now, I have Used AMD processors for the last 4-5 years and they are hands down the most efficent and offer the best bang for the buck. not toomention INTEL couldn't even get their act together and 64 bit and duo core technology so they had to license the technology from AMD.

If you need a decent laptop on a tight budget, like this $1,000.00, I recommend this as a BEST BUY for mid-line laptops.

Dj

I'll stick with my super cheapy £269 one thanks :)

MinionZombie
16-Oct-2006, 07:07 PM
lol, a strange segway for the thread, but that's the HPOTD way ... had no idea there was a shortage, but in America it's probably free flowing, so Dj will be alright - otherwise he can snort up some prime "Coovan" HPOTD, ha! I remember there being a bit of a drought a couple of years ago when I was at uni, my housemates were going spare ... I was indifferent. :D

LouCipherr
16-Oct-2006, 09:25 PM
S'okay for some. Isn't there a major weed drought in the UK?

For the love of all that's holy (and for the sake of MZ's sanity), I surely hope that's not the case. :lol: