PDA

View Full Version : While we're on the subject of rotting corpses, let's discuss the PS3...

capncnut
16-Oct-2006, 05:35 PM
I really do believe Sony have blown it. We all knew that the PS3 was delayed until March in the UK but now insiders have revealed that there simply aren't enough blue laser diodes to go round. The same insider also stated that roughly half of Sony's orders will be met by Xmas and that they have stopped shipping the diodes to other companies to safeguard Sony's supply. This will probably mean that the amount of PS3's shipping in the US will be drastically cut down to keep Japanese pre-orders at a maximum (remember the 360 shortage on release in Europe?). Anyway, it looks like another 360 victory this Xmas and I'm sure the Microsoft team are cracking open the bubbly!

Bunker65
16-Oct-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm sure Microsoft & Nintendo are just loving any trip up that Sony is having with the PS3, of which there have been many.

I thought that MS & Nintendo were going to win this holiday season before & this just seals it for me.

Danny
16-Oct-2006, 05:51 PM
as a games company sony is washed up microsoft and nintendo are the only two companys we need and if a certain games thread regulars avatar is right who knows how that may end up?:lol:

Rottedfreak
16-Oct-2006, 06:02 PM
PS3 will sell because it's meant to be better then the 360 and is cool. A couple of months ago a PS mag printed a four page article and had the folowing to say about PS3's arrivals
Xbox 360 - botched launch mean it will never find it's footing.
Wii - dead on arrival, developers pissing thjemselves laughing at remote and say they cant port games because of it.
PC - doomed, PS3 can offer everything they do and will be cheaper.
Then E3 came and the usual stuff about PS2 and PS3 previews came up but absolutely no further comparison to the competition, no form of trash talk only things like it being worth waiting for, value for money, the best choice.
Sony has made many mistakes with this, one exec said the competiton alienated their userbases with their prices! They might want to pull their heads out their arses once in a while.

capncnut
16-Oct-2006, 06:08 PM
Wii - dead on arrival, developers pissing thjemselves laughing at remote and say they cant port games because of it.

360 has BOTH feet firmly on the ground at the moment, trust - Sony are quaking it. As for the Wii, most people I talk to say it's their console of choice. Sony have done nothing more than rip off these two full stop.

The PS3 pads don't even have rumble 'cos a vibrator company was gonna sue 'em! Hehe.

Danny
16-Oct-2006, 07:01 PM
PC - doomed, PS3 can offer everything they do and will be cheaper.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

everything there is bull, i smell a sony fanboy.

360 wasnt a botched arrival, espeically compared to the ps2
the wii is far from dead on arrival even on the most sony leaning forums people would rather have a wii over a ps3 ,i know i would
and how can the pc be "doomed", its not a game's console?

once again,:lol:

capncnut
16-Oct-2006, 07:17 PM
once again,:lol:

And again. :lol:

MinionZombie
16-Oct-2006, 08:09 PM
Oh go on, one more - :lol:

PC will never be doomed. PC gaming is always ahead of the console curve, that's the great thing about the constant adaptability - which however is something only serious/hard-core gamers can be bothered with. I'm a serious FPS nut, so it's been FPS gaming for me ever since we got our first PC (I've only owned one console - Mega Drive 2).

PC gaming will never die - it's been at the sheer, cutting edge for so many years now. By the time a console has gotten a couple of years old, they're still working with the same tech, just getting a bit more out of it gradually - PC gamers however are making huge Half Life 2 style leaps and bounds.

Nintendo have their own niche market, so they'll be around for a long time. Sony are targeting the Western market in a much more brutally corporate fashion and have been met with some unfortunate (for them) competition in the form of Microsoft, who have seen the Western market and seized it as they themselves are a Western corporation.

We had an Xbox at uni and it was so much fun, serious fun (all guns and cars ... some football). The Wii and Nintendo in general target the family arena or group gaming on the softer side of things. MS and Sony (although them less so) target the adult market a lot more with violence, guns, bloodshed, sex and yet more gory violence ... oh how good it is too.

But PC will never die - just look at Crysis - it's the next big thing to hit gaming and it's coming soon - to PC.

Half Life 2 smacked gaming upside the head big style two years ago ... it's only just been ported to 360, beforehand on Xbox after a significant wait and at a lot lower resolution - another thing the PC has over the consoles. While consoles can now get you to the clarity of 1024 resolution, PC gaming is up to and possibly beyond 1600 ... with High Dynamic Range lighting. :cool:

slickwilly13
16-Oct-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm happy with my 360. I have no interest in PS3 at this time. Sorry Sony. Just wasn't impressed with the games besides Fall of Man. 360 has a better line up this x-mas. If somone gave me a PS3 I would most likely sell it to some sucker on ebay.

capncnut
17-Oct-2006, 04:28 AM
If somone gave me a PS3 I would most likely sell it to some sucker on ebay.

Or if you want some terribly expensive fun you could always take a sledge hammer to it... "...this one's for the DreamCast!" :elol:

Danny
17-Oct-2006, 07:14 AM
YES!, thatd be great since my brother did in fact smash my dreamcast with a sledgehammer!:lol:

LouCipherr
17-Oct-2006, 12:08 PM
MZ is correct - these bozos who think that PC gaming is going out the window because of a console system are competely and utterly out of their freakin' mind. Sure, you can play some awesome games on the PS3 i'm sure, but you will never rival the ability of a PC with a console. In two years while that PS3 is still working on that same hardware & video card, I'll have an nvidia 8900 GT card in my machine that will make the PS3 look like a friggin' Atari 2600.

PC gaming history? Don't think so. Nice try, but those console fanboys need to check their brain at the door next time.

::shakes head:: where do people come up with this sh*t?

slickwilly13
17-Oct-2006, 06:46 PM
I couldn't bring myself to smash a PS3. The profit margin earned would be too great. I'd end up kicking myself in the ass for it. I still have a DC, btw.

MikePizzoff
17-Oct-2006, 08:53 PM
everything there is bull, i smell a sony fanboy.

360 wasnt a botched arrival, espeically compared to the ps2
the wii is far from dead on arrival even on the most sony leaning forums people would rather have a wii over a ps3 ,i know i would
and how can the pc be "doomed", its not a game's console?

Same thing I was going to say. Total fanboy.

If the 360 was so "botched on arrival" please tell me how it was virtually impossible to find a farking store carrying an XBOX 360 system for months after it's release.

capncnut
17-Oct-2006, 09:25 PM
i smell a sony fanboy...

...and Blu-Ray smells like the Betamax! :D

Tricky
17-Oct-2006, 09:31 PM
I imagine there will be a lot of 360's on ebay when the ps3 drops,microsoft are bathing in the glory at the moment,& they've got a good headstart,but sony will come up with the goods again ;)
If i want to play microsoft games (which i do) il play them on my PC!Il be having one of sony's machines when it comes out though

Danny
17-Oct-2006, 09:47 PM
...and Blu-Ray smells like the Betamax! :D

word.:D

Rottedfreak
18-Oct-2006, 12:18 PM
You did read my full post, I was refering to what the article from a PS2 mag put down the same rag took a pop at Gameboy, Ipods, portable DVD players and DS when PSP was set to launch.
If you really want to see how PS3 compares to other consoles look no further then comparison shots at this link:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30411
I'm in no way surprised at the difference. The 360 and PS3 are comparable and both have better lighting effects then the Wii version. There is however one thing the screens cant show, apparently the Wii version has a better framerate.

p2501
18-Oct-2006, 02:37 PM
I imagine there will be a lot of 360's on ebay when the ps3 drops,microsoft are bathing in the glory at the moment,& they've got a good headstart,but sony will come up with the goods again ;)
If i want to play microsoft games (which i do) il play them on my PC!Il be having one of sony's machines when it comes out though

the thing is with that, Sony is counting on alot of support from their thrird party developers. whcih given the fact the era of the "console exclusive" is almost dead, i think their business forcast is faulty.

Halo3 and GTA4 will be the absolute widowmaker for PS3. the only real balls out game PS3 has on deck at this point is Metal gear 4. which to be honest, we all know it'll get an eventual get a 360 release with added content just like MGS2: Substance did. So even MGS4 is a tempory solution to the underlying probelm with sony's mentality. Further where is Sony's online gaming? they keep touting and online market place, and for two years now it has yet to materialize.

the bottom line is they're doing nothing to retain their foothold in the market. Hell they've all but abondoned the PSP. which is amusing because up untill a few weeks ago i was more than willing to dump money into it for new games. Now i just use it to watch pirated movies and TV shows i missed, at work.

Sony has proven to me, and i suspect a number of other gamers, that they've no interest in gaming, just profit.

Danny
18-Oct-2006, 05:21 PM
ive said it before and ill say it again now resident evil, silent hill, metal gear, final fantasy ect. are multiplatform (AND THATS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE DAMMIT!) sonys screwed, without final fnatasy 7 and metal gear solid the ps one launch would have been ****.
my 360 is a ssit down in forn tof a loud explosion for a few hours and play against freinds online, in short lazyboy gameing and the wii is more active, make a prat of yourself in front of your mates gameing, which is just as fun only one is for when you have freinds round the other is to shoot each other online from the confort of your armchair.
then theres the ps3 which is basically a light show like those ones for toddlers from fisher price and as much as i loved my ps2 theres nothing ,NOTHING, that will attract me to a ps3, and the fact they stole, word for word the online press sheet for there online games off the xbox live press release from 2 or 3 years ago AND, as much as sony fan boys would like to differ they DID steal the wii's motion sensor idea at the last minute and lets face it if your console looks like a cross section of a trash can and the logo is the same font as spidermans movie logo you know there going downhill, i think it will have some fans but its definatly going the way of the dreamcast and the gizmondo.

slickwilly13
18-Oct-2006, 05:32 PM
To be honest, FF7 and Castlevania: SOTN are the games that sold me for PS. Dynasty Warriors 2 & 3, Kessen, and FF10 convinced me to buy the PS2. I have no regrets buying a PS or a PS2.

p2501
18-Oct-2006, 05:42 PM
excellent point Hellsing.

i had forgotten about the motion sensor issue. which thinking about it is assinine, why would you dump rumble features for a tilt sensor. atleast the WII has a full range of pick up for motion. the ps3 is basicly just tilt the controler forward or backward .

Rottedfreak
18-Oct-2006, 07:17 PM
Nintendo comes up with a anologue stick, Sony come up with adding analogue sticks to the PSone pad, Nintendo come up with a rumble pack, Sony comes up with the Dual shock, Nintendo - incorperating touch screen and microphones on DS, Sony - so far rumor and speculation in regards to PSP successor, Nintendo - Wiimote, Sony - sensor pad.
During E3, Sony exec states sonsor tech and rumble tech are incompatible and "rumble tech is soooo last generation..." then the company they stole the Dual shock off of pulls off a controller with both.
Gets worse, Sony wont include Dual sensor pads with PS3 to keep prices low. It's already £425 what's a extra £5 - 10 gonna do?

You know what the sad part of PS3 is? it's the very console that wowed gamers with it's graphical capabilities during the unveiling of.... the Emotion engine in 1999. Remember all those fantastic tech demos? all that stuff that never manifested on the half baked PS2 that came out the oven?

capncnut
18-Oct-2006, 07:24 PM
I really don't care what console has the most memory, has the most features, has the biggest d**k! At the end of the day, consoles come down to games... step forward 360. Look at the current library of games the 360 has to offer right now. Now look at the 'alleged' launch line-up of the PS3. It's DIRE! Devil May Cry 4 is the only game I want from Sony (Metal Gear is on it's last legs and Killzone can just kiss my ass!), now what games to you think Sony want from Microsoft - er, all of 'em! With the announcements that Microsoft have secured all next-gen versions of FIFA and PES for a whole year, Rockstar and Capcom deciding to go multiformat and promising simultaneous release dates AND the 360 already having games that Sony have yet to release (a friend of mine played Condemned on PS3 at a German games festival and said there was NO difference whatsoever - he was even playing it on a 360 joypad!!!) I can hear the bells of death a-calling for Sony. I was once a massive Sony fanboy but now I'm really not so sure. I personally think the PS3 is just a sneaky way for them to try and forge Blu-Ray into the marketplace. I for one will not buy this console and many, many friends of mine who once swore allegiance to Sony are now turning their backs on them.

p2501
19-Oct-2006, 02:19 PM
you know, i still don't see what all the fanfare over Killzone is all about.

Killzone still stands as the only game i've ever boughten and returned in the same day. and that's with a 45 minutes drive each way to the gamestop store i shop at. The game was just abyssmal, and i don't see how killing retarded kids in the armor from Jin-Roh is in anyway entertaining.

capncnut
19-Oct-2006, 03:08 PM
Killzone still stands as the only game i've ever boughten and returned in the same day.

Ooh, I can feel a thread comin' on...

DeadJonas190
20-Oct-2006, 04:23 AM
During E3, Sony exec states sonsor tech and rumble tech are incompatible and "rumble tech is soooo last generation..." then the company they stole the Dual shock off of pulls off a controller with both.
Gets worse, Sony wont include Dual sensor pads with PS3 to keep prices low. It's already £425 what's a extra £5 - 10 gonna do?

What is even worse is that there was a Playstation controler that had both tilt and rumble and it was released around 98-99. Yes, a Playstation controler with those features, I believe it was put out by Pelican, but I may be wrong on the manufacturer.

Sony has definatly made a lot negative press with the PS3. At the Blockbuster/Game Rush I work at most of the customers that I have talked to that are on our call list for the PS3 are telling us that they don't want it, they want the Wii, they just want the PS3 for a quick Ebay profit.

The call list is another story all together. Since Sony will not gurantee us any (yes, I said any) Playstation 3's, we are taking phone numbers and names and if we get any in we are going to call the people on the list in order that they signed up. If they want the PS3, they have a little while to come in and get it otherwise it goes to the next person on the list. I think we will get 3 PS3's launch day if we are lucky.

capncnut
20-Oct-2006, 12:09 PM
At the Blockbuster/Game Rush I work at most of the customers that I have talked to that are on our call list for the PS3 are telling us that they don't want it, they want the Wii, they just want the PS3 for a quick Ebay profit...

...I think we will get 3 PS3's launch day if we are lucky.

At the local GameStation near to where I work, my pal is telling me the exact same thing. Almost everybody who has pre-ordered the PS3 are going to put it out on E-bay for a tidy profit.

As for getting 3 PS3's on launch day in the US, I wouldn't hold your breath my friend.