PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear Mr Snipes!

Neil
18-Oct-2006, 10:13 PM
Seems someone hasn't been paying their taxes!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6059920.stm

An arrest warrant has been issued for Hollywood actor Wesley Snipes, who is charged with dodging millions of dollars in taxes.
The 44-year-old star of Demolition Man and Blade is accused of failing to file tax returns and falsely claiming nearly $12m (£6.4m) in refunds.

Prosecutors say he faces up to 16 years in jail if found guilty.

Mr Snipes' former accountant has already surrendered to authorities, but the actor's whereabouts are unknown.

His spokesman was not immediately available for comment.

The charges allege Mr Snipes failed to file tax returns between 1999 and 2004, and conspired with two men to defraud the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), which collects taxes in the US.

Prosecutors say Eddie Kahn and Douglas Rosile, both from Florida, attempted to make it look like the actor had no liability for income tax.

The actor has not yet been located, said US Attorney Paul Perez
Mr Kahn's firm, American Rights Litigators, is said to have fraudulently argued that US citizens could only be taxed on income earned overseas.

Mr Rosile, who was an accountant for the firm, is accused of illegally preparing tax returns for Mr Snipes on this basis.

He has surrendered to authorities while Mr Kahn is believed to be in Panama.

Mr Snipes, who was born in Orlando, Florida, has been a Hollywood actor for 20 years.

His first role was in Goldie Hawn's 1986 American football comedy, Wildcats, and he later appeared in the video for Michael Jackson's Bad, which was directed by Martin Scorsese.

The actor also appeared in hit films such as White Men Can't Jump, New Jack City and the Blade trilogy.

Later this year, he is due to start filming an historical epic based on the life of Haitian military leader Toussaint L'Ouverture.

MikePizzoff
18-Oct-2006, 10:26 PM
Oh man. For some reason I kind of feel bad. Maybe because he might get his ass handed to him in jail.

capncnut
19-Oct-2006, 12:22 AM
Are you kidding? This is Blade were talking about here? He'll break out and go on a rampage within seconds of being sentenced!

Cody
19-Oct-2006, 03:36 AM
hes an idiot, if you have that much money anyways just pay the damn taxes

Danny
19-Oct-2006, 04:00 AM
Are you kidding? This is Blade were talking about here? He'll break out and go on a rampage within seconds of being sentenced!

yeah...this is also the star of white men cant jump:rolleyes:

deadpunk
19-Oct-2006, 04:40 AM
:lol: Bwhahahahahahahahaha:lol:

F*ck him, he can't act anyway...:p

MinionZombie
19-Oct-2006, 11:08 AM
Hmmm ... saw one of his latest movies was some sh*t budget straight to DVD crapfest ... I wonder if this tax thing is somehow going to give him a book deal, or a magazine deal at least with some talk show time - his "tax hell" rather than "drugs hell".

Somehow I doubt he'll go to jail for 16 years - but it's all good press - guaranteed he makes something good out of it, apart from the Blade flicks, what has he done lately that's been good?

_liam_
19-Oct-2006, 11:46 AM
the movie where he was a transvestite was funny.

hopefully when the police turn up at his house he'll get the uzis out.

Neil
19-Oct-2006, 12:03 PM
the movie where he was a transvestite was funny.

hopefully when the police turn up at his house he'll get the uzis out.

Not seen it... Isn't it just a "Hollywood" copy of the awesome "Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert"?

LouCipherr
19-Oct-2006, 12:08 PM

That was exactly what I was going to post. I mean, he's already got tons of money, wtf do you need to cheat on your taxes for? :rolleyes:

Let 'im go to jail. No major loss.

deadpunk
19-Oct-2006, 01:32 PM
Where's Carl Weathers when we need him, baby?!

Frag Blade...bring on ACTION JACKSON!

Dtothe3
19-Oct-2006, 02:11 PM
That was exactly what I was going to post. I mean, he's already got tons of money, wtf do you need to cheat on your taxes for? :rolleyes:

Let 'im go to jail. No major loss.

Why? So America can carry on dropping bombs on the village goat exchange?

The amount of places he gets around though I woulda thought he'd have been ineligable.

deadpunk
19-Oct-2006, 02:58 PM
Why? So America can carry on dropping bombs on the village goat exchange?

First of all; thats way off-topic.

Secondly, that's not all our taxes pay for.

Third, I pay them. I make a hell of alot less money than that fool and have three kids to support.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time, Wesley. :evil: It's about time they crucified one of these celebrities that thinks they are above repoach from the laws the rest of us obey unerringly.

Dtothe3
19-Oct-2006, 03:22 PM
It's more a strike at the american system. If you're a celeb you can kill your wife and no-one will bat an eyelid. But do a little fraud that hits the government and they can't get you in jail fast enough.

Didn't mean it as a flame.

capncnut
19-Oct-2006, 04:16 PM
Where's Carl Weathers when we need him, baby?

Weathers would destroy Snipes in a fist fight.

Neil
21-Nov-2010, 09:45 AM
So after four years, he's finally told to go to prison...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11802817

Danny
21-Nov-2010, 01:06 PM
aint gonna lie, i thought he was in the jiont for a few years already.

acealive1
21-Nov-2010, 02:34 PM
this is BULLSHIT! i've seen some retarded shit in my time,but cmon man. lindsay lohan gets caught with coke like 12 times dating back 6 years and gets no jail time any time she's been busted? same with paris hilton? but snipes goes to jail for doing something that isnt illegal. thats fucked up. maybe he shoulda pulled the 'its not mine' routine like lohan did when she crashed a car and had a pound of coke on her :shifty:

only thing that would justify this is hearing lohan finally od'd

rongravy
21-Nov-2010, 03:08 PM
wheeeeeeee, blade's going to jail. if that was me, i'd already have done my time. wanna play, you gotta pay...

MikePizzoff
21-Nov-2010, 03:47 PM
but snipes goes to jail for doing something that isnt illegal.

Dude, tax evasion is completely illegal.

Yojimbo
21-Nov-2010, 08:32 PM
Not seen it... Isn't it just a "Hollywood" copy of the awesome "Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert"?

"To Wong Foo" was also about transvestites on a road trip - not exactly a copy of Pricscilla which was a superior film. Still, "To Wong Foo" had it's moments. Snipes and Leguizamo were pretty good, though the late Swazye not so much.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

this is BULLSHIT! i've seen some retarded shit in my time,but cmon man. lindsay lohan gets caught with coke like 12 times dating back 6 years and gets no jail time any time she's been busted? same with paris hilton? but snipes goes to jail for doing something that isnt illegal. thats fucked up. maybe he shoulda pulled the 'its not mine' routine like lohan did when she crashed a car and had a pound of coke on her :shifty:

only thing that would justify this is hearing lohan finally od'd

Yeah, I detest that insipid Lohan too, but it was a different type of case. Obviously Lohan has a substance abuse and attitude problem, and the court system is now treating these folks as having a condition that needs to be remedied through treatment rather than viewing them as total criminals. However you might stand on Lohan being an unrepentant criminal or just a druggie, Snipes knowlingly evaded paying taxes - which is clearly a criminal offense (they same one they got Al Capone for) and totally illegal - that you and I and the rest of our law abiding fellow Americans have to pay. Hell dude, if I have to pay my taxes then so should he.

Tricky
21-Nov-2010, 08:51 PM
Sounds like you guys have a similar system to ours, where celebs get off most charges just because of who they are! Especially premiership footballers. They have the power to take out "super injunctions" now as well which bans the press from printing anything (true) about them that they want to cover up, like shagging prostitutes when they have wives and kids, or in the case of a certain former spice girls husband, that he likes boys as well as girls. I've always wondered how rock stars get away with it too, its always widely known how many of them are abusing drugs, they even admit it themselves in interviews, but are never picked up for it by the law!
Hopefully Snipes will learn a lesson from this anyway & maybe stop a few others taking the piss by not paying tax, although surely someone like him would employ somebody else to take care of his finances, and that the blame for his tax not being paid lies with them?

acealive1
21-Nov-2010, 09:12 PM
Dude, tax evasion is completely illegal.

no.......no it isnt. my dad has been making this same point for years. filing a false one is VERY illegal. but not filing at all isnt. he hasnt paid in about 5 years and hasnt heard a peep.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

"To Wong Foo" was also about transvestites on a road trip - not exactly a copy of Pricscilla which was a superior film. Still, "To Wong Foo" had it's moments. Snipes and Leguizamo were pretty good, though the late Swazye not so much.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Yeah, I detest that insipid Lohan too, but it was a different type of case. Obviously Lohan has a substance abuse and attitude problem, and the court system is now treating these folks as having a condition that needs to be remedied through treatment rather than viewing them as total criminals. However you might stand on Lohan being an unrepentant criminal or just a druggie, Snipes knowlingly evaded paying taxes - which is clearly a criminal offense (they same one they got Al Capone for) and totally illegal - that you and I and the rest of our law abiding fellow Americans have to pay. Hell dude, if I have to pay my taxes then so should he.

shitty justice system is all im saying. theres a 3 strikes law in cali......lohan's violated probation twice for testing positie for coke........and she isnt in jail......shes been busted numerous other times with it as well. paris hilton was busted THREE times during the world cup with weed AND coke. then got back to l.a. and got busted again.......guess what.....no jail time. T.I. gets busted for "hanging with a felon" and drug posession.....and gets sent back to jail..but the prosecution threw it out.....since well his wife is the 'felon' so they shoulda dragged him back in as soon as he was released since she picked him up. also the weed charge was dropped. hmm.........whats worse. kilos of coke or weed........jesus,man!!!!

Yojimbo
21-Nov-2010, 09:15 PM
no.......no it isnt. my dad has been making this same point for years. filing a false one is VERY illegal. but not filing at all isnt. he hasnt paid in about 5 years and hasnt heard a peep.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

shitty justice system is all im saying. theres a 3 strikes law in cali......lohan's violated probation twice for testing positie for coke........and she isnt in jail......shes been busted numerous other times with it as well. paris hilton was busted THREE times during the world cup with weed AND coke. then got back to l.a. and got busted again.......guess what.....no jail time. T.I. gets busted for "hanging with a felon" and drug posession.....and gets sent back to jail..but the prosecution threw it out.....since well his wife is the 'felon' so they shoulda dragged him back in as soon as he was released since she picked him up. also the weed charge was dropped. hmm.........whats worse. kilos of coke or weed........jesus,man!!!!

I assume your dad did not also file a false claim for several millions in returns like Snipes did.

Yeah, the justice system is pretty unbalanced for celebrities though, I will give you that.

acealive1
21-Nov-2010, 09:50 PM
I assume your dad did not also file a false claim for several millions in returns like Snipes did.

Yeah, the justice system is pretty unbalanced for celebrities though, I will give you that.

my dad doesnt make nearly what snipes does LOL. the business is worth quite abit,but the salary pales in comparison.

Neil
22-Nov-2010, 11:42 AM
or in the case of a certain former spice girls husband, that he likes boys as well as girls.
Huh? Really?

MikePizzoff
22-Nov-2010, 11:51 AM

Yes... yes it is. Tax evasion is illegal, no two ways about it. What your Dad does is tax avoidance, which is legal. What Wesley Snipes did was tax evasion.

Tricky
22-Nov-2010, 11:57 AM
Huh? Really?

Yeah my girlfriend is a PR exec & she told me its well known among those circles, but due to a super injunction he's taken out it can never be reported in the media. Allegedly he was caught giving head to a male photographer at one of the modelling shoots he's done!

acealive1
22-Nov-2010, 08:13 PM
Yes... yes it is. Tax evasion is illegal, no two ways about it. What your Dad does is tax avoidance, which is legal. What Wesley Snipes did was tax evasion.

cmon man, im not gonna argue with you here. all i know is the police woulda had a notice to pick him up....and since that side of the family is all cops in that city.........and he wasnt picked up......

ProfessorChaos
22-Nov-2010, 09:24 PM
Yeah my girlfriend is a PR exec & she told me its well known among those circles, but due to a super injunction he's taken out it can never be reported in the media. Allegedly he was caught giving head to a male photographer at one of the modelling shoots he's done!

if i'm thinking of the correct character, it gives new meaning to "bend it like beckham"....

Yojimbo
22-Nov-2010, 11:15 PM
cmon man, im not gonna argue with you here. all i know is the police woulda had a notice to pick him up....and since that side of the family is all cops in that city.........and he wasnt picked up......
Brother Ace, I think homeboy's agreeing with you about what your dad's doing is sort of legal. But what he is also saying is that what your dad does and what snipes did are two separate things, and in Snipes case he committed a crime where your dad did not.

Must be cool, btw, to have relatives that are cops so you don't have to have the same worries that non cop family folks got. Think you can get them to fix my ticket? :)

MikePizzoff
23-Nov-2010, 02:16 AM
Brother Ace, I think homeboy's agreeing with you about what your dad's doing is sort of legal. But what he is also saying is that what your dad does and what snipes did are two separate things, and in Snipes case he committed a crime where your dad did not.

Look at the big brain on Brett! [Steve]

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd256/AmerigoVespucci/PDVD_012b.jpg

acealive1
23-Nov-2010, 02:27 AM

i guess words are kinda hard to gauge online in a certain tense. sorry,dude.

MikePizzoff
23-Nov-2010, 06:03 PM
i guess words are kinda hard to gauge online in a certain tense. sorry,dude.

No worries. I didn't think you were arguing with me or anything, I just figured you weren't picking up what I was putting down.

acealive1
23-Nov-2010, 07:47 PM
No worries. I didn't think you were arguing with me or anything, I just figured you weren't picking up what I was putting down.

long work days suck when they start early LOL

Yojimbo
23-Nov-2010, 08:14 PM
long work days suck when they start early LOL

I heard that! I'm on my fifth week with no weekends off and 14+ hours a day soI have no life now and my only social interaction apart from saying hi and bye to my wife is HPOTD.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

"What?"

ProfessorChaos
23-Nov-2010, 08:54 PM
"What?"

m_mDTLphIVY

MikePizzoff
23-Nov-2010, 09:10 PM
'What' ain't no country I ever heard of!

acealive1
23-Nov-2010, 09:12 PM
I heard that! I'm on my fifth week with no weekends off and 14+ hours a day soI have no life now and my only social interaction apart from saying hi and bye to my wife is HPOTD.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

"What?"

wife? u mean one of us got married? lol. im sorta headed there now.......but i may need to get a chick with no kids.....im not raising someone elses if i cant have my own too.

oh and just so we're clear................Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say what one more Goddamn time!

Yojimbo
25-Nov-2010, 08:51 AM
wife? u mean one of us got married? lol. im sorta headed there now.......but i may need to get a chick with no kids.....im not raising someone elses if i cant have my own too.

oh and just so we're clear................Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say what one more Goddamn time!
"What?" ;)

Yeah, brother, I was lucky to be able to marry a living dead fan - few women will tolerate spending vacation time touring the back corridors of the Monroeville Mall, so I consider myself blessed as a totally lucky dude!